Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleCyclohexylamine
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
 User Gallery

Universities / Colleges are greedy bastards
    #14664188 - 06/24/11 07:46 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have to pay my entire tuition by July 7th or cannot go to school. Ontario / Canada has some shitty ass program called OSAP which offers interest free loans, however I cannot get accepted.
Why?
Because according to them my parents make too much money.
Which is fucked up because:
A) I do not live with my parents and have not for around 4-5 years.
B) My parents obviously do not pay for my education - fuck I don't live with them or anything.

After talking to the OSAP people they tell me that the most I can do is put in an appeal but they doubt it will be successful.

So now I have to get into even more debt through a interest loan from a bank, hopefully I get accepted for it.

:mad2:

--------------------
Yes this is tymo - I just changed my name

Have you ever had a dream that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to awake from that dream? How would you know the difference between that dream world and the real world?

There is NOTHING better than feeling that warm dissociative fuzz creeping up your body from IM K
Something abut that anaesthetic rush... :inlove:

Qualitative Research Chemical Effects and Experiences
The Wonderful World of Methoxetamine
The 3-Meo-PCP Chapters, Part One

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
Re: Universities / Colleges are greedy bastards [Re: Cyclohexylamine]
    #14664199 - 06/24/11 07:48 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

colleges can't be greedy

people are greedy

InvisibleCyclohexylamine
 User Gallery

Re: Universities / Colleges are greedy bastards [Re: morrowasted]
    #14664211 - 06/24/11 07:52 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
colleges can't be greedy

people are greedy

:rolleyes:

Fine the people running them are.
Tuition is overpriced.
I have to pay for shit I don't want to have.

--------------------

Have you ever had a dream that you were so sure was real? What if you were unable to awake from that dream? How would you know the difference between that dream world and the real world?

There is NOTHING better than feeling that warm dissociative fuzz creeping up your body from IM K

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
    #14664258 - 06/24/11 08:14 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

tuition in canada is dirt cheap compared to here

InvisibleCyclohexylamine
 User Gallery

Re: Universities / Colleges are greedy bastards [Re: morrowasted]
    #14664277 - 06/24/11 08:22 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

morrowasted said:
tuition in canada is dirt cheap compared to here

Not really - only if you are comparing private universities in the states.

--------------------

OfflineLeanin
Student of theIron Game
 User Gallery

#14664279 - 06/24/11 08:23 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i got 4200 per semester for fafsa. about 1800 more than i need per semester to finish my degree. muahhahahah.

Invisiblethe human abstract
malaka the werewolf
Male User Gallery

#14664286 - 06/24/11 08:27 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tymoteusz3 said:
B) My parents obviously do not pay for my education - fuck I don't live with them or anything.

How much we talking here?  If they Rothschild I would understand.

This is bogus, do they claim you as a dependent?

--------------------
★★

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Universities / Colleges are greedy bastards [Re: the human abstract]
    #14664296 - 06/24/11 08:30 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

the human abstract said:

Yeah, I'm not understanding how your parent's income has any bearing on you getting a loan.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Universities / Colleges are greedy bastards [Re: badchad]
    #14664297 - 06/24/11 08:30 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

badchad said:
Quote:

the human abstract said:

Yeah, I'm not understanding how your parent's income has any bearing on you getting a loan.

This.

InvisibleCyclohexylamine
 User Gallery

Re: Universities / Colleges are greedy bastards [Re: the human abstract]
    #14664307 - 06/24/11 08:32 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

the human abstract said:
Quote:

tymoteusz3 said:

How much we talking here?  If they Rothschild I would understand.

I don't know the exact amount but its just over 100K.
And no I am hardly their dependent. I am 100% independent of them.
And they live just over an hour away.

The reasoning I got from the office was that since I had a car (nevermind its a 500 dollar POS which I clearly stated the value of it) I can live with my parents and they can pay for it. The review board is fucked up.

What pisses me off is that so many kids use the OSAP money and party alot of it away. And now its going to be fucking hard to make ends meet let alone pay for education.

--------------------

Edited by Cyclohexylamine (06/24/11 08:33 AM)

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#14664315 - 06/24/11 08:34 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tymoteusz3 said:
The reasoning I got from the office was that since I had a car (nevermind its a 500 dollar POS which I clearly stated the value of it) I can live with my parents and they can pay for it. The review board is fucked up.

You need to get up their ass and press them on the issue.

A vague reference to you owning a car is not a justified "reason".  You're missing something.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#14664319 - 06/24/11 08:35 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

But you don't live with them.... that doesn't make any sense you're completely independent.

Invisiblethe human abstract
malaka the werewolf
Male User Gallery

Re: Universities / Colleges are greedy bastards [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #14664328 - 06/24/11 08:38 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

100k a year isn't even spectacular money between two people.  50k a year is what you can make here in a trade.

Press because you are a dependent according to your government.

--------------------
★★

InvisibleCyclohexylamine
 User Gallery

#14664338 - 06/24/11 08:40 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
But you don't live with them.... that doesn't make any sense you're completely independent.

I went over this with the lady. The most she would say was that I could file an appeal so I did.

But like she said she doubts it will be successful. She even sympathized a little with me but said it was not her decision and she couldn't do anything about it.

It makes me upset because here I am completely independent trying to get a better education and because my parents who I have not lived with in YEARS (and they know this, due to my address and everything having changed years ago) make over a set threshold they claim that my parents have the ability to pay for it, even though they are not.

The exact reasons were:

- Parents make over a set amount (they didn't specify), they have the ability to pay for it
- I don't "have" to live on my own - I could be living with my parents - I think this one pisses me off the most
- Since I own a car, they don't see why I cannot live with my parents have them pay and drive to school.

Well I filed an appeal thing with them so heres hoping I can actually get somewhere with it.

--------------------

Edited by Cyclohexylamine (06/24/11 08:43 AM)

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#14664353 - 06/24/11 08:43 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tymoteusz3 said:
Quote:

pwnasaurus said:

I went over this with the lady. The most she would say was that I could file an appeal so I did.

But like she said she doubts it will be successful. She even sympathized a little with me but said it was not her decision and she couldn't do anything about it.

It makes me upset because here I am completely independent trying to get a better education and because my parents who I have not lived with in YEARS (and they know this, due to my address and everything having changed years ago) make over a set threshold they claim that my parents have the ability to pay for it, even though they are not.

The exact reasons were:

- Parents make over a set amount (they didn't specify), they have the ability to pay for it
- I don't "have" to live on my own - I could be living with my parents - I think this one pisses me off the most
- Since I own a car, they don't see why I cannot live with my parents have them pay and drive to school.

That makes absolutely not sense.  At this point, since you're 18 and independent of them, they're not really your 'parents'  in the eyes of the system.  They're just another adult like you.

InvisibleCyclohexylamine
 User Gallery

#14664362 - 06/24/11 08:46 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
Quote:

tymoteusz3 said:
Quote:

pwnasaurus said:

The exact reasons were:

That makes absolutely not sense.  At this point, since you're 18 and independent of them, they're not really your 'parents'  in the eyes of the system.  They're just another adult like you.

I moved out when I was 17ish - that was like 4 and a bit years ago - I am a little bit older than 18 :P

--------------------

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
    #14664374 - 06/24/11 08:52 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Colleges like to do the "you could be living off your parents" crock of shit all the time, especially when it comes to loans.  They tend to press this if you're under the age of 25, however by law (at least here), if you're over 25 they cannot hold your parents income against you for loans, and they Have to claim you as independant, so if you're making 10k a year, you're making 10k a year regardless if you're parents are making 100k, or even millions.

Financial help and loans (for college) like to try to screw you out any way they can so that you can't apply.

InvisibleCyclohexylamine
 User Gallery

Re: Universities / Colleges are greedy bastards [Re: Maverick]
    #14664377 - 06/24/11 08:54 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Maverick said:
Colleges like to do the "you could be living off your parents" crock of shit all the time, especially when it comes to loans.  They tend to press this if you're under the age of 25, however by law (at least here), if you're over 25 they cannot hold your parents income against you for loans, and they Have to claim you as independant, so if you're making 10k a year, you're making 10k a year regardless if you're parents are making 100k, or even millions.

Financial help and loans (for college) like to try to screw you out any way they can so that you can't apply.

Yeah I believe under 25 is what OSAP considers a dependent.
Oh well I will manage either way I have for years but it still is frustrating because it makes it so much harder.

--------------------

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
    #14664382 - 06/24/11 08:57 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hey, when you get past 25 they have some other bullshit that makes it so you can't apply.  So you finally reach 'independant' but can't return to the regular classes you were previously, you have to take a shitton of placement tests.  Never understood that, something about 'being out of highschool too long.'  What does that matter when you've still taken classes and have credits?

OnlinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
    #14664513 - 06/24/11 09:46 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

tymoteusz3 said:
I have to pay my entire tuition by July 7th or cannot go to school. Ontario / Canada has some shitty ass program called OSAP which offers interest free loans, however I cannot get accepted.
Why?
Because according to them my parents make too much money.
Which is fucked up because:
A) I do not live with my parents and have not for around 4-5 years.

After talking to the OSAP people they tell me that the most I can do is put in an appeal but they doubt it will be successful.

So now I have to get into even more debt through a interest loan from a bank, hopefully I get accepted for it.

:mad2:

Dude, go see OSAP again. They cannot decide to not give you a loan if your parents have money. Cause its not you. UNLESS you are a minor.

Be very carefule answering that.

Also. What are you studying? Make sure its a line of work that requires the degree your getting.

I studied 6 years in business management because I'm an entrepreneur and I want to invest in real estate. After 6 years the only thing I learn was how to become a middle manager answering to a bigger boss and managing a few people.

Wasted 6 years at 6000$ a year, + the potential of having a year long full time job.

I could of saved around 100000$ If I havent been to university and I would of been way ahead of what I am now in my real estate ventures.

I got a piece of paper on my wall that i'm never gonna use though

:awethumb:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom