Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejimmy8
Stranger
Male

Loc: UK Flag
WBS drying out in PC
    #13994313 - 02/20/11 06:12 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Okay, here's the deal. I pour my wbs into a bowl, pour boiling water over it, and let sit for an hour. I do this 3 times or so. After letting the grains drain/dry they are not wet on the outside, but they can easily be broken and have swelled to about twice their size.

I load them into my jars which have a small hole (I punched it in with a screwdriver) covered with micropore tape, and another hole covered with silicone for inoculation.

They aren't touching the bottom of the PC, they're on top of a rack that came with the PC. The lids aren't fully screwed on, but are covered with tin foil. As soon as the rocker starts moving, I slowly turn the heat down until it's very slightly moving, with minimal steam escaping.

After PCing I leave them overnight. I open my PC in the morning to get them out and the jars are bone dry. I don't mean they look dry, I mean I've opened them and the seeds have no moisture in them like, whatsoever. either that or a very small amount have maintained their initial water content. There is still plenty of water left in the PC.

I've tried different lids, different jars, different preparation methods (Docs, to mention the most popular) and yet every time my wbs comes out bone dry and useless.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? The first jar I ever did came out perfect (prepared it as described above) and every one after that has been a failure, whether I used the exact same setup or something completely different.

Thanks for any advice, I really wanted to try and figure this out for myself but I can't think of anything else to try.

Edited by jimmy8 (02/20/11 06:13 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleNMR.Xochipilli
Strangerer
Male User Gallery

Re: WBS drying out in PC [Re: jimmy8]
    #13994404 - 02/20/11 07:26 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

How long are you pc'ing? It only takes and hour and a half unless you have something very big or dense. Everything else you wrote looks standard and good but I think your boil*3 soak method should get scrapped, use an established tek that's been proven(I use Doc's, as you mentioned in your post). Think long term, boiling water 3 times for 1 batch of seed is going to get old if you up your spawn production very much at all. Maybe screw your lids on a little tighter?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: WBS drying out in PC [Re: jimmy8]
    #13994417 - 02/20/11 07:33 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Reduce the stove setting more after pressure is reached.  When steam is escaping from the pressure cooker, it's also escaping from your grain jars.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinejimmy8
Stranger
Male

Loc: UK Flag
Re: WBS drying out in PC [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13994425 - 02/20/11 07:39 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the input. If I lower the heat anymore the rocker stops moving completely and little if any steam escapes at all, is that what I should be doing?

Edited by jimmy8 (02/20/11 07:40 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies