Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerb2002
Enokotekkamaki!
Gourmet Mushrooms & Substrates
    #1459805 - 04/15/03 09:16 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Hey guys,
I haven't come to this site in quite a while because for one reason or another I stopped growing. But I always intended to pick it up again, and the next time around, go it the more professional way.

The last (and only) grow was psilocybin cubensis (B strain) on organic brown rice flour. Yep, I used a tek.

Well, now that it's my summer, I need something to do, and so here I am... Only problem is, where do I start? I want to grow gourmet mushrooms this time around.
Can anyone please offer some advice?

- what kind of mushroom is good to start with?
- how should I go about humidification (more perlite or a coolmist humidifier)?
- This time I'm planning to go from cultivating mycelium on petri-dishes to introducing them to 1/2 pint jars to crumbling those cakes into 1/2 gallon jars. Is this much harder? Is there anything to look out for when doing this?
- general gourmet mushroom advice...

Thanks for your time guys!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinerb2002
Enokotekkamaki!
Re: Gourmet Mushrooms & Substrates [Re: rb2002]
    #1460260 - 04/15/03 12:27 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Also, where can I get spores? Should I clone a local mushroom instead?

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
    #1460832 - 04/15/03 03:18 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

There's been a couple posts on this same question in the last few days/weeks.

But to answer yours...

a good mushroom to start with is an oyster mushroom.

you wont be able to crumble a cake into more spawn, or else you'll get contams. Unless you have a flow hood. I would go with half gallon jars, and innoc them from liquid mycellium (difficult), or just innoculate them with a lot of the petri dish.

You'll want to use straw as your fruiting substrate. Look at the various posts in the forum.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflineNoLogos
Loc: South US
Re: Gourmet Mushrooms & Substrates [Re: Raadt]
    #1461317 - 04/15/03 05:49 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Inoculating oysters is pretty easy if you put most of a petri dish in a sterile jar with a little water, then shake it until it breaks up. Dump it on your pasteurized straw. Oysters are easy!

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Gourmet Mushrooms & Substrates [Re: NoLogos]
    #1461377 - 04/15/03 06:10 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

have you tried this? I haven't heard of many successes with liquid innoculation of bulk substrates. I would definantly use grain spawn.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1461387 - 04/15/03 06:14 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I did Pl. djamor (Pink Oyster) by mycelium syringe to quarts of popcorn.

Then I spawned pasteurized straw in a small laundry basket (Visions' basket method) They're fruiting in a warm humid greenhouse right now.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

OfflineNoLogos
Re: Gourmet Mushrooms & Substrates [Re: Raadt]
    #1461488 - 04/15/03 06:54 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, I have done the "shake up a plate's worth of oyster mycelium in some water" inoculation trick and it worked quite well. The substrate is straw, which is pretty contam resistant, and oysters grow pretty fast. I have not tried this with any other mushie, tho. It's just with oysters, you can take shortcuts becasue they are so easy.

Offlinerb2002
Enokotekkamaki!
    #1461569 - 04/15/03 07:19 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks guys! From what I hear I'll probably do oysters then...

How should I go about getting the spores? I got psilocybin cubensis spores from The Hawks Eye last time but that took quite a while and again, I want to grow gourmet mushrooms. Should I just take a local grown oyster mushroom and pinch some of its cap and put it in a petri dish with agar?

Are spores better?

OfflineNoLogos
    #1461780 - 04/15/03 08:14 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I'd go with a culture, because things get off to a quicker start. Spores will work, tho, if you don't mind a reduced yeild.
Rip a fresh oyster mushroom in half, and take a little bit of tissue from above the gills that was not exposed to air until you ripped the mushroom. Use a flamed scalpel or some such to take the chunk, and do several as some don't make it and some get contams. Do you have antibiotics? That helps a lot!

Edited by NoLogos (04/15/03 08:16 PM)

InvisibleMushMushi
Loc: Canada
    #1461781 - 04/15/03 08:14 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

For oysters, you could buy a mushroom from the grocery store and clone it.
It's cheaper :wink:

Offlinerb2002
Enokotekkamaki!
Re: Gourmet Mushrooms & Substrates [Re: MushMushi]
    #1463540 - 04/16/03 11:25 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Heyyy thanks guys!  :smile:
I'll probably go to the supermarket and try cloning one of their mushrooms.
I am thinking of maybe doing agaricus mushrooms before I attempt the oyster.
I am starting to formulate a plan and I am also happy to say that my search for the "perfect" (at least for me) fruiting chamber is over...

Yesterday on my way home I passed a hydroponics store I had been in once before and decided to see if they had anything in the way of fruiting chambers. I went in and to my surprise, found the germination mini-green houses for seeds a perfect match. It's basically a plastic greenhouse top with a heavy tray on the bottom, and it costs 7 bucks. It's quite a good size too... My only problem is air exchange, but I have some idea about what I'm going to do about that...

The agar arrives soon... I can't wait to do this!!! :grin: 

OfflineNoLogos
    #1463618 - 04/16/03 11:43 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Sounds like you are off to a good start! I wouldn't grow the agricarus, tho. Oysters are probably easier, and I *know* they taste much better!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures