Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleliteratestylish
Stranger
 User Gallery

Using oven bags to fix the problem of rapidly cooling jars
    #13758931 - 01/09/11 05:46 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Many people believe that removing jars from the pressure cooker too soon, and thus allowing rapid cooling, creates a suction of air into the jar (even through the filter). This has the chance of pulling in contaminants with it. Therefore, reading Hips Bulk Tek, wouldn't it make sense to use oven bags around the jars instead of foil? The oven bags would fill with sterilized air during pressure cooking. When the jars are removed from the pressure cooker, any air sucked into the jar from cooling would be sterilized air inside the bag.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebourndead
Down to Earth by Default
 User Gallery

Re: Using oven bags to fix the problem of rapidly cooling jars [Re: literatestylish]
    #13758950 - 01/09/11 05:51 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

It's not rapid cooling that causes the issue you described but rather rapid depressurization.

--------------------
"I don't have a God complex, you've got a simple God"

Invisibleliteratestylish
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Using oven bags to fix the problem of rapidly cooling jars [Re: bourndead]
    #13758954 - 01/09/11 05:52 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

bourndead said:
It's not rapid cooling that causes the issue you described but rather rapid depressurization.

Well in that case, my pressure cooker depressurizes in 10 minutes so no problem there.

Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Using oven bags to fix the problem of rapidly cooling jars [Re: literatestylish]
    #13758972 - 01/09/11 05:55 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I find that leaving my jars in the PC for 6 hours is a good time. The jars are still hot when I take them out but not steamy. If you take them out too soon you will also lose a bit of moisture, at least that's what I have found

--------------------

Invisibleliteratestylish
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Using oven bags to fix the problem of rapidly cooling jars [Re: audiophoenix]
    #13759471 - 01/09/11 07:25 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

audiophoenix said:
I find that leaving my jars in the PC for 6 hours is a good time. The jars are still hot when I take them out but not steamy. If you take them out too soon you will also lose a bit of moisture, at least that's what I have found

How is that physically possible?

Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

#13759496 - 01/09/11 07:29 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

literatestylish said:
Quote:

audiophoenix said:

Jars are full of pressurized steam. If you let them sit the steam will slowly condensate back onto/into the grain. If you take them out too soon the pressure/steam will find ways out. I am not saying it's essential just that I have noticed consistently that once I started leaving my grain in the PC for a bit longer I have moister kernels.

--------------------

Invisibleliteratestylish
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Using oven bags to fix the problem of rapidly cooling jars [Re: audiophoenix]
    #13759569 - 01/09/11 07:41 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

audiophoenix said:
Quote:

literatestylish said:
Quote:

audiophoenix said:

Jars are full of pressurized steam. If you let them sit the steam will slowly condensate back onto/into the grain. If you take them out too soon the pressure/steam will find ways out. I am not saying it's essential just that I have noticed consistently that once I started leaving my grain in the PC for a bit longer I have moister kernels.

Thats the point of the oven bag. Its a seal such as the PC is a seal..

Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

#13759722 - 01/09/11 08:14 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

well I wasn't really disagreeing with you just adding to what bourndead had said :shrug:

--------------------

Offlineafrosheen
9Lives the cat
Male User Gallery

#13759835 - 01/09/11 08:32 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Just be casual with your timing, what's the rush? Do a PC run (or two) the night before and let it sit overnight. In the morning you can drink your coffee and open the PC without worries.

--------------------

Offlineaudiophoenix
Find Peace
Male User Gallery

Re: Using oven bags to fix the problem of rapidly cooling jars [Re: afrosheen]
    #13759851 - 01/09/11 08:34 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

afrosheen said:
Just be casual with your timing, what's the rush? Do a PC run (or two) the night before and let it sit overnight. In the morning you can drink your coffee and open the PC without worries.

Word, I have never benefited from rushing in this hobby.

--------------------

Invisibleliteratestylish
Stranger
 User Gallery

#13759963 - 01/09/11 08:49 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

audiophoenix said:
Quote:

literatestylish said:
Quote:

audiophoenix said:

How is that physically possible?[/quote

Quote:

afrosheen said:

Are we not always to be getting better at this hobby? You can stick with the status quo and I'll continue to make improvements to reduce PC time.

OfflineSheagles
Stranger
 User Gallery

#13760054 - 01/09/11 09:00 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Touché!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #13760230 - 01/09/11 09:28 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The jars won't get sterilized inside an oven bag.  You'd be trying to sterilize with hot air rather than hot steam.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Using oven bags to fix the problem of rapidly cooling jars [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13760624 - 01/09/11 10:28 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Why rush it anyways, let jars naturally cool down in the PC, trying to take it out soon could result in cracked jars, its safer to let them cool down slow in the sealed PC.

As RR said, you need the steam to make contact with the jars

Invisibleliteratestylish
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Using oven bags to fix the problem of rapidly cooling jars [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13760660 - 01/09/11 10:34 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
The jars won't get sterilized inside an oven bag.  You'd be trying to sterilize with hot air rather than hot steam.
RR

Ahh, now THAT would be a problem! Thanks for the info.

Invisibleliteratestylish
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Using oven bags to fix the problem of rapidly cooling jars [Re: Shea25]
    #13760674 - 01/09/11 10:37 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Shea25 said:
Why rush it anyways, let jars naturally cool down in the PC, trying to take it out soon could result in cracked jars, its safer to let them cool down slow in the sealed PC.

As RR said, you need the steam to make contact with the jars

For those of us with PC's that can only fit 2 jars, it would take over a week to get all of your jars done. During that week, contaminants would be getting a head start on the jars that were done first. RR also advises to inoculate ASAP after the jars are done and cooled to prevent this. This is a great hobby but can definitely be frustrating at times!

As far as why I would want to find other methods other than the reasons above? Why not!? Thats how discoveries are made. Think about it.

Edited by literatestylish (01/09/11 11:18 PM)

Offlineafrosheen
9Lives the cat
Male User Gallery

#13760716 - 01/09/11 10:45 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

If your PC can only fit two jars, just how small is it, the size of a coffee thermos? :rofl:

--------------------

OfflineDisgruntled
Male

#13760783 - 01/09/11 10:57 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

i feel his pain as i can only currently PC 6 pint jars at a time,. so i have to PC a whole 12 pack of pint jars to make one monotub,.  is shitty titts,.

personally,. and no, im not advise'n anyone to do this,.. but IME ive always just dumped the pressure off my PC as soon as my time was up, and pulled the jars out with oven gloves,. ive not had a problem yet :shrug: might make my jars slightly drier,. but hasnt botherd them yet,. still colonize in 4-5 days? 6-7 at the slowest

so i can admire what the OP is trying to do,. as when you have 48-96 pint jars you got to PC at a time,. and you can only do 6 of the damned things at a time,.. yes,. it sucks,.

wish i could be as damned lucky to find a nice AA at a thrift shop,. is the next big item on my list,. a huge PC,. maybe two,. am building my flow hood this week :drooling: so that will be titts aswell

Invisibleliteratestylish
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Using oven bags to fix the problem of rapidly cooling jars [Re: Disgruntled]
    #13760909 - 01/09/11 11:19 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Disgruntled said:
i feel his pain as i can only currently PC 6 pint jars at a time,. so i have to PC a whole 12 pack of pint jars to make one monotub,.  is shitty titts,.

personally,. and no, im not advise'n anyone to do this,.. but IME ive always just dumped the pressure off my PC as soon as my time was up, and pulled the jars out with oven gloves,. ive not had a problem yet :shrug: might make my jars slightly drier,. but hasnt botherd them yet,. still colonize in 4-5 days? 6-7 at the slowest

so i can admire what the OP is trying to do,. as when you have 48-96 pint jars you got to PC at a time,. and you can only do 6 of the damned things at a time,.. yes,. it sucks,.

wish i could be as damned lucky to find a nice AA at a thrift shop,. is the next big item on my list,. a huge PC,. maybe two,. am building my flow hood this week :drooling: so that will be titts aswell

I call BS on the cracked glass thing. I've done this so many times and have never had a glass crack. Glass breaks when going from extreme temperatures (ie: 250f to -30f) ... Not from 150f to 85f.

InvisibleShea25
Just some guy
Male

Loc: Westcoast Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #13760941 - 01/09/11 11:24 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

literatestylish said:
Quote:

Disgruntled said:

I call BS on the cracked glass thing. I've done this so many times and have never had a glass crack. Glass breaks when going from extreme temperatures (ie: 250f to -30f) ... Not from 150f to 85f.

I have seen it happen, I got impatient and took a jar out to soon and placed it on my counter then crack, the bottom gave out.

Also it gets hotter then 150F in a PC. A PC operates at 250 °F.

Edited by Shea25 (01/09/11 11:29 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder