Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinesickofit
*statement*
Male User Gallery

Loc: Local Park Flag
Living off of cash
    #14304443 - 04/17/11 02:03 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Talk about it

--------------------
A Resource on Psi, Science, and Philosophy
The Taboo of Psi
Trade/Want List
Mechanisms and reactions
Is ____ down, or is it just me?
You know, its against the rules to discuss/trade research chemical sources on the board, oh hey look,a "contact user" button, isn't this site the greatest!
Done(In order):
Nicotine, THC, Psilocybin (Cubes,P. Cyans,Pan. Cinctulus), MDMA, LSD, 2C-E, Methampetamine, Lost track of how many JWH's, MDA, Nitrous Oxide, 2C-I, Cocaine, Ketamine, TMA-6, 2C-B, DOC, DXM, 4-MMC, MDAI, MDAT, MDPV, butylone, pentedrone, MXE, 25i, 25c, 25b, hydromorphone, 2 and 4-FA, 2 and 4 FMA, 6-apb, DMT

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemeatcakeman
the search for bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: el sol
Re: Living off of cash [Re: sickofit]
    #14304636 - 04/17/11 03:57 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

so, i'm assuming you're talking about a life without loans, credit, debit, etc., but with only federal reserve banknotes?

i think you might learn to be a frugal spender and have a different meaning to monetary value. also, you'd probably make smarter choices when it comes to long-term investments.

but the con's would be there, too. honestly though, imo, there are too many drawbacks to living off of cash, but i'm too lazy to list them all.

--------------------
大开眼界

:awegroove:
:fbsnugs::fbsnugs::fbsnugs:
Hasta siempre, comandante.
:mattz:

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Living off of cash [Re: sickofit] * 1
    #14304883 - 04/17/11 06:46 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

If you have a whole lot of cash and want to live off it, and its lets say plenty for that purpose ($10,000,000 in todays dollars) we wont ask you how you got it but...

What I would do is get out of cash IMMEDIATELY and into gold and silver, then convert the metal when you need it for the amount of money its worth at that time.

Not because I think gold and silver will gain a lot of worth but they will PRESERVE it.

Dude, by 2015 there may not even BE a US Dollar, a Yuan or Euro. It may all go to shit, in which case your "cash" is worth dick.

How much dick?

Well in present day Uganda I think that for one ounce of silver you can easily get not just five wheelbarrows full of trillion dollar bills, but also five guys who wil ride those around town for you and put them in the trunk of your SUV.

That much dick. Your Dollars and Euros may have NO VALUE AT ALL except the paper value at the recycling plant.

Gold and silver have been valuable for thousands of years.

For one ounce of gold you in Old Rome could dress like a Senator with the4 finest robes and sandals, in medieval times you could dress like a nobleman and now it buys a fine business suit with tie and shoes.

Jesus was betrayed by Judas for half a pound of silver. In the 1700s a fistful of gold could buy you a slave, a human being, and at present day that same amount buys you an awesome Mercedes.

And during all that time almost all money in history that wasnt expressed in gold or silver lost ALL its value.

Dont live off of CASH, if you are in a position to live off what you have and dont need to bother about your capital now, get into gold and silver IMMEDIATELY.

Or buy a bunch of houses! But for the love of God, not friggin federal reserve banknotes! Thats the worst thing to have a lot of in these times.

I can totally see ten thousand dollar/euro bills in your wallet in a few years, being spent on things like bread and milk by the handful.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Edited by Asante (04/17/11 06:50 AM)

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Living off of cash [Re: Asante]
    #14304887 - 04/17/11 06:50 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Your Dollars and Euros may have NO VALUE AT ALL

Although I concede this an intellectual possibility, in actual practice it's so unlikely as to be irrelevant.
You might as well plan your future based on an upcoming asteroid impact.

And if the dollar, yuan, and euro all go worthless overnight, silver will be worth less than lead, if you see what I mean.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Living off of cash [Re: Doc_T] * 1
    #14304916 - 04/17/11 07:05 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Although I concede this an intellectual possibility, in actual practice it's so unlikely as to be irrelevant.
You might as well plan your future based on an upcoming asteroid impact.

:horly:

Read the signs of the times man! The Fed is pumping out dollars by the trillions, at zero interest rates, for YEARS now.

You are suffering from normalcy bias, the notion that "it cant happen here" because you havent experienced it firsthand.

Whats becoming exceedingly unlikely is that we get out of this MESS with nothing but our pride hurt.

Quote:

And if the dollar, yuan, and euro all go worthless overnight, silver will be worth less than lead, if you see what I mean.

What if they collapse one after another in a bit more gradual way, and all sorts of antics are pulled like new currencies being instated and the like?

Unless you or I are on an unexpectedly short time frame, I'm convinced we're going to see something like that go down. What form it will take is unknown but YOUR CAPITAL WILL BE SLAUGHTERED if you have it in Dollars, or Euros, or Yuan.

Doc_T, when the good ole USA is about to turn into a wild wild west with famine you dont need to get an AK47 with a bunch of ammo, you need to buy a plane ticket and get the FLOCK out of there before everybody tries to bail and the system jams with refugees.

In the years after the invention of the Atomic Bomb, "Duck and Cover" did it for you. After the megaton hydrogen bomb era started, bombs that could lay waste to entire regions and form their own weathersystems around the mushroom cloud the motto wasnt "duck and cover", it was "run like the wind" and try get the hell out of Dodge before the whole horizon gets tossed up.

I dont thing there will be a wild wild west anarchy in the US, that didnt happen with the Great Depression too.  Instead, solidarity ensued.  But if there will be an anarchy with famine in a country with that many guns and glorification of individualism and violence, GET THE FLOCK OUT WHILE YOU STILL CAN. If that happens (but it wont) you got a zombie apocalypse on your hands, except the zombies got glocks, assault rifles, intelligence and are even more hungry than in Dawn Of The Dead.

I really really dont think it will be THAT acute and THAT bad. But if.. Doc_T last week I almost died (OD) and I can assure you the desire to survive no matter what, is VERY compelling. If this worst of the worst "famine-anarchy" situation will happen many people will take ANMY option to put food in their mouths. One of those options is cannibalism. You see it in that plane crash movie, and hear stories about it happening in war zones in Africa. Dont take the racist assumption that in Africa "its a cultural thing".  Its NOT. Its wehat many people, the people you meet in the street and at the mall today, will resort to well within 28 days after their last meal. You may be killed, not for your wallet or your shoes, but for food.

I repeat: I really dont think it will happen that way, but if it does, yes, it will really get THAT gruesome. The number of people who will roll over and die slowly is very limited.

Doc_T, I'm a VERY modest man. Downright shy and full of social conventions I feel should be upheld to the letter. Within hours of my stimulant OD I was VOLUNTARILY pissing in the ER stretcher holding my fathers hand because I needed every fiber of my energy to survive that thing. They put a diaper on me when I kept doing that, with my father watching (well, politely looking away). I brought that up with him later and he said: "don't worry about that, when you have to survive, you'll do anything." That Sir is my point right there. You'll do ANYTHING to survive when push comes to shove and all decency, morals and social conventions are right out the window.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Edited by Asante (04/17/11 07:33 AM)

Offlinesickofit
*statement*
Male User Gallery

#14306707 - 04/17/11 02:26 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Wow how existential of an experience right there.
(Oh and I'll use this opportunity to say I'm a fan of your work)

--------------------
The Taboo of Psi
Trade/Want List
Mechanisms and reactions
You know, its against the rules to discuss/trade research chemical sources on the board, oh hey look,a "contact user" button, isn't this site the greatest!
Done(In order):
Nicotine, THC, Psilocybin (Cubes,P. Cyans,Pan. Cinctulus), MDMA, LSD, 2C-E, Methampetamine, Lost track of how many JWH's, MDA, Nitrous Oxide, 2C-I, Cocaine, Ketamine, TMA-6, 2C-B, DOC, DXM, 4-MMC, MDAI, MDAT, MDPV, butylone, pentedrone, MXE, 25i, 25c, 25b, hydromorphone, 2 and 4-FA, 2 and 4 FMA, 6-apb, DMT

Offlineriffdex
Stranger
    #14306955 - 04/17/11 03:09 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

The fed has been pumping money for years. While I agree that this is a bad thing, it does not necessarily mean our monetary system is going to collapse anytime soon. He is not suffering from the normalcy bias because he is not underestimating the likelihood of such a disaster. It really is a very unlikely scenario. What makes you think that you'll be any better off with gold and silver? These metals only have value because mankind gives them value, just like fiat currency. If the entire fabric of society breaks down, you should not be concerned with having precious metals available, but with having food, water and shelter. In a global catastrophe, the only items of real value are those that can benefit and nourish men. It is not as if gold and silver have some innate "power" that grants them value, they are given value by mankind.

Edited by riffdex (04/17/11 03:10 PM)

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Living off of cash [Re: riffdex]
    #14307558 - 04/17/11 04:53 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

It really is a very unlikely scenario.

Please make a thread in 2020 to ridicule me. I really hope to be wrong, and I really hope to be alive in 2020 so lets make a deal that you ridicule me then in a thread and I'll sticky it for a week across all forums if you make it good :yesnod:

Silver maples have a 9999 purity. Pass a current between two of them in distilled water and you have colloidal silver, which can be used to dress wounds, treat illness, sterilize objects etc. That can be useful when the proverbial shit hits the fan.

Colloidal silver is no tinfoil hat talk. It WAS used in mainstream medicine and it was effective, its just more effective stuff has come around. But, if you cant GET that more effective treatment, colloidal silver is a whole lot more effective than nothing.

Rinse two glasses and a silver coin. Put the coin in one glass. Fill them both with milk, place something on top and put in a dark cupboard. See which spoils first. Try it ten times, a hundred times.. you'll see a pattern. Silver has potent antimicrobial action even in metal form. In finely divided form, a lot more so.

Thats inherent value.

Oh and theres gold under every key of your keyboard, its the perfect electric contact coating. You may find your water boiler's heating element coated with it if you have a higher enmd one, to resist calcium buildup. Gold teeth, not just a fashion statement, holds a lot longer than alternatives.

See? Inherent value.

The only significant value for paper money in a SHTF scenario I see is that you can carbonize it in absence of oxygen (yes in a piece of tinfoil :yesnod:) and use the carbonated paper to catch the spark of a flint, to make a fire. Newspaper does that too. A piece of linen, even better. Thats not worth the $50 printed on it. A silver maple though, why you can saw it in two and make something like a hundred gallons of colloidal silver solution.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offlinebatman returns
Dude man
Male User Gallery

#14309657 - 04/17/11 11:23 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

i would say if the worry is that grave, buy food. lots of canned food. i think that will go up in value faster than gold or silver anyway! i think i'll start my collection tomorrow. :grin:

OfflineDivinity
Wanderer of Paths
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iowa
Re: Living off of cash [Re: batman returns]
    #14309711 - 04/17/11 11:34 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I only use cash. Dont have a bank account, I like it that way. It's relatively easy to save money if you want to conserve

--------------------

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Living off of cash [Re: batman returns]
    #14311076 - 04/18/11 09:27 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

i would say if the worry is that grave, buy food. lots of canned food. i think that will go up in value faster than gold or silver anyway!

I'm doing just that, and even when it all doesnt hit the fan, I'm going to save money on that cauyse food IS getting more expen$ive and buying in bulk IS cheaper.

But I can't buy $ quite a bit worth of canned beans and corned beef now can I, shit would expire even if I ate it every day, all day.

I'm really really not rich guys, but what I have is more than double what I would have if I didnt get into gold and silver
to this guy I'm rich but I'm not worth a second of this guy's business time.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offlinedrgraffensberg
Stranger
Male
    #14330149 - 04/21/11 09:21 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I cook for a living, in a small town outside of chicago. I work for cash. $13.50 and hour. Make about $550 a week. I get no insurance, and I'm paying no social security, bla bla bla. Dont care either. I'm not paying for Mexican babies, and for the brothers to sell their link cards at half the value for crack. I'm a working man, and i dont want to hear about 401k, paid vacations, or unions, Work for what you get paid and get paid for what you work. Anything else is a bonus.

InvisibleJohnnyConverse
Stranger

Re: Living off of cash [Re: drgraffensberg]
    #14331363 - 04/22/11 01:33 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

if all the currencies collapse why would anyone give you anything for gold? If all the currencies collapse, I'm just going to take what I want by raiding from my compound in the rockies.

Thank god I was raised by right wing loonies.

And seriously? The industrial value of precious metals has NOTHING to do with their value. Their value is as a token for barter, just like paper money.

Their conductivity and medical uses are NOT what drives their price and will not cause those materials to hold value in a collapse.

Horde machine tools instead a working lathe or reloading set will be worth its weight in gold

--------------------
I wasn't an activist until I got put in jail. I sat there in jail seeing what was really going on in America and something changed. Now when people say, "Tommy what was jail like?" I say "You'll see" -- Tommy Chong

Edited by JohnnyConverse (04/22/11 01:37 AM)

InvisibleJohnnyConverse
Stranger

Re: Living off of cash [Re: JohnnyConverse]
    #14331382 - 04/22/11 01:39 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

OP seriously though were you talking about LITERALLY living on cash under the table or living without debt?

--------------------
I wasn't an activist until I got put in jail. I sat there in jail seeing what was really going on in America and something changed. Now when people say, "Tommy what was jail like?" I say "You'll see" -- Tommy Chong

Invisibleshroomedalice
frog goten

Re: Living off of cash [Re: JohnnyConverse]
    #14331925 - 04/22/11 06:34 AM (12 years, 11 months ago)

palladium :smile:

well under priced rarer than gold and platinum

and used for pharm chemistry cat converters in cars
and most forms of tech.

can see that one going up real soon and it is.

OfflineResearChman
Male

Loc: Midwest
Re: Living off of cash [Re: shroomedalice]
    #14338149 - 04/23/11 12:11 PM (12 years, 11 months ago)

I just don't see the US allowing a complete collapse of its monetary system without an immediate fix on deck such as switching everything to digital (RFID). Isn't it like only 3% of the US money in circulation is actually paper and the rest is all digital?

Offlinesickofit
*statement*
Male User Gallery

Re: Living off of cash [Re: ResearChman]
    #14349160 - 04/25/11 01:50 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

How would one get a place with just cash?
Don't you need a "source of income"
Same thing with buying a car?

--------------------
The Taboo of Psi
Trade/Want List
Mechanisms and reactions
Done(In order):

Invisiblep_walter
Lurker
 User Gallery

Loc: Irrelevant
    #14350230 - 04/25/11 05:08 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

sickofit said:

Car is easy, just pay cash (like, in full). I've owned five vehicles and never paid a single car payment; every one was paid in full, in cash. Sign the title, hand over the money.

As for a place to live, try craigslist. Plenty of people renting out spare bedrooms/etc.

--------------------
Coaster said: so i got free drug coupons witch u floozies refer to as "money"....

Offlinebatman returns
Dude man
Male User Gallery

Re: Living off of cash [Re: p_walter]
    #14352777 - 04/25/11 11:43 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

make exact change all the time. keep coins and smaller denominations on you for this, be that little old lady at the checkout line.

InvisibleJohnnyConverse
Stranger

#14356621 - 04/26/11 05:45 PM (12 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

sickofit said:

This is a different question if you mean "With a shoebox full of 20s" vs if you mean "without debt"

again are you talking about simply avoiding debt or about not banking at all?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder