Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Growing HBW
    #1470278 - 04/18/03 12:04 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Last night I had my first trip on HBW seeds, and it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life!  I am currently growing a couple very healthy morning glory plants indoors, but I'd really like to try growing an HBW plant if it's possible.  I did a search on growing HBW, but no matches were found, so I was hoping somebody here could give me a few pointers on how to properly plant the seeds and take care of the plants.  I live in Northern Pennsylvania, so I'm assuming that this will have to be an indoor operation.  Any tips will be appreciated!  Peace and love to you all! :laugh:

-RebelSteve 

--------------------
Namaste.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGreen_Hands
The Great Devourer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Old World
Re: Growing HBW [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #4236038 - 05/30/05 08:48 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------

Looping our reflections, our obsessions draw us in
Fix and fixation, no sentience beyond

OfflineChemical_Bliss
Officer of thelaw...
Re: Growing HBW [Re: Green_Hands]
    #4236339 - 05/30/05 10:58 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

I have found HBWR to be possibly the most easy ethno to cultivate. The oldest plant I have is an HBWR, almost 4 years old. I live in PA as well, Northeast, and move mine outside every summer, and bring it back in in the fall. I usually end up having to cut more than half the roots off just so I can fit it in a 20 gallon pot I have. This plant is a tank.

Let me try to assemble a bit of cultivation info for ya. I`ll post it later.

--------------------
'divine moments of truth, total and utter cosmic stuff...'
'be here now... i love everybody'

OfflineChemical_Bliss
Officer of thelaw...
Re: Growing HBW [Re: Chemical_Bliss]
    #4236435 - 05/30/05 11:31 AM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Germination.

HBWR has a very tough seed coat and nicking aids in germination alot. This is how I nick them.
Take very sharp scissors and make a shallow snip away from the germ eye, just piercing the seed coat.
Alternatively you can take a file a file away a bit, again away from the germ eye. Some people
recommend pouring boiling water over the freshly nicked seeds, and to let them sit over night, I have
found this is not necessary. Plant in free draining soil ( HBWR is somewhat susceptible to rot)
In any event if the seeds are good germination should occur in less than a week.

Lighting.

HBWR does not like a lot of light when it is young. I put my seedlings in direct light every day until they show some signs of wilting, then take them out. This way the seedlings are getting the maximum amount of sunlight they can handle and soon adapt to it and pump out as much growth as possible. Alternatively you can start them off outside in pots in full sun. This way they will adapt to lots of light very quickly, again take them out of the sun when they show signs of wilting.

Water.

Keep soil moist but not wet. As I mentioned they seem to be somewhat vulnerable to rot when they are young. Still make sure to water regularly. If they remain dry to long they will start to wilt and appear to have gotten too much sun. I have lost many plants thinking they where simply getting too much light when all it was was low moisture.

Once well established.

HBWR, unlike its close relative Morning Glory, is a very slow grower, and can take up to two years to even reach a foot tall.
I feed mine regularly with Peters 20,20,20, which it seems to respond well to. I`m sure any fertilizer will do. Also I recommend worm castings when younger (big fisherman and always have a bunch laying around:)). Whatever you use just make sure to start off with half the recommended strength.

Flowering and seeds.

Let me start off by saying....Good luck with that if you dont live in a tropical climate. I got alot of flowers one year which eventually led to a couple seed pods. I hear the most important factor in getting them to flower (which I believe is true about any plant) is enough space for the roots. HBWR gets pot bound very easily after its first year or so of growth...you think shes barely growing but it seems to focus its energy on growing roots. As I said I keep mine in a 20 gallon pot and its still pot bound until I move it outside for the season. I cant think of any practical container that could be used to give its massive root system space, a 55 gallon oil drum perhaps.

I hope you can find this of some use. And if you have any questions at all dont hesitate to PM me. Happy growing!!!!

--------------------
'divine moments of truth, total and utter cosmic stuff...'
'be here now... i love everybody'

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Growing HBW [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #4238199 - 05/30/05 09:34 PM (18 years, 9 months ago)

Here are two small images of woodrose frm Koh Samui, Thailand. I have no way to compress images in computer cafe. Cheap materials here.|So images are small

mj

No seeds yet, some flowers bloomin.\\

mjshroomer\\and have a shroomy day

I too love woodrose.

somewhere there is a picture of me at the Shroomery with about a thirty pound bag of picked seeds.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck