Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinetk3
wobbly zombie

Uh so i just installed ubuntu. (need help)
    #14387392 - 05/02/11 08:27 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Wow, i fucking hate it.  I am now in hour 3 of attempting change a network setting.  But i can't even find any sort of menu.

Pretty fucking sad operating system when 3hrs + google can't get to you networking options.

If you are totally LEET linux user don't mind my rage.  even something like ubuntu is clearly not for the layman, and i have just put most of my morning into this...  accessing this menu...

Quote:

Enabling ath9k

To enable ath9k, you must first enable mac80211:

Networking  --->
  Wireless  --->
    <M> Improved wireless configuration API
    <M> Generic IEEE 802.11 Networking Stack (mac80211)

You can then enable ath9k in the kernel configuration under

Device Drivers  --->

• Network device support  --->
            Wireless LAN  --->
              <M>  Atheros 802.11n wireless cards support

QUESTION: Do the above boxes refer to a GUI, or..? What does "Networking —> Wireless —>" mean? I'm not sure where to look. If it's a GUI, what window manager does it refer to?? Is there a command line version?

ANSWER: The above boxes refer to a ncurses user interface. You can get to these menus by typing "make menuconfig" in the Linux kernel source directory.

• so... if anyone could help me with that, i would appreciate it.  I suspect i have to... ??? download my kernal ???? to usr/src/linux ????
    Then the "make menuconfig" command will work?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
    Invisiblefrith
    God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
    Re: Uh so i just installed ubuntu. (need help) [Re: tk3]
        #14387525 - 05/02/11 09:12 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

ubuntu uses something called the "Restricted Drivers Manager" or something like that.

you should not need to recompile your kernel to get your wireless card working.

last i checked it was in the top menu. System > Administration > Driver manager. Something like that.. definitely in the administration menu.

however, now that ubuntu is using Unity I'm not sure how accurate that is. :shrug:

you have to remember.. LINUX IS NOT WINDOWS!

do not try to compare them because they are not the same. you will just end up giving up because it doesnt work the way youre used to. forget what you know of windows and try to start fresh. the sooner you can do that the sooner youll appreciate linux.

--------------------

Offlinetk3
    wobbly zombie

Re: Uh so i just installed ubuntu. (need help) [Re: frith]
        #14387542 - 05/02/11 09:16 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

yeah yeah.  I wanted to vomit blood when i realized how many versions/patches of stuff are released and incompatible with each other.

trying that out now.

I get invitations on facebook all the time to events in philly. I get some shit thats always labeled "art parties".

You interested in that kind of stuff?

edit: lol ubuntu already crashed twice on me, while i wasn't even doing anything.  I had a hardy lol at that weirdness.

Invisiblesandi
    omg

Loc: M6 (Butterfly Cluster)
        #14387546 - 05/02/11 09:18 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ubuntu forums are where you  need to be posting, not Shroomery. They like to walk people through this stuff :smile:  (Unlike Fedora forums where they feed you to the wolves).

Wifi is the hardest thing in linux but usually it works right off the bat. I don't believe you actually have to do anything because Ubuntu should already have these drivers. You probably just have to turn on your wifi card.

What happens when you type iwconfig?

--------------------

Invisiblefrith
    God

#14387584 - 05/02/11 09:28 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

tk3 said:
    I get invitations on facebook all the time to events in philly. I get some shit thats always labeled "art parties".

You interested in that kind of stuff?

yeah im def into the philly art scene.

i work at a film production company.. i walk through sets on a sound stage all the time.

--------------------

Offlinetk3
    wobbly zombie

#14387641 - 05/02/11 09:55 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

oh my wifi is totally on, i'm just trying to follow the instructions in the OP post.

... is it possible all that stuff is installed already?

I couldn't find an administrator or a driver manager in my SYS dir.

couldn't find anything of use in the GUI.  The GUI is like using an iphone :frown:

OfflineFlusH
    Random person on Internet

Loc: Bizzaro World
        #14387661 - 05/02/11 10:02 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Ubuntu does not support Atheros or Attansic network cards ( drivers are not included with ubuntu )

You will have to find the drivers on another machine that has internet, then copy them to your ubuntu machine, then install them.

The link I have included gives pretty strait forward instructions how to do that, and includes links for your network card drivers.

http://tuxthink.blogspot.com/2010/08/enabling-atheros-ethernet-controller-on.html

Give that a shot, if you still have problems give me a msg here!

Cheers,

(PS, try OpenBSD :wink: )

--------------------

Invisiblefrith
    God

#14387758 - 05/02/11 10:21 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

tk3 said:
    oh my wifi is totally on, i'm just trying to follow the instructions in the OP post.

... is it possible all that stuff is installed already?

couldn't find anything of use in the GUI.  The GUI is like using an iphone :frown:

if youre wifi is working than what is the problem?

those instructions are for how to get your wireless driver working (the driver is atk9k).

as far as the UI, i cant say i disagree.. i dont really like Ubuntu and the move to Unity (Ubuntu's new desktop environment) is just stupid to say the least.

as far as pre-packaged distros go, i think Linux Mint is fantastic. it is based on Ubuntu so you still get the VERY large community behind you if you need support. and Mint's design decisions arent batshit insane like Ubuntu..

Mint has been described as "Ubuntu done right."

i def agree with that thought.

Quote:

FlusH said:
    Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but Ubuntu does not support Atheros or Attansic network cards ( drivers are not included with ubuntu )

You will have to find the drivers on another machine that has internet, then copy them to your ubuntu machine, then install them.

The link I have included gives pretty strait forward instructions how to do that, and includes links for your network card drivers.

http://tuxthink.blogspot.com/2010/08/enabling-atheros-ethernet-controller-on.html

Give that a shot, if you still have problems give me a msg here!

Cheers,

(PS, try OpenBSD :wink: )

no.. they dont include it in the CD.. you can absolutely install them on Ubuntu with no other machine. run it hardwired and use the driver manager.

and if OP is having issues with drivers in Ubuntu, BSD is not going to be the solution.

--------------------

Invisiblefrith
    God

#14387802 - 05/02/11 10:29 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

tk3 said:

you shouldnt be looking there.

i just looked it up.. go to this menu (i dont know how to get there):

click Additional Drivers. that takes you to the restricted driver manager.

--------------------

Offlinetk3
    wobbly zombie

#14387841 - 05/02/11 10:36 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Well the whole reason i'm installing unbuntu is i want to use aircrack. Aircrack told me i need to install ath9k.  ath9k told me i had to enable mac something something drivers.  Mac something something driver told me i had to do something or other.

I've been taking a break after i couldn't find the driver manager.

I'm almost done with my coffee, going to start trying again in a moment.  I've found tons of guides/patches, but they're more or less meaningless to me/don't work/not for my versions of stuff.

I want to get into understanding networks.

edit: this is very frustrating because I'm pretty good at using windows, and even pretty obscure problems i can usually solve within 10 minutes or so on windows :frown:.  Still, its a good challenge learning linux i think.

Invisiblefrith
    God

#14387861 - 05/02/11 10:40 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i guess we should back up...

when you get back into Ubuntu, open a terminal and run this command:

lspci

post the results of that here. just to make sure you are looking for the right driver.

there is also Backtrack. its another distro (i think based on Ubuntu). Backtrack is used specifically for network penetration "testing".

--------------------

Offlinetk3
    wobbly zombie

#14387889 - 05/02/11 10:44 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

When i look up additional drivers, it presents no menus or right click options.  When i open it up as a program, it searches for drivers, reports nothing, and then closes, with no other possibilities other than accessing a help menu and canceling.

Is it possible i'm not on an admin account or something and so thats why i can't find stuff that i see in guides?

network controller: atheros communications inc.  AR928x wireless network adapter (pci-express) (rev 01)

Invisiblefrith
    God

#14387950 - 05/02/11 10:59 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

tk3 said:
    When i look up additional drivers, it presents no menus or right click options.  When i open it up as a program, it searches for drivers, reports nothing, and then closes, with no other possibilities other than accessing a help menu and canceling.

Is it possible i'm not on an admin account or something and so thats why i can't find stuff that i see in guides?

network controller: atheros communications inc.  AR928x wireless network adapter (pci-express) (rev 01)

it wont show anything if there are no other required drivers.

if everything works then there is no need for the driver manager.

what exactly is the problem you are having?

--------------------

OfflineFlusH
    Random person on Internet

Loc: Bizzaro World
        #14388368 - 05/02/11 12:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

no.. they dont include it in the CD.. you can absolutely install them on Ubuntu with no other machine. run it hardwired and use the driver manager.

and if OP is having issues with drivers in Ubuntu, BSD is not going to be the solution.

I was assuming he was using another pc to access the internet already, it sounded to me like he was not able to get his ubuntu box to connect at all ( had no other nic )  But yes if he had another supported network card in the box just use that to get all needed drivers..  Ubuntu does not include atheros drivers on the downloadable iso either fyi, just I just downloaded it to check.

Lol, I am a huge BSD enthusiast, and even though it takes some more reading to know what your getting into, afterward you will have a better understanding on the *nix environments and have a better idea of how to solve problems.  just my opinion

Invisiblefrith
    God

Re: Uh so i just installed ubuntu. (need help) [Re: FlusH]
        #14388438 - 05/02/11 12:50 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

FlusH said:
    Quote:

I was assuming he was using another pc to access the internet already, it sounded to me like he was not able to get his ubuntu box to connect at all ( had no other nic )  But yes if he had another supported network card in the box just use that to get all needed drivers..  Ubuntu does not include atheros drivers on the downloadable iso either fyi, just I just downloaded it to check.

you can install them in literally 4 seconds via the restricted driver manager.. but since he already has them running they arent showing up in there.

Quote:

FlusH said:
    Lol, I am a huge BSD enthusiast, and even though it takes some more reading to know what your getting into, afterward you will have a better understanding on the *nix environments and have a better idea of how to solve problems.  just my opinion

BSD is nice.. i think you learn just as much running Slackware though. and i dont have to worry about hardware compatibility quite as much running linux as i would BSD.

BSD isnt bad.. just not my thing. :shrug:

--------------------

Invisiblesandi
    omg

Loc: M6 (Butterfly Cluster)
        #14394043 - 05/03/11 11:48 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

tk3 said:
    Well the whole reason i'm installing unbuntu is i want to use aircrack. Aircrack told me i need to install ath9k.  ath9k told me i had to enable mac something something drivers.  Mac something something driver told me i had to do something or other.

I've been taking a break after i couldn't find the driver manager.

I'm almost done with my coffee, going to start trying again in a moment.  I've found tons of guides/patches, but they're more or less meaningless to me/don't work/not for my versions of stuff.

I want to get into understanding networks.

edit: this is very frustrating because I'm pretty good at using windows, and even pretty obscure problems i can usually solve within 10 minutes or so on windows :frown:.  Still, its a good challenge learning linux i think.

If you want to use Aircrack, don't install Ubuntu. Use a live cd of Backtrack 3 and install it if you want (or whatever version you want to use). There are many, many reasons to use Backtrack instead. Unless you just wanted to do casual stuff. But still...BT3 is so easy, especially if you just install it and boot to it at startup using GRUB.

Also, check out the Backtrack forums for some tutorials. They will not really hold your hand but they are helpful with driver issues and stuff like that, and most of what you're asking has already been gone over a million times on those forums.

Also, not sure *why* you want to use Aircrack but if it's for cracking wifi the glory days are over, as it's a bit harder now, but good luck on whatever you want to do. Sniffing wifi is cool enough without cracking it.

--------------------

Offlinetk3
    wobbly zombie

Re: Uh so i just installed ubuntu. (need help) [Re: sandi]
        #14394098 - 05/03/11 11:59 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

got it solved yesterday!  i want to start with basic stuff while i learn the (incoherent) terminology of linux. 

sudo ./configure
    sudo make
    sudo make install

:awedisgust:

did every nmap command i could find on my neighbors network... each time i went through doing commands to a specific device on the network it would suddenly not be on the network...

...?

OfflineGoaM
    damaged
     User Gallery

Loc: khole
        #14394170 - 05/03/11 12:12 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

DL BT4 if you want to use aircrack-ng. And Mint is better than Ubuntu, has all the restricted shit already bundled.

--------------------

Invisiblefrith
    God

#14394231 - 05/03/11 12:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

tk3 said:
    i want to start with basic stuff while i learn the (incoherent) terminology of linux.

once you get used to the jargon youll get frustrated when using other OSes because they dont tell you what is wrong.

i always know whats up in linux.. nothing is obscured in some odd database that is inaccessible to normal users.

EDIT:

also, check out the episode archives from Linux Reality. they are gear specifically at teaching new users how linux works.

http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=creator:%22chess%20griffin%22&usort=date

--------------------

Edited by frith (05/03/11 12:28 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom