Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Trusted Cultivator
Medicinal Mushrooms I
    #1322709 - 02/20/03 02:54 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

?
Christopher Hobbs L.Ac., A.H.G.

Mushrooms have been valued throughout the world as both food and medicine for thousands of years. Throughout the world, many people enjoy hunting for wild mushrooms, delighting in the variety of shapes, sizes, and colors exhibited by these "flowers of the fall." Europeans have always appreciated the gastronomic value of wild mushrooms. In Japan, pushcart vendors on the streets still sell medicinal mushrooms to the average citizen who uses them to maintain health and promote longevity. Some Japanese people have even been said to travel hundreds of miles in order to collect wild mushrooms that only grow on very old plum trees--such as the Reishi--renowned as a cure for cancer and degenerative diseases. Likewise, for over 3,000 years the Chinese have used and revered many fungi for their health-giving properties, especially tonics for the immune system (Bo and Yun-sun, 1980; Yun-Chang, 1985). To the Yoruba of southwestern Nigeria a number of fungi became an important part of their mythology and medical practice (Oso, 1977).

Mushrooms may also be the perfect food for staying trim and healthy. A recent "letter from the editor" in the Nutrition Action newsletter (September, 1994) from the Center for Science in the Public Interest mentioned that up to 1/3 of the U.S. population are overweight. Because fats occur in mushrooms in minor amounts, especially compared with protein and carbohydrates, and the fatty fraction consists predominantly of unsaturated fatty acids such as linoleic acid, they may be the perfect food for losing weight and maintaining a healthy heart and cardiovascular system.

When it comes to mushrooms, most Americans and inhabitants of the British Isles are rather ignorant. Many people in the United States have a distinct dislike, even a fear, of fungi--a phenomenon that may be called "fungophobia"--a term coined by Hay (1887). Rolfe and Rolfe wrote about the distinctly unsavory view of which the British view mushrooms and mushroom hunters, in their delightful Romance of the Fungus World (1925). Generally, the first association wild mushrooms bring to mind here is "poisonous." The principal edible mushroom most Americans know is the bland Agaricus bisporus (Lange) Sing., or "button mushroom" found in supermarkets. It has little flavor and negligible medicinal value compared with other wild species. In fact, it can even be unhealthful in the sense that it may be heavily sprayed with malathion and other pesticides (many commercially cultivated mushrooms are among the most heavily sprayed items in the vegetable section). The button mushroom may also have cancer-causing properties when eaten continuously, though exactly how potent this effect might be in humans is not clear. See the section on this common mushroom on page xx for further details.

In recent years other cultivated species such as the oyster mushroom and shiitake have begun to appear in markets.

Happily, however, there are signs that these narrow-minded attitudes in the United States and England are changing and catching up with the rest of the world. The spreading popularity of natural foods is one factor that has helped re-awaken interest in mushrooms and mushroom-hunting. Another factor is the recent growth of the mushroom-export business, which has been boosted by troubles in Europe. Due to acid rain, sprawling development, and industrial accidents such as the one at Chernobyl, millions of acres of mushroom habitat in Europe and Russia have been disturbed, and many species of wild mushrooms are becoming scarce (Cherfas, 1991).

Europe imports thousands of pounds of chanterelles and boletus each year. The high price these traditional gastronomic delights bring creates a good supplementary income for knowledgeable gatherers in the United States. Indeed, wild or home cultivation may soon become viable cottage industries in the Pacific Northwest, which has the forest habitats and substantial rainfall needed for such ventures. Cultivation as a home business may be preferable to the recent problems that are surfacing in the Pacific Northwest among professional and itinerant pickers alike--namely squabbling over mushroom patches on public lands. A newspaper article told of teams of professional pickers using walkie-talkies to coordinate harvests and mentioned that they can become upset when other pickers strayed into what they considered their turf. In response to the increased harvesting pressure, quotas were recently set in the Mt. Hood National Forest (McRae, 1993). For books and supplies for the cultivation of edible and medicinal mushrooms, see the appendix.

Finally, Japanese products containing LEM, a polysaccharide-rich extract from the shiitake mushroom and similar extracts from maitake are currently undergoing trials in Japan and the U.S. to test their effectiveness in treating various forms of cancer. They show promise for treating people suffering from various forms of cancer and AIDS and are currently in strong demand in Japan. Commercial shiitake cultivators in the U.S., Canada, and in parts of Asia are decidedly interested in this new potential market and are starting large cultivation efforts, hoping the demand will continue to grow as further scientific studies are conducted. At present, pharmaceutical and nutraceutical products from mushrooms may be worth more than 1.2 billion dollars U.S.

Wei Qi Soup for Building Immune Strength
Directions:
Fill a pot 2/3 full with purified or spring water, then add:

Astragalus membranaceus (5-7 sticks)
Ganoderma lucidum (reishi) (1 medium)
any other tonifying mushrooms 2-3
Slightly sprouted beans (1/4-1/2 cup)
(aduki, black, etc.)
Bring water to boil, simmer for 20 minutes, then add:
Organic barley (1/2-1 cup)
(choose amount depending on thickness desired)
Simmer another 20 minutes, then add favorite vegetables such as:
carrots & celery
beet tops (or chard, collards, mustard greens, etc.)
cabbage
potatoes (optional)
sea vegetables (nori, kelp, wakame, etc.)
gobo (i.e., burdock root)
nettles or other wild greens (when available)
garlic & onions

Simmer until the vegetables are tender, then add miso and spices such as ginger, celery, or fennel seed. Make enough for a few days and store it in the refrigerator.

Indications and Dosage: During illness, when solid food is not desirable, drink 3-4 cups of the warm broth (add less barley and more water to make broth). For degenerative immune conditions, eat 1-2 small bowls per day, and drink the broth as desired. For autoimmune diseases such as allergies, lupus, diabetes, and hepatitis accompanied by fatigue, weakness, or autoimmune conditions, eat the soup when desired, or drink the broth. This soup can be used upon occasion (1-2 times per week) for general tonification and may help to increase stamina.

Table 1: Sources of Medicinal Fungi
Table 2: Use Summary of Major Medicinal Mushrooms: Arranged by Species
Table 3: Medicinal Mushroom Uses: Arranged by Symptom or Condition

Resources
Fungi Perfecti
P.O. Box 7634
Olympia, WA 98507
206 426-9292
Mayway U.S.A.
1338 Cyperus St.
Oakland, CA 94607
(510) 208-3113

Chinese herbs in bulk, extracts and other herbal products

RECOMMENDED READING LIST
GROWING

Medicinal Mushrooms by Christopher Hobbs
Kombucha by Christopher Hobbs
Manual on Mushroom Cultivation by Peter Oei.
Mushrooms in the Garden by Helmut Steineck.
The Shiitake Growers Handbook by P. Przlbylowicz and J. Donoghue.
The Mushroom Cultivator by P. Stamets and J. Chilton.
Growing Shiitake Mushrooms in a Continental Climate by Mary Ellen Kozak and J. Krawczyk.
Cultivating Edible Fungi by P.J. Wuest.

IDENTIFICATION

Mushrooms Demystified by David Arora.
All That the Rain Promises and More by David Arora.

PRODUCTS
Rainbow Light Herbal Systems
Caplets

Reishi Supercomplex
Deep Defense
Liquid Extracts
Deep Defense Medicinal Mushrooms Christopher Hobbs, L.Ac., A.H.G. 6

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Medicinal Mushrooms I [Re: Ripple] * 1
    #1322858 - 02/20/03 03:59 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Excellent. Reishi = soup base. I was just looking at quart of dried reishi and thinking what will I do with this. There is no way I'm going to drink this much tea.

--------------------
Keep growing.

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
Re: Medicinal Mushrooms I [Re: falcon]
    #1325852 - 02/22/03 03:47 AM (21 years, 30 days ago)

There are many as yet undiscovered properties in fungi of use in medicine.The work with psilocybin in OCD is promising,and anecdotaly I have heard of several other medical uses including my own, controling Atrial Fibrillation. A monthly sub-psychoactive dose controls my condition completly,giving me a steady synchronized atrial/ventrical pulse.This is something medicine can only achieve at present with a dangerous surgery called the MAZE procedure.
Other interesting uses for fungal medicines are wound tinctures w/shittake and oyster mushrooms which seem to stimulate healing and prevent infection in dirty wound conditions.
I pray that this research continues as these fascinating yet meek allies are amazingly powerful. WR

--------------------
To old for this place

InvisibleRipple
Ripple
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the timbers of Fennario
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Medicinal Mushrooms I [Re: whiterasta] * 1
    #1325933 - 02/22/03 04:56 AM (21 years, 30 days ago)

I take a periodic sub-psychoactive dose of psilocybin to control my problem with alcohol abuse. I still drink recreationally but not the massive amounts I did prior to using psilocybin.

--------------------
The bus came by and I got on that's when it all began!

InvisibleOlgualion
Shaman-In-Training
 User Gallery

Loc: Currently Earth...
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Medicinal Mushrooms I [Re: Ripple]
    #1326374 - 02/22/03 10:03 AM (21 years, 30 days ago)

That was really great!  Thank you!

Please tell me what book it came from, and I think I will go buy it. :smile: 

--------------------
Study the past...
See the future...

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Medicinal Mushrooms I [Re: whiterasta]
    #1326635 - 02/22/03 12:41 PM (21 years, 30 days ago)

It has also been used as a very effective treatment for Cluster Headaches. A cripplingly painfull disorder similar to extreme migranes.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisiblespaceman101
Friend to all
Male User Gallery

Loc: In heaven bored as hell
Re: Medicinal Mushrooms I [Re: falcon]
    #17933928 - 03/10/13 02:52 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

I'm in dyer need of reishi spores due to the history of cancerous tumors in my family but I have verry little money to get them how do I go about getting some for cheap if you know PM me please and thank you

--------------------
-------------

Check out my Pollen Trade thread for spreading Good genetics far and wide :grin:

Great Vendors thread where we can discuss "Non Shroomery" Vendors that sell good products worth checking into :stoned:

A few things I wanna get my hands on check it out and let me know if you have any of these:grin:

Need help getting started growing mushrooms
              Here's The Noob Forum

InvisibleFoxFire
Energized Matter
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Medicinal Mushrooms I [Re: spaceman101]
    #17934347 - 03/10/13 04:24 PM (11 years, 11 days ago)

This thread is 10 years old.

You can buy reishi supplements online,
or if you want to grow from culture/spores there are lots of vendors that have what you need.

-FF

--------------------
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better.  It's not.

OfflineDormamu
Ghost
Male

Re: Medicinal Mushrooms I [Re: FoxFire]
    #17972811 - 03/18/13 06:26 AM (11 years, 3 days ago)

(I may be a bit off topic and forgive me if i am but it seemed rather ok to post here seeing as how this involved medicinal mushrooms and bad trips from psilocybin) ........I read on another web page online about a possible synergy between reishi mushrooms and psilocybin. I am a regular user of reishi and i enjoy the mysticism of magic m, every now and then, so as to not build a tolerance. Reishi to me has always been extremely helpful when ever i smoke cannabis because i always seem to experience mild paranoia from it. Theres something about reishi that keeps me completely at ease, however, reishi does seems to enhance the OEVS and CEVS that i get from mj even though i feel perfectly calm as mentioned. My question is, would both mushrooms have synergy if taken together? Could this be perhaps a way to prevent a "bad trip" in a way? I am very interested in trying this combo but wanted some feed back from some experienced users first. Anything will be much appreciated thanx!!! :mushroom2:

--------------------
.......................................................🐸🐸🐸...................................................................

InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

Loc: Babylon Flag
Re: Medicinal Mushrooms I [Re: Dormamu]
    #17974155 - 03/18/13 01:23 PM (11 years, 3 days ago)

Idk man. They list it as an antidote to poison mushrooms along with other ganodermas.
  Sometimes when I trip I get that "I've been poisoned" feeling. Maybe it'd smooth it out...

--------------------

spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
medicinal psilocybin tincture drops
cannabis pics

OfflineDormamu
Ghost
Male

Re: Medicinal Mushrooms I [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #17974890 - 03/18/13 04:00 PM (11 years, 3 days ago)

Yea maybe it will make the ride a bit easier to handle  :jiggletits: I will experiment and post if effects are significant.

--------------------
.......................................................🐸🐸🐸...................................................................

OfflineSpaceBaby
alchemist
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: SPACE
Re: Medicinal Mushrooms I [Re: whiterasta]
    #27435707 - 08/20/21 08:40 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Cluster Headache relief.

https://clusterbusters.org

Suicide or Psychedlics. Bob Wold on Cluster Headacche relief.

--------------------
SpaceBaby
SPACEBABY'S LAGM22 THREAD
MUSHBOY'S SHROOM TEA TEK

Me as a cube

Another Day's Work:

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Medicinal Mushrooms I [Re: SpaceBaby]
    #27436014 - 08/20/21 01:41 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

You resurrect an 18 year old thread to post a relatively unrelated video that belongs in a different forum entirely?

:babypalm:

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineSpaceBaby
alchemist

Re: Medicinal Mushrooms I [Re: Forrester]
    #27436432 - 08/20/21 07:36 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Forrester said:
You resurrect an 18 year old thread to post a relatively unrelated video that belongs in a different forum entirely?

:babypalm:

I didn't see the date. I am terrible sorry.

The video was realted to a comment that I thought I saw about the various medical benefits of psychedlics. I used to suffer from these horribly and thanks oo what's described in the video, don't.

I also had major chemo, have chemo brain, and miss stuff from the cognitive destruction.

I am here exploring what medicinal mushrooms I might grow.

Again, sorry. Never mind., I'll just go back to cult.

--------------------
SpaceBaby
MUSHBOY'S SHROOM TEA TEK

Me as a cube

Another Day's Work:

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27436878 - 08/21/21 06:33 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Not a big deal man, I was just joking

The original post I think was about Reishi, but 2 posts later was already off topic, and literally nobody cares if you derail an 18 year old thread anyway :lol:

There is a whole forum on Psychedelic Medicine, Research & Microdosing where your video might fit a lot better if you wanna check that out though :smile:

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineSpaceBaby
alchemist

#27436892 - 08/21/21 06:53 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Forrester said:
Not a big deal man, I was just joking

The original post I think was about Reishi, but 2 posts later was already off topic, and literally nobody cares if you derail an 18 year old thread anyway :lol:

There is a whole forum on Psychedelic Medicine, Research & Microdosing where your video might fit a lot better if you wanna check that out though :smile:

Thanks, Forrester. I am glad you were joking. Sometimes it is really a drag to know what you were capable of and no longer are due to the impact of health vectors.:sad:
And it took a while not to be a completely annoying noob, of which I tend to be less.

I have been to the Psychedelic Medicine thread. If it pops up in "my threads," I check.

I really am in this thread to learn about Medicinal Mushrooms and the cultivation thereof. Ironically, I have a good distribution channel already in place here and now just have to grow them. About which I now know slightly less than nothing. I am researching first a species that is forgiving and hopefully robust in yields. :shrug:

Thanks for letting me down off the ledge.

--------------------
SpaceBaby
MUSHBOY'S SHROOM TEA TEK

Me as a cube

Another Day's Work:

Offlinedeadmandave
Slime
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #27437096 - 08/21/21 09:51 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

:lol: I didn't notice the op was so old but I was like wow here's some outdated info and old ass sources...

What kind of medicinals did you want to grow? Reishi is pretty forgiving and I've seen some killer grows come out of monotubs. Lions mane is another that's easy to fruit. Almost any mushroom that grows on a tree has medicinal properties.

OfflineSpaceBaby
alchemist

Re: Medicinal Mushrooms I [Re: deadmandave]
    #27437110 - 08/21/21 09:58 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

deadmandave said:
:lol: I didn't notice the op was so old but I was like wow here's some outdated info and old ass sources...

What kind of medicinals did you want to grow? Reishi is pretty forgiving and I've seen some killer grows come out of monotubs. Lions mane is another that's easy to fruit. Almost any mushroom that grows on a tree has medicinal properties.

Thanks, I'm looking at reishi's first. My outlet is pretty stoked for it. So that pretty much settles it.

I will start with that. After that gets going :shrug: Are cordyceps a good idea?

Is Hobbs an old-ass source?
Also, my off-topic cluster headache video was made long ago but the info for CH sufferers is current.

--------------------
SpaceBaby
MUSHBOY'S SHROOM TEA TEK

Me as a cube

Another Day's Work:

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #27437343 - 08/21/21 01:37 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

I'll second that reishi is a great one to start with.  Even easier to grow and more forgiving than cubes.  Cordyceps is doable but I wouldn't start with that one.

Hobbs is a good source, I still consult his book on occasion, although I prefer the Fungal Pharmacy by Robert Rogers, if you want to get more in-depth.

Anyway don't hesitate to start a new thread if you have any questions in your endeavor, we're here to help!

--------------------
-------------------

OfflineSpaceBaby
alchemist

#27437716 - 08/21/21 07:37 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

thanks

:grin:

got that book ordered, too.

Edited by SpaceBaby (08/21/21 09:36 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Amanita Muscaria Store Amanita Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order