Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewood chip
Stranger
 User Gallery
fuck round up Beware mushroom pickers
    #14478064 - 05/19/11 11:27 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

This bullshit needs to stop.  I have witness prime mushroom areas spayed with this garbage by the us forest service.  One does not even know it has been spayed.  The promotion and use of the product has not been tested.  Facts have been falsified. 

Beware. 
This is a crime against nature with untested results.  It is even taken deep into the woods and sprayed to control the so called invasive species where many of the highest quality blond mushroom grow. 

Nobody wants to eat morels sprayed with round up?  The Columbia river morels are at risk in many areas. 

Round up can be detected by odor and it "might" leave a blue residue on the sides of trails,  but it may have washed into the wetlands or been sprayed lightly making it impossible to detect.   

Beware
Anyone know of a way to constructively protest the rampant and ignorant use of this poison?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: fuck round up Beware mushroom pickers [Re: wood chip]
    #14478155 - 05/19/11 11:45 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/dienochlor-glyphosate/glyphosate-ext.html

From what I've been reading, Roundup(tm) has little potential for toxicity or bioaccumulation in aquatic organisms.

It's birds that seem to be the most sensitive according to that paper.

--------------------
]

OfflineThe Inner Eye
Male User Gallery

Re: fuck round up Beware mushroom pickers [Re: Ieponumos]
    #14479071 - 05/19/11 02:51 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Really??? the forestry service is spraying round up?? WTF???  Thats nt cool at all. :facepalm:

--------------------

OfflineHygrocybe
Walkin Wonderland
 User Gallery

Re: fuck round up Beware mushroom pickers [Re: The Inner Eye]
    #14479147 - 05/19/11 03:09 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

They call it by the generic name glyphosate, and there are other herbicides they use. They should post signs on the trail when it has been sprayed. It isn't used indiscriminately.

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

#14479169 - 05/19/11 03:14 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The Inner Eye said:
Really??? the forestry service is spraying round up?? WTF???  Thats nt cool at all. :facepalm:

Actually, if you think about it it's not too bad of an idea.

There are quite a few plants which are not sensitive while many invasive plants are.

I think they are doing this in an attempt to maintain a proper floral ecology by not letting weeds/invasive species choke out other slower-growing species.

I also, from what I've been reading the primary mechanism of break down is via microbial activity, taking 10-14 days. It can take up to 174 days without microbes via the very slow process of photodecomposition, but has been shown to adhere to soil particles thus having little risk, as low as 2%, of runoff.

Also, mice fed large quantities of this for a long period of time showed no organ damage, toxicity, or carcinogenicity.

There is a surfactant in Rodeo(tm) which the article claims is harmful to aquatic life, but I hope/assume the forstry dept. thought that one ought prior.

--------------------
]

OfflineOreganic
Connoisseur of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Orygun
    #14479195 - 05/19/11 03:18 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The Inner Eye said:

Actually - Roundup (or, more specifically, the active chemical glyphosate) is rated the least toxic herbicide available on the market. Glyphosate is used to regulate False Broam, an intensely aggressive grass which spreads like wildfire and destroys our local Oak groves. It's hands down the safest and more environmentally friendly way of managing the false broam. False broam out-competes the frickin blackberries - it's really a horrible weed. The biggest problem with roundup is the old granny in the backyard spraying WAAAAAAY too much of the stuff in one isolated area or people who mixed concentrations which were too strong.

--------------------

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: fuck round up Beware mushroom pickers [Re: Oreganic]
    #14479208 - 05/19/11 03:20 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Oreganic said:
destroys our local Oak groves. It's hands down the safest and more environmentally friendly way of managing the false broam. False broam out-competes the frickin blackberries

Dude ... :awewtf: I bet it wouldn't compete with Kudzu though!

--------------------
]

Offlinedip
Stranger
    #14479331 - 05/19/11 03:45 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I have sprayed literally thousands of gallons of Roundup and its many generic equivalents.  It is a good tool for many vegetation control projects-sometimes the only practical tool.  And yes, in the pursuit of control of invasive species, it is invaluable.

So is it safe?  As herbicides go, yes it is quite safe when used properly.  The USFS are old hands at this sort of thing.  Chemicals are expensive, so they're not likely to be waisted by improper use.  I have used it to attempt to control truly invasive plants like buckthorn and garlic mustard.  These two plants, when allowed to spread freely in a forest, will eventually eliminate ALL other plant species.  They are able to regenerate and spread so thickly that no light reaches the ground, literally shading out any tree seedling or other woodland plant that should be there. 

There are legitimate issues regarding herbicide use that deserve scrutiny and alarm.  This just isn't one of them.

The "Roundup-Ready" thing, whereby major ag. crops like corn and soybeans have been specially bred to be resistant to this herbicide, thereby allowing it's use in "over the top" applications, is one that is causing problems.  It's one thing to have this chemical used in relatively small amounts  in very targeted ways, like what the FS guys are doing.  It's quite another to be spraying it on millions of acres of cropland.  But not because it is directly dangerous.  Rather, the problem there is that because this type of use is so widespread, the possibility for certain weed species to develop resistance is magnified greatly.  We may be creating "super weeds" by this technology.  In fact, a number of strains of weed species are already documented to have become resistant to glyphosate.  That ain't good.

dip

OfflineThe Inner Eye
Male User Gallery

Re: fuck round up Beware mushroom pickers [Re: dip]
    #14479430 - 05/19/11 04:00 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe we should let nature decide which plants survive.... and which do not...

just saying.

--------------------

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

Re: fuck round up Beware mushroom pickers [Re: dip]
    #14479438 - 05/19/11 04:01 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

dip said:
The "Roundup-Ready" thing, whereby major ag. crops like corn and soybeans have been specially bred to be resistant to this herbicide, thereby allowing it's use in "over the top" applications, is one that is causing problems.  It's one thing to have this chemical used in relatively small amounts  in very targeted ways, like what the FS guys are doing.  It's quite another to be spraying it on millions of acres of cropland.  But not because it is directly dangerous.  Rather, the problem there is that because this type of use is so widespread, the possibility for certain weed species to develop resistance is magnified greatly.  We may be creating "super weeds" by this technology.  In fact, a number of strains of weed species are already documented to have become resistant to glyphosate.  That ain't good.

dip

Now HERE'S a legitimate problem in using large scale herbicides.

--------------------
]

OfflineThe Inner Eye
Male User Gallery

#14479449 - 05/19/11 04:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ieponumos said:
Quote:

dip said:

dip

Now HERE'S a legitimate problem in using large scale herbicides.

Thats what im saying... Dont fuck with nature, because nature always adapts and wins. 

nature has its own regulators.

--------------------

Edited by The Inner Eye (05/19/11 04:03 PM)

OfflineThe Inner Eye
Male User Gallery

#14479454 - 05/19/11 04:03 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Damn.... I sound like a hippie..  :laugh2:

--------------------

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

#14479465 - 05/19/11 04:05 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The Inner Eye said:

just saying.

I disagree most strongly. Rare plants can have interesting and niche properties. If we let nature choose what survived and what wouldn't on its own, we'd lose so many amazing things.

Just look at the biodiversity of the Amazon. If we fuck that up and let nature do what it wants, entire ecosystems could die.

I know this is part of ecology on a grander scale, but people don't take enough stock in the value of rare genes IMO.

EDIT:

Quote:

The Inner Eye said:

Thats what im saying... Dont fuck with nature, because nature always adapts and wins. 

nature has its own regulators.

It's not that simple. As soon as people start bringing things from their homelands to a new place, they inadvertently have affected the natural balance of that place. Organisms do not regulate their consumption rates. A species will exhaust whatever resources it can until it can take no more. That includes its own lifeblood ...

That being so, nature is more than happy to push our species aside as a part of "regulation." So we have our own vested interests to manage the ecology as sustainably as possible. While I agree we shouldn't have used mass pesticides in the first place, what is done is done.

Just remember nature's balance does not have our welfare in mind. Only we can have that.

--------------------
]

Edited by Ieponumos (05/19/11 04:14 PM)

OfflineThe Inner Eye
Male User Gallery

#14479490 - 05/19/11 04:10 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ieponumos said:
Quote:

The Inner Eye said:

just saying.

I disagree most strongly. Rare plants can have interesting and niche properties. If we let nature choose what survived and what wouldn't on its own, we'd lose so many amazing things.

Just look at the biodiversity of the Amazon. If we fuck that up and let nature do what it wants, entire ecosystems could die.

I know this is part of ecology on a grander scale, but people don't take enough stock in the value of rare genes IMO.

Wow.. you act like we have that much of a choice..  Truth is we dont..
Unless you go around spraying agent orange, youre not doing shit.

The fact is that this amazing biodiversity you speak of is made from differing circumstances acquired from their present situations.  Its called evolution.

Who are we to say what is natural when this nature has molded our existence.

--------------------

Edited by The Inner Eye (05/19/11 04:12 PM)

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
    #14479491 - 05/19/11 04:10 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I actually drank some roundup as evidence of my faith in the scientific method once. :laugh:

OfflineThe Inner Eye
Male User Gallery

Re: fuck round up Beware mushroom pickers [Re: Feelers]
    #14479497 - 05/19/11 04:11 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Feelers said:
I actually drank some roundup as evidence of my faith in the scientific method once. :laugh:

Wow... really?

--------------------

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

#14479550 - 05/19/11 04:24 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The Inner Eye said:

The fact is that this amazing biodiversity you speak of is made from differing circumstances acquired from their present situations.  Its called evolution.

We do have more of an ecological effect than you give credit. That's why there are several different python species naturalized to the Southeastern US. This is because owners have let them loose and they have bred in the Everglades. They are killing domesticated animals as a result.

We can control species populations to make sure they don't get rampant like we do with deer.

Also, when did I try to define nature??? I'm just saying we can see what is and isn't harmful and we ought try to negate as much harm as possible and to try and preserve interesting and valuable life forms. Those lifeforms may help us treat diseases like Leukemia (like Madagascar Periwinkle) and may be endangered in their natural habitats.

EDIT: Also, if we let nature choose everything, we'd still be foraging for food instead of burning down thousands of acres of forests for agriculture. While I wish we could go back to the days of yore, it's just not possible.

EDITEDIT: About the Amazon comment before, I was meaning if we fucked it up by letting an invasive species take over, which would be perfectly natural, the ecology of the forest would be irrevocably damaged. Humans are migratory and that's perfectly natural.

--------------------
]

Edited by Ieponumos (05/19/11 04:31 PM)

OfflineThe Inner Eye
Male User Gallery

#14479596 - 05/19/11 04:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ieponumos said:
Quote:

The Inner Eye said:

We do have more of an ecological effect than you give credit. That's why there are several different python species naturalized to the Southeastern US. This is because owners have let them loose and they have bred in the Everglades. They are killing domesticated animals as a result.

We can control species populations to make sure they don't get rampant like we do with deer.

Also, when did I try to define nature??? I'm just saying we can see what is and isn't harmful and we ought try to negate as much harm as possible and to try and preserve interesting and valuable life forms. Those lifeforms may help us treat diseases like Leukemia (like Madagascar Periwinkle) and may be endangered in their natural habitats.

I respect your opinion man, but im just saying that we dont have that big of an impact on nature as is stated above... 

Spraying some roundup around to stop the spread of a non inigenous weed is not a cure.  Its just a band aid.  Circumstances have it that the non native snakes in the everglades like their new enviroment, just like the snakehead fish, so instead of eradicating the snakes you must acknowledge the adaptation of nature.  This is a process of life on earth.  But this is just my opinion and I realize that we all think different.

I respect your thoughts man, and our arguement.

Very interesting topic for discussion.  Many times I fear topics like these get ignored today  :mad:

--------------------

InvisibleIeponumos
Mycophile/Phytophile
Male User Gallery

#14479670 - 05/19/11 04:51 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

The Inner Eye said:
Quote:

Ieponumos said:
Quote:

The Inner Eye said:

I respect your opinion man, but im just saying that we dont have that big of an impact on nature as is stated above... 

Spraying some roundup around to stop the spread of a non inigenous weed is not a cure.  Its just a band aid.  Circumstances have it that the non native snakes in the everglades like their new enviroment, just like the snakehead fish, so instead of eradicating the snakes you must acknowledge the adaptation of nature.  This is a process of life on earth.  But this is just my opinion and I realize that we all think different.

I respect your thoughts man, and our arguement.

Very interesting topic for discussion.  Many times I fear topics like these get ignored today  :mad:

I agree that that food webs and ecologies inevitably change and that humans are but an agent of this change, just as the cycads of old are now fewer than the Redwoods which themselves dwindle. But by letting this process go unabated, we are literally siphoning off our own lifeblood. We're on the rolling ocean of life and every helping had helps keep us a little bit more stable.

Also, thank you for giving me an interesting idea and allowing me to grow from this :heart::cheers:

One that note, I ask one question:

If all of life is to turn to ash in its own due time, why not promote those gems which we find to be beautiful or powerful to live to their full hour of magnificence? Otherwise, they'll decompose just like all the other elements.

--------------------
]

Edited by Ieponumos (05/19/11 04:57 PM)

Offlineweiliigod
N.Ga shroom hunter

#14479845 - 05/19/11 05:23 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I agree with everything Ieponumos said.
That's all.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom