Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineWoozy Pooky
Stranger

B+ primordium giving spores @ 1,5" (?), no veil present. Is this an abort? [Pics incl.]
    #13213088 - 09/18/10 07:48 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

So, hello there fellow shroomerites. :smile:

I am new to the site and the cultivation thingy as well. I thought that the easiest way to start would be a couple of grow kits (a B+ & a Cambodian), since half the job is already done and it's considerably difficult to f*ck up with a grow kit if you just follow the easy-as-ABC instructions, no matter how inexperienced you might be.

Ok, so, on to the point. The first grow kit (B+) produced a single pinhead at first, and soon others followed. That first pinhead has naturally grown a lot more that the others, being the first one to come out, and I was happy to see how quickly it did so. When I saw no noticeable increase in its size for about a day now, I came to the conclusion that it had stopped growing. Its current height is approx. 3,5cm. I also noticed that the cap seemed to be fairly open for a primordium of this size, so I took a look at it from underneath, only to discover that the cap was kind of open (not fully though), with no veil present. :uhoh: I looked for a ring on the stem but there wasn't one, at least not one that my inexperienced eye could discern. I took a closer look at the underside and noticed tiny little "hair" inside it, which, I presume, were the gills to be. I thought I might give it a few hours before I jump to any conclusions, marking its current height. Now, some 12 hours later, it hasn't grown a bit (which I believe, considering the rate at which it had grown up until now, is not normal), plus I can now see that the cap's underside has blackened considerably since yesterday (the underside only, not the cap), as if it has started producing spores... :confused2: Even thought the cap itself isn't black or anything, the whole primordium seems to be a slightly grayer colour than the other yellowy ones.

Here are a few pics, as clear as I could get them:

So my questions are these:

1) Is it safe to assume that this is an abort and, if so, what should I do with it?

2) Is it normal that it doesn't (and, apparently, never did) have a veil?

3) If it is an abort, how come it is seemingly ready to produce spores?

I am sorry if my questions seem too n00bish. I am trying to absorb every tiny bit of info I find on shrooms here and everywhere on the net, but there are still many things I don't get/know or that I am not experienced enough to get the hang of.

Thank you all in advance. :sunny:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: B+ primordium giving spores @ 1,5" (?), no veil present. Is this an abort? [Pics incl.] [Re: Woozy Pooky]
    #13213114 - 09/18/10 08:08 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I believe what you have there may be a too-dry tub in a too-wet environment.
Aborted for lack of water, is my guess. Can't really comment on the veil.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineWoozy Pooky
Stranger

Re: B+ primordium giving spores @ 1,5" (?), no veil present. Is this an abort? [Pics incl.] [Re: Doc_T]
    #13213129 - 09/18/10 08:17 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Doc_T said:
I believe what you have there may be a too-dry tub in a too-wet environment.
Aborted for lack of water, is my guess. Can't really comment on the veil.

Well, those grow kits are supposed to be left alone since they have sufficient humidity due to the 24-hour soaking thing at the beginning of the process and the perlite at the bottom of the box. Nevertheless, I have been misting the bag (externally) at least twice a day for extra humidity (the bag seems dry in the photos because I waited a while after the last misting so th inside of the bag could be seen clearly). So, how could that be? :confused2:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: B+ primordium giving spores @ 1,5" (?), no veil present. Is this an abort? [Pics incl.] [Re: Woozy Pooky]
    #13213136 - 09/18/10 08:21 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Strip the bag off.  Fresh air is the number one pinning trigger, followed closely by bright light.  I can tell your mushrooms are suffering from lack of both.

Mist to make up for the water that evaporates from the substrate, but if you soaked it, then that may be the problem.  A too-wet substrate will perform very poorly and give small fruits.  If the substrate is heavy, let it dry out.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineWoozy Pooky
Stranger

Re: B+ primordium giving spores @ 1,5" (?), no veil present. Is this an abort? [Pics incl.] [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13213208 - 09/18/10 08:49 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Strip the bag off.  Fresh air is the number one pinning trigger, followed closely by bright light.  I can tell your mushrooms are suffering from lack of both.

Mist to make up for the water that evaporates from the substrate, but if you soaked it, then that may be the problem.  A too-wet substrate will perform very poorly and give small fruits.  If the substrate is heavy, let it dry out.
RR

I only soaked it in the beginning for 24 hours, then drained all the excess water, as the instructions said. I don't suppose over-misting can cause soaking, can it? =/

OfflineWoozy Pooky
Stranger

Re: B+ primordium giving spores @ 1,5" (?), no veil present. Is this an abort? [Pics incl.] [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13213222 - 09/18/10 08:54 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Oh, and another thing. Do you suggest I ditch the bag and leave the box totally uncovered throughout the next flushes? I mean, I thought that its purpose of existence was to protect the mycelium or something.. :confused2:

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #13213233 - 09/18/10 08:58 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Most of the growkits that we see use info which is outdated.
So in the process of telling you how to fix it we're basically going to tell you to start over and do it yourself from scratch.
PF Tek as shown in RR's videos^^^ is a great starting point.

Meanwhile, if you manage to get prints or clonable fruits off your growkit, you are that much better off.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineWoozy Pooky
Stranger

#13214064 - 09/18/10 01:14 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:

RR

I did as you said, I took the box out of the bag, and now, 4 hours later, that one primordium has shriveled dry and the other ones don't seem to be doing so well either... I thought taking the bag off was supposed to be a good thing. Maybe I should have sticked to the instructions that came with the box.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags