Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleSlashOZ
:D
Male

Loc: Following the water cycle
Vegetarians and death anxiety * 4
    #14183075 - 03/25/11 06:23 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Does anyone else think that vegetarians / vegans are afraid to eat animals because they are reminded of their own mortality when they see a dead animal being served as food?

By moving away from eating meat and being confronted with death they think they can preserve their own life. Eating vegetables, fruits, and breads seem safe because they do not involve the death of an animal such as themselves. They say, 'being a vegetarian is healthier than eating meat' etc to prove to themselves that they are further away from death than those that eat meat.

--------------------
"Life sucks but in this really beautiful way" - Axl Rose
"Life's a bitch and then you die that's why we get high cuz you never know when you're gonna go." - NAS
"When people don't know what you're about they put you down and shut you out" - Black Sabbath
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" - Gandhi
"Look up at me I am God, look down on me and I am evil, look at me I am you." - Charles Manson.
"Don't question my reality." - Me (as far as I know)

Edited by SlashOZ (03/25/11 06:27 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCyclohexylamine
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
 User Gallery

Re: Vegetarians and death anxiety [Re: SlashOZ]
    #14183106 - 03/25/11 06:29 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

:facepalm:

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
    #14183111 - 03/25/11 06:30 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Icelander would have an answer for you, but he is off in the wild killing some poor critter.

--------------------

Offlinemeatcakeman
the search for bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: el sol
    #14183123 - 03/25/11 06:33 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

SlashOZ said:
Does anyone else think that vegetarians / vegans are afraid to eat animals because they are reminded of their own mortality when they see a dead animal being served as food?

By moving away from eating meat and being confronted with death they think they can preserve their own life. Eating vegetables, fruits, and breads seem safe because they do not involve the death of an animal such as themselves. They say, 'being a vegetarian is healthier than eating meat' etc to prove to themselves that they are further away from death than those that eat meat.

this is sound logic. you should be a college philosophy professor. you just won the game.

--------------------
大开眼界

:awegroove:
:fbsnugs::fbsnugs::fbsnugs:
Hasta siempre, comandante.
:mattz:

InvisibleEminence
Male

Loc: Richmond, VA Flag
Re: Vegetarians and death anxiety [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #14183131 - 03/25/11 06:34 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

I wonder why so many vegetarions I've seen are so pale and sickly looking if it's such a healthy lifestyle. :strokebeard:

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Vegetarians and death anxiety [Re: Eminence]
    #14183141 - 03/25/11 06:36 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Remember that alcohol and tobacco come from plants not meat.

--------------------

InvisibleSlashOZ
Male

Re: Vegetarians and death anxiety *DELETED* [Re: meatcakeman]
    #14183169 - 03/25/11 06:43 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Post deleted by SlashOZ

Reason for deletion: ___

--------------------
"Life's a bitch and then you die that's why we get high cuz you never know when you're gonna go." - NAS
"When people don't know what you're about they put you down and shut you out" - Black Sabbath
"Look up at me I am God, look down on me and I am evil, look at me I am you." - Charles Manson.

Edited by SlashOZ (03/25/11 06:44 PM)

OfflineNymphaea
Money-less Wanderer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mitten Flag
    #14183171 - 03/25/11 06:43 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

I'm a vegietarian, but I'll eat meat if I hunt it or fish for it so I don't think dead animals give me death anxiety.  In fact, I would say people who eat meat every meal and never see any animals killed get the joy of meat with out the experience of being reminded of the nature of mortality. 

Eating or being healthy is done by a lot of people, and certainly some of them are doing it because of death anxiety, but I doubt all of them are.

By "pale and sickly" do you mean skinny frylock91?

Every vegietarian I've met has been very healthy looking.  I'm probably the least healthy of all the vegetarians I know and I would say I look very average.

--------------------
:huxleyfacepalm:

Plant Trees

InvisibleSlashOZ
Male

Re: Vegetarians and death anxiety [Re: Nymphaea]
    #14183206 - 03/25/11 06:48 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Nymphaea said:
I'm a vegietarian, but I'll eat meat if I hunt it or fish for it so I don't think dead animals give me death anxiety.  In fact, I would say people who eat meat every meal and never see any animals killed get the joy of meat with out the experience of being reminded of the nature of mortality. 

Eating or being healthy is done by a lot of people, and certainly some of them are doing it because of death anxiety, but I doubt all of them are.

By "pale and sickly" do you mean skinny frylock91?

Every vegietarian I've met has been very healthy looking.  I'm probably the least healthy of all the vegetarians I know and I would say I look very average.

I agree that not all vegetarians and vegans are experiencing death anxiety by making such dietary choices and probably should have said that in my first post.

I find it interesting that you eat meat if you are the one that works to earn it for a meal. Why do you eat it only if you are the one that obtains it from nature?

--------------------

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

Re: Vegetarians and death anxiety [Re: OrgoneConclusion] * 2
    #14183213 - 03/25/11 06:50 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

I think its a identity issue as vegetarians probably see themselves as an animal like a deer or rabbit when in reality they are human omnivores.  That and I think they don't like the characteristics of aggression that comes with having to kill food, as every vege I know is a pacifist.  So its more the aggression involved than the concept of death.  After all, they do eat dead carrots and such.

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

InvisibleBlondell_Letrange
No other.
Female User Gallery

Loc: OZ Flag
    #14183237 - 03/25/11 06:56 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

SlashOZ said:

I experience death anxiety, because I am a living human.

Meat doesn't just represent my own death, in our society it also represents suffering.

I experience empathy for animals that are raised and live their entire lives in industrial factory conditions.

It is not preaching, just how I feel on the matter, therefore I am attempting to remain true to myself.

--------------------
:inlove3::inlove3:

InvisibleEminence
Male

Loc: Richmond, VA Flag
    #14183245 - 03/25/11 06:56 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

No they just didn't look that healthy, they seemed like they had diminished skin tone and just by looking at them they looked kind of sick or something, it's hard to describe but these were vegetarians who have been vegetarians for a long time.

I had a friend that was vegetarian, she had gotten weaker since she made the choice, and she had a stomach ulcer and the doctor said it was from acid build up in her stomach from being vegetarian because more of your excess acid is used on meat than vegetation, something a long those lines.

She eventually started eating meat, got her strength back up over time, started looking better and her stomach started to get better as well.

Humans were meant to eat meat though so it makes sense to me that some problems can occur if you completely cut it out of your diet. I'm not saying there's no such thing as a vegetarian that isn't unhealthy, I was just sayin that all the ones I've seen seemed like they were malnourished or something.

--------------------

Invisiblegiza
Male

Re: Vegetarians and death anxiety [Re: Buckeye Oysters] * 2
    #14183261 - 03/25/11 06:59 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

When I was vegetarian it was more for respecting other living beings.

InvisibleSlashOZ
Male

Re: Vegetarians and death anxiety [Re: giza] * 1
    #14183268 - 03/25/11 07:01 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

giza said:
When I was vegetarian it was more for respecting other living beings.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you kind of a thing, eh? You don't want to kill them in hopes that you too will not meat that fate? :vaped:

--------------------

Offlinemeatcakeman
the search for bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Loc: el sol
Re: Vegetarians and death anxiety [Re: SlashOZ] * 2
    #14183292 - 03/25/11 07:04 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

SlashOZ said:

Quote:

meatcakeman said:
Quote:

SlashOZ said:

this is sound logic. you should be a college philosophy professor. you just won the game.

This is more psychological than anything but whatever...

I see that death anxiety is mentioned quite a bit on this forum and I was wondering if death anxiety might have to do with some people choosing to be vegetarians/vegans.

I also see a lot of dismissive, worthless, and rude posts here so I guess I expected to much! :picard:

surprisingly, psychology is a science. and unbeknownst to you, science requires quantitative evidence. what you are proposing is a completely and obviously irrational correlation between two things that are inherently different. you were probably high when you thought of it. if not, you should have been. hence, you are a philosopher.

--------------------
大开眼界

:awegroove:
:fbsnugs::fbsnugs::fbsnugs:
Hasta siempre, comandante.
:mattz:

OfflineNetDiver
Wandering Mindfuck

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: Vegetarians and death anxiety [Re: SlashOZ] * 1
    #14183295 - 03/25/11 07:05 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

If anything, I think it's the opposite- vegetarianism is more frank about the reality of death and suffering. We don't just shut it out of our minds and eat a burger like most do.

I recognize that deciding to eat meat is more than just a preference of choice- it's a choice between life and death for some living being out there.

--------------------

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

#14183301 - 03/25/11 07:06 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Potato chips and Pepsi is a vegan diet. :yesnod:

--------------------

Invisibleawakendone
Male User Gallery

#14183304 - 03/25/11 07:06 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

frylock91 said:
I wonder why so many vegetarions I've seen are so pale and sickly looking if it's such a healthy lifestyle. :strokebeard:

i know what you mean, ive seen this sooo many times. i feel that just being a vegetarian will not make someone healthier than a meat eater. however, if it's done properly it can be much healthier.

im not really sure about the OP though. :shrug: i have just a weird obsession about dead animals. i've been known to search for the most graphic pics of them when i am tripping!

i will say that vegetable juice makes me feel sooo good and so alive. when i used to eat meat i didnt feel as good as i do now, i felt dull in comparison.

as far as i am concerned quality of life>longevity

OfflineNetDiver
Wandering Mindfuck

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: Vegetarians and death anxiety [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #14183318 - 03/25/11 07:09 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Potato chips and Pepsi is a vegan diet. :yesnod:

Indisputable proof that all vegan diets are less healthy! :thumbup:

--------------------

OfflineNymphaea
Money-less Wanderer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Mitten Flag
Re: Vegetarians and death anxiety [Re: Nymphaea] * 2
    #14183347 - 03/25/11 07:13 PM (13 years, 6 days ago)

Killing animals for food is "natural" but IMO the meat that we get served in the West is not.  Animals are treated very poorly, and the conditions they live in contribute to disease which sometimes spread to humans.  We feed them massive amounts of corn because the US government heavily subsidizes it.  With the amount of calories we feed them compared to the amount of calories we get from them, we end up losing a shit ton of calories.  We also end up using a lot more water to grow the crops we feed them.

The meat industry is also one of the largest (if not the largest) contributers to global warming and pollution.  The farts of cows alone produce a crazy amount of methane (quite comical I know).  Of course there would be cows on the Earth without us, but not NEARLY as many as there are now. 

Plus there is a lot of deforestation done to plant more crops to feed livestock.

We eat meat so much, and our demand for meat keeps going up, it is being produced more and more and the problems associated with it continue to grow.

I feel like the most respectful thing I can do for Earth and the other organisms here is to take what I can obtain from the Earth and not what someone else can produce and sell to me. 

I plan to live on a small farm someday and support myself through hunting/fishing/gathering and perhaps a little farming.

--------------------
:huxleyfacepalm:

Plant Trees

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies