Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSirNoseDvoidoFungi
Stranger

Loc: Oregon Flag
U.S. to Host World Press Freedom Day in 2011
    #13598430 - 12/07/10 09:05 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2010/12/152465.htm

Hey, at least our government has a sense of humor.

Because this is clearly a big fucking joke.  They have the audacity to announce this while Julian Assange is in custody for trying to expose the "determination of some governments to censor and silence individuals, and to restrict the free flow of information" (from the site).  Blows my mind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEdgeChaos
Still a stranger

Re: U.S. to Host World Press Freedom Day in 2011 [Re: SirNoseDvoidoFungi]
    #13598623 - 12/07/10 09:34 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'm in this thread.

OfflineThe Vapor
Lost In A Tea Daze

Loc: Misty Mountains, B.C. Flag
Re: U.S. to Host World Press Freedom Day in 2011 [Re: EdgeChaos]
    #13598709 - 12/07/10 09:47 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah this is a fucking joke....

:huxleyfacepalm:

--------------------

InvisibleDieCommie

Re: U.S. to Host World Press Freedom Day in 2011 [Re: SirNoseDvoidoFungi]
    #13598751 - 12/07/10 09:53 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SirNoseDvoidoFungi said:
Because this is clearly a big fucking joke.  They have the audacity to announce this while Julian Assange is in custody for trying to expose the "determination of some governments to censor and silence individuals, and to restrict the free flow of information" (from the site).  Blows my mind.

Assange under arrest in Britain for alleged sex crimes in Sweden isn't relevant to American press freedom at all.  America has a very high level of press freedom, this is just one of the many things that makes america great.

OfflineMr.Pink
has the bag of diamonds
Female User Gallery

Loc: TL - DR
Re: U.S. to Host World Press Freedom Day in 2011 [Re: DieCommie]
    #13598973 - 12/07/10 10:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DieCommie said:
America has a very high level of press freedom, this is just one of the many things that makes america great.

lmao

--------------------
How did you get out? I shot my way out... everybody started shooting so I blasted my way out. . . . Tagged a couple of cops. . . . Did you kill anybody? ...a few cops. No real people? ....just cops

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: U.S. to Host World Press Freedom Day in 2011 [Re: Mr.Pink]
    #13599923 - 12/08/10 03:42 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mr.Pink said:
Quote:

DieCommie said:
America has a very high level of press freedom, this is just one of the many things that makes america great.

lmao

Laugh all you like, but what DieCommie said is true.

#1 are Finland, Iceland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, and Switzerland
#7 is Austria
#8 is New Zealand
#9 are Estonia and Ireland
#11 are Denmark, Japan, and Lithuania,
#14 are Belgium, Luxembourg, and Malta
#17 is Germany
#18 is Australia
#19 is the UK
#20 is the United States of America
(Canada is #21)

On the bottom end of the scale:

#169 Rwanda
#170 Yemen
#171 China
#172 Sudan
#173 Syria
#174 Burma
#175 Iran
#176 Turkmenistan
#177 North Korea
#178 Eritrea

Source: Worldwide Freepress Index

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: U.S. to Host World Press Freedom Day in 2011 [Re: Seuss]
    #13600097 - 12/08/10 06:44 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

How the fuck did the UK come in higher than the US when it is a haven for libel suits?

--------------------

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: U.S. to Host World Press Freedom Day in 2011 [Re: zappaisgod]
    #13600217 - 12/08/10 08:02 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

> How the fuck did the UK come in higher than the US when it is a haven for libel suits?

Here is the survey they use to create the index.  But, in answer to your question:
Quote:

Reporters Without Borders is careful to note that the index only deals with press freedom, and does not measure the quality of journalism. Due to the nature of the survey's methodology based on individual perceptions, there are often wide contrasts in a country's ranking from year to year.

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
    #13600293 - 12/08/10 08:31 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mr.Pink said:
Quote:

DieCommie said:

lmao

Fantastic.  Post of the year even.

Why is it that whenever press freedom or 1st amendment rights come up we get these appeals to incredulity in place of any rational argument?

How are you so sure you're correct when you can't put together an argument for your position to save your life?

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
How the fuck did the UK come in higher than the US when it is a haven for libel suits?

Any project like this is going to be difficult and highly values-oriented, but I'd have to agree the US seems like it should be quite a bit higher relative to the countries ranking above it.

I'd be interested in hearing any argument for this positioning from those who support it- unfortunately I've yet to hear anything but bullshit from that crowd.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: U.S. to Host World Press Freedom Day in 2011 [Re: johnm214]
    #13600371 - 12/08/10 08:56 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I'd have to agree the US seems like it should be quite a bit higher relative to the countries ranking above it.

Part of the problem is the wording of the questions.  For example, the following two:
Quote:

During this period, were there (Yes/No):
5. Armed militias or secret organisations regularly targeting journalists?
6. Journalists who had to have bodyguards or use security measures (such wearing
bulletproof jackets or using bulletproof vehicles) in the course of their work?

If a bunch of US reporters are following wars, then they will probably answer yes to the above questions because they are in a war zone, not because of anything that the US does to endanger them.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#13600486 - 12/08/10 09:24 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I believe that stupid cunt Eason Jordan accused US troops in Iraq of deliberately targeting journalists.

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #13600997 - 12/08/10 11:11 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Quote:

I'd have to agree the US seems like it should be quite a bit higher relative to the countries ranking above it.

Part of the problem is the wording of the questions.  For example, the following two:
Quote:

During this period, were there (Yes/No):
5. Armed militias or secret organisations regularly targeting journalists?
6. Journalists who had to have bodyguards or use security measures (such wearing
bulletproof jackets or using bulletproof vehicles) in the course of their work?

If a bunch of US reporters are following wars, then they will probably answer yes to the above questions because they are in a war zone, not because of anything that the US does to endanger them.

Yeah, plainly you are correct.  Either way, I think diecommie is correct and so is zappa: the US should rightly be closer to the top, or at the top, relative to those other countries in regards to first amendment issues or press freedom.

I wonder how the general lack of a US federal press-shield law would factor into an objective analysis?  That's about the only thing I could imagine would justify as a decent criticism of the US on press freedom issues in particular- ignoring the first amendment which I don't think has any particular relevance to press shield laws necessarily, given the other protections the US offers to stymie Nixon-esque abuses.

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
I believe that stupid cunt Eason Jordan accused US troops in Iraq of deliberately targeting journalists.

Did he have any evidence?  Or was this just "well, journalists have died, and they said something, once, unfavorable to someone in the military"-style nonsense?

One thing I think that's particularly relevant to any ranking is the lack of prior restraint and blanket gags in the US law unlike other countries- especially those ranking higher to the US in press freedom.

Besides the stupidity of UK defamation law and its impact on reporting of any type, especially nonprofessionals and advocacy groups, the fact that in the UK they can just decide to stop the presses and gag folks if they don't like what is being said, is a bit indefensible.  Of course their are limitations to this authority, but taken in its totality, I think the whole thing is a stinking sore on English law, and that of the other countries that have similar proposals.

It should be removed and rightly regarded as a national embarasment.

If you add in the rights to self representation, access to the courts, and so forth that the US has going for it, its hard to see how Freedom of Expression, Press Freedom, and 1st Amendment Rights are greater in other countries- to my knowledge (I'd love to be corrected here if I'm in error).

Unfortuantely, all I ever see for a rebutal to this position is those mocking it without argument nor substance, such as Mr. Pink and his cohorts, above.

Would any of you guys who ridicule the US's hosting of this event or otherwise critical of the US in this area relative to other countries care to defend your position?  Excuse me for presuming you have no idea what you're talking about, but in the past, this seems to be a uniform charecteristic of those advancing your opinions.  Prove me wrong, please.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#13601231 - 12/08/10 11:54 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

No.  He had nothing and resigned over it.

--------------------

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ASE Flag
    #13602009 - 12/08/10 02:28 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

The press in the US can say whatever they want as long as they work for Fox

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: U.S. to Host World Press Freedom Day in 2011 [Re: anarchOi]
    #13602079 - 12/08/10 02:41 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

anarchOi said:

Bullshit.

--------------------

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

#13602091 - 12/08/10 02:44 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

anarchOi said:

Bullshit.

Obviously.

--------------------

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #13602239 - 12/08/10 03:15 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

anarchOi said:

What does this mean?  That Fox is given some immunity or special consideration not granted others similarly situated in the US?

What evidence do you have for this position?

Once again, I'd like to invite all those with an opinion on this matter that the US's hosting Press Freedom Day is a farce or that US free speech/press freedom is poor, to make some argument supporting this position.  Given the number of people in this very thread who've made this claim, I should think someone would have some justification for their beleifs.

So far, it seems not- just fallacy and nonsense, and yet they are the one's purporting to ridicule.

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

#13602810 - 12/08/10 05:16 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Well I was mostly making a joke but...

I was under the impression that everyone realized that Fox selectively airs articles to suit their own agenda. IE: Bush Vs. Gore - obama ass kissing - etc

I understand that doesn't really reflect freedom of speech but rather a freedom of information.
America ONLY ever talks about America on the news

----

With TSA scandal going down and anyone who speaks against the body scanners being auto-labeled a "domestic extremist" - I would say this reflects a decline in freedom of speech.

Why is there a Freedom of Press day anyway? What exactly does it mean? It's sort of confusing... If we have such a free press I wouldn't think we'd need a special day to clear our minds.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #13602990 - 12/08/10 05:52 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

> I was under the impression that everyone realized that Fox selectively airs articles to suit their own agenda.

As do all the media outlets in America.  They have freedom to report as they wish.  They are not obligated to report government propaganda nor are they restricted from publishing things the state would find embarrassing. With few limitations, it is illegal for the US government to restrict what the media can report.

> America ONLY ever talks about America on the news

That claim is flat out false.  Top story on the NYTimes is "China Resisted U.S. Pressure on Rights of Nobel Winner".

> With TSA scandal going down and anyone who speaks against the body scanners being auto-labeled a "domestic extremist" - I would say this reflects a decline in freedom of speech.

Speaking out against body scanners does not automatically label you a "domestic extremist".  Regardless, we are talking about freedom of the press, not freedom of speech.

> Why is there a Freedom of Press day anyway?

Because most countries in the world do not have freedom of the press.  Their governments control what the media is allowed to tell the people.

> It's sort of confusing... If we have such a free press I wouldn't think we'd need a special day to clear our minds.

The world is a lot bigger than just America.  Notice that it isn't just "free press day" but "World Press Freedom Day".  World, not America.

--------------------

OfflineanarchOi
Ellenalien is fat.
Male User Gallery

#13603013 - 12/08/10 05:57 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> It's sort of confusing... If we have such a free press I wouldn't think we'd need a special day to clear our minds.

The world is a lot bigger than just America.  Notice that it isn't just "free press day" but "World Press Freedom Day".  World, not America.

So basically it's kind of a "Haha, we can say what we want but youuuu guys can't!"

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order