Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
What is a temple and/or household shrine and what is contained in it? Your thoughts.
    #13827253 - 01/21/11 04:51 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Basically my understanding of a temple is that it is a sanctuary from the world. The world is full of chaos, chaotic advertisements, discordant music, noise pollution, loud people, emotionally unstable people, problems, yelling, stuff to clean up, trash, litter, and flashing colors, and lots of random people doing random things.

For someone who tuned into all that stuff it can cause people to get a bit flustered. I think this is why some people have headphones on... to tune out the chaos.

And so a temple as a refuge from the world would maybe consist of a number of components. Possibly some aromatherapy if one is inclined to that sort of thing... some sort of scent.

Also it would consist of the option of putting on peaceful meditative music.

Maybe some statued or other figures that are on a table with a white cloth(altar).

It could consist of certain pictures. And it could have some prayer and/or mantra beads. It could have a place to sit and it could have a pillow for ones feet.

To mean the main function of a temple is to create a area of peace and calm. Maybe what I was describing would be more accurate to call a household shrine though.

So what are your thoughts on components of temples and/or household shrines?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: What is a temple and/or household shrine and what is contained in it? Your thoughts. [Re: lines]
    #13827262 - 01/21/11 04:53 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Example of pillow being used for feet

name of painting: Circe
artist: John William Waterhouse

Edited by lines (01/21/11 04:56 PM)

Invisiblec0sm0nautt
Male User Gallery
Loc: The Astral Realm
Re: What is a temple and/or household shrine and what is contained in it? Your thoughts. [Re: lines]
    #13827265 - 01/21/11 04:54 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I think shrines are supposed to have external objects which symbolize internal processes. The picture of the guru a symbol of devotion, the prayer beads an aid in mantra, etc etc.

I agree with you that the temple/church is supposed to act as a place of sanctuary, but nowadays they seem more like social nodes than anything esle.

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
Re: What is a temple and/or household shrine and what is contained in it? Your thoughts. [Re: c0sm0nautt] * 1
    #13827790 - 01/21/11 06:56 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

here's my (dusty) altar:

having an altar is great... or really having any space dedicated solely to meditation and inner work. everytime i sit down in front of mine, my mind automatically goes into meditation just from the familiarity.

they also act as great means to express love towards one's path/guru/truth/etc - very beautiful expressions, and it's always a pleasure to get new flowers etc, spiff it up

--------------------

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: What is a temple and/or household shrine and what is contained in it? Your thoughts. [Re: deff]
    #13827843 - 01/21/11 07:06 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

deff said:
dedicated solely to meditation and inner work.

neat altar

can you elaborate on what you mean by inner work?

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #13827942 - 01/21/11 07:27 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

prayer, mantra, visualizations, aspirations, rituals, etc

anything that doesn't depend on engaging with (outer) sense phenomena i guess

also cultivating inner qualities like love, compassion, equanimity etc. - usually through various meditations

--------------------

InvisibledeCypher
 User Gallery

Re: What is a temple and/or household shrine and what is contained in it? Your thoughts. [Re: deff]
    #13827986 - 01/21/11 07:35 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Behold, the temple of Mammon!

--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: What is a temple and/or household shrine and what is contained in it? Your thoughts. [Re: lines] * 1
    #13835015 - 01/23/11 12:28 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Why just one? Every space needs a focal point. This is a matter of creativity. There is no right or wrong in the projection of one's inner symbols to the outer world. The outer can then feed back to the inner, in order to remind one of the cosmic perspective in every seemingly mundane moment. In Reality, every moment, every mind-moment, is profoundly sacred! I can't squeeze it all into a symbol or two. Can you?

Vajrayana-Jewish Christian Entheogenic Gnosticism-Alchemy

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#13835050 - 01/23/11 12:36 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Nice!

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: What is a temple and/or household shrine and what is contained in it? Your thoughts. [Re: deCypher] * 1
    #13835058 - 01/23/11 12:37 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

:lol: Right on!

--------------------

InvisibleChronic7
    #13835587 - 01/23/11 05:18 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Cool pics Markos & Deff, apart from the numerous Buddhas scattered around my flat, and apart from consciousness itself, this is the closest thing i have to a temple, although in total i've only read about 7 of these books, i find less is more when it comes to Advaita :wink:
The pictures not as clear as the one of your bookshelf you posted a while back Markos but im sure you can pick out some familiar ones in there...

Cool soxhlet btw!

My favorite of the Buddhas, Mr Shunya Mudra...

:peace:

--------------------

Edited by Chronic7 (01/23/11 07:34 AM)

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: What is a temple and/or household shrine and what is contained in it? Your thoughts. [Re: Chronic7]
    #13836758 - 01/23/11 01:15 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

This one is my favorite:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

Invisibler72rock
Maybe so. Maybe not.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Chicago Flag
Re: What is a temple and/or household shrine and what is contained in it? Your thoughts. [Re: Poid]
    #13837331 - 01/23/11 03:01 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I love seeing how people create shrines. :smile:
Minus all of the crap I have from wall to wall, this is a nice little place where I like to meditate and philosophise. The little running water fountain that I have gives off a very nice going with the flow feeling

For me, it's a place that I take refuge. Not really just in a physical sense, but mostly in a mental and spiritual sense. I can just sit down, and tap back into a quiet space where I feel like I do real work, and focus on impermanence, self, and compassion. It's a small space I have, but I feel it's all I need to do what I do.  :psychsplit:

There's a chair propped up in front of it that I sit on, but that's what the camera's sitting on. :tongue:

--------------------
Current favorite candy: Peanut Butter Kisses

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Re: What is a temple and/or household shrine and what is contained in it? Your thoughts. [Re: Chronic7]
    #13837607 - 01/23/11 03:58 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

The Chronic said:
Cool pics Markos & Deff, apart from the numerous Buddhas scattered around my flat, and apart from consciousness itself, this is the closest thing i have to a temple, although in total i've only read about 7 of these books, i find less is more when it comes to Advaita :wink:
The pictures not as clear as the one of your bookshelf you posted a while back Markos but im sure you can pick out some familiar ones in there...

Cool soxhlet btw!

My favorite of the Buddhas, Mr Shunya Mudra...

:peace:

Thanks. i wanted a Soxhlet even when I was in elementary school after seeing a picture in a Time-Life science book that my folks bought me (Perkin's mauve aniline dye being extracted). Nice pile of books! I like the Buddha too, although I'm partial to Tibetan, Nepalese, and Thai forms. My first Buddha, from an aunt, was Japanese, black ceramic, in mudra of meditation.
To the left of the lab pic, is yet another shrine with tiny paper prayer flags, a Buddha in the mudra of fearlessness (abhaya), a Yab-Yum, a kartika, and a bell & dorje, all on a green prayer flag of Amoghasiddhi.

--------------------

Edited by MarkostheGnostic (01/23/11 04:04 PM)

Offlinelines
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: What is a temple and/or household shrine and what is contained in it? Your thoughts. [Re: Poid] * 1
    #13837918 - 01/23/11 04:54 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Poid said:
This one is my favorite:

Where is this picture from? The statue giving people "the finger" really demonstrates what meditating is to a certain extent, it is sort of like telling the world that your just going to forget about it and go into your own inner world.

I do think that it is important for people to be active in the world and do good deeds but there are also times when a person needs to just forget about the world and go within.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
    #13837993 - 01/23/11 05:11 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

lines said:
Quote:

Poid said:
This one is my favorite:

Where is this picture from?

Google Images. :lol:

:google:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#13854881 - 01/26/11 03:46 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Backyard Buddha.

--------------------

InvisibleChronic7
Re: What is a temple and/or household shrine and what is contained in it? Your thoughts. [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #13854893 - 01/26/11 03:49 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

MarkostheGnostic said:
Backyard Buddha.

I could make a tongue in cheek joke about Ram Dass :lol:

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

#13856000 - 01/26/11 07:08 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, couldn't we all?  :drysmash:

--------------------

Offlinerandom_wanderer
Female

Loc: Flag
Re: What is a temple and/or household shrine and what is contained in it? Your thoughts. [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #13858192 - 01/27/11 04:15 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I have a picture of Ramana Maharshi that my friend brought back from arunchala on my living room wall, and one on the tall boy by my bedside table and this mad picture of shiva.  I dont really consider them to be objects of worship, but i find it comforting to look at them when i am sad.

I am not really one for statuettes and things like that, i do have ornaments and keepsakes and things, but i do not see them as objects of worship.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom