Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNirvana
ScentlessApprentice

Mycelium Question...
    #1449117 - 04/11/03 08:25 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

My grow kit currently has 6 patches of mycelium on it... In total I have 3 tiny pins coming through and one little monster. They only seem to be pinning from the mycelium, here's my question:

Will shrooms only grow from the mycelium? Or will some sprout through the vermiculite where no surface mycelium can be seen?
Also, I have dozens of pins under the surface of kit squeezed up against side of kit container,
how do I pull these up out of the soil?
With light?
How long should I 'light' them?

Thanks very much!
Nirvana

--------------------
====* I Made My Avatar *====

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineE Tard
Space Cowboy
Re: Mycelium Question... [Re: Nirvana]
    #1449851 - 04/11/03 01:19 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

yes, mushrooms will grow where you don't see mycellium on the surface - the network is still formed under the casing layer.

as for the pins against the side...i don't know the safest way to go digging them out since you'll probably disturb the mycellial network. the way to avoid them forming at all is to put tinfoil or duct tape around the sides so no light will get to them

--------------------
I am not stoned.

OfflineBigJohnson
Whoa! You guysneed to lightenup!

Loc: The Yard
Re: Mycelium Question... [Re: E Tard]
    #1450054 - 04/11/03 02:15 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Even putting tape or foil around the casing won't stop light from getting to the sides if the container is clear. Clear plastic, glass, water, etc. allows light to "travel" through it. Myc don't need more than a fraction of a second of the right kind of light to form primordia. Your best bet, IMO, is to use a coffee can or something that is in no way transluscent. You could also completely wrap the container in foil, essentially making a non-transluscent container.

--------------------
Should the US relegalize drugs?

http://www.lp.org/issues/relegalize.html

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycelium Question... [Re: BigJohnson]
    #1450094 - 04/11/03 02:27 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Your best bet, IMO, is to use a coffee can or something that is in no way transluscent. You could also completely wrap the container in foil, essentially making a non-transluscent container. 

i agree. :grin:

--------------------
buh

OfflineNirvana
ScentlessApprentice

Re: Mycelium Question... [Re: shirley knott]
    #1450126 - 04/11/03 02:38 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks very much guys, that's put me at ease a bit E Tard. I have another kit coming in tomorrow and I've noted what you said johnson (and shirley) I will try wrapping many layers of foil around the sides very tightly!!
Thanks very much for your help and time.

--------------------

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

#1450141 - 04/11/03 02:42 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Nirvana, after your next "kit grow" give it a shot on your own.  It's not too hard and i bet it's cheaper than your current methods :smile: Just a thought though, do what you like! Have fun and learn.

--------------------
The day you were born, you were born free. That is your privilege.

I forgot to remember.

OfflineNirvana
ScentlessApprentice

Re: Mycelium Question... [Re: pillsbury420]
    #1450221 - 04/11/03 03:07 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Haha don't worry Pillsbury, I will! Seeing my mushrooms come through on my kit was a VERY satisfying feeling! I will definately have fun growing and *consuming* the mushrooms! Thanks for the words of wisdom  :laugh:!

*I will not actually be consuming the mushrooms, I will simply throw them away once they have grown*  :wink:

--------------------

OfflineE Tard
Space Cowboy
    #1450410 - 04/11/03 04:33 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

*I will not actually be consuming the mushrooms, I will simply throw them away once they have grown*  :wink: 

nice try but i think i'd rather publically say that i eat mushrooms than grow them  :grin:

--------------------
I am not stoned.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract