Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTold
Artiest

Loc: Rockies
harmful effects of mush?
    #1374356 - 03/14/03 12:44 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

is there any harmful effects to the human body if you ingest mushrooms.? there has to be.?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefjbk47985
Has Been AbsentFor Far Too Long
Re: harmful effects of mush? [Re: Told]
    #1374386 - 03/14/03 01:11 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

possible flashbacks in some indeviduals.
It affects your seratonin somehow i believe but i'm not sure<--- Someone please verify this.

in any case it's not as bad a drug as people would have you think. Just do it sparingly and you will have the best time of your life.

OfflineTold
Artiest

Loc: Rockies
Re: harmful effects of mush? [Re: fjbk47985]
    #1378148 - 03/15/03 10:32 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

i found some,

Psychological dependence
Cross-tolerance -- the need for increasing amounts to feel effects; covers various substances, not just those someone has used
Depression
Anxiety
Increased risk of developing schizophrenia or psychotic episodes
Miscarriages
Birth defects
Fatal liver damage if the wrong mushroom is ingested.
Flashbacks

those are pretty well it. nothing perminant. well not for guys anyways :P.

OfflineCherk
Fashionable
Male User Gallery

Loc: International
    #1378379 - 03/15/03 12:27 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

i found some,

Psychological dependence
Cross-tolerance -- the need for increasing amounts to feel effects; covers various substances, not just those someone has used
Depression
Anxiety
Increased risk of developing schizophrenia or psychotic episodes
Miscarriages
Birth defects
Fatal liver damage if the wrong mushroom is ingested.
Flashbacks

those are pretty well it. nothing perminant. well not for guys anyways :P.

Psychedelics are probably the least addictive substances on earth. You can get a mental addiction to anything, it doesn't even have to be a drug.

Tolerance goes away pretty shortly, I believe within a week.

You cannot develope schizophrenia from shrooms. As people state on these boards all the time, mushrooms may cause schizophrenia to surface. But they certainly don't cause it.

Liver damage from the wrong mushrooms has nothing to do with the danger of psilocybin. Eating the wrong mushroom is caused by stupidity.

Mushrooms can be used with little or no negative effects if the user uses caution.

--------------------
I have considered such matters.

SIKE

InvisibleBigBlackNinja
7hoe7

Loc: CA
Re: harmful effects of mush? [Re: Cherk]
    #1378958 - 03/15/03 05:56 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

how frequent would they have to be used to mess up your brain? if its posible to mess up your brain from mushies

--------------------
"your gunna have a bankroll so big its gunna look like your pockets got the mumps" -the mack

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: harmful effects of mush? [Re: BigBlackNinja]
    #1378978 - 03/15/03 06:06 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Pretty much every single study ever done has shown that psilocybin does not damage the brain,even in massive amounts.However,they is always the danger of psychological after effects-taking mushrooms all the time could fuck you up mentally.Also,people with any serious mental disorders (panic attacks,depression,schizophrenia) probably shouldn't use psychedelics.If an "normal" person takes psychedelics with good preperation and in strict moderation,there will probably be little if any long term negative effects.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

OfflineDilauded
Sensability andrespectability

Loc: Krunkville, FL
    #1379101 - 03/15/03 07:03 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

if you can understand this

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=11962085&dopt=Abstract

Shrooms will hurt you physically and mentally. They'll enlighten you and the same time deplete your body's nutrition.

www.pubmed.org is the best place to find info on drugs that you want to find out the effects to your body.

Search for psilocybin and it'll give you a bunch of articles about their effects etc...

D-X

Edited by Dilauded (03/15/03 07:05 PM)

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: harmful effects of mush? [Re: Dilauded]
    #1379161 - 03/15/03 07:29 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Shrooms will hurt you physically and mentally. They'll enlighten you and the same time deplete your body's nutrition.

WHAT THE FUCK??
Please back up this statement. Oh wait.. you can't because you made it up. Dumbfuck.

OfflineDilauded

Re: harmful effects of mush? [Re: zeta]
    #1379349 - 03/15/03 08:34 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Do you think clear after tripping????(I'm not stressing the mental part a lot but the physical is something else)

Besides that, I lift weights and everytime I'd trip on shrooms I'd come to school the nxt day, goto my weight lifting class only to find that maxing out is very difficult and hurts with sharp twinges. (the body's nutrition is depleted)

ALSO, does not shrooms deplete the serotonin in your brain???? that's a mental and physical attribute.

You always try n say I'm wrong with something and every fucking time I've proved my case relevant. What's your fucking problem? Go fuck yourself, I'm sick of your crap. If there's any true DUMBFUCK it'd be you.

D-X

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#1379412 - 03/15/03 08:57 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Do you think clear after tripping????(I'm not stressing the mental part a lot but the physical is something else)

Yes, clearer than usual
Quote:

Besides that, I lift weights and everytime I'd trip on shrooms I'd come to school the nxt day, goto my weight lifting class only to find that maxing out is very difficult and hurts with sharp twinges.

I and many others experience enhanced physical performance after shrooms
Quote:

(the body's nutrition is depleted)

This doesn't even make sense.
Quote:

ALSO, does not shrooms deplete the serotonin in your brain???? that's a mental and physical attribute.

No. Where do you think you heard this one?
Quote:

You always try n say I'm wrong with something and every fucking time I've proved my case relevant. What's your fucking problem? Go fuck yourself, I'm sick of your crap. If there's any true DUMBFUCK it'd be you.

You think you proved your case? No.
Please stop spreading your bullshit.

InvisibleXlea321
Stranger
    #1379424 - 03/15/03 09:00 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Do you think clear after tripping????(

Perfectly.

ALSO, does not shrooms deplete the serotonin in your brain????

Nope. It hasn't even been shown Ecstasy does this. There are people who have taken E well over 1000 times who have more Serotonin in their brains than people who have never taken it. Serotonin levels vary sharply for many reasons. And mushrooms don't even have the theoretical risk to serotonin levels that E does.

Besides that, I lift weights and everytime I'd trip on shrooms I'd come to school the nxt day, goto my weight lifting class only to find that maxing out is very difficult and hurts with sharp twinges.

I lift weights too. For around 2 weeks after every trip i can put 15-20lbs on all my lifts and run an extra 2-3 miles. Are you tripping at night and missing out on sleep? Are you taking other drugs? Are you laying in uncomfortable positions? Whatever is causing your problems it isn't psilocybin. Psilocybin comes around 400 places lower in the physical toxicity list than aspirin.

--------------------
Don't worry, B. Caapi

OfflineMetaShroom
菌类
 User Gallery

Loc: East Anglia UK
    #1379561 - 03/15/03 11:16 PM (21 years, 9 days ago)

That link to the abstract you posted does not prove "shrooms will hurt you physicaly and mentally" It is a study on rat brain slices which indicates that psilocybin works on some of the same neurons as serotonin. It has nothing to with any long term effects or anything other than the mechanism of the actual trip.

--------------------
:sleepingcow:  :penguinmonkey: :blah:

JOIN MAPS -> www.MAPS.ORG

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #1379719 - 03/16/03 02:02 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

HEre are the eeffects of shrooms on the human consciousness and body and a report on flashbacks.

AS noted in seeral areas of this site, most of this information is available at my website, but most people do not read what is witten there. They onoly like tolook at the pretty pictures.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

PSYCHOACTIVE EFFECTS OF PSILOCYBIAN MUSHROOMS
Symptoms produced by eating fresh hallucinogenic mushrooms begin to occur within 15 to 30 minutes after ingestion (or from 5 to 10 minutes when prepared in the form of tea or soup). Symptoms persist for up to four to six hours after ingestion. In 1960, Clinical effects for psilocybine intoxication in humans was reported as being Hollister et al., 1962):

"0-30 minutes - Slight nausea, giddiness (light-headed), abdominal discomfort, weakness, muscle aches and twitches, shivering, anxiety, restlessness, and a numbness of lips.

30-60 minutes - Visual effects (blurring, brighter colors, sharper outlines, longer after-images, visual patterns with closed eyes). Increased hearing, yawning, sweating, facial flushing. Decreased concentration and attention, slow thinking, feelings of unreality, depersonalization, dreamy state. Inco-ordination, tremulous speech.

60-120 minutes - Increased visual effects (colored patterns and shapes, mostly with eyes closed). Wave-motion of viewed surfaces. Impaired distant perception. Euphoria, increased perception, and a slowed passage of time.

120-240 minutes - Waning and nearly complete resolution of above effects. Returning to normal within 4-12 hours. Other effects often include: Decreased salivation and appetite; uncontrollable laughter; transient sexual feelings and synesthesias (e.g., `seeing' sounds)."

For comparison with the clinical experience described above, the following is an excerpt from one of R. Gordon Wasson's experience with psilocybin mushrooms:

"The mushrooms take effect differently with different persons. For example, some seem to experience only a divine euphoria, which may translate itself into uncontrollable laughter. In my case I experienced hallucinations. What I was seeing was more clearly seen than anything I had seen before. At last I was seeing with the eye of the soul, not through the coarse lenses of my natural eyes. Moreover, what I was seeing was impregnated with weighty meaning: I was awe-struck."

Now about Flashbacks:

TREATMENT FOR PSILOCYBIAN MUSHROOM POISONING
The major dangers associated with psilocybin poisonings are primarily psychological in nature. Anxiety or panic states ("bad trips"), depressive or paranoid reactions, mood changes, disorientation and an inability to distinguish between reality and fantasy may occur.

Recommended treatment for this type of poisoning should always be primarily supportive. Mycologist Dr. Joseph Ammirati of the University of Washington and his colleagues claim that "no specific treatment can be recommended for psilocybin poisoning in humans". Other doctors have "stress[ed] the importance of measures to reduce absorption of the toxins involved". This involves either, e.g., gastric lavage or emesis Lincoff & Mitchell, 1977; Rumack & Saltzman, 1978; Smith, 1978).

Emesis. 15-30 cc of ipecac syrup followed by large amounts of oral liquids (500 cc).

Supportive treatment: i.e. the "talk-down" technique is the preferred method for handling "bad trips". It involves non-moralizing, comforting, personal support from an experienced individual. This is further aided by limiting external stimulation such as intense light or loud sounds and letting the person lie down and perhaps listen to soft music.

Tranquilizers need only be used in extreme situations and are generally not considered to be necessary. Diazepam, 0.1 mg/kg in children, up to 10 mg in adults, may be used to control seizures.

According to Dr. Rick Strassman of the University of New Mexico, anti-psychotics have gone out of favor for the treatment of `bad trips'. Specifically, medicines with anti-cholinergic side effects, such as chlorpromazine, should not be given as these mushrooms can have marked anti-cholinergic effects of their own.

In 1988, Dr. Jansen noted that cases which present medically fall into several groups:

Those who have taken the drug with little knowledge of hallucinogens and in the absence of sensible persons who can take care of them. These are more likely to be adolescents. They may self-present but are more often brought for medical attention by their parents.

Those who fall as a result of impaired balance or muscle weakness and are knocked out or otherwise injured as a result.

Those who are having a `bad trip'. These may involve acute anxiety and panic, depression, paranoid reactions, disorientation and an inability to distinguish between reality and fantasy.

Cases of idiosyncratic physical reactions such as cyanosis.

Those with recurring phenomena after the mushroom effects should have passed, including prolonged psychosis.

When the history is clear and the signs are suggestive of psilocybian intoxication, it is best not to artificially empty the stomach either by emesis with ipecac or by lavage. Treatment shows that emptying the stomach had no effect on the duration or intensity of the experience once psychological manifestations had properly commenced. Dr. Jansen maintains that unless there is a reason to suspect that a more toxic fungus has been ingested, or if the patient is a young child, induced emesis is not necessary, not helpful and may make the situation much worse if the patient is already aggressive and agitated.

Other doctors have also speculated that a lavage is not merited if psilocybian mushrooms have been positively identified as the source of discomfort. It has also been suggested that "gastric intubation can be difficult in these young patients who are often already distressed and not infrequently aggressive. Furthermore the mushrooms may block the standard lavage tubes [used] for drug overdoses."

The inherent danger from the ingestion of wild mushrooms lies not so much in the consumption of an hallucinogenic variety, but rather in the picking and eating of a toxic species which might resemble an hallucinogenic variety.

Dr. Gast?n Guzm?n (and his colleagues wrote that "field and laboratory studies strongly indicate that psychoactive mushroom use as it normally occurs does not constitute a drug abuse problem or a public health hazard" (Guzm?n et al., 1976). In addition, a recent survey conducted among college students in California, suggests that "the low frequency and few negative effects of [hallucinogenic mushroom] use indicate that abuse does not present a social problem, nor is there evidence for predicting the development of a problem" Thompson et al., 1985).

FLASHBACKS
In 1973, Dr. Hall was the Principal Research Officer of the Narcotics Section of the Commonwealth Police Force in Canberra. Dr. Hall had also reported that several drug users had been experiencing recurring `flashbacks' from mushrooms that were similar to `flashbacks' which were associated with LSD consumption.

According to Dr. Karl L. R. Jansen, there is not any firm evidence that mushroom `flashbacks' can occur. Researchers in 1983, have reported that out of 318 specific cases of Psilocybe intoxications occurring in England between l978-l981, 21 patients experienced `flashback phenomena of some form' for up to four months after ingestion", and also mentioned that some of these were the result of drug synergy and polydrug abuse.

"...However, with such a controversial phenomena as `flashbacks', it is necessary to specify precisely what form these do take, so that they may be distinguished from psychological stress reactions wrongly attributed to past drug use." Dr. Hall also pointed out that "if solutions of mushroom extracts were injected intravenously, the results could be very serious." There are no known cases of such injections, and it seems extremely unlikely that anyone would attempt this.

From Magic Mushrooms of Australia and New Zealnd at erowid.org.

mj

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
    #1379722 - 03/16/03 02:07 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

Serotonine occurs naturally in quantity in all psilocybian mushrooms and actually competes and joins together with the serotonine already in your brain to make everything a little more clearer during your experience. It actually adds to your levels and increases them while you are on the shrooms.

After you have shroomed your body is worn down,. Why would you go and lift weights the next day when you need to refurbish your bodies chemistry to its normal levels again.

This makles no sense. ANd to trip and then go to school the next day is not cool either. You need 24 hours after your trip or longer for your body to recuperate from the intense chemical shock to your body and its central nervous system which occurs during your inebriationl.

mj

Edited by mjshroomer (03/16/03 02:11 AM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Re: harmful effects of mush? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1379728 - 03/16/03 02:14 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

HEre is one page of an article posted here somewhere at the shroomery regaerdoing the presence of serotonine in shrooms, there are actually many articles with this information.

Click on image to Enlarge.

mj

OfflineKanibus
Killa KanProductions

Loc: Canada
Re: harmful effects of mush? [Re: mjshroomer]
    #1379874 - 03/16/03 04:07 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

i noticed some effects of mushrooms, after i did shrooms like 5 times in the summer i would occasionally slur my speach for a bout 2 - 3 months after. but i havent done them in a while so im back to normal now.

--------------------
~~~~ CHECK THIS SHIT OUT ~~~~
http://www.geocities.com/magicmushroominfo/
http://www.geocities.com/killakanproductions/
~~~~ CHECK THIS SHIT OUT ~~~~

OfflineRadioActiveSlug
addict

#1379895 - 03/16/03 04:19 AM (21 years, 9 days ago)

i feel depleated after a trip, takes me a day or 2 to get bak up to code

--------------------
"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one getting burned." -Buddha
www.impeach-bush-now.org

OfflineDilauded

#1380111 - 03/16/03 06:07 AM (21 years, 8 days ago)

Ok, smart ass, why don't you go trip every day. Go fry yourself. Shrooms are a drug and if you abuse it enough YOU WILL FUCK YOURSELF to the point where even YOU MIGHT notice it.

As far as the serotonin goes, isn't that what to be able to trip? If you take the same amt of shrooms right after you stop tripping, will you trip just as hard? Something is being used up in the brain and if its not serotonin then what is it?

Quote:

I and many others experience enhanced physical performance after shrooms

Wtf are you talking bout, go work out and try to do that. Go run an 800 the same time as you would've before you tripped. I would say your body is enhanced while on them but that's the drug doin that. I've never felt physically enhanced after tripping. Do you do any sports?? Shrooms throw off all my skills after tripping. I'd have to work my ass off to get back where I wouldn't look bad in meets.

What is it that you do that tripping physically enhances you on??
Do you even play ne sports?

I've got nothing against shrooms but like ALL DRUGS they're bad for you, but they are really fun,
D-X

OfflineDilauded

Re: harmful effects of mush? [Re: Xlea321]
    #1380116 - 03/16/03 06:10 AM (21 years, 8 days ago)

how much do you lift and how much do you weigh?
I didn't know they have lower toxicity than aspirin.
Shrooms do throw off your skills tho, I'm sure of that.

OfflineMightyQuinn
Eskimo
Loc: United States
    #1380460 - 03/16/03 07:56 AM (21 years, 8 days ago)

Yr starting to piss us off here Dilauded.

Just because something is a drug does not give it harmful side effects by default. Not all drug use is automatically drug abuse.

Responsible use of the mushroom is so totally safe for a mentally and physically healthy person...

Part of that responsible use is not thinking of the mushroom as a drug that's going to "fuck you up".

Proper preparation before hand is also going to minimize any of the horrible horrible side effects you describe such as not being able to run 800 meters as quickly... there should be some intentionality to this thing, a little respect... it's not just a pill you pop to see cool shit and get fucked up with.

Maybe the reason you notice these bad effects is that you're a person who classifies the mushrooms as a "drug" in the same category as drugs like cocaine or heroin... maybe you wanna investigate yr motivations in certain categories...

Also we don't really like to see so much rampant hostility towards strangers on a mushroom discussion board... doesn't that seem a little off message to you?

If not... I dunno buddy.

--------------------
everybody's gonna want a dose.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale