Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineCaptainAhab

Powderizing sheetrock? Any tips? Is it even worth it??
    #13374526 - 10/23/10 01:41 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

So I'm material-gathering, as usual, for my portabello grow attempt (I even found a customer at a local restaurant), and happen to come into my apt. today to find spare chunks of sheetrock, which the construction guys say I can have. Now that I've got this stuff, I need to break it down... but am having a hard time with it. Any tips for breaking up sheetrock into powder? Also, the paper backing on the stuff is a bitch to get off, and is still sticking. Would this harm the mushrooms?

Should I just spring the 10 bucks for 40 pounds of gypsum? Something about doing it myself just seemed so much cooler than buying that bag. Thanks

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinetajmahal420
Stranger than some....

Re: Powderizing sheetrock? Any tips? Is it even worth it?? [Re: CaptainAhab]
    #13375109 - 10/23/10 07:54 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Honestly, I'd spend the $10.  Saves you time, trouble, and a mess resulting from crushing up sheetrock.

But, if you're adamant about using the sheetrock, the easiest way would be to get a rasp.  Drywall hangers use it to clean up cut edges.  It resembles a mix between a cheese grater and hand planer.  Tell anyone at any hardware store you need a drywall rasp, they'll point you in the right direction.

Or use a cheese grater if you have a sturdy one.

Offlineclueless
justnew
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ANE Flag
Re: Powderizing sheetrock? Any tips? Is it even worth it?? [Re: tajmahal420]
    #13375215 - 10/23/10 08:38 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Taj has the right idea, thats 25 cents a pound. I'd just spring for it instead.

--------------------
I'm a rhinestone tiger in a leisure suit.

Invisiblebourndead
Down to Earth by Default
 User Gallery

#13375264 - 10/23/10 08:54 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

CaptainAhab said:
So I'm material-gathering, as usual, for my portabello grow attempt (I even found a customer at a local restaurant), and happen to come into my apt. today to find spare chunks of sheetrock, which the construction guys say I can have. Now that I've got this stuff, I need to break it down... but am having a hard time with it. Any tips for breaking up sheetrock into powder? Also, the paper backing on the stuff is a bitch to get off, and is still sticking. Would this harm the mushrooms?

Should I just spring the 10 bucks for 40 pounds of gypsum? Something about doing it myself just seemed so much cooler than buying that bag. Thanks

I just peel off as much of the paper as I can with one or 2 good peels, break the slab into chunks by whatever means, place in a pillowcase and beat the shit out of it for a couple of minutes. Just smack it on a wall or padio, anything you don't mind leaving a little gypsum dust on.
If you run it through a sifter afterward the majority of the paper backing gets left behind.

There's literally nothing but drywall gypsum to be found within 40miles of me, and I just can't justify the drive or the shipping costs when I can walk across the street, buy drywall, and smash it myself in a fraction of the time.

--------------------
"I don't have a God complex, you've got a simple God"

InvisibleNMR.Xochipilli
Strangerer
Male User Gallery

#13375343 - 10/23/10 09:34 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I put a bunch of chunks in a pillowcase or two, ziptie it shut and drive back and forth over it a bunch of times, rotating it every few. The paper won't hurt, the gypsum you buy at gardening stores often has chunks of paper in it anyway because it's just recycled sheetrock.

InvisibleBarakanaten
Ama-gi
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PNW Mycosphere( Blessed C...
Re: Powderizing sheetrock? Any tips? Is it even worth it?? [Re: NMR.Xochipilli]
    #13375637 - 10/23/10 11:08 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

May not matter but Sheetrock contains Synthetic Binders
and often times fire retardants and who knows what else.

Grow organic!!!

GIGO Garbage In Garbage Out  you could go blind from some random nasty:grin:

having said that....
Pillow case and a hammer always works:grin:

--------------------
:mushroomgrow:New to cultivation? :sunny: Have a Question?:mushroomgrow:
Because AMU We Q&A Know
AMU Genetic Library
  Easy Felt
  AMU
:blueangel:
Official PNW Mushroom Hunting Season 2011
"...Though in all else he may be as Saintly as St. Francis, in the pursuit of these ends he is more
Satanic than Satan. He will betray his nearest and dearest without the slightest twitch of flesh or spirit.
He is amoral."
-Definition of a mushroom hunter by ~Angelo Pellegrini
:gallery: :omgawesome: :gallery:

Offlinekevbo
Manure Connoisseur
Male

Re: Powderizing sheetrock? Any tips? Is it even worth it?? [Re: Barakanaten]
    #13376218 - 10/23/10 01:31 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Buy the 40lbs. Its a pain in the ass.. I kept putting off making new substrate because I didn't want to go through the pain in the ass to crush up drywall. Its messy, it takes forever, and I always ended up using less than I should have.

Offlinegornyhuy
A Myth Intrepidly Met
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA Flag
Re: Powderizing sheetrock? Any tips? Is it even worth it?? [Re: kevbo]
    #13376522 - 10/23/10 02:37 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

As suggested above, my variation is pillowcase + hammer.  If you hold the chunks end on it only takes a minute or two to get to powder, and you can easily pick the paper out after you've hammered it to dust.

--------------------
:mushroom2:Bulk Grow Substrate Calculator Spreadsheet - Download :heartpump: Thread:mushroom2:
*Downloaded over 3,500 times!* Also try the DMT Changa Mix Calculator

Stonesun's Amazing Sclerotia/Stones Guide:mushroom2:Vasodilator List:mushroom2:Niacinamide - reduce trip anxiety

OfflineBuckeye Oysters
From Zero to Hero
 User Gallery

Re: Powderizing sheetrock? Any tips? Is it even worth it?? [Re: gornyhuy]
    #13376543 - 10/23/10 02:42 PM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Sheetrock is just gypsum (calcium sulfate) and is natural as can be as long as the paper is not treated for mold (usually green paper) or fire (red paper).

Hammer in a pillowcase is best method.  Take out most paper pieces, the bits wont hurt.

--------------------
Evolution is Lamarckism in disguise.  Adaptation never creates a new species or trait, but rather the new species/trait always existed within the parent DNA until circumstances allowed it to be activated.  For instance, every wolf has the DNA for poodles, but that DNA would never be revealed without man selectively breeding for it.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate