Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offline13.step
cynical bastard
Male

Religulous
    #13984029 - 02/18/11 11:12 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

That movie sucked so much balls it makes homosexuals feel jealous.

It started out alright, I had a bias against Bill Maher after a thread here and I was thinking hey, he's not that bad, this is going to be an awesome movie, he starts with an open mind (the whole "I really don't know" bit) goes makes fun of some hacks that present themselves as religious leaders and then is going to probably explore what faith means and how people look at it around the world.

Major let-down, he just goes and makes fun of people for believing in what the bible says and presents muslims as blood-thirsty barbarians. He doesn't have a single conversation in the entire movie with anybody, he just asks them stuff and waits till they finish so he can talk, sometimes he doesn't even wait. It's basically a movie about how he goes around and tells people they are morons for not being atheists. Pretentious idiot. He should have called it : "Bill Maher: Going around harassing believers of all faiths that I don't have to go out of my way to find with bad jokes"

--------------------
Not to be taken seriously by any means!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
Re: Religulous [Re: 13.step]
    #13984042 - 02/18/11 11:14 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It's definitely an airy, unscholarly type of movie, very low on substance.

I find it a hoot though, if you can put aside the urge to feel sorry for his victims. The guy is a douchebag but it IS funny. There are some masterful cracks in there. And the central thesis of the film - that the craziest of dogmatic fundamentalists are actually trying to hasten the end of the world using religion - does merit alarm.

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

Edited by Tchan909 (02/18/11 11:25 AM)

InvisibleApollyphelion
Dungeon Master/Princess(1009)
Female User Gallery

Loc: Festival of Deaths
Re: Religulous [Re: 13.step] * 1
    #13984111 - 02/18/11 11:28 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

This is the nature of comedy, though.
And anyone who believes the world is 6000 years old
or that there is 46 sluts waitin' for them in heaven
or Lord Xenu
is a comedy goldmine, really, and some of that is silly ass shit.

I like my  comedy dark and unforgiving, though. And Im grateful we can even have a movie like that coming out, Bill Maher would be hanged in some time periods.

--------------------

"I'm looking at you looking at it"

SUBSCRIBE TO MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL PLEASE! www.youtube.com/apollyphelion

Creator of the World's Worst Comic Book

Offline13.step
cynical bastard
Male

Re: Religulous [Re: Apollyphelion]
    #13984162 - 02/18/11 11:38 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It's not that I didn't enjoy it, it had some very funny parts in it (like that one with the senator,"you don't need an IQ test to get into the senate":lmafo:)

It's just that he is a huge idiot, he pushes his belief on the world without even taking a step back and looking at what he is laughing about, and the final bit was just :facepalm:, he basically said atheists unite and shout your message!! Fuck them religious folk we are right! That's how every religion started and it's ironic that he would end the movie in that fashion after bitching about how religion causes violence, so yeah to pretentious and idiotic to oversee it just for the humor.

--------------------

InvisibleSet
candy colored clown
 User Gallery

Loc: right near da beach Flag
    #13984176 - 02/18/11 11:41 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

13.step said:
Major let-down, he just goes and makes fun of people for believing in what the bible says and presents muslims as blood-thirsty barbarians. He doesn't have a single conversation in the entire movie with anybody, he just asks them stuff and waits till they finish so he can talk, sometimes he doesn't even wait. It's basically a movie about how he goes around and tells people they are morons for not being atheists. Pretentious idiot. He should have called it : "Bill Maher: Going around harassing believers of all faiths that I don't have to go out of my way to find with bad jokes"

the fuck did you think it would be?

and I recall conversations in the film

--------------------
    classic LOVELINE

Offline13.step
cynical bastard
Male

Re: Religulous [Re: Set]
    #13984194 - 02/18/11 11:44 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

What he fucking said it would be, a movie where he goes and finds out what faith is about because he really doesn't know, not a movie where he goes around with the premise that it's all bullshit and laughs at people

And buddy if you recall conversations in the film your standards for what conversation means are pretty low.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
    #13984372 - 02/18/11 12:20 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

13.step said:
And buddy if you recall conversations in the film your standards for what conversation means are pretty low.

Did people not talk to each other in that movie or what? What are your standards for what a conversation means?

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Offline13.step
cynical bastard
Male

Re: Religulous [Re: Poid]
    #13984392 - 02/18/11 12:24 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Conversation means communication, like I said, the dude just asked a question, waited for the other to answer, if that (he just interrupted probably half the guys he talked to) and then began ranting about his view. I never heard the other side, I was really interested in what that hollocaust-denying rabbi had to say, he didn't even let the guy finish a sentence...that's not conversation, that's just two people talking beside each other.

--------------------

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13984416 - 02/18/11 12:28 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

13.step said:
Conversation means communication, like I said, the dude just asked a question, waited for the other to answer, if that (he just interrupted probably half the guys he talked to)...

How is that not communication?

Quote:

13.step said:
...and then began ranting about his view. I never heard the other side....

I recall him giving the other side a chance to speak several times, like for example when he was in a church talking to a few guys, one of whom was black. :shrug:

Quote:

13.step said:
I was really interested in what that hollocaust-denying rabbi had to say, he didn't even let the guy finish a sentence...that's not conversation, that's just two people talking beside each other.

That's just one example of him not giving the other side a fair chance to express its views; if two people are talking besides each other, and to each other, then it is a conversation.

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

InvisibleSet
candy colored clown
 User Gallery

#13984449 - 02/18/11 12:33 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

13.step said:

:congrats:

now now don't get all butthurt on us

you googled "mushrooms" some time ago, now google "conversation" :yesnod:

--------------------
    classic LOVELINE

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Religulous [Re: Set]
    #13984465 - 02/18/11 12:36 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

:lol:

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

Offline13.step
cynical bastard
Male

#13984471 - 02/18/11 12:37 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I think when he talked to the black guy in the church it was just at the start, when he was sinking his hooks into the audience...yeah, I guess what he did was conversation...just of the kind that sucked and didn't have any purpose. And the whole Islam thing? That's just fear-tactics, I know plenty of muslims and none tried to kill me for being an infidel...yet...:lol:

@ Set I'm only getting butthurt at you :crankey: now go google youreslf some thread-exit.
And I didn't google mushrooms, mushrooms googled me when they though I was ready. Youth this days...no respect I tell you!

--------------------

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
    #13984478 - 02/18/11 12:38 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

13.step said:
What he fucking said it would be, a movie where he goes and finds out what faith is about because he really doesn't know, not a movie where he goes around with the premise that it's all bullshit and laughs at people

I think the movie was pretty good considering the topic.

You think the movie sucked because all he did was laugh at them? I think that's what the world needed. Religion IS a joke.

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
    #13984486 - 02/18/11 12:39 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

bill mayer is an overrated piece of shit.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Religulous [Re: akira_akuma]
    #13984490 - 02/18/11 12:40 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

13.step said:
I think when he talked to the black guy in the church it was just at the start, when he was sinking his hooks into the audience...yeah, I guess what he did was conversation...just of the kind that sucked and didn't have any purpose. And the whole Islam thing? That's just fear-tactics, I know plenty of muslims and none tried to kill me for being an infidel...yet...:lol:

Well the point of the movie wasn't that all religious people are complete crazies, I think it was just supposed to demonstrate how crazy religion can get, and how crazy/stupid devoutly religious assholes really are.

Quote:

13.step said:
Youth this days...no respect I tell you!

Respect should be earned, not expected. :stoned:

Quote:

akira_akuma said:

Mayer? :lolsy:

It's Maher.

--------------------
fireworks_god said:

InvisibleSet
candy colored clown
 User Gallery

#13984493 - 02/18/11 12:40 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

there ya go

his conversation with Jesus was a gem

Bill Maher is a douche so you'd have to expect some of that to spill into a movie he made.....starring him

--------------------
    classic LOVELINE

Offline13.step
cynical bastard
Male

Re: Religulous [Re: Kada]
    #13984500 - 02/18/11 12:42 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

It's not that easy, religion is a human need, the fact that people believe in all the BS that constitutes most religion is just proof of how strong that need is.

I guess I am just pissed that I was expecting a smart movie and got a borderline funny moronic one. Jackass is more entertaining and is on the same intellectual level.

--------------------

Offlineakira_akuma
Φύσις κρύπτεσθαι ὕψιστος φιλεῖ

Loc: Onypeirophóros
    #13984507 - 02/18/11 12:43 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
Quote:

13.step said:
Youth this days...no respect I tell you!

Quote:

Respect should be earned, not expected. :stoned:

:lolsy:
Quote:

akira_akuma said:

Quote:

Mayer? :lolsy:

It's Maher.

whatever.

InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
Re: Religulous [Re: akira_akuma]
    #13984514 - 02/18/11 12:44 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Also, some people in that movie seriously are begging to be skewered, like the ex-gays.

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

OfflineKada
Asha'man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Buckeye Flag
Re: Religulous [Re: 13.step] * 1
    #13984516 - 02/18/11 12:45 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

When I was researching religion I was equally let down. After that is was easy to laugh along side with him. Religion gives the world false hope and that's what most people cling to. It makes me so sad I have to laugh.

--------------------
~The Cultivators Motherload~

"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert A. Heinlein

"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies.
My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness."-Dalai Lama

Live long and prosper.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom