Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineOddEye

Does voyager probe still takes picture?
    #13610595 - 12/10/10 12:07 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

So Voyager 1 and 2 are close to exiting the solar system. With 1 almost out of it, do they still have instrument that can take pictures? Or is there really nothing that their camera can take picture of? I saw some picture that was earth from like 6 billion m distance that was taken in 1990 but thats it. I'm just so fascinated by space I can't help it.

Also another question is, why do most picture we can see on the internet from moons or other planet have such a small resolution? I dunno I would think they could take better picture than that with today technology. I mean satellite can take pictures of us on earth, so shouldn't we be able to map most planets without too much of hazy atmosphere? Or did we simply didn't do it yet?

--------------------
I'm at the highest peak, still glad the meak is understandin' me
Artillery, thoughts of killin' me is just a fantasy
The man in me is ready for war, like Holyfield-Tyson IV

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineivander
Paragon of Animal
Male

Re: Does voyager probe still takes picture? [Re: OddEye]
    #13611092 - 12/10/10 03:02 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I read somewhere that in 46k years Voyager will pass by first star beyond our sun. Perhaps will get see some photos then.
Even if they did take some shots, there is not much to see beyond inner solar system.
As for the second question. I am wondering that my self. There is only small number of high res pictures on the net.

--------------------
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. - Nietzsche

I've never faked a sarcasm in my life. True story.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #13611154 - 12/10/10 04:15 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

> why do most picture we can see on the internet from moons or other planet have such a small resolution?

Several reasons:

1) It takes a long time to design, build, and test the probes that we send out.  It takes an even longer time for the probes to reach their destination.  What was high quality technology ten (or fourty) years ago when the probe was being designed seems low tech today when the probe finally reaches its destination.

2) The probes have limited power to transmit data.  High resolution images create lots and lots of data.  Lots and lots of data, transmitted at low power, is more likely to become corrupt during transmission.

3) A lot of the data they send back is in channels that are not visually appealing.  The data looks good to scientists viewing graphs, but for the rest of us, it is meaningless.  Again, with limited bandwidth to transmit data, there is a tradeoff between nice looking pictures and nice scientific data.

Probably some other reasons that I am missing, but those are a few of the bigger ones.

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: Does voyager probe still takes picture? [Re: OddEye] * 1
    #13611194 - 12/10/10 04:55 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

There is nothing to take pictures of where they are now. And they would be hard to receive.

Visual images are often not very useful for science. Voyager was packed with instruments,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d6/Voyager_spacecraft_structure.jpg

It makes optical images using a vidicon tube, also used for the Mercury missions,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ed/Vidicon_tube.jpg

It could take images like these,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c8/Jupiter_from_Voyager_1.jpg
and send them back to Earth over an enormous distance. Not that bad for the 70s.

More recent interplanetary spacecraft, Galileo and Cassini, have higher resolution optical instruments and make nice pictures of moons,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5f/Enceladusstripes_cassini.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/Io_highest_resolution_mod.jpg
http://www.syndicate.se/image/space/europa_big.jpg

These spacecraft didn't orbit the moon, they orbit the host planet and/or only fly by. You can only make a high resolution Google Earth like map if you orbit the planet for a long time.

Even if we would send a craft to orbit one of Jupiter or Saturn's moons, we would not try to make a super high resolution map of the surface. Other scientific instruments will drive the design and an optical instrument will be a nice bonus for newspaper pictures.

High resolution images take a lot of bits. It is easy to send lots of bits from the Moon to Earth, but at Jupiter or Saturn it becomes difficult to transfer a few hard drives full of images.

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: Does voyager probe still takes picture? [Re: Annom]
    #13613759 - 12/10/10 04:57 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

simply stunning!

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineOddEye

Re: Does voyager probe still takes picture? [Re: snoot]
    #13615054 - 12/10/10 10:20 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You guys are pretty badass, thanks you.

I would have thought that they would be able to transmit bandwight well into space (even if there is a lot of delay, error correcting is not too much of a problem with good algorithm). I however do now understand that other data are much more important and they are the one who will lead to discovery and better science on earth.

I'm sure it's also very important for the NASA to make sure that the people have interest in their missions. I want to live as long as possible to be able to see what the other planets and understand the physic that made them. I really hope they send probe on all those moons.

It seems the world is infinite, so many planets and almost all of them are different from each other. I've been thinking way too much about science and space lately, I should buy some shroomies soon, I think I will have a great time.

All in all event if humanity sucks at time, I think that we will colonize other planets, I am somewhat convinced. We are going in the right direction.

--------------------

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13616358 - 12/11/10 07:23 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

OddEye said:
I'm sure it's also very important for the NASA to make sure that the people have interest in their missions. I want to live as long as possible to be able to see what the other planets and understand the physic that made them. I really hope they send probe on all those moons.

totally agree, thats a good enough reason for me to keep on living.

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13616915 - 12/11/10 11:17 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

> I would have thought that they would be able to transmit bandwight well into space

A reasonable data link between Earth and a Jupiter orbiting spacecraft is in the order of 10 kbyte/sec.

> I however do now understand that other data are much more important and they are the one who will lead to discovery and better science on earth.

Yes, other data is much more inmportant for science. And optical images use a very large amount of data compared to other science instruments. So it is both expensive and not very relevant for science.

> I'm sure it's also very important for the NASA to make sure that the people have interest in their missions.

Absolutely true and a very good reason to always send some optical imagers on interplanetary missions. The tax payers deserve some pretty pictures in their newspaper.

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13617068 - 12/11/10 12:03 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

> I really hope they send probe on all those moons.

Things don't look good right now for interplanetary missions to the gas giants and their moons. 

Mars Science Laboratory will be launched to Mars and BepiColombo to Mercury in the next five years.  But plans for missions to the moons of Jupiter and Saturn are in the very early stages. See,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_Jupiter_System_Mission
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_Saturn_System_Mission

It generally takes about 10 years for development, then about 6 years to get to Jupiter, 3 years to slow down and orbit a moon. So even if they started right now, we will have to wait till 2030 for first results. 2030 is optimistic right now, as I see it :frown:.

OfflineOddEye

#13621159 - 12/12/10 12:48 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Interesting missions I hope the next Mars rover goes in the polar region, that seems to be the place of interest!

It takes 3 yrs to slow down and orbit a moon? That some long time! I'm gonna be patient, I want those missions to succeed so I am willing to wait :smile:

Also 10kb/sec T_T (well I did manage to play some games online on a connection as slow as that!), probably better to only send a few high res pictures of some great view tho :P Not sure how data heavy are the other things such as particle analysis, but would make sens that taking pictures is among the heaviest data they send.

--------------------

Edited by OddEye (12/12/10 12:51 PM)

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13621212 - 12/12/10 01:02 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

> It takes 3 yrs to slow down and orbit a moon? That some long time!

If you want to do it efficiently, yes. It will then first enter a highly elliptical orbit around the planet and use its moons to slowly change orbit into a more desirable form for injection into its final orbit around a moon. Else you will need a lot of propellant which is very expensive to bring to Jupiter or Saturn.

OfflineOddEye

#13636850 - 12/15/10 12:50 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Voyager just passed the termination shock!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/12/101213155312.htm

Another question! Can anyone explain me why the heliosheath isn't round in that drawing? Is it just because the outer space material come stronger in some direction making it smaller?

--------------------

Edited by OddEye (12/15/10 01:01 PM)

InvisibleBacchus
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ::1
    #13637021 - 12/15/10 01:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The assumption for a long time has been that the heliosphere gets stretched out and shaped like a comet due to the solar system's motion through interstellar dust. Turns out, though, that it might actually be much more spherical, because the interstellar magnetic field slips around our little bubble.

http://www.universetoday.com/45646/cassiniibex-data-changes-view-of-heliosphere-shape/

--------------------

Living on a no-Flash diet is way easier than you think. Give it a shot.

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Does voyager probe still takes picture? [Re: Bacchus]
    #13638340 - 12/15/10 06:15 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Interstellar dust sounds like a great name for a techno song

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order