Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecheezits
Stranger
 User Gallery

Rate my fruiting chamber!
    #14339091 - 04/23/11 03:38 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Hey guys! I'm new to the forum and growing as well. This is my second attempt at growing. My first was sabotaged by some bunk spores from sporestore.com. Any who, my cakes are already 100% colonized, so I created a fruiting chamber for them. I read majority of the the teks out there for using a "cool mist" setup and made mine similar in nature to it.

I constructed it out of a 51qt tub with locking tabs purchased from Home Depot. The "cool mist" is made by Kaz purchased from Walmart. I hooked it up to the tub by taping dryer ducting to the outlet vent on the "cool mist", completely covering the vent so no air could escape other wise. From there I taped the duct to a 3" to 1/2 PVC reducer. The reducer is then connected to a 1/2 to 1/4 reducer with a threaded port. A 6ft 5/8 garden hose is threaded inside and eventually leading up the a small 3/4 port drilled in the tub. I have the other end of the garden hose without the fitting squeezed inside the hole about 1" inside.

The tub itself is filled about 3" to 3.5" full of perlite. I have 4 holes drilled, one hole per side about 1" from the top level of the perlite. This is so the CO2 can be expunged from the fruiting chamber.

Inside the tub, I have three different gauges. Two digital thermometers/hygrometer and one analog hydrometer calibrated with the wet cloth calibration style. I do this since one of the digital ones states the humidity quite well, yet the temperature is in Celsius. The other has the temperature in Fahrenheit, but the hygrometer is way off. The analog one is just so I can be completely sure the humidity is perfect.

This was my second attempt at creating a fruiting chamber, after realizing my first attempt at making a perlite-only chamber didn't hold enough humidity. I didn't want to have to completely devote time in verifying the temperature and humidity, so I created this one.

Temps usually range from 70F to 76F or 20 to 23C, and humidity stays around 90-95% according to the analog hygrometer and 95-98% according to the digital one. 

I have some growth, but this is from my first attempt where my cakes did dry out some. I redunked them for 24 hours and built this new one so they had a good place to fruit once I finished the dunk. One cake shows 3 new pins as of 3 days ago. The rest still show no signs.

http://i.imgur.com/nqzSP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6pIP2.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/QnUnf.jpg

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAjaxx
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Flag
Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: cheezits]
    #14339110 - 04/23/11 03:41 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

way more complicated than it has to be.

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: Ajaxx]
    #14339144 - 04/23/11 03:49 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

So does it even work?

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Offlinei GrOw StUFF
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Space
Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: Doc_T]
    #14339159 - 04/23/11 03:50 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

What the heck....this isn't rocket science

--------------------
The mushrooms, which grow only during the season of torrential rains, awaken the forces of creation and produce an experience of spiritual abundance, of an astonishing, inexhaustible constitution of forms that identifies them with fertility and makes them a mediation, a means of communion, of communication between man and the natural world of which they are the metaphysical flesh.

OfflineBstsneverr
Peace
Male

Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: i GrOw StUFF]
    #14339282 - 04/23/11 04:15 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Overkill bro, simplicity has great rewards...

--------------------
*** Psalm 9:9-10 ***

The lord is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.

Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, lord, have not forsaken those who seek you.

Invisibleshroomybgood
Almost Novice
Male

Loc: Stuck in my HEAD
Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: Bstsneverr]
    #14339761 - 04/23/11 05:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

I like it! If it works for you then awesome too. I have a bad habit of over complicating things myself. I would like to know how it turns out for you.

--------------------
"GET IT TOGETHER ONE MORE TIME"

OfflineMungoFungo
Stranger

Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: shroomybgood] * 1
    #14339788 - 04/23/11 05:52 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

EVERYTIME I TRIED to close my eyes and imagine YOUR chameber.. I KEPT SEEING NAKED LADIES DANCING ONTOP OF MUSHHROOOMS..... WEIRD....

Sorry can't rate your chamber but those girls in my mind are pretty damn hot.. i give em a 10

OfflineAnarchyfest
Dead Skin Mask
Male User Gallery

Loc: South of Heaven, usa Flag
Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: shroomybgood]
    #14339826 - 04/23/11 06:00 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

i would only suggest to make those hoses shorter, i could imagine water is building up in there some where. also with shorter hoses it would send more rh into the tub instead of running down them.
i like the water hoses, :crazy2:. ghetto.
is that cool mist on 24/7?

--------------------
If you must live by the sword, then you will die by the sword.

OfflineAdam553
workin' on it...
Male

Loc: United States, Connecticu...
Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: Anarchyfest]
    #14340007 - 04/23/11 06:47 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

overkill or not, if it works then 10/10

--------------------
The List: Caffeine, Nicotine, Morphine, Codine, Dilaudid, Amphetamine, Psilocybin, LSA, Alcohol, Salvia Divinorum, Nitrous

To Do List: Mescaline, DMT, LSD, MAOI, Yopo, MDA

Offlinemojoganjaman
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: lost in the delta quadran...
Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: Adam553]
    #14340031 - 04/23/11 06:54 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

ya gotta go with what works for you...:wink:))

mojo

--------------------
if the dog hadn't stopped for a shit he woulda caught the rabbit

Offlinegofudgeyourself
Student
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: mojoganjaman]
    #14340091 - 04/23/11 07:08 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

you. only. need. damp. perlite.

and holes.

--------------------
"believe it if you need it, or leave it if you dare."

"turn all the hate in the world, into a mocking bird. make it fly away" :peace:

Offlinehealing
Strangest
Female

Loc: the universe, the milky w...
Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: gofudgeyourself]
    #14340131 - 04/23/11 07:17 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

gofudgeyourself said:

and holes.

This.

Why would you waste so much time, money and effort?

--------------------
Open mind, open heart, open book.

InvisibleeLShaMukO
Male User Gallery

Loc: far away
Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: cheezits]
    #14340140 - 04/23/11 07:18 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

overkill

--------------------

OfflineCHeifM4sterDiezL
Chief Globerts

Loc: United States Flag
Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: eLShaMukO]
    #14340208 - 04/23/11 07:34 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Ive tried to put pf cakes in a 24hr cool mist with a burst of ultrasonic every few hours humidified chamber. A chamber which casings did quite well in. for what ever reason the pf didnt do as well. Experimented the timers on the humidifiers and everything. Same batch in the good old shotgun fc's grew like gangbusters. Idk why maybe to much airflow drying out the raw exposed cakes idk. Cultivation is a science always with the simplest but most effective solution ie. shotgun fc

Offlineskiddy
RockStar
Male

Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: CHeifM4sterDiezL]
    #14340319 - 04/23/11 08:01 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Love it I don't think its over complicated.... built to work and work well

--------------------
PESH : Pinning
Transeski : colonizing
Orrisa : colonizing
Mex a : colonizing

You're not a mycologist just because you grow mushrooms.

Invisiblefngbronco
Monkey Man
Male

Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: skiddy]
    #14340428 - 04/23/11 08:27 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

SGFC is all you need, even for mini bulks/blocks.

--------------------
I challenge you to challenge yourself more! When you feel complacent and ready to hang it up, challenge yourself to get over it! If you fail, don't look at it as you didn't succeed, look at it as you would a rock face you're trying to climb. Stand back, wayyyy back, and look at it and plot another path. If you can't find one, shuffle down the way a little, a little change of scenery or a view from a different angle may give you the insight you need.

Anything I state is relayed information from a friend of a friend and should be viewed as completely fictitious. I do not partake in any illegal or grey-area-of-the-law activities, but do have lots of friends who may or may not.    -fngbronco

Pill Divider Agar Tek

Offlinecheezits
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: Doc_T]
    #14342316 - 04/24/11 06:32 AM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
So does it even work?

I do have some pinning occuring, but its only on one cake. That was the same cake that was pinning before. I may have birthed the cakes a bit too early and they're consolidating their hold on the substrate still, but it did look to be 100% colonized when I birthed them. Other than that, it holds the temperature and humidity well.

Quote:

i GrOw StUFF said:
What the heck....this isn't rocket science

I just wanted to be absolutely certain that it maintained proper temp and humidity levels without me having to be there..

Quote:

skiddy said:
Love it I don't think its over complicated.... built to work and work well

Thank you =D

Edited by cheezits (04/24/11 06:40 AM)

OfflineItheus
Tsigolocym emos
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maine Flag
Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: gofudgeyourself]
    #14405165 - 05/05/11 01:02 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

gofudgeyourself said:

and holes.

Every climate is different. Just because damp perlite alone works well in your area, in your grow space, doesn't mean that's true for everyone. Where I live, perlite (shotgun FCs in general) won't get humidity above 80% in the winter, even when the FC is kept at 80F; I have tried far more than 4", it is not an issue of volume. In my apartment in winter, the air is so dry that I can leave a fresh mushroom on the coffee-table in my living room and have it nearly dry in a day, and dry enough to 'snap' when broken in two. Since it's the opposite in the summer here, it took me several years of being unable to fruit in the winter to realize that only a SEALED fruiting chamber, with controlled air exchange (HEPA filtered aquarium bubbler) could keep humidity high enough. Even then, I used perlite with a heating mat under the terrarium, kept it filled with trays cased in 50/50, and misted when RH got low or casings appeared to be desiccated.

Sorry to rant, but point is: don't assume that because you have it easy, everyone does. I might as well be growing fungi in outer-space here sometimes. Thank Zeus for March, at least.

OfflineItheus
Tsigolocym emos
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maine Flag
Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: Itheus]
    #14405187 - 05/05/11 01:08 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

And on a more thread-related note, I think the FC is fine. Shorter hoses is smart advice, but some people are just scared of complications; ignore them. If it maintains temperature and RH, you're probably headed for success. I don't see why people would be skeptical. Plus, the less maintenance the better. I prefer to =check= my terrariums, not maintain them. Most real mycological work should occur in the flowhood; an FC should merely be the host for the rewards of that work.

Offlinesporesmores420
SillyPsybin
 User Gallery

Re: Rate my fruiting chamber! [Re: Itheus]
    #14405291 - 05/05/11 01:37 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

SHOW US THE FRUITS!!!  We will rate it based on those. :strokebeard3:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder