Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleveggieM

[MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation
    #13472481 - 11/12/10 07:58 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation
November 11, 2010 - riverfronttimes.com

The DEA, Missouri State Highway Patrol and U.S. Attorney's Office are trying to seize Camp Zoe, a 350-acre campground in central Missouri that hosts the music gathering Schwagstock -- after a four-year-long investigation allegedly uncovered rampant drug use and sales on the property.

According to a complaint filed November 8 in Eastern Missouri District Court, "over the past several years law enforcement agents have specifically observed the open sales of cocaine, marijuana, LSD (acid), ecstasy, psilocybin mushrooms, opium and marijuana-laced food products by individuals attending the music festival and made multiple undercover purchases of illegal drugs."

The paperwork shows that the authorities hope to use a mechanism called asset forfeiture to take the property. Under a forfeiture, they would not need to convict the property's owners of a crime -- or even charge them with one. The burden of proof is much lower.

The Camp Zoe property is located about 150 miles southwest of St. Louis near the town of Salem. It is owned and operated by Jimmy Tebeau, a member of the local Grateful Dead tribute band The Schwag. The complaint alleges that Tebeau -- who has not been charged with a crime -- and other Camp Zoe staff members were "in the immediate area" when the drug deals went down and "took no immediate action to prevent the activity."

Tebeau has not returned calls seeking comment on the government's claims. Joe Grasso, the booking agent for The Schwag, declined to comment.

According to the Camp Zoe website, Tebeau purchased the land, took up residence there, and started hosting the Schwagstock festivals in spring of 2004. The camp has also been the site of the Pagan Spirit Gathering, the Bluegrass Jam, Biker rallies and Gateway Burners, a gathering similar to Burning Man.

Schwagstock 45 was held earlier this year on September 17 and 18. The complaint reveals that "undercover purchases have been made as recently as September, 2010" but also says the investigation stretches all the way back to 2006 and includes evidence from "surveillance, undercover operations, source information, bank records, and interviews."

Asset forfeiture, according to the Department of Justice website, "enhances public safety and security," by "removing the proceeds of crime and other assets relied upon by criminals and their associates to perpetuate their criminal activity against our society."

In other words, if someone's car, home, or other assets are used to commit a crime, the DEA and other law enforcement agencies have the power to confiscate that property. They can then auction those items off and use the proceeds to fund their budgets. The complaint filed earlier this week says the Camp Zoe property has an approximate value of $600,000.

Since Tebeau himself has not been charged with a crime, the Camp Zoe case falls under the category of "civil forfeiture." That means the before the court issues a "certificate of forfeiture" to make things official, the government has to show a "preponderance of evidence" that the property was part of criminal activity.

In Tebeau's case, the U.S. Attorney's office alleges that Camp Zoe was "knowingly opened, rented, leased, used, or maintained for the purpose of manufacturing, distributing or using controlled substances."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleredeyesmj
werdo
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle of kansas
Re: [MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation [Re: veggie]
    #13472503 - 11/12/10 08:06 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

BULLSHIT!!!!!!!!!!!! fucking gov cant let anyone have any fun:(

--------------------
Where am I at?

[/url]
β€œTo be godless is probably the first step to innocence," he said, "to lose the sense of sin and subordination, the false grief for things supposed to be lost."
So by innocence you mean not an absence of experience, but an absence of illusions."
An absence of need for illusions," he said. "A love of and respect for what is right before your eyes.”― Anne Rice, The Vampire Lestat

OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
Re: [MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation [Re: veggie]
    #13472541 - 11/12/10 08:17 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

such bullshit...

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Loc: The bridgesii bridge
Re: [MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation [Re: veggie] * 1
    #13472545 - 11/12/10 08:18 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

The paperwork shows that the authorities hope to use a mechanism called asset forfeiture to take the property. Under a forfeiture, they would not need to convict the property's owners of a crime -- or even charge them with one. The burden of proof is much lower.

These asset forfeiture laws need to be done away with as soon as yesterday.

Quote:

The complaint alleges that Tebeau -- who has not been charged with a crime -- and other Camp Zoe staff members were "in the immediate area" when the drug deals went down and "took no immediate action to prevent the activity."

Perhaps that is because Tebeau and other Camp Zoe staff members aren't police officers.  If I see a drug deal going down, I will also take no immediate action to prevent the activity.  If the police want to ruin someone's life, they can put forth the effort and do the dirty work themselves.

--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Offlineshroomzi8
king of the wild fronteer
 User Gallery

Loc: Valencia, Spain Flag
Re: [MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation [Re: PilzeEssen]
    #13472580 - 11/12/10 08:30 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

let me get this right. they dont have to charge anyone with a crime and they can take your house? thats worrying. do they even need to bother with evidence? is this great law all over usa or just in a few states? doesn't your constitution have something about 'no cruel or unusual punishments' and the punishment fitting the crime? i thought your constitution was respected by your Babylon. this cant be right, i must have misinterpreted the article.:confused:

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: [MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation [Re: SuperD]
    #13472587 - 11/12/10 08:32 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SuperD said:
Quote:

These asset forfeiture laws need to be done away with as soon as yesterday.

Seriously. Whatever happened to due process?

OfflinePilzeEssen

Loc: USA
Re: [MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation [Re: Le_Canard]
    #13472616 - 11/12/10 08:42 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

if you dont know about this already, check it out...

RAVE Act:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAVE_act

--------------------
"The soul has greater need of the ideal than of the real. It is by the real that we exist, it is by the ideal that we live."

If you want to get a hold of me, my email address is in my profile. Just click on my screen name. I got banned from using private messages cause I didn't follow the rules... :frown:

InvisibleTTT
Cultivate the inside
 User Gallery

Re: [MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation [Re: PilzeEssen]
    #13473009 - 11/12/10 10:19 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Thats beyond fucked up. Some people I know called this as soon as it went down. Apparently they knew that Schwag was under investigation for years and thats why they rarely went. =/

What I am most concerned about is what the DEA will do with all that beautiful land if they seize it. This makes me want to flame.

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Re: [MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation [Re: TTT]
    #13473142 - 11/12/10 10:52 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

TTT said:
What I am most concerned about is what the DEA will do with all that beautiful land if they seize it. This makes me want to flame.

Build a prison perhaps? :crankey:

--------------------
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

OfflineDoseInTheWoods3420
LSD Connoisseur
Male User Gallery

Loc: wherever im needed Flag
Re: [MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation [Re: SuperD]
    #13473339 - 11/12/10 11:38 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

we should all go have a sit in on the land. its a 365/year campground after all. lets protest this shit. i dont wanna see this land go to waste.

--------------------

You're either on the bus, or off the bus
everything i say is complete and utter bulshit :wink:

LSD Connoisseur
Male User Gallery

Re: [MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation [Re: DoseInTheWoods3420]
    #13473371 - 11/12/10 11:45 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

this is gonna be a long court case but i think its winnable. all he has to say is that the is running a venue for his band. you cannot stop the people from doing what they want. the grateful dead/furthur/phish/wsp/wakarusa/ allgood/rothbyry/bear creak.what about all these other music outlits? do we just do away with all music now?

the thing is that i have personally seen jimmy riding around the area in a golf cart and he doesnt do shit except smile and just check it out. i always though there might be something going on but it seems like he was being legit enough to not have a case. they barely have enough for this "civil forfeiture" case.

--------------------

OfflineSirNoseDvoidoFungi
Stranger

Loc: Oregon Flag
Re: [MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation [Re: DoseInTheWoods3420]
    #13473386 - 11/12/10 11:48 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DoseInTheWoods3420 said:
we should all go have a sit in on the land. its a 365/year campground after all. lets protest this shit. i dont wanna see this land go to waste.

Absolutely.  Anyone in the area should feel obligated to do so.

This is horrendous.  Nobody owns anything if the government can just take it because of some bullshit law that they created, and which none of us voted on.  Allowing things like this to happen ensures that you will never be able to run something similar to Schwag.

Offlinewickedscepter
Freedom Fighter
Male

Re: [MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation [Re: SirNoseDvoidoFungi]
    #13473488 - 11/12/10 12:15 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Long live Schwagstock and Camp Zoe! You don't get more legit than that place. It was the promised land until the Feddy's showed up.

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Central Arkansas
Re: [MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation [Re: wickedscepter]
    #13473815 - 11/12/10 01:33 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I think it is winnable, but it will be a fight and what a bunch of bullshit. Our country has gone pretty sour when they can make laws like this.

How is it "against our society"? Any weak minded stinko can live a "life free life!" in complete self imagined safety, nobody ever forced any pimpletons to go to Zoe and take drugs or listen to music that was against their religion?

If squares have a right to be miserable and deep as a teaspoon, others should retain the right to liberty and the pursuit of happiness. All of us are "our society" not just the weaklings, cowards and pathos or people that are square because they actually believe in it or something?

I hope the Feds do make a joke of themselves and it gets attention drawn to this law so other venues and people will fight to have it repealed. It is blaming the grass for the foot that walked on it and looks like more RICO type profiteering by these departments.

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: [MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation [Re: shroomzi8]
    #13473857 - 11/12/10 01:43 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

shroomzi8 said:
let me get this right. they dont have to charge anyone with a crime and they can take your house?

We've got a fun law in Colorado- if you get busted picking up a hooker in your car, they take the car.
Your wife has to drive to work tomorrow? Bummer.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

InvisibleSuperD
Cacti junky
 User Gallery

Re: [MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation [Re: Doc_T]
    #13474051 - 11/12/10 02:32 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
Quote:

shroomzi8 said:
let me get this right. they dont have to charge anyone with a crime and they can take your house?

We've got a fun law in Colorado- if you get busted picking up a hooker in your car, they take the car.
Your wife has to drive to work tomorrow? Bummer.

Unbelievably stupid.  How do these ridiculous laws get passed in the first place?

--------------------
Manoa said:

Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Re: [MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation [Re: Doc_T]
    #13474056 - 11/12/10 02:34 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

clear cut case of the 4th amendment being shit on.
the bill of rights is something i really think is whats right about our government but of course something restricting so much power from the branches will be attacked. Power corrupts.

--------------------

OfflineSirNoseDvoidoFungi
Stranger

Loc: Oregon Flag
    #13474084 - 11/12/10 02:42 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

SuperD said:

Unbelievably stupid.  How do these ridiculous laws get passed in the first place?

Quote:

veggie said:
The complaint filed earlier this week says the Camp Zoe property has an approximate value of $600,000.

:money:

Sadly, it's that simple.

LSD Connoisseur
Male User Gallery

Re: [MO] Camp Zoe, Site of Schwagstock, Facing Seizure After Drug Investigation [Re: SirNoseDvoidoFungi]
    #13474830 - 11/12/10 05:17 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

well if they auction the site a bunch of us shuld pool in, buy the land, and live there. i dont wanna see the land go to waste

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #13474841 - 11/12/10 05:19 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

DoseInTheWoods3420 said:
well if they auction the site a bunch of us shuld pool in, buy the land, and live there sell for 10x what we paid in five years

:thumbup:

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate