Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Finding cheap Windows 7 64 software. Educational discounts. Any source cheaper than $60?
    #13545204 - 11/26/10 06:56 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Hi folks.  I'm trying to get a copy of Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit operating system- (retail, OEM, Professional, Ultimate, Home, don't care).

The problem is that the cheapest source I can find, even with a student discount, is $60 or $70.  This blows ass and is way more than it used to be for students, I believe.

Does anyone know how to get it cheaper?  Does Microsoft run specials offering cheaper prices? I have student credentials if needed.  I'd like a legit copy, but may pirate the sucker if this doesn't change.

My campus bookstore has a website allowing me to log in, but the cheapest they offer for the software for students is like $70 (its like 15 for faculty, bastards).

Note:  I found some mention of free downloads of Windows 7 for students in one page of Microsoft's website, but I can't figure out how to actually do it. [ MSDN Academic Alliance  ] It asks you for a username and password, but doesn't allow you to register and doesn't tell you how to get one.  In the school lookup, my school (a large state school) is listed as having particular programs, but only particular academic departments are listed making me wonder if that's the only students who can get the downloads.  That appears to be some unrelated bullshit.

I'd be greatful if anyone could help me get some answers here.  For any students, do you have a cheaper deal?  If so, how do you actually get the damn software?

Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGainer
Syzurp
 User Gallery

Loc: Ðirty §outh
Re: Finding cheap Windows 7 64 software. Educational discounts. Any source cheaper than $60? [Re: johnm214]
    #13545281 - 11/26/10 07:21 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Check with the tech students at your school.  I was able to get win7 pro 64 for free since I'm a computer science major.  Our school has accounts for their linux server for computer science students but any student can get an account.  Then their was a login on the linux servers homepage for free software for computer science students all you need is your login for your linux account.  But I dunno if they do something like that at your school ask a tech student or one of the computer science teachers.  A CS teacher may be better I'm senior and I just figured out this year about all the free software available to us.

--------------------
"I mean, it's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
-Captain Murphy

"Quit being a bitch and pill me up"
-Dr. Quinn

"Smoke that bitch"
"I am not Stormy, I am He who smokes Bitches!"
-Stormy

OfflineHuHEN
I am the Owl
Male User Gallery

Loc: Highlands Flag
Re: Finding cheap Windows 7 64 software. Educational discounts. Any source cheaper than $60? [Re: Gainer] * 1
    #13545331 - 11/26/10 07:35 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Just pirate it. I have a pirated version and it works perfectly.

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: Finding cheap Windows 7 64 software. Educational discounts. Any source cheaper than $60? [Re: johnm214]
    #13545532 - 11/26/10 08:33 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

$60 is cheap, more than $200 off the street price

Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Finding cheap Windows 7 64 software. Educational discounts. Any source cheaper than $60? [Re: HuHEN]
    #13545711 - 11/26/10 09:12 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

are you able to update it?  How difficult is it and what do you do?

I'd appreciate if anyone wouldaddress this who's used pirated windows 7.

I just wonder if its a pain in the ass to stop the thing from trying to "phone home" and whatnot, or if there's prooblems due to not being able to get updates.

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
$60 is cheap, more than $200 off the street price

Perhaps, I just don't think it's a very good student discount.  It used to be like ten bucks or something.  Especially given the prices they're selling new or remanufactured computers for I really can't imagine the OEM versions are going for 100$ bucks or whatever like they want on newegg for it.

Anyone that knows whether Microsoft runs specials and decreases the price/ increases the student discount, let me know. 

I'd also be willing to buy a copy off you if you can get one from your school and don't need it (I am a student, so its probably legal).  Just tell me what you want for your trouble.

I'll try and see what's up, but it seems like only the comp sci/math people have the MSDNAA free software thing.  Hard to figure out exactly though (there's a few more miscellaneous departments mentioned).

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
    #13545747 - 11/26/10 09:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

the OEM versions are licensed in bulk and branded for the machine, you ont
install an HP branded OS in an IBM machine without a lot of fancy
footwork, if I buy 20 million licenses I can probably get them for $10
each but then I'm dealing with an image, not disks and packaging, maybe
you havent noticed but you dont get an OS disk anymore from most manufacturers

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale