Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinemachineelf368
self-transforming

Loc: in the mountains, awaitin...
feedback loop device
    #1350728 - 03/04/03 05:50 PM (21 years, 20 days ago)

I was reading this very imaginitive book called Ecstasy Club by Douglas Rushkoff, and one of the many many intriguing ideas he brings up in the book is this feedback loop device. Now in the book one person dies and several others almost die as a result of this device, but I'm still curious about it.

The idea is that you take a standard biofeedback device that records heart rate, respiration rate, brain waves and the like and visually represent these outputs. You then connect this visual display up to a pair of virtual reality goggles so that you can see nothing else besides this biofeedbak display. If you did all this with significantly reduced environmental stimulation, you have pretty much a pure feedback loop of your internal biological state.

Anyone know what I'm talking about so far? OK, good. Now, has anyone ever tried anything like this? I haven't been able to find any biofeedback machines within my current pricerange or I'd be working on this right now.

And, just because it never hurts to bring John Lilly into a discussion, I wonder (as did some of the characters in this book) what happens if you use this feedback loop device with some ketamine? yummy. anyway, just some thoughts.
-m

--------------------
(the above was deciphered from phi (~1.62) using an advanced alphanumeric conversion algorhythm and should not be perceived as meaningful.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblezeta
Stranger

Re: feedback loop device [Re: machineelf368]
    #1353456 - 03/05/03 09:46 PM (21 years, 19 days ago)

The book is obviously a work of fiction. What makes you think something magical is going to happen?

Offlinemachineelf368
self-transforming

Loc: in the mountains, awaitin...
Re: feedback loop device [Re: zeta]
    #1355277 - 03/06/03 02:58 PM (21 years, 18 days ago)

i don't, at all. but i'm interested in biofeedback, and the idea of reducing environmental stimulation to facilitate a feedback loop greatly intrigues me. The results of the idea in the book are one thing, it's the idea itself that interests me. I'm a huge fan of John C. Lilly, and his experiments with the flotation tank which result in reduced environmental stimulation which facilitates a natural biofeedback loop. This device would essentially amplify that loop with a computer display, pretty much.

How much do you think a pair of googles, VR style, costs these days? Some sort of all-encompassing visual field, preferably with binocular vision. That's probably expensive, isn't it?
-m

--------------------
(the above was deciphered from phi (~1.62) using an advanced alphanumeric conversion algorhythm and should not be perceived as meaningful.)

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
Re: feedback loop device [Re: machineelf368]
    #1356516 - 03/07/03 05:52 AM (21 years, 17 days ago)

I think that would be kinda cool :smile:

Just zone out with you and your feedback. I'd want to do some jumping-jacks with the thing and then relax and watch myself calm down into deep meditation :wink:

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order