Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekevbo
Manure Connoisseur
Male

drying spent coffee grounds in the oven
    #13342769 - 10/16/10 03:05 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Hello,
I am sick of coffee grounds making my hands soooo messy when I deal with them, so I'm going to dry them out in the oven. Only thing is, does it matter if I bake them at 200-250 or so? I mean, does it matter if they are sterilized, when I will be mixing it in at 10% with coir/verm/gympsum and pasteurizing? Or should I keep it below 160? I assume that spent coffee grounds don't have a flora of micro-organisms that need to be preserved in pasteurization. Could be wrong.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: drying spent coffee grounds in the oven [Re: kevbo]
    #13342789 - 10/16/10 03:22 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

kevbo said:
Hello,
I am sick of coffee grounds making my hands soooo messy when I deal with them, so I'm going to dry them out in the oven. Only thing is, does it matter if I bake them at 200-250 or so? I mean, does it matter if they are sterilized, when I will be mixing it in at 10% with coir/verm/gympsum and pasteurizing? Or should I keep it below 160? I assume that spent coffee grounds don't have a flora of micro-organisms that need to be preserved in pasteurization. Could be wrong.

Drying the coffee grounds off in the oven will serve no purpose because your coffee grounds will need to brought to field capacity and pasteurized, along with all your other bulk substrate materials at once.

Save your self the head ache and cut the coffee grounds out of your bulk substrate all together.  Coffee contaminates easily.  The coir/verm/gypsum substrate alone will perform quite well on it's own with out the extra contaminate vector provided (coffee).  If you must enrich your substrate with nitrogen, use worm castings in the place of spent coffee grounds.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Offlinekevbo
Manure Connoisseur
Male

Re: drying spent coffee grounds in the oven [Re: hamloaf]
    #13342830 - 10/16/10 04:25 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I understand that.. Its just for storage. I've done 8 trays do far with coffee.. One had a contam, but I believe it was unrelated to the coffee. I've been having great yields, so I'm not very inclined to change anything, but I will look at worm casings for my next grow.

I know they have to be rehydrated, but I'm trying to avoid keeping them in the freezer and just vacuum sealing them. Plus, messy grounds are annoying.

I live next to a Starbucks, but I think they thought I was mentally retarded. They talked to me like I was. I'm really not trying to go back anytime soon. Snobs

P.S. Coffee usually contaminated with white mold I see. My contaminated tray had trich. Is the white mold on coffee trich before sporulation or something else? Just trying to pin this down. Thanks

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
    #13343420 - 10/16/10 10:33 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

P.S. Coffee usually contaminated with white mold I see. My contaminated tray had trich. Is the white mold on coffee trich before sporulation or something else? Just trying to pin this down. Thanks

White mold that resembles rhizomorphic cube mycelium growth but colonizes 2-3 times as fast as cube myce is usually cobweb mold.  Cobweb mold is also a shade or 2 grayer than cube mycelium upon closer visual examination, as well as, has a ropier spider web appearance.  Trichoderma's mycelium is white before it turns green and sporulates.  Trichoderma mycelium comes up white and matty unlike rhizomorphic cube mycelium and is about a shade brighter than cube mycelium and smells like dirt.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

InvisibleLifenergy
Yo Mama

Re: drying spent coffee grounds in the oven [Re: hamloaf]
    #13343429 - 10/16/10 10:36 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I always freeze my coffee grounds for storage.

--------------------
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #13343507 - 10/16/10 11:01 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

You can dry the coffee grinds in the oven.  I empty my coffee grinds every day into a can that sits on top of the wood stove.  This dries them fast so they don't mold.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags