Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineErravan
Stranger

I love where ambient humidity is frequently <35%. Does this affect how I should prepare my FC?
    #13925623 - 02/08/11 02:30 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Typically, shotgun terrariums require 1/4 inch holes 2 inches apart on all six sides, however, I noticed that my perlite was mostly dry within a week. I was wondering if there were some necessary modifications I would need to do to keep my terrarium nice and moist, or if this was somehow a mistake on my part.

I have been struggling for a little over a year to produce fruits on Pans, but have recently decided to go with B+ so I can just... GROW something!

Help desired!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineProfessorPinHead
Trapped in the Archives....
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: F=G*m_1*m_2/r^2 Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I live where ambient humidity is frequently <35%. Does this affect how I should prepare my FC? [Re: Erravan]
    #13925706 - 02/08/11 03:32 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Edit your post title.

You wrote " I love .....

I think you might have meant to say "I live" ?

It may drop a sliver below that due to dry winters and oil heating where I live.

Open a polyester pillow.

Pull little wads of ployfil through the holes on the terrarium.

This will help increase humidity in the terrarium.

If you do this make sure to fan and mist a little more frequently.

You may even want to put a fan on in the room :shrug:

If this is going to be a consistent issue you also might want to think about running a humidifier in the room.

:2cents:

-prof.

Offline3n1gm4
3N!9M4T!C
 User Gallery

Loc: The Downside of Up
Re: I live where ambient humidity is frequently <35%. Does this affect how I should prepare my FC? [Re: ProfessorPinHead]
    #13926636 - 02/08/11 10:32 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

RR the designer of your FC would advise against a fan I could go find a link pretty easy of him doing exactly that. Using a fan or any type of moving air near or even in the same room will dry out your perlite. He would also say never to plug up any holes the FC is set up to work correctly if you use it correctly. If your perlite dries out you can always pour some water on it with a flower watering jug, or carry it to the shower and hit it with some water for a few seconds.

The best way to keep it moist would be to mist it heavily every few hours on a regular schedule. 30 to 35% room humidity is ok, if it is below 30% you may want to get a humidifier and run it a few hours a couple times a day somewhere in the room but not near the fc.

A quote from RR the designer of the SGFC: This is how it works. Cold air can not hold as much moisture as warm air, therefore the R.H. rises on temperature drop if the total moisture in the air remains the same.

88% is about normal if there's no cakes in the terrarium. Once you get it full and on a misting schedule, you'll see  mid 90s humidity.
RR

Also misting your perlite heavily wont hurt if it is near a moving air source and drying out, but if you have moving air near the SGFC then it will never work right , the air will blow the humidity out of the top holes and dry out your perlite. Keep your FC elevated from the table and away from moving air and the air will travel through the bottom holes collecting the moisture as it moves through like it is supposed to.

And if you have been using the same perlite for a year go get more and start over. Perlite only holds its moisture for a few months, and it is not recommended for re use.

--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/6257/Magic-Mushroom-Dosage-CalculatorLOL when you zoom in to try to read my sig pics you will get lost in the crystal forrest of ghanni!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: I love where ambient humidity is frequently <35%. Does this affect how I should prepare my FC? [Re: Erravan]
    #13926661 - 02/08/11 10:38 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Erravan said:
Typically, shotgun terrariums require 1/4 inch holes 2 inches apart on all six sides, however, I noticed that my perlite was mostly dry within a week. I was wondering if there were some necessary modifications I would need to do to keep my terrarium nice and moist, or if this was somehow a mistake on my part.

Yes.

Since fresh air is the number one pinning trigger, your substrates will dry out.  You MUST mist to make up for this lost moisture, and the overspray from misting your substrates falls on the perlite, re-hydrating it.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offline3n1gm4
3N!9M4T!C
 User Gallery

Re: I love where ambient humidity is frequently <35%. Does this affect how I should prepare my FC? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13926680 - 02/08/11 10:43 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

:whathesaid:

--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/6257/Magic-Mushroom-Dosage-CalculatorLOL when you zoom in to try to read my sig pics you will get lost in the crystal forrest of ghanni!

OfflineProfessorPinHead
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I live where ambient humidity is frequently <35%. Does this affect how I should prepare my FC? [Re: 3n1gm4]
    #13926951 - 02/08/11 11:52 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

3n1gm4 said:
RR the designer of your FC would advise against a fan I could go find a link pretty easy of him doing exactly that.

3n1gm4 said:
I love where ambient humidity is frequently <35%.

The second quote which is the tittle of your thread is the reason why I told you to plug the holes.

RR may advise not to plug holes but he also advises against letting your humidity drop below 35%. 

With a low enough RH you can kiss the moisture inside that chamber good-by if your holes are open. The dry air outside the chamber will literally suck the moisture out of it.

The fan is exactly the reason why you would need to plug the holes with polyfill.

This "hole plugging" would allow you to increase the humidity inside your tub while allowing the " increased FAE " he was referring to.

I live in an area where open holes dry substrates out in the winter. I don't grow with a shotgun terrarium. I grow on bulk substrates. However, if I did use a shotgun terrarium in my oil heated house, in an already cold-dry climate where my knuckles crack from the low RH I would be plugging my holes with a box fan in the room on low. Keep in my there is more than one way to skin a cat. 

Environmental conditions very so you tell me. Why wouldn't a FC chamber follow the same trend?

This completely constructive Errivan so don't take offense.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: I live where ambient humidity is frequently <35%. Does this affect how I should prepare my FC? [Re: ProfessorPinHead]
    #13927289 - 02/08/11 01:07 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

ProfessorPinHead said:

RR may advise not to plug holes but he also advises against letting your humidity drop below 35%. 

With a low enough RH you can kiss the moisture inside that chamber good-by if your holes are open. The dry air outside the chamber will literally suck the moisture out of it.

The fan is exactly the reason why you would need to plug the holes with polyfill.

This "hole plugging" would allow you to increase the humidity inside your tub while allowing the " increased FAE " he was referring to.

I live in an area where open holes dry substrates out in the winter. I don't grow with a shotgun terrarium. I grow on bulk substrates. However, if I did use a shotgun terrarium in my oil heated house, in an already cold-dry climate where my knuckles crack from the low RH I would be plugging my holes with a box fan in the room on low. Keep in my there is more than one way to skin a cat. 

No, you don't plug holes so you can run a fan in the room against recommendations. When I say it's best not to let the humidity drop below 35%, that's referring to ambient humidity. For those of us who live in extremely dry winter climates, it's important to run a humidifier indoors during winter.

Fresh air exchange is the number one pinning trigger, and the shotgun terrarium is designed to operate on ambient currents within a room, not on a fan induced windstorm.  Plugging holes stops this natural process and lowers humidity.  Run a humidifier in the winter indoors, and mist as required to replace lost moisture.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offline3n1gm4
3N!9M4T!C
 User Gallery

Re: I live where ambient humidity is frequently <35%. Does this affect how I should prepare my FC? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13927314 - 02/08/11 01:12 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

:whathesaid:

--------------------

OfflineErravan
Stranger

Re: I live where ambient humidity is frequently <35%. Does this affect how I should prepare my FC? [Re: 3n1gm4]
    #13927361 - 02/08/11 01:26 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

RogerRabbit and ProfessorPinhead in my thread!? *starstruck*

Ok, I'm just going to go for cakes this time around. No more casing until I actually have a fruitbody in my hand. I figured I could start off growing Azures (ROFL), then worked down to Pans... Ah, the arrogance of youth! If I can't grow a mushroom, no way I make it out at Oaksterdam University this fall! Roger, I will be sure to follow your video series to precise specifications, and make a sweet grow log to boot.

OfflineProfessorPinHead
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I live where ambient humidity is frequently <35%. Does this affect how I should prepare my FC? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13927446 - 02/08/11 01:43 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Run a humidifier in the winter indoors, and mist as required to replace lost moisture.
RR

I guess I will leave the shotgun questions to others who are authorities in that department. lol :smile:

I'll stick with the Bulk Sub Q's as that is more my area of expertise. 

To be honest, I've only grown cakes 1 time ....  My bad ....... :shrug:

I use monos for fruiting which are plugged/unplugged throughout the fruiting process.......

I live in a huge farm house built in the 1880's in upper New England. Judging by the cracking of my knuckles and the dry patches of skin I've had lately I'd say your more than right... I should invest in a humidifier. I just always forget to buy one when I'm out. This is my first winter in the old house.... I had forgotten how dry the oil heat can be.

-prof.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #13927912 - 02/08/11 03:03 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

We use a wood stove here, which is even dryer.  I just set a pan of water on top of the stove, which boils for humidity.  When the temps drop below 0F, which is most of the winter, I also run a vicks 420.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineProfessorPinHead
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #13928230 - 02/08/11 03:45 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Well after today I think I'll remember to grab a humidifier while I'm out. Thanks for the constructive input as usual.

-prof.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract