Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMr Mycoman
Myconut
 User Gallery

Loc: Bat Cave
Mycelium in 3-5 days, challenge met, moving on to coir/poo using the same myc * 1
    #13567568 - 12/01/10 11:48 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

3 DAY MYCELIUM TEK ON PAGE 6

COIR TEK IS ON PAGE 8

PASTEURIZING TEK ON PAGE 8

MASON JAR GE TEK ON PAGE 1

Using the 3 day starch method for growing your mycelium on the starches on the outside of the grain in order to get it to grow out much faster than normal, in as few as 3 days. Anybody can do it, just follow the tek on page 6 of this thread.

If you have been keeping up with this thread, http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13567636/vc/1#13567636
you know what this is about. I made a statement that my rye jars colonize in 3-5 days when conditions are right, well, I was challenged to do just that, and keep a log with pics while doing so.

One thing I will say is that all grows are different and because of that not all my grows are that fast, but the average time to full colonization(fully covered grains, not consolidated, and not necessarily more than a light covering)is about 4-5 days with some jars as fast as 3 days. I am hoping to get some colonize d in as fast as 3 days, but no promises.

In order to grow this as fast as I can I will not be prep ing my grain like I normally do these days, instead I am going to do it in a way that I believe promotes the fastest growing myc. The grain will be slightly wetter than normal and thus, a little harder to shake.

I believe that slightly sticky grain allows minute pieces of myc to stick to each grain during the initial shake, which is very thorough. I shake the jars in a way that allows the grain to rotate around the inside of the jar, not just back and forth.

I'm doing one case of jars. I didn't rinse the grain this time( Normally I do but for this experiment I want some of the starches to be on the outside of the grain), I just soaked it over night, about 18-20 hours. Now I am cooking it for 45 minutes and will do a very light rinse, but not enough to get rid of all the starches. I am doing a second case and it will be the same except that it was not soaked and instead I will cook it for 1 hour. I decided to do a second case today, which is the reason I didn't soak the grain.

Again, this is how I used to do my grain before I came upon this board. These days my grain is a little dryer and easier to shake. The old method, while promoting fast colonization, does not promote optimal grain characteristics so I don't do it that way anymore.

I'm sure many people will disagree about one thing or another, so this is just my opinion based on years of experience. I'm not saying to do it my way, I'm just trying to back up my claim, which is what I achieve about 3 outta 4 grows. If this grow doesn't do it in 4 days I will just try it again, eventually it will work. I do have a couple things working against me this time. I will be using spawn that is not optimal due to this is what I have right now so I am going to use it. Number two is the weather is cold right now so my shop is cold too. I use a space heater so the temps are in the 60s. I will be doing the best I can to get my incubator up around 80 degrees, but we will see. Here we go!!!..........MM

Here are a couple pics of the grain cooking

--------------------
Grow your mycelium in 3 days
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/13567568

Edited by Mr Mycoman (12/08/10 06:14 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMr Mycoman
Myconut
 User Gallery

Re: Mycelium in 3-5 days, challenge [Re: Mr Mycoman] * 1
    #13567660 - 12/01/10 12:03 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Murphy's Law has already stepped in, I ran out of propane during the 45 min simmer so now I have no idea how long it cooked. That's fine though, I can do it by feel just fine........MM

--------------------

Edited by Mr Mycoman (12/01/10 04:10 PM)

InvisibleStillmatic9142
Learner
 User Gallery

Re: Mycilium in 3-5 days, challenge [Re: Mr Mycoman] * 1
    #13567699 - 12/01/10 12:12 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

45 minute simmer?

--------------------
In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists & will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together.

-former President & 5 Star General, Dwight D Eisenhower's farewell address to the Nation

OfflineMr Mycoman
Myconut
 User Gallery

Re: Mycelium in 3-5 days, challenge [Re: Stillmatic9142] * 1
    #13567873 - 12/01/10 01:00 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

That is what I was taught a while back. I still do it now except I rinse it extremely well and I spread it out with a fan on it for an hour or so, until it's dry. I am going to give RR's video method a try. I think he only simmers for a few minutes, if I am remembering correctly. I guess I am looking for a new method, but one that will result in a moisture content somewhere between my current style and RR's video method. I don't like it too dry, but too wet is no good. My current method is fine, it just takes an extra step or two(the fan and the rinse)........MM

I sure hope this experiment works! LOL!

--------------------

Edited by Mr Mycoman (12/01/10 04:11 PM)

OfflineMr Mycoman
Myconut
 User Gallery

#13567911 - 12/01/10 01:07 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

BTW, I don't lie, steal, or cheat. I know this is the internet and there's no way to verify that, but I plan to be a regular on this board so hopefully you will believe my results. I have no reason to cheat so I hope we are all on the same page. Of course, if the results of this deal are over 5 days then you will know I am honest when I post that I was wrong. I guess you won't know for sure If I post right(3-5 days), but like I just said, I don't cheat or lie, and not even on the internet. To the  Bat Cave!........MM

--------------------

InvisibleStillmatic9142
Learner
 User Gallery

#13567969 - 12/01/10 01:19 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Lol, we're all friendly over here at Shroomery. I wish you great luck, but I've never heard of a tek using a 45 minute simmer. I've seen RR state many times that busted kernels are not good. But to each his own. We all have different prep methods, mixtures, fruiting chambers, procedures, etc.. and we all still end up with beautiful mushies :laugh:.

--------------------
In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists & will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes. We should take nothing for granted. Only an alert and knowledgeable citizenry can compel the proper meshing of the huge industrial and military machinery of defense with our peaceful methods and goals so that security and liberty may prosper together.

-former President & 5 Star General, Dwight D Eisenhower's farewell address to the Nation

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Re: Mycilium in 3-5 days, challenge [Re: Stillmatic9142] * 1
    #13568017 - 12/01/10 01:29 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Sweet. Thanks for sharing this.

Can you describe the inoculation procedure? You just drop a big chunk of colonized agar in each jar and shake the hell out of it?

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

OfflinenewshOne
searching

Loc: Hawaii Flag
    #13568055 - 12/01/10 01:38 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Woo hoo i love experiments and challenges!

:super: @ Mrmycoman to putting this together.

Quote:

Mr Mycoman said:

I believe that slightly sticky grain allows minute pieces of myc to stick to each grain during the initial shake, which is very thorough.

I was thinking something along the lines of this also, though I think you are talking about the grain starches that you arent rinsing off...

.. I feel that if there is a small amount of surface moisture on each grain, my jars seem to colonize faster.... but if their is too much then they end up stalling.

--------------------
Dont forget to stop and smell your flowers

Offlinekdmmontana
Male
    #13568582 - 12/01/10 03:03 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

My Pf jars sprang to life in 3 days, inoc:ed from spore syringe made by sporeprint, by myself...

Just add gypsum to the BRF and you will see some wicked results...

OfflineMr Mycoman
Myconut
 User Gallery

Re: Mycilium in 3-5 days, challenge [Re: newshOne] * 1
    #13568608 - 12/01/10 03:09 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Stillmatic, this isn't the method I use now(not entirely anyway). I thought everybody simmered for 45-1 hour, but I guess not. When I started back in the late 80s all I did was put water and grain in a jar and let the PC do the rest. Now that I cook the grain ahead of time everything is so much easier. I had fast colonization times back then, but I shook the jars when they were still hot, again almost cool, and the before inoculation and after inoculation, talk about a hassle!!! Compared to all that a 45 min simmer is a walk in the park.

I definately agree with RR about the kernels, allthough, I am cooking this particular batch until I get some because I want those starches on the outside to promote faster growth on the ext of the kernals.

Anonjon, I will describe the inoculation tomorrow when I do it. I will take pics to. I'm doing this challenge in a mannor that someone will be able to use it as a tek. That's why I am explaining why this particular grow is different from normal, I am focusing ONLY ON HOW TO DO IT FAST, nothing else. To answer your question, yes, but I cut the agar into small chunks = more innoc points.

NewshOne, yup, I agree that a slight amount of moisture AND starch allows the myc to run over each grain faster without having to stop and go inside the grain to get a bite to eat. This way each grain kernel is like the drive through at McDonalds, the myc barely has to stop in order to refresh itself. Too much of either one and you have a mess.

I'll state again, I now use my grain dry, this experiment is for experimental purposes only.

I filled up the jars about 2/3 full since the grain is wetter than usual. This will facilitate the shaking process. Lately I have been filling them almost to the top, but you have to have dry grain if you're gonna shake a full jar.

k,j

--------------------

Invisiblejokefox
Top of the chain
Male User Gallery

Loc: never where I should be
    #13568611 - 12/01/10 03:10 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

why dont you just agar and lc
to grain

Offlineoldmyco
Perma-5 Mushroom Rating
Re: Mycilium in 3-5 days, challenge [Re: jokefox] * 1
    #13568658 - 12/01/10 03:18 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

a way to prove that its 3 - 5 days span of time is to take a photo of the jars in front of something with the date on it. the corner of a newspaper {dont pick a local paper that may compromise the town you are in obviously, just use the date part}

that would be proof.

to be honest i believe you, but it may help others believe it

--------------------
Deal with it

Invisiblejokefox
Top of the chain
Male User Gallery

Re: Mycilium in 3-5 days, challenge [Re: oldmyco] * 1
    #13568674 - 12/01/10 03:20 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

are you talking about mycelium to the naked eye
or if you use a scope , cause if you used a scope you would see
growth in as little as 24hrs

InvisibleFractalXplora
Grainiack
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Mycilium in 3-5 days, challengelol, your [Re: jokefox] * 1
    #13568684 - 12/01/10 03:22 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mycilium in 3-5 days, challenge

start by spelling it right.Mycelium

:curbyourenthusiasm:

--------------------

Invisiblejokefox
Top of the chain
Male User Gallery

Re: Mycilium in 3-5 days, challengelol, your [Re: FractalXplora] * 1
    #13568705 - 12/01/10 03:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

its actually , mycelia , since its not plural

Invisiblebadman
Male User Gallery

Re: Mycilium in 3-5 days, challengelol, your [Re: anonjon] * 2
    #13568711 - 12/01/10 03:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

:lolsy:

English lessons from jokefox.

OfflineMr Mycoman
Myconut
 User Gallery

#13568749 - 12/01/10 03:31 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I also contribute these fast clonization speeds to my large GE ports. I did a lot of experimenting and came up with these results. I tried one 3/4" hole, then 2 and then 3, which is overkill. The lid by my finger is my preferred lid. It is a 1" hole with a 2" filter disc glued to the back of the lid. I didn't actually use glue, when I melted the hole in it I took advantage of the melted plastic and stuck the filter on it while it was hot. To clean them I soak them in water/bleach/dishsoap for a day, then rinse........MM

--------------------

OfflineMr Mycoman
Myconut
 User Gallery

#13568805 - 12/01/10 03:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Jokefox, I am content with G2G, it's easy and reliable. I have used Lc but unless you are using a spore syringe for spores it seems to be more trouble than it's worth. That's just my experience.

Oldmyco, I have discussed this with a friend in depth and to really prove it I would have to put it IN the jar, otherwise I could just switch out a jar with a previously colonized jar. You guys are just gonna have to believe me, I'm going through a big hassle to do this,(I don't mind) the last thing I'm gonna do is screw it up by cheating.

Joke fox, the definition of fully colonized IN THIS CASE is 99% of the kernels are visibly covered with myc, even if it is a light covering................MM

--------------------

Offlinefungus_tao
Hah Zah!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #13568831 - 12/01/10 03:47 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Mr Mycoman said:
Jokefox, I am content with G2G, it's easy and reliable.

Wait...are you going to inoculate by g2g method? If so 3-5 days is pretty normal. If you're starting from spores then it would be impressive.

--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

OfflineMr Mycoman
Myconut
 User Gallery

#13568870 - 12/01/10 03:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I have found that a rag on top of my AA 930 really helps it manage the water better. My other smaller PCs don't have a problem, but this larger pc goes through the water very fast, 90 minutes was the max I could do jars in the past. The rag solved that. The pressure plug has never popped and air does come out under the rag if the steam gets too hot

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract