Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

Fruiting Chamber problems.. help please
    #1361746 - 03/10/03 02:13 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Hey all, a friend of mine has birthed some cakes into his terrarium. The terrarium is a big rubbermaid tub. The tub is clear and the lid is blue with yellow hand-lock type things. I've seen this terrarium in many pictures on the forum. Anyway, he used this tub for storage before making it a terrarium.. anyway, on with the problem.. he needs to know if there is a way to make sure the humidty is ok in there without buying a meter. He is afraid that it might not be air tight because maybe it oculd be warped from use or something.. there is never very much condensation on the inside of the lid.. water does stay on the walls on the inside but he uses a mist bottle on all of the sides of the terrarium every time he opens it to fan.. so does it have to be air tight? is there anyway he can test the humidity without spending money on a meter? BTW, he is using perlite on the bottom for humdification.. one cake has been in there for 5 days.. he's noticed some changes in the cake.. like its getting a little swollen and maybe little nots are coming up but this is his first time so he wants to be sure.. thanks for all the replies.

--------------------
The day you were born, you were born free. That is your privilege.

I forgot to remember.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMESCALATO
hunting.
 User Gallery

Loc: Central Alabama
Re: Fruiting Chamber problems.. help please [Re: pillsbury420]
    #1361769 - 03/10/03 02:29 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The tub is clear and the lid is blue with yellow hand-lock type things

i use the same one but for caseings not cakes and it works just fine for me with perilite on tha bottom

--------------------

OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Loc: Stirrin up the pile!
Re: Fruiting Chamber problems.. help please [Re: MESCALATO]
    #1361797 - 03/10/03 02:52 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Don't be too worried about it..

as long as you have droplets on the sides of the bin, and perlite on the bottom, you are ok.

Minor air leaks are no big deal as long as any air comming in is clean!!! air exchange is a good thing!! but dirty air is bad!!!

--------------------

-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------

Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

Re: Fruiting Chamber problems.. help please [Re: PooPs]
    #1361874 - 03/10/03 03:39 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

sounds like you're on track. If you're using perlite, you probably don't have to mist, but if you're not over doing it I guess there is no harm. In two to three days you should get some signs of something

Edited by cheesenoonions (03/10/03 03:40 AM)

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

Re: Fruiting Chamber problems.. help please [Re: cheesenoonions]
    #1361903 - 03/10/03 03:53 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for all the replies but is there anyway that he can make SURE his humidty is ok without buying a meter? He doesnt want to fuck up his cakes and have to throw them away.. he just wants to be sure.. thanks.

--------------------

I forgot to remember.

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

#1361915 - 03/10/03 03:59 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Hmmmm. I don't know of any, what is your problem with meters? Go and get an analog meter with a calibration screw. Use damp, non- iodized table salt and calibrate that thing. IT's really quite easy. If you are worried about not being able to do all that for these cakes, you're right. These cakes are on their own. How often do you fan? If it's around 2-3 times a day I think you're ok. Breathe, guy. Impatience is your worst enemy. It kills lots of mushies.

Edited by cheesenoonions (03/10/03 04:00 AM)

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #1361932 - 03/10/03 04:07 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

>Impatience is your worst enemy. It kills lots of mushies.

LOL :wink:
You?re right though. 

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

#1361963 - 03/10/03 04:26 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Thanks for the replies. It's not a matter of impatience.. maybe he is just worried because he is a newbie. He has nothing against meters.. but he is broke and doesn't have the money to buy one. His biggest fear is losing the cakes due to low humidity.. How many days untill he should think something is wrong? His oldest cake has been in there since wen. night (approx 5 days). Thanks again for all of the information.

--------------------

I forgot to remember.

Invisiblecheesenoonions
??????????????

#1361977 - 03/10/03 04:37 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

You described your friends cakes as being swollen, his/her cakes will get swollen and start to look pimply. If he/she sees the pimples, he/she has about two days before he/she gets a definate confirmation of good things to come. Analog meters are not expensive. I've seen some good analogs for less than $15. The digital ones are the ones that are expensive, plus they get all messed up. What you are doing should be enough. You can put in a tupperware of damp perlite to sort of "buffer" the humidity in your terrarium. That will protect against serious drops in humidity that can occur for whatever reason. What you are doing is fine, seriously. Keep me posted, I am curious to see how you do.

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

#1361986 - 03/10/03 04:41 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

When i say broke.. i mean.. my friend is BROKE :smile: so $15 is hard to scrounge up.. but.. the cake does look swollen and little mycelium pimples do seem to be coming up.. so i'll tell him to give it a couple of days.. will let you guys know how it comes out.. thanks.. :smile: 

--------------------

I forgot to remember.

Offlinepillsbury420
psychedelicscientist

#1367679 - 03/12/03 01:31 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Just an update all, it's been 7 days.. still newbie worries because he doesn't see mushroom head pins.. but damn are they pimply... wish him luck..  You guys will definatly see pimples when (if) he is a success :smile: 

--------------------

I forgot to remember.

Edited by pillsbury420 (03/12/03 01:32 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix