Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

[WA] Woman dies from apparent drug overdose at Rainbow Family Gathering
    #14729556 - 07/07/11 01:27 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Woman dies from apparent drug overdose at Rainbow Family Gathering
July 6, 2011 - columbian.com

Camp sites stand erected at the Rainbow Family Gathering in the Gifford Pinchot National Forest

A 25-year-old California woman was found dead from a suspected drug overdose Wednesday morning at the Rainbow Family Gathering in Gifford Pinchot National Forest, Skamania County officials said.

An autopsy will be performed in Clark County on Amber Kellar of Weed, Calif., to determine her official cause of death, Skamania County Sheriff Dave Brown said. It was unclear what drug or drugs might have triggered the woman’s death, he added.

Reports of drug use have been frequent during the weeklong Rainbow Family Gathering, Brown said.

On June 24, a man who was helping set up the gathering died, Brown said. Stephen Pierce, 50, was from Fort Bragg, Calif., the sheriff said. Brown said officials do not yet know how Pierce died. Pierce’s body was sent to the Clark County Medical Examiner’s Office, officials said.

Officials estimated around 20,000 outdoors enthusiasts, peace activists and spiritual seekers attended this year’s Rainbow Family Gathering. The Rainbow Family Gathering started in 1972. Since then, events bearing the nonprofit organization’s name have been held across America and in other countries. The organization has no official leaders or members.

Campers from across America and Canada converged on Gifford Pinchot National Forest to leave behind the constraints of capitalism and modern technology, pray for world peace and enjoy nature’s beauty.

Since the event began Friday, there have been reports of assaults, traffic collisions and marijuana, heroin, psychedelic mushroom and acid use, Brown said. He said a man on Sunday was badly hurt in a motorcycle accident on Curly Creek Road about four miles from the gathering. He said another man was hurt in a car crash on Saturday on state Highway 14, east of Stevenson. He said he believed both men are at PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center.

He did not have official numbers on citations, arrests or towed vehicles related to the event. However, Brown said he believed the number of citations and arrests will top 300.

Brown said he was disappointed about what he believed was “fairly rampant” drug use at Skookum Meadows.

The gathering officially ends today, although a small cadre of campers are expected to remain on site to clean the campgrounds. There are no reports yet about the condition of the grounds.

“It’s a little premature until we get out there and do some type of assessment,” said Ken Sandusky, an assistant spokesman with Gifford Pinchot National Forest.

Campers began filing out en masse Monday, Brown said. He estimated more than 8,000 people remained in Skookum Meadows Tuesday, but that number was expected to drop rapidly.

Brown expressed concerns prior to the gathering about how the event could negatively affect Skamania County’s jail population and court docket. He said his jail holds 50 persons and there were 43 in the jail on Monday. Some were related to the gathering but Brown said he will not tabulate exact numbers for at least a week.

“We were able to weather the storm,” he said. He noted many people detained on active warrants were brought to Clark County to ensure Skamania County’s jail did not suffer overcrowding.

The number of people in the Skamania County court has fluctuated over recent days, but that is not necessarily because of Rainbow Family attendees, a court official said.

“It would be wrong of me to say the tickets are from the Rainbow festival because I don’t know that’s what they’re for,” said Karen Wyninger, court administrator for Skamania County.

Some people arrested were taken to Tacoma to stand before a federal judge, Brown said.

No arrests were made on the “three or four” assaults reported during the gathering because victims did not know their attackers and most campers refused to speak with investigators, Brown said.

“The investigative effort is very difficult,” he said.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesaxx
Stranger

Re: [WA] Woman dies from apparent drug overdose at Rainbow Family Gathering [Re: veggie]
    #14730570 - 07/07/11 10:44 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Poor girl. Giving 1:5 odds in your favor that she was in A-camp

--------------------
sucking dick for drink tickets
at the free bar at my cousin's bat mitzvah

zappateer said:
I'm not wasting time at school. I'm gaining hella knowledge and life experience, not trying to use my degree for financial gain.

Invisibledwpineal
Psychedelic Artist
 User Gallery

Re: [WA] Woman dies from apparent drug overdose at Rainbow Family Gathering [Re: saxx]
    #14730668 - 07/07/11 11:09 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not taking that action...:smile:

I'm surprised to hear reports of 4 assaults, but I guess the microcosm analogy holds true here as well...

Invisiblemuistrue
Inspired by the mystery
 User Gallery

Loc: Behind the Redwoods
Re: [WA] Woman dies from apparent drug overdose at Rainbow Family Gathering [Re: veggie]
    #14733339 - 07/07/11 08:34 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Shit happens when raw life is crystallized in one spot. The universe doesn't discriminate, you gotta take the bad with the good.

--------------------

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: [WA] Woman dies from apparent drug overdose at Rainbow Family Gathering [Re: muistrue]
    #14734071 - 07/07/11 11:30 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

FractalDust said:
Shit happens when raw life is crystallized in one spot. The universe doesn't discriminate, you gotta take the bad with the good.

Well said.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Invisiblet00th
something terrible
Male
Loc: the dirty dirty
Re: [WA] Woman dies from apparent drug overdose at Rainbow Family Gathering [Re: SuperD]
    #14734089 - 07/07/11 11:36 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

SuperD said:
Quote:

FractalDust said:

Well said.

--------------------
:partykid:

OfflineLightShedder
Trading currencies
 User Gallery

Loc: AustinDenverLA
Re: [WA] Woman dies from apparent drug overdose at Rainbow Family Gathering [Re: t00th]
    #14734449 - 07/08/11 01:21 AM (12 years, 8 months ago)

But what about bonnaroo?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds