Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFuckMeRunnin
REALLY good looking
 User Gallery

Destroying Angels..Common?
    #14736372 - 07/08/11 01:35 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Today checked a new spot, it was an oak forest filled with large red oaks and some white oaks here and there. Also some pine scattered throughout. I found 83 destroying angels...Are they that common? I mean they were everywhere! This week was actually the first time I ever found one and found 83 just today. I swear my book says they like pine...I have only found them under oak trees....O and although checked 2 new locations and over 120 oak trees still no chanterelles...You think the lack of any rain in the last few weeks is the reason I'm not finding any? Also do destroying angels and chanterelles like the same terrain?

--------------------
Grain Jar to Homemade Mycobag Tek
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/10954174

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Loc: NY
Trusted Identifier
Re: Destroying Angels..Common? [Re: FuckMeRunnin]
    #14736710 - 07/08/11 02:53 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yes destroying Angels can be very common. When the season and conditions are right around here I've seen a couple of dozen or more in a single hike.

I don't find my chants under oak either. Mixed woods. I haven't figured out what trees they like here. I find them scattered and never in the same place twice. You can find both species in the same areas around here...mixed woods; with or without oak.

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

Offlinedavide
mycaabe wannologist
Male

Loc: ptown Flag
Re: Destroying Angels..Common? [Re: Bobzimmer]
    #14736848 - 07/08/11 03:21 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

pics or it didn't happen :smile:

InvisibleBretdaniel
Heavy Vibes

Re: Destroying Angels..Common? [Re: davide]
    #14737648 - 07/08/11 06:31 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah funny how certain mushrooms can be so common and then hard to find past few weeks I find so many blushers.

OfflineFuckMeRunnin
REALLY good looking
 User Gallery

#14737944 - 07/08/11 07:48 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bobzimmer said:

I don't find my chants under oak either. Mixed woods. I haven't figured out what trees they like here. I find them scattered and never in the same place twice. You can find both species in the same areas around here...mixed woods; with or without oak.

Hmmmm that just adds to the mystery. I have searched so many god damn different terrains and still nothing. I guess I will start looking more for mossy ground. I have another spot in mind, but its deep in the mountains. I haven't really had much luck mushroom hunting in the mountains tho. I think that a good rain would really help, since its been in the high 80s recently reaching low 90s and hardly any rain. The dirt is turning to dust, its getting pretty bad.

(Off topic but)

Also I see that in the west, morels are found in pine forests and forests that had burned down 3-5 years earlier. I have yet to find a morel growing anywhere but under elm, some times under apple, and ash, and once in a blue moon under walnut and cherry. I don't really understand this, are they not the same fungi? Iv never found one under a pine or softwood tree or a previously burned down area...Never.

One more thing, with the death of the elm due to dutch elm, and elm yellows, its not going to be too long before all the elm trees are gone...Unless I go up on Penn States campus where millions are spent yearly to keep there massive elms alive, all the ones I see are dying...Even PSU's efforts to keep their precious elms is slowly failing, with each year more and more elms being cut down before infection can spread...It will seriously alter the whole landscape of the campus...Its pretty apparent that the "American" elm is doomed, it wont be around for much longer...sadly. Right now, the only real hope for the future of the elm tree, is the hybrids they are making by mixing the American elm with Asian and European elms that are resistant to the diseases. So eventually no true "American" elms will exist.

Ok, so based on the info I provided about the fate of the American elm, do you think that when they do die off, morels will change too? I mean elms are the tree of trees for morels in the north east and with them gone, It makes me wonder what will happen to the morel? Will they become a rarity? Will they jump ship and grow from another type of tree? Even now, a good portion of my spots from 3 years ago no longer produce...

--------------------

InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #14738005 - 07/08/11 08:03 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Dutch elm disease has already ravaged this area. All the elms are already gone. A few are growing back. The morels are here still, but I can't tell you the difference from before to after the elms. I find them under ash, apple, dead elm. Never pine. Things are different out west and different species of morels are involved.

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:
I will confess something that should be quite obvious, CC.  I love mushrooms, i.e. fungi.  I really do.  I am talking about a strong feeling, i.e. emotion, for them.  I think they are beautiful.  I even dream of them.

OfflineFuckMeRunnin
REALLY good looking
 User Gallery

#14738106 - 07/08/11 08:33 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Hmmm interesting. Now when you go on an average morel hunt, finding them under ash, apple, and dead elms what quantity are we talking? Here you will probably find under ash maybe 1 out of every 30 to 40 trees. The first year on my own hunting morels, I looked under ash, and i consider it a waste of time for a newb, cuz here they really don't produce. Apple is always a win, but always on private property... Dead elm, really? I find hardly any under "dead" elm. The trees here are either dead, and don't produce, or dying which is the best. Honestly if its dead, like hasn't had even a bud appear in the last two years it wont produce. I actually have the best luck under elms that have just been infected. So the ones with just a small section dead, are always the winners. This obviously is getting harder and harder to find, because all the trees I hunt are ill and will be dead within the next few years. Now during the peak of the season, I can find 10-25 pounds in a day, from a one mile long ridge. Roughly 60 trees. Is that like the numbers you see as well or will my numbers be falling like a rock when my elms die and I'm forced to relearn my tree identification :mad:

--------------------

InvisibleBobzimmer
Crawlin' Kingsnake
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #14738186 - 07/08/11 08:48 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I don't see those numbers in an entire season...

Yes; newly dead/dying elms. Which around here means small trees cause the old one died twenty years ago...and we had lots of 'em. After they're dead a few years they cease to produce. Maybe you're fucked.

--------------------
Mr. Mushrooms said:

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Puget Sound
Trusted Identifier
    #14738406 - 07/08/11 09:35 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FuckMeRunnin said:
I found 83 destroying angels...Are they that common? I mean they were everywhere!

Poisonous Amanita species are common enough in some places that they post signs to warn people.

This sign is for Death Caps and not the Destroying Angel complex but close enough. You get the point.

--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Looking for wild Panaeolus cinctulus and Panaeolus olivaceus prints.

Offlineelprawn
Mushroom Guestimator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ilford, England
Trusted Identifier
Re: Destroying Angels..Common? [Re: BlimeyGrimey]
    #14738412 - 07/08/11 09:36 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

BlimeyGrimey said:
Quote:

FuckMeRunnin said:
I found 83 destroying angels...Are they that common? I mean they were everywhere!

They are common enough in some places that they post signs to warn people.

That's warning against death cap, not destroying angel. :tongue:

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
Re: Destroying Angels..Common? [Re: elprawn]
    #14738421 - 07/08/11 09:37 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Read my edit. :tongue:

--------------------
Message me for free microscopy services on Psilocybe, Panaeolus, and Gymnopilus species.

Offlineelprawn
Mushroom Guestimator
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #14738435 - 07/08/11 09:40 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I think he specifically meant A. bisporigera, though. That was the impression that I got.

InvisibleBlimeyGrimey
Collector of Spores
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Identifier
    #14738489 - 07/08/11 09:57 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

:House2:

--------------------

Offlineelprawn
Mushroom Guestimator
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #14738547 - 07/08/11 10:06 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not splitting hairs! I honestly thought that was what he meant.

Quote:

BlimeyGrimey said:
:House2:

OfflineFuckMeRunnin
REALLY good looking
 User Gallery

#14738586 - 07/08/11 10:12 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

So that you don't think I'm a bullshitter about my morel numbers, I do have some pics from one day out and also some dried pics I sent to a friend in Montana  half way through the season.
This hunt was 25 pounds. The pic was taken standing on a bar stole standing over the counter, from end to end that pile spans three and a half feet.

Next up half way through the season dried...I dry all my morels, the taste is soooo much better and more flavorful, when it comes to morels fresh isn't better. These bags are gallon size and the morels are halved and dried so that alone will last me 2 years ha haha.

I may not be able to find chanterelles like you dicks...:wink: But I have yet to find a person better at hunting morels haha.

--------------------

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
    #14738766 - 07/08/11 10:50 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FuckMeRunnin said:
Quote:

Bobzimmer said:

Hmmmm that just adds to the mystery. I have searched so many god damn different terrains and still nothing. I guess I will start looking more for mossy ground. I have another spot in mind, but its deep in the mountains. I haven't really had much luck mushroom hunting in the mountains tho. I think that a good rain would really help, since its been in the high 80s recently reaching low 90s and hardly any rain. The dirt is turning to dust, its getting pretty bad.

(Off topic but)

Also I see that in the west, morels are found in pine forests and forests that had burned down 3-5 years earlier. I have yet to find a morel growing anywhere but under elm, some times under apple, and ash, and once in a blue moon under walnut and cherry. I don't really understand this, are they not the same fungi? Iv never found one under a pine or softwood tree or a previously burned down area...Never.

One more thing, with the death of the elm due to dutch elm, and elm yellows, its not going to be too long before all the elm trees are gone...Unless I go up on Penn States campus where millions are spent yearly to keep there massive elms alive, all the ones I see are dying...Even PSU's efforts to keep their precious elms is slowly failing, with each year more and more elms being cut down before infection can spread...It will seriously alter the whole landscape of the campus...Its pretty apparent that the "American" elm is doomed, it wont be around for much longer...sadly. Right now, the only real hope for the future of the elm tree, is the hybrids they are making by mixing the American elm with Asian and European elms that are resistant to the diseases. So eventually no true "American" elms will exist.

Ok, so based on the info I provided about the fate of the American elm, do you think that when they do die off, morels will change too? I mean elms are the tree of trees for morels in the north east and with them gone, It makes me wonder what will happen to the morel? Will they become a rarity? Will they jump ship and grow from another type of tree? Even now, a good portion of my spots from 3 years ago no longer produce...

this is the magic of mushroom hunting, each forest is different, each ecosystem never the same. Its best to learn your forest and learn your fungus. I can assure you the forest will never let you down. Work with it, and nature will always be there for you. Chants here love growing on creek beds, on the sides facing north, in very piny forests. I have found morels under sumac trees, and under maple, also fruiting inbetween the sidewalk near the skatepark. Morels are a tricky beast, they elude me like it is something personal./

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Edited by snoot (07/08/11 10:52 PM)

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14738776 - 07/08/11 10:54 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FuckMeRunnin said:
So that you don't think I'm a bullshitter about my morel numbers, I do have some pics from one day out and also some dried pics I sent to a friend in Montana  half way through the season.
This hunt was 25 pounds. The pic was taken standing on a bar stole standing over the counter, from end to end that pile spans three and a half feet.

Next up half way through the season dried...I dry all my morels, the taste is soooo much better and more flavorful, when it comes to morels fresh isn't better. These bags are gallon size and the morels are halved and dried so that alone will last me 2 years ha haha.

I may not be able to find chanterelles like you dicks...:wink: But I have yet to find a person better at hunting morels haha.

where you from? Some people are just lucky with morels, I can find just about any gourmet mushroom around me cept morels, morels I just need to get lucky.

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineFuckMeRunnin
REALLY good looking
 User Gallery

#14738875 - 07/08/11 11:22 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Central PA is where I am located. In my area, morels grow under "dying" or recently infected elm trees. I would not waste time on ash or apple because being able to distinguish an elm in the right conditions, you will be set. Also a "Dead" elm is worthless, if the bark is pealing off and its dead its no good. It took two years before I was able to pick out a perfect morel tree. If I was to tell a new morel hunter were to look it would be simple...Look for train tracks or abandoned train tracks, elm and walnut always grow along train tracks, so do apple trees. Look for black soil, and the may apple plant. Then learn your trees...Seriously tree identification was the most important thing, also soil conditions based on the season, early on you find them in low black highly saturated soil, under small elms, later on they grow in the higher lands under larger elm trees. See, I wish I could find milky caps, indigo Mikey's, black trumpets, chanterelles, honey mushrooms, chicken mushroom, hen of the woods....But I fucking cant...All I can find are morels...So I guess either you are good at finding mushrooms...or your good at finding morels hahaha.

--------------------

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #14739050 - 07/09/11 12:16 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FuckMeRunnin said:
Central PA is where I am located. In my area, morels grow under "dying" or recently infected elm trees. I would not waste time on ash or apple because being able to distinguish an elm in the right conditions, you will be set. Also a "Dead" elm is worthless, if the bark is pealing off and its dead its no good. It took two years before I was able to pick out a perfect morel tree. If I was to tell a new morel hunter were to look it would be simple...Look for train tracks or abandoned train tracks, elm and walnut always grow along train tracks, so do apple trees. Look for black soil, and the may apple plant. Then learn your trees...Seriously tree identification was the most important thing, also soil conditions based on the season, early on you find them in low black highly saturated soil, under small elms, later on they grow in the higher lands under larger elm trees. See, I wish I could find milky caps, indigo Mikey's, black trumpets, chanterelles, honey mushrooms, chicken mushroom, hen of the woods....But I fucking cant...All I can find are morels...So I guess either you are good at finding mushrooms...or your good at finding morels hahaha.

lol see I'm the exact opposite, I can find just about anything else with a fair amount of confidence, cept morels. I can forage and recon the ultimate spots for morels, and they will never fruit there, year after year, I find the most absurdly awesome spots that never fruit. All while friends of mine are finding them in their backyard and etc..etc..

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineFuckMeRunnin
REALLY good looking
 User Gallery

Re: Destroying Angels..Common? [Re: snoot]
    #14740222 - 07/09/11 10:01 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I do feel your pain on searching the perfect spot with no results, worst, feeling, ever...Then looking next door as your neighbor picking 200 off his flower bed that was recently mulched with hard wood chips...True story go figure :shrug:. Then again I always go back to a perfect spot, example near my parents house I never found a morel growing up, despite the large amounts of dying elms and my grandfathers help identifying trees, but those 12 years didn't stop me, and guess what? Starting last year out of the blue, the whole forest blew up with them! out of no were they just started coming and coming and coming...Its almost like the age of the forest itself is more important then the trees in question. That being said most spots are good for only 3-6 years...So my best spots from 4 years ago are now my secondary spots and spots I hadn't seen a morel under until last year are now my main producers. So morel of the story haha, that forest you kept saying, it has to produce it just has to...Just give it...Say, 10 years? :wink:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck