Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinedr4g0n
sleeps withdragons

Cobweb mold, prevention before detection?
    #1408563 - 03/25/03 10:12 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Is there any way to prevent cobweb that anyone has heard of? Every single jar and or casing that my friend gary from bali makes gets infected!!!! This is so annoying and disappointing, and it seems like theres no stopping it. This cobweb will contaminate even the cakes themselves when he puts them in the fruiting chamber after they are 100% colonized. Which is ridiculous as its a waste of a months work.

When he dunks should he dunk in a peroxide/water mix? Should he make his casings with peroxide water? Im ripping out my hair trying to defeat this enemy that I cant even see.

Are cobweb spores airborne or do they require something to carry them around? Would it matter if my friend gary sprayed his walls with a peroxide soloution?

What is the estimated time that cobweb spoores can live for? Does it matter how generally clean his kitchen area is? He has a lot of shit that just sits in his sink because he never washes his dishes or cleans.

If he opened his window and put a fan in it for a long time, and im assuming cobweb spoores are airborn, can he suck out all the bad air?

I dunno at this point im just desperate to get rid of this shit, making guesses and such. Cobweb is the only mold that has been causing a problem for my friend. Thanks as all imput is appreciated

--------------------
Talk to my Aol Instant messenger robot, screen name YakSpuiT
http://www.canivour.net/~yakspuit/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
Re: Cobweb mold, prevention before detection? [Re: dr4g0n]
    #1408823 - 03/25/03 11:52 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

you could put really nice filters in your vents, vacuum completely, turn off the air after circulation and spray your house with bleach water and just stain your walls and get contams. BUT its a good precaution, the mold spores are carried through the air. you know like on tv how they have the mold spore counts and stuff? well thats kind of what that is. make sure there is no air blowing around when your working with your stuff, innoculation to be exact. or if your doing transfers i think you NEED a glovebox of some sort, cause the tranfer of open mycelium, its like opening up your flesh to transport muscles or organs, you dont want to do it in the open in your kitchen or you might end up with some nasty shite in your body and croak from infection! i think its bleach water to dunk, and a light peroxide spray for humidification. i know it can survive the bleach water, i have tried, but i know if you spray bleach water on the cakes it just hampers the growth.

I have had several several encounters with cobweb, until one fine day. I had pre sterlized all my substrate material, sticking the brown rice flour and vermiculite for the substrate and for the dry vermiculite layer in the oven for 20 minutes at about 375. after this i mixed in a clean bowl with fresh clean water. (from the tap) but i Pressure cooked them. those babies came out looking like gold from the heavens! and after so many half assed attempt to try and colonize jars only ending up with cobweb, trichoderma, other nasty shite. i had only lost one jar out of 8 to contaminants!

that contaminant could have been from when i had been fooling around with the jars after innoculation and took the tape off and replaced with foil and blah blah blah. but you dont want to leave the tape on and make sure you have foil that is semi wrapped around the jars... i think that really helped. with the increase of incubation time you have an increase in the chance of contaminants. after 100 % colonization its not too likely to get cobweb unless you are just careless.

when i made the terranium i as well sterlized the perlite in the oven near 400 for 20 minutes. then i ran the perlite through water in a strainer. I made sure the terranium had been thoroughly clean with some wipes and bleach water solution. then added perlite and sprayed again with bleach water. covered. let sit, inserted cakes. sprayed and let it go. i only used bleach water once and then peroxide after that and everything was fine. ocassionaly spray the air outside where my terranium was kept as to reduce in airborn contaminants. but as far as that goes you have judge by where the locale of your terranium is kept and adjust accordingly.

i doubt you will be able to suck all the contaminants out, you will be drawing the air out somehow. unless you live in a flowhood i doubt you will get them out  :grin: . dishes are stationary and shouldnt make too much of a mess unless there is mold in them and you start waving them around. or unless you start getting all touchy feely everywhere and compromise your cleaninless through physically tranporting contaminants. just keep your hands on your work and remember to keep up with your moves. ive done a few dumbass mistakes but nothing bad that has compromised the integrity of our friends.

i hope that helps.

it might not be a bad idea though to let your house air out, i.e. leave the windows open. but then i might let the air circulate in the house. but i think its most important to spray or make sure you have a safe place to innoculate... like an oven.

--------------------
What?

InvisibleLotus
Im water swim tome be my fireburn with me.

Re: Cobweb mold, prevention before detection? [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1409883 - 03/25/03 07:26 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

scoop it and hit it with 50/50 and your all good

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#1411066 - 03/26/03 08:17 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I do have to question Gary's experience with growing? Is he new to growing? It sounds unlikely that he would get cobweb in every single jar and casing EVERY time he grows. Is he exagerrating?

I'm just wondering if he really does know the difference between mycellium and cobweb. Are you SURE that he does?

If he is new to growing he may not but if he isn't then I am sure he knows what he is talking about.

Karen

Offlinedr4g0n
sleeps withdragons

Re: Cobweb mold, prevention before detection? [Re: Karen]
    #1411337 - 03/26/03 10:31 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Gary is somewhat new, the first two times he grew successfully, then his firend tried to make a huge casing which totally got contamed with cobweb. Ever since then it seems as if its plaguing his house. He definatly knows what cobweb looks like and he definatly takes safety precautions when making jars and casings. He thinks its a bad omen or something...

--------------------
Talk to my Aol Instant messenger robot, screen name YakSpuiT
http://www.canivour.net/~yakspuit/

OfflineKaren
Pooh-Bah
Female

#1413938 - 03/27/03 08:55 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Ok if you say you know the difference between cobweb and mycellium then I believe you. I just wanted to make sure that you weren't throwing healthy cakes away.

Just one last check for that though. You do know that there are 2 different types of mycellium growth right. There is rhizmorphic that looks almost like tiny little roots growing. You can also get a really fluffy fuzzy type. I can never remember the technical term for that though. Someone help me out here....

Assuming that you know that then I guess it is cobweb and you can just follow everyone elses advice.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags