Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

Re: Flipping Jars
    #13813 - 04/23/00 04:51 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

I flip mine when the cakes are nearly 100 percent colonized to help the bottom cover faster, or if the growth slows down and I sspect gas buildup in the jars. Until then, just apply the neglect tek other than looking at them once a day to observe any changes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGadget
addict

#13815 - 04/24/00 04:58 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

I untape the holes and flip jars (lid down) once growth is about the size of a quarter, seems to work fine for me.

OfflinePappaKaps
enthusiast
    #13816 - 04/24/00 06:03 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Gadget, would this not easily introduce contams?? Or can the cake fight off contams better at this point?

OfflineGadget
addict

#13817 - 04/25/00 07:44 AM (23 years, 10 months ago)

I too was concerned about contams, it seems that using the 1/2" dry verm layer (MMGG style) keeps contams under control as I have yet to (knock on wood) ever loose a jar to cantams during incubation. I do advise that you keep the lids facing down however for 2 reasons. #1 CO2 can (being heavier than air) can leak out the bottom. #2 contams shoulnd't be "floating" up the holes.

I also advise that you do your very best to put the jars away somewhere and try to forget about them for a month during the incubation period. I will admit I still check my jars once a week or so. :smile:

Anonymous

#13818 - 04/25/00 03:44 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

Pappa,

I would say that the main thing is that the cake shrinks a bit as it is colonized and therefore when you flip them the top vermiculite layer no longer fills the jar up to the brim. It may roll to one end of the jar (shift) exposing bare substrate to the top inside of the jar. during colonization, If the lids are on loose and there is a hole in the lid for gas exchange, then you might introduce contaminated air when you flip. 2 possible workarounds:

1) flip them immediately after innoculation.
(my method and i have found that jars colonize quicker this way {i do not feel elevated co2 will enhance colonization})
2) use filter discs between the jars and lid
so if the vermiculite top layer is compromised, you'll still have a protective barrier.

hope this helps

Anonymous

#13819 - 04/25/00 05:35 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

I've never flipped a colonizing jar and mine all colonize just fine. What would be the purpose of flipping them? Also I never put tape on my jars either the vermiculite layer at the top makes sure no contams get in. Have not lost one jar out of 33 yet!

Anonymous

#13820 - 04/25/00 09:30 PM (23 years, 10 months ago)

mycelium respires aerobically, as people do. therefore they need oxygen and expel carbon dioxide as a waste product. CO2 is also heavier than air, that is, co2 will drain down out of the holes and will be replaced by fresh oxygen. it will speed up colonization noticeably if you flip the jars and leave the lids on loose. In half pint jars, gas exchange just isnt a huge issue. but if youre using pint or quart size jars,
it can mean the difference between a fully colonized jar or slowed/halted growth.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate