Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisible5-HT2A

Medical use of hallucinogens immoral, harmful (Don't miss reading this gem)
    #13367454 - 10/21/10 05:13 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

This is several months old and from a student newspaper, but I thought I'd post it as it is so full of shit that it defies explanation. An excellent resource to use when studying the effects of propaganda.

LINK --- http://media.www.dailygamecock.com/viewpoints/medical-use-of-hallucinogens-immoral-harmful-1.1340659

By Lauren Hadley

Thank God for the ‘60s and all it brought to American history books: bell-bottoms, tie-dye, troll dolls, Chinese fire drills, Woodstock, Twister, lava lamps, free love and LSD; God Bless America.

Though many of these fads have faded out - some that are not missed, i.e., the bouffant hairdo and platform shoes - hallucinogens are coming back for another trip ... no pun intended.

Once taboo, hallucinogens are now being tested for medicinal purposes, as they are thought to cure the negative side effects of depression, obsessive-compulsive disorder, life-threatening anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, and addiction to illegal substances.

Just a thought, but how are people suffering from cocaine addiction going to get better by replacing their kilos with shrooms or LSD? Kind of an oxymoron, don't you think?

At many universities around the country, including Harvard, UCLA and Johns Hopkins University, private funds are fueling research of psychedelics easing the anxiety in patients with terminal illnesses.

In other words, they're trying to find ways to make a dying person's last few months more enjoyable as they waste away in stuffy hospitals.

Though research has proved psilocybin may improve a patient's mental and emotional states by giving them what some have described to be a "profound spiritual experience," prescribing patients illegal drugs to drift off into La-La Land is immoral and possible grounds for disaster.

As with any illicit drug, there are some serious side effects associated with hallucinogens, such as high blood pressure, increased heart rate, nausea, memory loss and heart palpitations.

Despite the fact that hallucinogens alter a person's perception of reality, which can be incredibly dangerous, they also cause users to build up a tolerance, causing them to constantly up their dosage.

This is a problem, considering the long-term affects include unexpected violent outbursts, mood swings, impaired thinking and suicide. Scientists argue that these drugs could cure you; however, it seems more likely that they'll kill you.

Life-threatening side effects set aside, what about the immorality issues that go hand-in-hand with using hallucinogens for medicinal reasons? Sadly, there are people in this world who would dare to cheat the system. In a recent "South Park" episode, Randy Marsh decides to give himself testicular cancer so he can benefit from marijuana prescriptions.

Though it's highly unlikely someone would stick their man junk in a microwave to get a doctor's note for marijuana or LSD (after all, "South Park is just a cartoon"), the issue of legitimacy has to be raised.

What if someone who doesn't suffer from depression claims to, is prescribed - by some unethical phenomenon - a hallucinogen for "medical purposes" and uses it to trip out or worse, sell it on the streets?

Diseases like depression and PTSD are unfortunate and yes, inconvenient. However, pharmaceutical companies make specific drugs to treat symptoms associated with those conditions, and people get doctorate degrees to help those who are effected cope.

As a society we shouldn't be resorting to illegal drugs to solve our problems for us. Our society has much higher standards than that.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleveggieM

Re: Medical use of hallucinogens immoral, harmful (Don't miss reading this gem) (moved) [Re: 5-HT2A]
    #13367594 - 10/21/10 05:46 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

This thread was moved from Shroomery News Service.

Reason:
Moved here at the request of OP.

OfflineLloydChristmas
getting lost on purpose
Male User Gallery

Loc: atx Flag
Re: Medical use of hallucinogens immoral, harmful (Don't miss reading this gem) [Re: 5-HT2A]
    #13367601 - 10/21/10 05:48 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

:facepalm:

--------------------

OfflineChronicCluster
Lord Cephalopod is Reborn!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Medical use of hallucinogens immoral, harmful (Don't miss reading this gem) [Re: LloydChristmas]
    #13367625 - 10/21/10 05:51 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

TL;DR
I know more than scientists cause I know nothing about what I'm talking about!
Drugs are bad!

That's basically all this said...

--------------------
This site needs some submissions.  You should probably help out...
NawMean?

InvisibleSalomon
ಠ︵ಠ balance ಠ_ಠ weaver ಠ‿ಠ
Male
Loc: America, FUCK YEAH Flag
Re: Medical use of hallucinogens immoral, harmful (Don't miss reading this gem) [Re: LloydChristmas]
    #13367641 - 10/21/10 05:55 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

As with any illicit drug, there are some serious side effects associated with hallucinogens, such as high blood pressure, increased heart rate, nausea, memory loss and heart palpitations.

Despite the fact that hallucinogens alter a person's perception of reality, which can be incredibly dangerous, they also cause users to build up a tolerance, causing them to constantly up their dosage.

This is a problem, considering the long-term affects include unexpected violent outbursts, mood swings, impaired thinking and suicide. Scientists argue that these drugs could cure you; however, it seems more likely that they'll kill you.

--------------------
EVERYTHING EVENTUALLY BECOMES A DESERT

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Medical use of hallucinogens immoral, harmful (Don't miss reading this gem) [Re: Salomon]
    #13367647 - 10/21/10 05:56 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I know more than scientists cause I know nothing about what I'm talking about!
Drugs are bad!

haha yup

--------------------
..and may the zelda theme song be with you at all times, amen.

Offlinecircastes
Big Questions Small Head
Male User Gallery

Loc: straya Flag
Re: Medical use of hallucinogens immoral, harmful (Don't miss reading this gem) [Re: soldatheero]
    #13367958 - 10/21/10 06:52 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

It sounds like a child wrote it.

--------------------
My solitude...
My shield...
My armour...

TESTED
WITH
FULL
FORCE

Offlinesoldatheero
lastirishman
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Medical use of hallucinogens immoral, harmful (Don't miss reading this gem) [Re: circastes]
    #13368060 - 10/21/10 07:10 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

She is just incredibly naive.
Quote:

What if someone who doesn't suffer from depression claims to, is prescribed - by some unethical phenomenon - a hallucinogen for "medical purposes" and uses it to trip out or worse, sell it on the streets?

hilarious

--------------------
..and may the zelda theme song be with you at all times, amen.

Offlineandrewss
precariously aggrandized

Loc: ohio
Re: Medical use of hallucinogens immoral, harmful (Don't miss reading this gem) [Re: circastes]
    #13369675 - 10/22/10 01:28 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

circastes said:
It sounds like a child wrote it.

yeah, that sounded like a freshman highschooler wrote that for a school newsletter or something

--------------------
Jesus loves you.

Offlinelearningtofly
Ancient Aliens
Male

Loc: Out of this world
Re: Medical use of hallucinogens immoral, harmful (Don't miss reading this gem) [Re: andrewss]
    #13370367 - 10/22/10 09:03 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

pharmaceutical companies make specific drugs to treat symptoms associated with those conditions, and people get doctorate degrees to help those who are effected cope.

:goose:

--------------------

InvisibleOrgoneConclusion
Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Loc: Under the C
Re: Medical use of hallucinogens immoral, harmful (Don't miss reading this gem) [Re: 5-HT2A]
    #13371384 - 10/22/10 01:15 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Just a thought, but how are people suffering from cocaine addiction going to get better by replacing their kilos with shrooms or LSD? Kind of an oxymoron, don't you think?

No, not an oxymoron at all. :rolleyes:

How does one replace a weight with a drug? Makes no sense.

--------------------

Offlinefrankenberry
Stranger
Re: Medical use of hallucinogens immoral, harmful (Don't miss reading this gem) [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #13371808 - 10/22/10 02:52 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I think that it's because committing murder and other violent acts gives people a 'rush' like feeling.  people can become addicted to this feeling.  These were two young boys feeding off of each other.  I'm sure that they didn't start their spree with a murder.  They have probably been egging each other on to commit horrible acts for a long time.

InvisiblePoid
Shroomery's #1 Spellir
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: SF Bay Area Flag
Re: Medical use of hallucinogens immoral, harmful (Don't miss reading this gem) [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #13372187 - 10/22/10 04:10 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

OrgoneConclusion said:
Quote:

No, not an oxymoron at all. :rolleyes:

How does one replace a weight with a drug? Makes no sense.

When people say kilo, it's often-times implied that they mean a kilo of coke, especially if they're talking about coke. :shrug:

--------------------
Well I try my best to be just like I am, but everybody wants you to be just like them. --  Bob Dylan
fireworks_god said:
It's one thing to simply enjoy a style of life that one enjoys, but it's another thing altogether to refer to another person's choice as "wrong" or to rationalize their behavior as being pathological or resulting from some sort of inadequacy or failing so as to create a sense of superiority or separation as yet another projection of a personal fear or control issue.

OfflineChronicCluster
Lord Cephalopod is Reborn!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Medical use of hallucinogens immoral, harmful (Don't miss reading this gem) [Re: Poid]
    #13373649 - 10/22/10 09:08 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I think he knew that and I thought he was just being contrary.  :shrug:

--------------------
This site needs some submissions.  You should probably help out...
NawMean?

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Medical use of hallucinogens immoral, harmful (Don't miss reading this gem) [Re: ChronicCluster]
    #13373699 - 10/22/10 09:18 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I was being precise not contrary. Big difference.

--------------------

OfflineNetDiver
Wandering Mindfuck

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
    #13376410 - 10/23/10 02:08 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

There's not a single positive comment on that article. :lolsy:

--------------------

Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

#13376731 - 10/23/10 03:37 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Though many of these fads have faded out - some that are not missed, i.e., the bouffant hairdo and platform shoes - hallucinogens are coming back for another trip ... no pun intended.

I am highly sceptical of that.

--------------------
Weedmaster P knows the truth.

Blue Fish Group
Male User Gallery

Re: Medical use of hallucinogens immoral, harmful (Don't miss reading this gem) [Re: laserpig]
    #13376768 - 10/23/10 03:50 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I agree. Bouffant hairdos and platform shoes are once again - all the rage!

--------------------

Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

#13376781 - 10/23/10 03:53 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

No I mean, I don't think there's a chance in hell that her pun was an accident.

--------------------
Weedmaster P knows the truth.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Medical use of hallucinogens immoral, harmful (Don't miss reading this gem) [Re: andrewss]
    #13376838 - 10/23/10 04:08 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

yeah, that sounded like a freshman highschooler wrote that for a school newsletter or something

Close.

Quote:

By Lauren Hadley

First-year visual communications student

WTF is visual communications anyway? Flipping someone the bird? :flipthebird:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order