Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleriverdweller
Misanthropic Voyeur
 User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA Flag
Trusted Identifier
Hypomyces lactifluorum
    #13423718 - 11/02/10 02:02 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

These were found in my usual pine tree plantation spot, mostly covered in moss and pine duff.  I took only a small portion of what I found and my backpack was full :grin:
I read that for my area (well for CA based on mykoweb's info), that the parasited host is usually Russula brevipes (which I also found, a big fatty!) and is also on Lactarius.  Mine all smell fishy. I've got an albino in the pot growing right next to the bright orange ones.
  Are these REALLY ok to eat?  I've got an iron stomach but how does one really know what the host really is?  I get so nervous feeding anything to my family, even campestris has me watching them like a hawk for a few days. 

Here's the Big Guy, Russula Brevipes.  He was completely covered by duff and moss and mud.

--------------------
I'm still here  :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTwiztidsage
Fungal Databaser
Male

Loc: Seattle Flag
Re: Hypomyces lactifluorum [Re: riverdweller]
    #13423875 - 11/02/10 02:32 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Very cool find! I have never collected or ate it, so I cannot help you with your question though...

I did find this:

"It has been postulated in some mushroom field guides that Hypomyces could attack a poisonous mushroom such as an amanita causing poisoning. There does not seem to be a lot of actual evidence of this. People have eaten this one for hundreds of years with few known incidents. As always, if you have never eaten a particular type of mushroom, try a small amount first. This one can be very choice or not so good in my experience. Often, older specimens can get rot spots from dirt sitting on the top or in crevices of the cap and start to smell bad. Don't give up if you find one that is not great. You could break it or slice it up and distribute it in locations where Russulas and Lactarius grow and hope for the best."

-From http://www.mushroom-collecting.com/mushroomlobster.html

Edited by Twiztidsage (11/02/10 02:33 PM)

Invisibleriverdweller
Misanthropic Voyeur
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Hypomyces lactifluorum [Re: Twiztidsage]
    #13424369 - 11/02/10 04:18 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks Twiz!  Anyone else have any experience or advice with these?

--------------------

Offlinebmarley3434
wildwalker
Male User Gallery

Loc: nj
    #13425192 - 11/02/10 07:51 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

im a complete idiot as you may (or may not) know. but i would totally have already eaten those, pic 2 and 3 are textbook!. i have never heard of any other fungus colonizing R. brevipes. but that is due to my inexperience.

i have one vote in for espeically 2 and 3 being safe. do they smell good or nasty?

on a side note, ive found amanitas supposedly parasitized by Hypomyces hyalinus

--------------------
www.returntonature.us - wild foods blog

OM

Offlinebmarley3434
wildwalker
Male User Gallery

Re: Hypomyces lactifluorum [Re: bmarley3434]
    #13425213 - 11/02/10 07:54 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

So I know you're going to ask "Is it edible?" well that's a complicated question. The Hypomyces part is known to be edible, but what about the host? Could the Hypomyces parasitize a poisonous mushroom? Apparently Hypomyces is a pretty good taxonomist, only parasitizing Russula or Lactarius species. According to Clark Rogerson and Gary Samuels, "In large populations of Hypomyces lactifluorum where the host can be determined with some confidence, the host has proven to be Russula brevipes; but associated nonparasitized hosts often belong to the Lactarius piperatus complex." Russula brevipes is a known edible, so it's not too surprising that the complex of these two species is edible.

However Lactarius piperatus has an exceedingly hot flavor that renders it inedible for most people-- but that hotness is neutralized by the parasite Hypomyces, making it very delicious. It is conceivable that Hypomyces lactifluorum could parasitize a poisonous mushroom and cause problems for the mushroom eater. However, the lobster mushroom has been eaten for hundred of years without any known problems. If you eat this mushroom you're taking a very, very slim chance of there being a problem, in my opinion.

- http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/aug2001.html

--------------------

OM

Invisibleriverdweller
Misanthropic Voyeur
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Hypomyces lactifluorum [Re: bmarley3434]
    #13425242 - 11/02/10 08:00 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

bmarley3434 said:

i have one vote in for espeically 2 and 3 being safe. do they smell good or nasty?

They smell fishy to me?  I've got them in the fridge...thinking of Tempura?

--------------------

OfflineCubeBensies
Stranger
Male

Loc: PNW
    #13425253 - 11/02/10 08:02 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

YES! Eat them, they are good.  They should be firm, if they are soft chuck em, but they look good to go.  Hypomyces lactifluorum is known to only infect edible Russula and Lactarius sp.  I have heard (From a peninsula mushroom buyer) they can also parasitize white chanterelles as well.

They are a really sweet tasting mushroom, great in egg dishes like quiches and omelets.  Earlier this fall I cooked some up at a friends house, we didn't finish eating them and no shit my friends cat ate the left over lobster pieces out of the frying pan. None of us had ever seen a cat eat mushrooms before!

Offlinebmarley3434
wildwalker
Male User Gallery

Re: Hypomyces lactifluorum [Re: CubeBensies]
    #13425277 - 11/02/10 08:07 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

fishy is right for lobsters. SOME DAY i will find a score like this, its tough i find R. brevipes frequently. i remember someone eating them.. maybe tangoking, and he tossed his cookies. even though all the guide books say edible.

--------------------

OM

Invisibleriverdweller
Misanthropic Voyeur
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #13425289 - 11/02/10 08:10 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

YAY!  Thanks, you guys!  I've been watching the thread, hoping hoping hoping....:laugh:

I have a sort of albino one?  What about him?  He's in both the habitat picture and in the collection?

--------------------

OfflineCubeBensies
Stranger
Male

Loc: PNW
    #13425323 - 11/02/10 08:15 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Its your call on the albino.  Its probably fine but it looks like something else has already been eating it.  Make sure it has the same texture/smell as the others if you are going to eat it.

Invisibleriverdweller
Misanthropic Voyeur
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #13425366 - 11/02/10 08:21 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I threw whitey out, plenty of better stuff!  Thanks everyone!!!

--------------------

Invisibleriverdweller
Misanthropic Voyeur
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #13425848 - 11/02/10 09:31 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

These were slammin!  Saute in olive oil with garlic on high heat and wow!!!  Great texture, very mushroomy taste (which i love)
YAY

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract