Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineRewindicus
Silly Goose
Male User Gallery

microtape or stalkings to fight against gnats/flies in shotgun?
    #14646795 - 06/21/11 03:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I tried searching for posts about this idea but had no luck. So yah just curious.....as far as posts ive read about gnats and flies being a major pain in the ass in fruiting chambers what about stalkings and or microtape?

does it disrupt the airflow too much?

not really keep the bugs out anyways?

anyone got any experience?

Rewindicus

--------------------
“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”- Dr. Seuss

"Too much of a good thing, can be wonderful!" - Mae West

"If you have nothing nice to say about anyone, come sit next to me."
- Alice Roosevelt Longworth

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Loc: A tree house
Trusted Cultivator
Re: microtape or stalkings to fight against gnats/flies in shotgun? [Re: Rewindicus]
    #14646839 - 06/21/11 04:37 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Rewindicus said:
does it disrupt the airflow too much?

Yes, that's why you don't want to use micropore tape. I think RR uses sticky paper. Both inside and outside the FC.

--------------------

You have to die a few times before you can really live.

-Charles Bukowski-

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: microtape or stalkings to fight against gnats/flies in shotgun? [Re: LeopardMan]
    #14647493 - 06/21/11 09:42 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

read about gnats and flies being a major pain in the ass in fruiting chambers

That's news to me. 

The presence of a gnat or fly doesn't indicate a major problem.  It indicates nature is alive and well.  If you have too many fungus gnats, find out which of your houseplants they're using to breed in the potting soil, and discard or flood it, to drown the larvae.

Taping or screening the holes on a shotgun terrarium will defeat the purpose of massive fresh air exchange as a pinning trigger and contaminant mold preventative.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineKing Cap
Beginning Mycologist
Male

Loc: South Park Colorado
Re: microtape or stalkings to fight against gnats/flies in shotgun? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14647572 - 06/21/11 10:00 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I had a brief problem with flies. I just got a handheld dust buster, turned it on lowest setting and vacuumed them up, havent seen one in weeks

--------------------
"Snow is like sex. You never know how much your gonna get or how long it's gonna last"

OfflineOvoideus
Stranger

Re: microtape or stalkings to fight against gnats/flies in shotgun? [Re: King Cap]
    #14647739 - 06/21/11 10:43 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have lots of either fungus gnats or fruit flies.  That's likely because I have a vermicomposting bin in my kitchen, so they likely breed in the rotting food before the worms can consume it all.  I think I need to bury the food deeper, or maybe only feed the worms as much as they are able to consume before the flies can lay their eggs, but I wish there was some way I could manually control the fly populations... 

I wonder if something like sticky cards would work.  Fly paper, ya know?  I know it works for white flies and maybe some other stuff, but not sure about gnats.  Could definitely be easy to find in the supermarket or garden center.

Also, what about some sort of a botanical spray?  I would think there has to be something out there that would repel them to the point of retreat, and if you were to spray it in your fruiting chamber, assuming it's not something that would hurt the mushrooms, would been an effective method of control.  I'm trying to think....but nothing good is coming to mind.  Anyone's knowledgeable input on that matter would certainly be helpful to the discussion I suppose.

InvisibleTranscendingLife
I Don't Need a Life to Live
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: microtape or stalkings to fight against gnats/flies in shotgun? [Re: Ovoideus]
    #14647997 - 06/21/11 11:41 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

mosquito dunks work for fungus gnats.

--------------------
AMU: We Quickly Answer Questions Here
"One must accept the probability of failure to experience the elation of success." - TranscendingLife
“A man of genius makes no mistakes; his errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
:sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop::wow:How I Do EVERYTHING:wow::sporedrop::sporedrop::mushroomgrow::sporedrop::sporedrop:
"Your vision will become clear only when you can look into your own heart…. Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes."- Carl Jung
"Anything that can be done chemically can be done by other means."- William S. Burroughs
"You are as dead now as you will ever be" - Seth

Offlinetotal
Post Office Tyvek Advocator
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: microtape or stalkings to fight against gnats/flies in shotgun? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #14648090 - 06/21/11 11:58 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

:whathesaid:

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
If you have too many fungus gnats, find out which of your houseplants they're using to breed in the potting soil, and discard or flood it, to drown the larvae.
RR

Drown them out, and then separate your plants from myco!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix