Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineEarth Shaman
Earth Lover

Pleurotus? Need confirmation.
    #1418317 - 03/30/03 01:07 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Hey, all. Found this guy on a hike around the woods today. My books point to pleurotus, but I'm not sure what species. Plus, I've never found pleurotus here before, so I'm a bit cautious with this find. Would like a second opinion.
Here's the info:
Found growing in tight, multi-tiered group on small stump.
Cap lateral and slightly domed, light khaki color, no discernable stipe.
Cap margin wavy, under-rolled.
Cap texture smooth, almost rubbery.
Odor pleasant, taste not bitter or acrid.
Gills white, almost distant.
Here's some pics:

--------------------
Walk in Beauty,
The Green Earth Shaman

"Whatever you take from Mother Earth, replace it, because nothing is for nothing."
-Native American Proverb

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEarth Shaman
Earth Lover

Re: Pleurotus? Need confirmation. [Re: Earth Shaman]
    #1418320 - 03/30/03 01:10 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Oh, forgot location. Southern Illinois.

--------------------
Walk in Beauty,
The Green Earth Shaman

"Whatever you take from Mother Earth, replace it, because nothing is for nothing."
-Native American Proverb

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1418742 - 03/30/03 06:17 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Well, I'm not that great when it comes to IDing mushrooms that grow on wood, but I wanted to compliment you on a *very* nice description.

I only wish everyone could describe mushrooms as well as you did, it'd make things a lot easier for everyone. :wink:

Well done! :smile:

Anonymous

Post deleted by Administrator [Re: Gumby]
    #1418757 - 03/30/03 06:26 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Pleurotus? Need confirmation. [Re: ]
    #1418820 - 03/30/03 07:09 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

good description

just wondering what kinda plants are you growing in that second pic?

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Pleurotus? Need confirmation. [Re: blaze2]
    #1418898 - 03/30/03 08:50 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Those do look like Pleurotus. There are a couple other things you should verify to be sure.

You need to verify the spore print color. You have a good chance that the lower cap(s) in the group will have a deposit of spores from the mushroom(s) above them. For Pleurotus the spore print should be white to a pale lilac.

Check the gill edges to see that they are straight and not serrated. The photos seem to show straight gill edges. Serrated gills would indicate Lentinus or Lentinellus.

If these two things check out then they are definitely Pleurotus (Oyster Mushrooms), and they are edible.

It's also a good idea in general to note if the wood they're growing on is pine (or spruce or other conifer) or hardwood. For many species you need to know which of the two it is.

Nice photos and excellent description. Glad you see you showing caution, too.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineEarth Shaman
Earth Lover

Re: Pleurotus? Need confirmation. [Re: blaze2]
    #1418983 - 03/30/03 09:55 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks, man.  I try to be as accurate as I can.  Hunting mushrooms has been a hobby of mine for some years now, and a good description could be the difference between a tasty snack and a deadly mistake.  As for the plants in the second picture, the ones that are visible are sage ( Salvia officianalis ) seedlings.  They're just getting their second set of leaves.  I'm also growing chamomile, mullein, and lavendar in that tray.  A tray to the right is full of 6 inch tall tomato plants.  We like to garden around here.  :smile:
I'll be sure and go back to where I found this guy.  I've been looking for oysters around this area for quite some time! 

--------------------
Walk in Beauty,
The Green Earth Shaman

-Native American Proverb

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #1419042 - 03/30/03 10:40 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, those are Pleurotus. Good find. There is nothing similar that is dangerous to eat. You can return to that stump whenever it rains or stays damp for a week or so throughout the year. Try to get them young, they quickly get infested with maggots.

I looked for oysters for years in my area before I finally figured out where to look. They grow abundantly near rivers/streams/marshes on alders and willows. I can now see them while driving. I have also found them in second growth douglas fir forests that have overgrown and shaded to death a stand of alder.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Pleurotus? Need confirmation. [Re: Workman]
    #1419160 - 03/31/03 12:12 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

yea we like to garden down here too. i have some sage in my herb garden right now actually. well great find there wish i could find mushrooms worth eating/tripping no luck so far. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom