Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGroosBrewz
Fungus Freak
 User Gallery

A few pics of a recent oyster grow
    #14536163 - 05/30/11 01:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I grew these oysters on on pasteurized straw in a large plastic bag.. So far, I have done three oyster grows in plastic bags.. Each time I have made one large bag and one "log" bag (longer and skinnier-more typical of a kit from Stamets.. Each of the three times, the "logs" have contaminated while the large bag has thrived..  I have always heard that you should do the long, thin style logs because it takes too long to colonize a large, round bag- But I think I will stick with the large bags..

--------------------
"It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" -- Captain Call

"American beer is like making love in a canoe- it's f@#%ing close to water!" Eric Idle

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMushie23
Entheogens
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: A few pics of a recent oyster grow [Re: GroosBrewz]
    #14536176 - 05/30/11 01:58 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Pretty Mushrooms

--------------------
Eat Mushrooms----plug into life and nature.

OfflineNeuroFunk
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: EU
Re: A few pics of a recent oyster grow [Re: Mushie23]
    #14536573 - 05/30/11 03:38 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

They look adorable. What was the weight of substrate and the yield if I may ask?

--------------------

OfflineGroosBrewz
Fungus Freak
 User Gallery

Re: A few pics of a recent oyster grow [Re: NeuroFunk]
    #14537161 - 05/30/11 06:31 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The yield was just over two lbs.. To be honest, I have no idea the weight of the substrate.. I never weigh the bags.. I just fill em up until I run out of straw and dump in a ton of spawn.. If I had to guess, I would say it was probably 5 lbs? I don't really pay attention to the spawn to substrate ratio.. I probably should, but I have been having pretty decent success with the above method..

--------------------
"It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it" -- Captain Call

"American beer is like making love in a canoe- it's f@#%ing close to water!" Eric Idle

Offlinecurry
Stranger
 User Gallery

#14537764 - 05/30/11 08:40 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Oysters will eat any kind of contam, which is why everyone recommends em to start off with.  But, yes, I like making large bags out of them instead of logs... just works better for my setup (shelves).  I prefer to leave the plastic on and just cut slits, and soak between flushes, but I'm sure that'll work too.  Good job on the grow.

OfflineNSF
Eager to learn
 User Gallery

Re: A few pics of a recent oyster grow [Re: curry]
    #14538048 - 05/30/11 09:34 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

So do you dump the grain spawn on top of the bag or do you mix it through the substrate before you pack it into the bag? 
Does water collect at the bottom of the logs?  Do they colonise at all?
Do you wipe the inside of the log bag out with alcohol or anything?

--------------------

Offline88malice
Red Eyed Jedi

Re: A few pics of a recent oyster grow [Re: NSF]
    #14540401 - 05/31/11 12:09 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

those look great, how do they taste? im gna start off with oysters, and was just curious

InvisibleMonkeyKnifeFight
Stranger
 User Gallery

#14541307 - 05/31/11 03:42 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

curry said:
Oysters will eat any kind of contam, which is why everyone recommends em to start off with.

I've never seen oysters 'eat' any contam.  That's not why they're recommended.  They are recommended for new growers because they colonize very quickly before contams have time to get a hold.  If you have mold/bacteria oyster tissue may grow over it but they won't kill it, and it won't be gone.  At least I've never seen anything like that.

Offlinecurry
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: A few pics of a recent oyster grow [Re: MonkeyKnifeFight]
    #14541545 - 05/31/11 04:32 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

OK, fair enough, it will grow over it.  As far as I'm concerned it's gone.  Trich (the green stuff), is the most common contam that I see and every block of blue oyster that I grow that gets it completely consumes it.  But, yes, I'm sure there is some bacteria in some hospital that it can't consume... or some mold.  But trich is MY largest concern, and blue oysters will dine on it.

OfflineNSF
Eager to learn
 User Gallery

#14544121 - 06/01/11 02:33 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Just to be pedantic are they maybe not eating it but instead are fighting for the same food source and because of the head start and bigger army the oyster wins the war?  So the trich starves.

--------------------

OfflineMycomush
Spawn of the Mycelium
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #14544257 - 06/01/11 03:37 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

GroosBrewz said:
I grew these oysters on on pasteurized straw in a large plastic bag.. So far, I have done three oyster grows in plastic bags.. Each time I have made one large bag and one "log" bag (longer and skinnier-more typical of a kit from Stamets.. Each of the three times, the "logs" have contaminated while the large bag has thrived..  I have always heard that you should do the long, thin style logs because it takes too long to colonize a large, round bag- But I think I will stick with the large bags..

That's some pretty mushrooms. I like the nice and simple aspect of your approach to.

Seeing as I just did something quite similar to this, I'm wondering if you could share how long was it between inoculation and the block being ready to fruit?

Cheers.

OfflineGroosBrewz
Fungus Freak
 User Gallery

#14548785 - 06/02/11 12:12 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

NSF said:
So do you dump the grain spawn on top of the bag or do you mix it through the substrate before you pack it into the bag? 
Does water collect at the bottom of the logs?  Do they colonise at all?
Do you wipe the inside of the log bag out with alcohol or anything?

For both the logs and the larger bags, I layer the spawn and straw, as per RR instructions.. Couple handfuls of straw, a layer of spawn, and then repeat.. The logs do colonize, but never vigorously and they contaminate before full colonization.. I always make sure to have plenty of holes at the bottom of the "logs" so water doesn't collect, but I usually store the logs on their side anyway... And no, I don't wipe out the bags with alcohol.. I do with spawn bags, but not straw log bags.. I have decided that I really don't care enough to try to figure out why the logs are contaminating- As long as the larger bags are working, I don't need the logs..

--------------------

OfflineGroosBrewz
Fungus Freak
 User Gallery

Re: A few pics of a recent oyster grow [Re: 88malice]
    #14548795 - 06/02/11 12:15 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

88malice said:
those look great, how do they taste? im gna start off with oysters, and was just curious

they taste amazing! Actually, the oysters in the picture are a day or two too late as the caps are a little flat.. Shoulda picked em a little earlier, but still incredibly fresh and tasty.. I have tried eating them raw in a salad, but they have a very sharp "lemony" kinda flavor raw that is too potent for me.. Much better cooked.. So far I have only sauteed with garlic and white wine, but damn are they good..

--------------------

OfflineGroosBrewz
Fungus Freak
 User Gallery

#14548801 - 06/02/11 12:18 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Agreed...  Oysters do not eat contams, but they grow so fast that they often out compete it.. So yes, the trich will "starve" for lack of a better term.. Every contam I have ever had has been trich.. Bad shit, man....

--------------------

OfflineGroosBrewz
Fungus Freak
 User Gallery

Re: A few pics of a recent oyster grow [Re: Mycomush]
    #14548808 - 06/02/11 12:20 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

about 2 to 2.5 weeks and they start pinning..

--------------------

OfflineMycomush
Spawn of the Mycelium
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
    #14549549 - 06/02/11 06:07 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

GroosBrewz said:
about 2 to 2.5 weeks and they start pinning..

Thanks!

I've got some Blue Oysters colonizing coffee and straw which seems to be going well. A large one in a garbage bag and a smaller one in a cardboard box. I hope to use the garbage bag contents when it's fully colonized to inoculate more of the same. Have you tried anything like that before?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds