Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Loc: NY
Liberalism vs. Conservatism
    #1377388 - 03/15/03 03:11 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

The following article was written by my dear old dad. Please take the time to read it, and post comments. Later I'll post my answer to him.

Wanna know what conservatives really hate? What makes everyone from harmless GOP dittoheads to ultra-right-wing nutjobs full of rage and hiss and homophobia and blind jingoism roll their eyes and throw up their hands and scamper for their Bibles for reassurance that life is still repressed and we're still going to war and Dubya is still smackin' 'round the envurment along with them wimmin and homosekshuls and furriners?

Why, hippie crap, of course. New-age babble about love and peace and godless pagan prayer, organic foods and sustainable trees and chakras, divinity and luscious goddesses and soul paths and upping your personal vibration to counter all the venomous hatred slinging about the culture like some sort of conservative, fearmongering weapon of mass depression. Man, they just hate that.

The incessant drive to war, the blank-eyed young soldiers, the drab oil fields, the terse U.N. debates, Rumsfeld's ink-black eyes, the violence and 9/11 and Osama in hiding, Saddam's sneering and Shrub's smirking and Dick Cheney's defibrillator cranking on
11 -- these events are considered "real," they are tangible and raw and ugly and happening right now and we've got the pictures to prove it, all over the media, grainy and grim and mean, CNN and Fox News and frowning pundits and 100-point newspaper
headlines, so you know it must be true.

Then there's you, walking through your daily life right now, eating and laughing and screwing and paying rent and thinking for yourself, filtering the onslaught and trying to remain connected to something divine and universal and authentic, all while straining to put this national trend toward violence and warmongering into some sort of acceptable frame.

You are not "real" in this same way. This is the feeling. Your experience is somehow irrelevant; what you do and how you maneuver this daily treachery is an insignificant side note to the big ugly daily political machinations because hey, it's war. It's the
Big Boys. Angry White Men with very serious penis issues. All that matters is the machine, and the money, and the oil, and the WMD and the drumbeat rhetoric.

Which is, of course, utter BS. Here is what conservatives hate most: the idea that you really can, and do, make a difference. That you, hopefully working to align yourself with something deeper and more informed and perhaps not exactly Christian, or
corporate, not exactly lockstep mainstream flag-waving
God-fearing asexual consumer drone, you can affect the world, directly, right now, in ways you might not even realize, in ways that make them tremble and wince, in how much you laugh and love and eat and sleep and screw and breathe and in how deeply you
penetrate into the soul's raison d'etre. But you gotta work at it. And it ain't easy. See? Fluffy new-age crap. They really hate that.

Here is the great fallacy of the American ethos, the one that powers SUV purchases and spawns a billion McDonald's franchises and gun purchases and Adam Sandler movies: it is the notion that Americans exist in a freewheelin' vacuum, that our daily choices don't, in fact, affect the world, and our neighbors,
and our children, and the environment and our own bodies.

It is the idea that those very choices -- foods you eat, cars you drive, shows you watch, personal relations you have, waste you create, choices you make -- can't, in a very real and immediate way, erode your divine links, spit on your spiritual spark, taint your
mystical meat. Every single one, every single time.

In other words, in buying that gun, smacking that child, abusing that spouse, screaming at that neighbor, buying that thuggish SUV, supporting that war, wishing death upon all them damn furriners, you may think you're exercising your God-given all-'Murkin right to do/say/drive whatever the hell you want because you're an American goddammit and no one will tell you how to live so back off.

Not quite. Rather, you are also injecting a deliberate dose of bitter bile straight into the cultural bloodstream, actually -- and quite literally -- lowering the general vibration of the human collective cause, casting your vote for small-mindedness and solipsism and violence. Yep, you are. And yes indeed, your vote counts.

Here is the gist: The world consists of energy, billions of swirling masses of it contained in living vessels -- that's you -- and aimed out to the world, often radiating at random, intermingling, interacting, often uncontrolled and unaware, an enormous dizzying gorgeous complex kaleidoscopic organism of human interaction and interplay. We are abuzz. We are electric. We possess actual psychic and electromagnetic force. Duh. It's a fact.

It comes down to simple physics. Negative begets negative. Positivebegets positive. War begets war, peace begets peace, Britney begets Christina begets N'Sync begets People magazine begets "Joe Millionaire" begets 10 million Prozac prescriptions begets a billion dumbed-down mind-sets, embittered souls. In a
nutshell.

ShrubCo blindly steers the nation like a giant careening Hummer toward the history-mauling notion of preemptiveviolence, of attacking anyone who might somehow threaten the U.S. even before such a threat is tangible. He beats the war drum, staffs his
administration with enough hawks to start 1,000 wars, slams the environment, cuts women's rights, etcetera and so on -- this all turns that swirling mass of energy that much more dark, vicious, angry, dumb.

And the world begins to follow. The culture darkens, people run scared, reactionary, depressed. The negative feeds upon itself, the tide turns, you are hit more and more frequently with that overwhelming feeling that we are in dire and ugly and powder-keg
times, worse than ever, emotionally raw, politically appalling, spiritually hollow. Sound familiar?

Whereas notions of peace, individual thought, reason, simple acts of attuned mindfulness, of buying products and foods that sustain the planet, of making really good messy enthusiastic generous love, of regular laughter in the face of scowling Ashcroft or Cheney's corporate henchmen, of reading deeply and recalling wisdom people like the Dalai Lama talk about all the
time -- these things literally up your anima's vibration, add positive energy back in, turn the collective volume back up.

That postcoital buzz? That post-party feel-good vibe? That genuine laughter? That gratuitously kind thing you did for that stranger? That celebration of your body and your sex and love and spirit in spite of mainstream religious puling and finger wagging? That deep meditative solitude? Bingo. That's the vibe you want. That's the vibe we all need. That's the vibration that makes all the difference.

But it's also the one that takes serious work and determination and you gotta do it every single day and it can only come from you. This sort of luminous divine power is messy and raw and hot and attaining more of it can be the most difficult thing you've ever
done. But really, what else is there?

Look. Mystics and healers and sages and scientists and
philosophers across the spiritual spectrum have known it for millennia: More advanced and enlightened souls -- and cultures vibrate at a higher level, a more bright and rigorous pitch. It's true. Bliss and joy and notions of peace and healing and laughter and
personal choice, these things crank up the vibe. War and angst and fear and self-fulfilling prophecies of war and preemptive strikes and Jenna Bush, these things slam it down.

So then. You want to really annoy the conservative warmongering powers that be? Work your ass off to pump up the vibration. It's deeply personal. It's hard work. It means revaluating what you do and how you do it and how you treat others, the planet, what you buy and what you eat. It means learning. And it also means loving harder, more raw and real, minimal BS, minimal waste, figuring out true messy ugly slippery gorgeous divinity for yourself, on your own terms, and then sharing it with the world.

Man, they really hate that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleadrug

Re: Liberalism vs. Conservatism [Re: puscle]
    #1377433 - 03/15/03 03:58 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

That was a great commentary. Your dad is a funny guy! :smirk: I totally agree. I try to do something nice every day, even if its just a smile at a random person I cross paths with during the day or sitting down with my daughter and reading her favorite books. Its things like this that really make the world a better place.

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1377468 - 03/15/03 04:30 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Goddamn hippie crap!  :wink:

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
    #1377481 - 03/15/03 04:37 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

I wish my dad was like that. He's one of the Christians saying "nuke em all"........

There is much truth in what your dad wrote.....way too much.....

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Re: Liberalism vs. Conservatism [Re: upupup]
    #1377522 - 03/15/03 05:11 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Here's what I wrote back to him.

As your arguments are based on assumption they become inane.

What look in our young soldiers eyes would you prefer?

Sorry, I'm not going to the mall dressed in black.

Offlineupupup
guardian

Loc: George "I love Hitler" Bu...
    #1377537 - 03/15/03 05:18 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

I am amazingly thick and you may have had some kind of inside joke in this with your dad but I have no idea what you were saying by replying as such?

--------------------
Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1377686 - 03/15/03 06:34 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Sorry but your dad is a chump.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Re: Liberalism vs. Conservatism [Re: upupup]
    #1377688 - 03/15/03 06:34 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

No joke here. His opening statement was based on assumption. It goes downhill from there. Name-calling and stereotyping.

Quote:

The incessant drive to war, the blank-eyed young soldiers,

And what is this all about? What facial expressions would make liberals happier?

Around here, pacificists are dressing in black and going to shopping malls as a form of protest. I had assumed this was a grander effort.

Now for the good news. I love my father dearly and would be hard pressed to have a greater man as a father.

He is a retired Presbyterian minister. Well, not quite retired as I'm sure you've surmised.

Edited by puscle (03/15/03 06:38 AM)

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

#1377990 - 03/15/03 08:55 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Watch the sex machine spin doctor at work as he blows smoke up even his own ass!

Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Here and there
    #1378091 - 03/15/03 09:53 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

"I'm trying to make the best out of a bad situation. I don't need to hear crap from a bunch of hippie freaks living in denial! Screw you guys, I'm going home."

E. Cartman  :smirk: 

--------------------
<~>Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake <~>

Invisiblepuscle
genius of love
Re: Liberalism vs. Conservatism [Re: grib]
    #1378576 - 03/15/03 02:20 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

I'd like to post some of the reactions to my dad's missive recieved via email.

I have to agree with Gustav, these arguments are inane,
and spoken like a true liberal.

This is a load of pure bullshit. Where was all this anger and angst when Clinton bombed and then invaded Kosovo? Where were all of the protesters and Hollywood fools then? He didn't bother to go to the UN and get their approval and by the way, the French opposed that war also. We were supposed to be out of there in one year. Hypocrisy abounds. Don't believe it? Read the two articles enclosed.

I used to be a screaming left-wing nut case, as did a majority of people this hate-filled rant (or is this what you call "tolerance"?) calls today's conservative. The difference between conservatives and liberals is that most conservatives used to be liberals, but most liberals are not former conservatives. There is a reason for that. Winston Churchill said it best (paraphrased). "If you are 20 years old and you are not a liberal, there is something wrong with your heart and if you are 40 years old and you are not a conservative, there is something wrong with your brain." It takes a little courage and knowledge to realize and admit you were wrong when you were 20 years old. Bob Dylan figured it out a long time ago in his song "My Back Pages" (try the Byrds version). Just listen to interviews with the kids attending these protests. They are clueless. So was I thirty plus years ago. Some people just never grow up.

I've more fodder written by men with credentials if your enjoying this.

Edited by puscle (03/15/03 02:22 PM)

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1380016 - 03/16/03 05:23 AM (21 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

Where was all this anger and angst when Clinton bombed and then invaded Kosovo?

I can assure you it was right here with me.

Quote:

The difference between conservatives and liberals is that most conservatives used to be liberals, but most liberals are not former conservatives.

Do you any evidence for this? From my experience, I've found that most conservatives were raised conservative, just as most liberals were raised liberal. It's called political socialization. Sure, there are some liberals who become conservative, but there are also some conservatives who become liberal. There are many cases, for example, of Supreme Court Justices on either side of the fence switching over after a while.

--------------------

Edited by silversoul7 (03/16/03 05:31 AM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Liberalism vs. Conservatism [Re: silversoul7]
    #1380019 - 03/16/03 05:25 AM (21 years, 8 days ago)

I'm curious. If it was right there with you, what did you do about it?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Liberalism vs. Conservatism [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1380026 - 03/16/03 05:27 AM (21 years, 8 days ago)

I voiced my opinion. I told people I thought it was wrong. Just like I'm doing today with Bush. I didn't know of any protests going on at that time, but I assure you that if I did, I would have been there. Just cuz I'm a liberal doesn't mean I'm going to put up with a liberal warmonger any more than I will a conservative one.

--------------------

Edited by silversoul7 (03/16/03 05:33 AM)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Liberalism vs. Conservatism [Re: silversoul7]
    #1380479 - 03/16/03 08:00 AM (21 years, 8 days ago)

That makes you a very rare liberal type indeed then. Sadly most of those bitching about Bush would be silent if Klinton was doing the exact same things.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale