Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

Should I drop trigonometry to avoid a 'W' and/or less than an A? And a bitch rant...
    #14629371 - 06/17/11 05:43 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, I FUCKING hate math with a passion! I think I can safely say that I hate math more than I hate organized religion and the government. I don't know what I was thinking registering for trig during summer school. I've read the first chapter and part of the second chapter and all I've got to say is, "HOly shit I've never had to memorize so much shit in my life in ANY class I've EVER taken in college!" All those goddam trig functions, terminology, remembering which side is the hypotenuse or adjacent or whatever the other one is, fucking x y and z and r. God!!!

Anyway, a little background info before I ask the question: Finished general ed (for california cal state system) at a jc in cali. The economy got bad, so I moved to tx where my step dad and mom have been living since I was 18 (I decided to stay in cali from 18-21 w/grandparents and go to jc). I wanted to transfer to cal state long beach to do their industrial design program, but then thought that I should transfer to university of houston (which requires more math, and a few extra general ed courses, fucking bullshit if you ask me). I wanted to go to houston because it's close to where my mom/step dad live (well, relatively, it's 4 hours south from here) so I could come back here during the summer.

Now I'm thinking since I fucking hate math so much, maybe I should just take physics (I changed majors as well to a major requiring physics, from interior design when I lived in cali, now industrial design). If I transfer to long beach, I already have all my math requirements done, and I wouldn't have to take those extra GE classes, except for physics, since it's required for industrial design.

Ok, should I drop my trig class so as to avoid getting a "W" on the transcript and to avoid getting less than an A grade? I thought that I would just tough it out, maybe get a B in the class (rather than working super duper hard and getting an A) but after the first chapter, I don't know if I really want to "tough" it out. So, should I drop this stupid class? I have until monday to make a decision.

Which brings me to another thought process: The economy in california SUCKS right now. If I transfer to long beach state university, will I be able to get grants via the fafsa? I hope I will be able to transfer to a different papa johns in cali which would mean job security (even though it's a shit job and I hate it).

What do you guys think? Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedummy
I am you and what I see is me

Re: Should I drop trigonometry to avoid a 'W' and/or less than an A? And a bitch rant... [Re: occollegeboi]
    #14629396 - 06/17/11 05:49 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

do what you gotta do man, i really don't know what to tell you.

i think you're confusing hating math with hating to learn math. because if you hate math, and you live in a modern society, you're a hypocrite and should move to the woods. the supporting truss structure of the building you're in came to be because of trig. and as far as math goes, trig is cake. and its very trivial compared to the math it took to design the circuits in your computer that you talk to us on. or the car that gets you around. food you eat. keeps your life going the way you like it. love math man. love it.

suck it up. no pain, no gain. real talk.

as far as the job goes, you should try to transfer locations like you said in your post then secure a lax student job on campus. i'm at a csu as well and for the past for years i've been making ~$1000 a month working around 30hrs, but really i just sit around and do hw or drugs.

Edited by dummy (06/17/11 05:58 PM)

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

Re: Should I drop trigonometry to avoid a 'W' and/or less than an A? And a bitch rant... [Re: dummy]
    #14629440 - 06/17/11 06:00 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

dummy said:
do what you gotta do man, i really don't know what to tell you.

i think you're confusing hating math with hating to learn math. because if you hate math, and you live in a modern society, you're a hypocrite and should move to the woods. the supporting truss structure of the building you're in came to be because of trig. and as far as math goes, trig is cake. and its very trivial compared to the math it took to design the circuits in your computer that you talk to us on. or the car that gets you around. food you eat. keeps your life going the way you like it. love math man. love it.

suck it up. no pain, no gain. real talk.

as far as the job goes, you should try to transfer locations like you said in your post then secure a lax student job on campus. i'm at a csu as well and for the past for years i've been making ~$1000 a month working around 30hrs, but really i just sit around and do hw or drugs.

Huh? That doesn't mean I LIKE figuring out math shit! This doesn't make sense. Of course math is everywhere, do I give a shit though? no. It doesn't make me interested in it.

Offlinedummy
I am you and what I see is me

Re: Should I drop trigonometry to avoid a 'W' and/or less than an A? And a bitch rant... [Re: occollegeboi]
    #14629452 - 06/17/11 06:03 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

right... which is why the first thing i said was
Quote:

i think you're confusing hating math with hating to learn math

so yeah. it makes sense.

so maybe you should question your approach to learning. i'm done thinking for you.

Offlinedzza
Male

Loc: Midwest
    #14629610 - 06/17/11 06:28 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

occollegeboi said:
Now I'm thinking since I fucking hate math so much, maybe I should just take physics (I changed majors as well to a major requiring physics, from interior design when I lived in cali, now industrial design). If I transfer to long beach, I already have all my math requirements done, and I wouldn't have to take those extra GE classes, except for physics, since it's required for industrial design.

I first thought that math was just memorizing shit too.  If you go far enough with it you realize that "what math is" isn't the trig functions you are trying to memorize, but a way of thinking.  In my opinion, learning math is like learning a foreign language; rather than a language rooted in speech, it's a language of understanding.  If you wanted to learn chinese or arabic, you're going to spend a lot of time learning the basics before you can create beautiful writing/poetry.  Math is pretty much the same, but more powerful, and in such requires more learning.

Me explaining why math is great is probably not what you want to hear, so I'll advise you on the part I quoted-
If you fucking hate math so much, do not take physics.  Physics is applied math.  It's not 'like' applied math, it is applied math.  Physics requires much more actual memorization.  In trig, you can memorize that tan = sin/cos, or you can learn what the tangent represents and never have to memorize a thing.  In physics, you're memorizing shit no way around it.

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

Re: Should I drop trigonometry to avoid a 'W' and/or less than an A? And a bitch rant... [Re: dzza]
    #14630109 - 06/17/11 08:06 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

dzza said:
In trig, you can memorize that tan = sin/cos, or you can learn what the tangent represents and never have to memorize a thing.  In physics, you're memorizing shit no way around it.

Dude, I need physics for my major. It's a design degree. I want to be a designer. The designers don't even really do the math, they work with the engineers who then do the math.

Physics is just algebra based isn't it? And they give you the formulas. It's not like you have to keep everything from college algebra memorized.

I'm willing to do the bullshit for physics, it's only physics 1 and physics 2, nothing advanced or anything. But trig is just ridiculous.

OfflineShroomerited
Male User Gallery

#14630155 - 06/17/11 08:13 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

occollegeboi said:
Quote:

dzza said:
In trig, you can memorize that tan = sin/cos, or you can learn what the tangent represents and never have to memorize a thing.  In physics, you're memorizing shit no way around it.

Dude, I need physics for my major. It's a design degree. I want to be a designer. The designers don't even really do the math, they work with the engineers who then do the math.

Physics is just algebra based isn't it? And they give you the formulas. It's not like you have to keep everything from college algebra memorized.

I'm willing to do the bullshit for physics, it's only physics 1 and physics 2, nothing advanced or anything. But trig is just ridiculous.

Oh god, if you can't do trig, there's no way in hell you can do physics. Physics is FULL of trig. And honestly, it's not even real physics unless you're using calculus.

Anything that moves, moves at an angle. Even if that angle is 0, it's still an angle.

normal force=mgcos(theta)

And you will get into circular motion, which is ALL trig. So is wave motion/oscillation. If you can't do trig, you can't do physics.

I am a math major who loves physics. Suck up trig. You absolutely NEED it for physics. Also, a lot of physics requires straight calculus. Physics really is just applied calculus.

InvisibleHeavyToilet
The Heaviest OfThem All
Male

Loc: British Columbia
    #14630183 - 06/17/11 08:18 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

occollegeboi said:
Quote:

dzza said:

I'd recommend you stop complaining and actually do the work. You know, when I was doing that stuff, I thought it was somewhat difficult. But I could still get through the courses even though I barely studied... as in probably under 10 (well, probably more like 5) hours a week for taking a number of courses.

Now that I'm in engineering, I'm usually studying for 8-12 hours a day. What you're going through is nothing. You have absolutely nothing to be complaining about. It's not even like you're learning extremely specific stuff that you will never use. Trig has absolutely enormous usage in a vast range of real world problems.

Edited by HeavyToilet (06/17/11 08:20 PM)

Offlineislanduniverse
Male

Re: Should I drop trigonometry to avoid a 'W' and/or less than an A? And a bitch rant... [Re: HeavyToilet]
    #14630554 - 06/17/11 09:17 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

you need to get a unit circle and study it for a long time

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

Re: Should I drop trigonometry to avoid a 'W' and/or less than an A? And a bitch rant... [Re: islanduniverse]
    #14631128 - 06/17/11 11:31 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

islanduniverse said:
you need to get a unit circle and study it for a long time

Lol!!

Hey, with all my time wasting today, I was also thinking:

I kind of want to drop the class so I can grow mushrooms during the summer. And read this book that I've been wanting to finish.

What do you guys think? Would that make me a loser? I can always take trig later if I decide I want to transfer to university of houston. I think summer is way too condensed anyway for a math class. It's 8 weeks. I really honestly didn't know what I was getting myself into. It's so much more laid back during the 4 month semester.

If I drop it, I'm just going to buy a cheap car and grow mushrooms all summer and focus on making the pf tek really really good. Then in the fall I will take physics with lab and since I'll have my car by then I can take other classes and go full time.

Aside from this, are you sure you guys know what you're talking about? The physics I need to take ONLY requires college algebra, NOT trig, not calc, but just college algebra, which I've taken already. It's physics 1 and physics 2. The most BASIC physics classes you can ever take in college. Not crazy physics. I know different colleges require different things for similar things, but are you guys sure you know what you're talking about? EVERYONE I've heard from says it's just college algebra with a tiny bit of calc (a tiny bit of college algebra happens to be...guess what...calculus!) and that it's easier in an applied setting as opposed to a formal math class with random bullshit formulas and random letters x y and z. (actually, the xyz shit was easy, did that shit on my ti 89 titanium). Actually, I owe my A in college algebra all to my ti-89 titanium. Without that calculator, I probably would have gotten a C or B. There's a "notes" app on it which I used to input all the formulas and difficult to remember shit.

OfflineNunbuh_Chrubble
I'm just a kittycat
Male User Gallery

Re: Should I drop trigonometry to avoid a 'W' and/or less than an A? And a bitch rant... [Re: occollegeboi] * 1
    #14631423 - 06/18/11 12:44 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Dude, the secret to trig is understanding that the trigonometric functions are all created by a point on a circle (the UNIT circle actually) spiraling through a third dimension which represents the angle of rotation.

Think of a slinky. If you look at it head on it looks like just a circle, but if you turn it to the side it becomes like a sine wave.

Also understanding how right triangles fit inside the unit circle to describe the relationship between the x and y coordinates is REALLY essential.

Trig is actually really simple conceptually. once you understand the relationships the only thing you actually have to memorize is the unit circle, which is really easy actually because it's only like 4 different numbers.

Also SOHCAHTOA = "some old hippy caught another hippy tripping on acid"

--------------------

"This day is a lover..."

~Rumi

Offlinedzza
Male

Loc: Midwest
Re: Should I drop trigonometry to avoid a 'W' and/or less than an A? And a bitch rant... [Re: Nunbuh_Chrubble]
    #14631575 - 06/18/11 01:23 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

occollegeboi said:
I kind of want to drop the class so I can grow mushrooms during the summer. And read this book that I've been wanting to finish.

If I drop it, I'm just going to buy a cheap car and grow mushrooms all summer and focus on making the pf tek really really good.

Not sure if  :Trollface:

All of PF tek is maybe one afternoon. 
Unless you plan to sit there and watch the fungus grow  :bubbles:

Quote:

Nunbuh_Chrubble said:

Also SOHCAHTOA = "some old hippy caught another hippy tripping on acid"

:fasted:

Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

#14631618 - 06/18/11 01:35 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Dude, trig is EASY.

Basically all you learn is looking at an equation and knowing what kind of transformations it has. Is it shifted up? Inverted? Moved to the right? Amplitude?

I was anti-math for a while because I sucked/didn't try and it was in trig that it clicked for me and now I would say I kind of love math. I'm taking calc. II this fall and I can't wait. It's with my calc I prof and he was the bomb. He got so into detail it literally boggled my mind every class period. That class was like a freaking reality TV show where each class period was like another episode in the series and I couldn't wait for the next episode to come out. lol math is sweet.

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

Re: Should I drop trigonometry to avoid a 'W' and/or less than an A? And a bitch rant... [Re: fazdazzle]
    #14631900 - 06/18/11 03:09 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I understand what you mean, math makes sense to me, I understand the concepts, but it produces a lot of anxiety for me while learning it. Like drawing a photo realistic self portrait, it's just WAY too technical, time consuming, and although I'm really good at it, I don't actually want to sit down and do it.

And I think this class is going to interfere with my spiritual journey. I plan to trip every week or two and with this class, I won't have time to integrate and reflect on my trips and my spirituality in general. I can always take trig another time. Summer is rather fast paced. I think the last time I did summer school, I did the 12 week one which was better, but I wasn't taking math either.

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

#14635178 - 06/18/11 08:03 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Fuck it dude. I dropped that stupid class. I'm going to go to cal state long beach. I don't need to deal with anxiety caused by math. Fuck math. Gonna shroom and go on my spiritual journey this summer.

Offlineislanduniverse
Male

#14635246 - 06/18/11 08:20 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

well it's better to have dropped it if you were not doing well.

even better you won't receive a W, but you're gonna have to make up for losing that time lost on a class

Offlinedshow
Nomad
 User Gallery

Re: Should I drop trigonometry to avoid a 'W' and/or less than an A? And a bitch rant... [Re: islanduniverse]
    #14635323 - 06/18/11 08:48 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

First off if you hate math (i do too) your heading in the wrong direction. Ima pm you. physics really? why even get a fucking education?

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

#14635330 - 06/18/11 08:51 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

islanduniverse said:

even better you won't receive a W, but you're gonna have to make up for losing that time lost on a class

What? Make up what? I don't even need trig since I'm transferring to cal state long beach. I WAS going to transfer to uni of houston until this stupid trig class got to me.

I won't get a W. It won't show up on my transcript. I was understanding the concepts until a certain point. I also really did not want to put forth the effort because I honestly just cannot stand math for the life of me. Do I really care to memorize that pi r squared bull shit? No.

Last semester in my college algebra class, I had a vietnamese professor. I bet he probably has tenure because he can't teach worth shit. I would always leave class completely confused. I swear, he would give us the hardest problems. I swear he got his problems from asia or something because asians do some crazy fucking math. Anyway, I had to download "chalk dust" illegally (via torrents) and watch the lessons for whatever the professor was too stupid to explain on. That class was a LIVING HELL!!! The anxiety I experienced....NEVER again will I take another math class! Fuck that shit! It's easy, but BOOOOY is it confusing as fuck to learn and so useless. The only way it becomes useful is if you are a math/engineering major and are using it in real world applications, like building a computer or making something for industry.

The last thing I read in the trig textbook was something like, "A man has a ladder leaning against a 10 meter tall building. The ladder is 3 meters away from the bottom of the building. What is the angle of the ladder? SERIOUSLY!!!! SERIOUSLY!!! WHY WOULD ANYONE CARE ABOUT THE ANGLE OF A FUCKING LADDER!!??? A ladder??? A FUCKING LADDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why don't you get a fucking protractor from wal mart and stick it next to the ladder and figure it out that way?

After I read that word problem, I was just like, "Oh hell no!!! This is some useless shit I'm dropping this shit!"

Offlineoccollegeboi
MushroomSpaceGod
Male User Gallery

Re: Should I drop trigonometry to avoid a 'W' and/or less than an A? And a bitch rant... [Re: dshow]
    #14635342 - 06/18/11 08:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

dshow said:
First off if you hate math (i do too) your heading in the wrong direction. Ima pm you. physics really? why even get a fucking education?

No no no no no!! PHYSICS is not my major.

INDUSTRIAL DESIGN is my major, and a requirement for the major (for the general ed aspect) is physics 1 and physics 2 with lab. Those are the most basic physics classes you can ever take. The rest of the curriculum consists of art classes and design classes with lots of conceptualization.

Here, this is my major: Industrial design.Don't confuse it with industrial ENGINEERING. It's a design deree like any other field of design (interior design, fashion design, floral design, graphic design, etc) but industrial design is more technical. That's why general physics is required. Now, industrial designers work closely with engineers so that their design can actually be incorporated, but the designer will never do the math, except for simple shit while making concepts. Eventually I would like to be on Apple's design team and design the aesthetics of their systems. Industrial designers are really only concerned with aesthetics and ergonomics.

I have a pretty solid foundation in algebra, I will do fine in general physics.

Edited by occollegeboi (06/18/11 09:04 PM)

Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

Re: Should I drop trigonometry to avoid a 'W' and/or less than an A? And a bitch rant... [Re: occollegeboi] * 1
    #14636281 - 06/19/11 03:10 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

occollegeboi said:
Quote:

islanduniverse said:

What? Make up what? I don't even need trig since I'm transferring to cal state long beach. I WAS going to transfer to uni of houston until this stupid trig class got to me.

I won't get a W. It won't show up on my transcript. I was understanding the concepts until a certain point. I also really did not want to put forth the effort because I honestly just cannot stand math for the life of me. Do I really care to memorize that pi r squared bull shit? No.

Last semester in my college algebra class, I had a vietnamese professor. I bet he probably has tenure because he can't teach worth shit. I would always leave class completely confused. I swear, he would give us the hardest problems. I swear he got his problems from asia or something because asians do some crazy fucking math. Anyway, I had to download "chalk dust" illegally (via torrents) and watch the lessons for whatever the professor was too stupid to explain on. That class was a LIVING HELL!!! The anxiety I experienced....NEVER again will I take another math class! Fuck that shit! It's easy, but BOOOOY is it confusing as fuck to learn and so useless. The only way it becomes useful is if you are a math/engineering major and are using it in real world applications, like building a computer or making something for industry.

The last thing I read in the trig textbook was something like, "A man has a ladder leaning against a 10 meter tall building. The ladder is 3 meters away from the bottom of the building. What is the angle of the ladder? SERIOUSLY!!!! SERIOUSLY!!! WHY WOULD ANYONE CARE ABOUT THE ANGLE OF A FUCKING LADDER!!??? A ladder??? A FUCKING LADDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why don't you get a fucking protractor from wal mart and stick it next to the ladder and figure it out that way?

After I read that word problem, I was just like, "Oh hell no!!! This is some useless shit I'm dropping this shit!"

Jesus, I understand at this point that you dropped the class, but why the hate?

I don't have any interest in learning crochet but I don't hate it it.

Math a lot of times doesn't have an application but it teaches you specific ways to think. Besides learning how to approach problem solving, math is a *very* unique subject - one deserving attention like any art does.

I imagine you are about to go on this spiritual journey thinking that art is so much superior to science and that is just wrong. Art is just as strong and abstract as science.

You can decide not to pursue math all you want, but at least understand why you're choosing to do so.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom