Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

Question for anyone who has old Salvia plants
    #1372553 - 03/13/03 10:05 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

Ok, I have a 3 year old Salvia plant that is starting to give me some problems. The lower part of the stem has hardened off and its more like bark now, and it isn't green anymore, more brown. All of the top and new growth is green and normal. Lately some of the top branches and leaves have been drooping and wilting on me for no apparent reason. Is this because water is having a hard time traveling up the old parts of the stem and into the new ones? Maybe Salvia plants aren't meant to get this old and that's why they naturally propagate themselves so they can stay fresh and healthy. Should I take cuttings off the top and throw the old stem and the roots away? Or is there something else going on here?

See the difference between the old growth and new growth. This is my main mother plant and I need to know if its time to lay her to rest.....poor girl...... :confused:       

--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNirvana
ScentlessApprentice

Re: Question for anyone who has old Salvia plants [Re: peruvian spark]
    #1372567 - 03/13/03 10:09 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

Jeez, 3 years is old for a salvia plant according to various online sources. Don't they come back from the dead when you least expect it though?

Before it dies, can you make me a cutting? In exchange I could give you some hawaiian baby woodrose seeds...

Even in a time of tragedy, I'm thinking business...

--------------------
====* I Made My Avatar *====

OfflineschmutzenS
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

Loc: Miss Kitty's Lounge
    #1372778 - 03/13/03 11:27 AM (21 years, 11 days ago)

She doesn't look that old. but yeah, i think it's time to start over.

--------------------

"Blow up your TV, throw away your paper.  Go to the country, build you a home."

Offlineflatalbert
MexicanaJalisco,Stamets, andfractals
Loc: One of those corn states
Re: Question for anyone who has old Salvia plants [Re: schmutzen]
    #1372988 - 03/13/03 12:39 PM (21 years, 11 days ago)

Is it rootbound? That could prevent nutes or moisture from travelling up to the other foliage. It is cool that it is getting woody. Of course, it may signify low humidity.

I take cuttings every 3 weeks. It leads to loads of leaves to dry. That is a mouthful. I grew the seedgrown 'Baca' strain and now have about 50 cuttings.
Cuttings might be wise.
Peace
Flat

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
    #1373282 - 03/13/03 02:44 PM (21 years, 11 days ago)

It is beneficial for plant stems to get lignified (woody). The best plant cell is a dead plant cell - believe it or not. The vascular system of plants consists of dead cells and living cells. The woodiness provides tremendous support and helps support the water column as it travels up the vascular systems. The water may have trouble travelling up to the very top of the plant if it is very very tall or it may be root bound.

None the less take some cuttings, it will premote lateral growth and turn your plant into a nice salvia bush.

Offlinefelixhigh
Scientist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ly
Re: Question for anyone who has old Salvia plants [Re: neuro]
    #1373539 - 03/13/03 04:45 PM (21 years, 11 days ago)

i think your plant would like some more room for it's roots!!!

Anonymous

#1374555 - 03/14/03 02:49 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

#1374647 - 03/14/03 03:25 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm going to give her one more chance and put it in a bigger pot. After checking down into the soil, I found the roots are pretty packed into the pot. ( surprisingly, because it's a pretty big pot! ) I thought I could get away with just keeping the plant compact, but I guess not. If things go well, I'll post back later with an update.  :smile: 

--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

InvisibleKOPELANDIAA
Stranger
Loc: under a pine
    #1374699 - 03/14/03 03:44 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

cool
i sweated a little for this poor plant ! i'm glad that you took the good decision...phew...

Offlinedragonfly
strange daze
    #1375320 - 03/14/03 07:20 AM (21 years, 10 days ago)

with pot plants having a 'rootbound' plant will lead to bad things and even death sometimes. when people want to keep a bonsai plant, they will remove the rootball from the pot and cut the roots down and repot. i forget how often this needs to be done but probably not more than once to twice a year.

Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

Re: Update on old Salvia plant [Re: peruvian spark]
    #1486953 - 04/23/03 05:12 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Unfortunately, even after being put in the bigger pot, the plant ended up dying on me. I think I just cut too much off the last time I trimmed it. Anyways, here's the new generation of cuttings that were taken off the old plant. All the small ones were just brought inside from our propagation greenhouse earlier this week, and the bigger one is one that I rooted several weeks ago. I think from now on, I'm going to circulate my stock of plants more often instead of keeping the same ones for a long time. That way, I'll have more to give away and more to watch grow!
Also, the 2 plants on the right are tobacco and Salvia guaranitica

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds