Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemindexplorer
live in my mind
 User Gallery
Regarding mycologist mods...
    #13192612 - 09/14/10 01:57 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Before mods delete... I have a valid question that applies to the hunting subforum.

The mods claiming themselves as mycologists... brahs, for curiosity sake, are yall real mycologists?... as in completed at least an undergrad in myco or bio... if not gone to the tops of doctorate in mycology?

I was having a discussion with a friend whom is a doctorate mycologist and a professor at my college [and an avid mind explorer]. I'm just wondering.

and on that note, hate to say this in a way, but proudly im in my senior year for microbiology!!!

--------------------
Working on my undergrad for molecular biology with a biotechnology option. Certified personal trainer. Mushroom mind explorer :laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineelprawn
Mushroom Guestimator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ilford, England
Trusted Identifier
Re: Regarding mycologist mods... [Re: mindexplorer]
    #13192624 - 09/14/10 02:01 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I'm pretty sure **** *********** is actually a mycologist and I've not seen anyone else here claiming to be.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
    #13192809 - 09/14/10 04:43 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I am an IT professional and have no degree in biology/mycology.
My only qualification is three and a half decades of hunting and studying mushrooms, which of course is by no means able to replace a colorful certificate that you can put in a frame and hang on your wall.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Re: Regarding mycologist mods... [Re: elprawn]
    #13192810 - 09/14/10 04:44 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

elprawn said:
I'm pretty sure **** *********** is actually a mycologist and I've not seen anyone else here claiming to be.

Well, his knowledge is worthy of any mycologist, but he isn't one by profession, I think.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Regarding mycologist mods... [Re: elprawn]
    #13192820 - 09/14/10 04:52 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

A mycologist is someone who studies fungi regardless of whether or not they have qualifications so I consider myself an amateur mycologist because I study fungi, also, you don't need to be a professional mycologist to write scientific papers or even to publish descriptions of new species which I am in the process of doing, all you need is enough knowledge to accurately describe your findings and the tools to aid in the description plus another  mycologist who is qualified and willing to work with you.

Not many of the people here actually become seriously interested in mycology but I'm sure those who do are greatly rewarded by what they learn whether it is self taught or learned through an educational institution.
Happy mushrooming:cool:

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #13192927 - 09/14/10 06:19 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The mods claiming themselves as mycologists... brahs, for curiosity sake, are yall real mycologists?

An interesting question, mostly in the way it's phrased.

As inski pointed out, a mycologist is somebody that studies fungi. From that point of view, it's reasonable to say that most everybody in this forum is a mycologist.

Your phrasing seems to ask if any of us are professional mycologists, with university training and degrees and all that.

I am not, and I'm not aware of anybody that claims to be.

An obvious question back - why?

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleHerbBaker
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #13193004 - 09/14/10 07:10 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

The difference between an amateur and a professional mycologist is, one gets paid, the other doesn't.

Doesn't really say anything about ability.

InvisibleSWFL
Gettin' Better All The Time
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #13193061 - 09/14/10 07:35 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting thread, I don't think the OP was trying to undermine any of our TIs credibility. (although it kind of sounded that way) I myself have wondered this purely out of curiosity.

Another thing I am curious about is how often our TIs consult literature and internet sources in order to make IDs? It is hard for me to fathom ones knowledge of mycology being so vast as to be able make positive IDs on thousands of mushrooms simply based on photos and some vague descriptions.

To the OP, I will guarantee you one thing, regardless of paper merits some of these guys are unbelievable! Likely some of the most knowledgable mycologists on the planet.

--------------------
Listening to anything I say could be detrimental to your health-

Edited by SWFL (09/14/10 07:36 AM)

Offlinepsylosymonreturns
aka Gym Sporrison
Male

Loc: Mos Eisley,
Re: Regarding mycologist mods... [Re: SWFL]
    #13193190 - 09/14/10 08:28 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

getting paid to study mushrooms would be cool. :thumbup: sure beats swingin a hammer.

--------------------

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Re: Regarding mycologist mods... [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #13193195 - 09/14/10 08:30 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, indeed, it would. But I am quite sure my IT job pays better.

--------------------

Offlineeastshores
Mycophagist
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Regarding mycologist mods... [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #13193262 - 09/14/10 08:51 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I've always enjoyed the scientific aspect of hobbies that had a relevant field of study. My reef tank was probably the most rewarding, to have an actual functioning ecosystem and observe it was amazing.

With mycology, I am considering purchasing a microscope that I can capture digital images with. I have a lot to learn about the formal classification and identification process, but I have not found a single good source for regionally specific fungi in Florida. I've registered floridamushrooms.com and since I am a software developer by trade, I am planning to create a database to hold all of the relevant scientific information for fungi. I'll probably open source the definition for use in other systems, but for now I am focused on Florida.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #13194304 - 09/14/10 01:04 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mindexplorer said:
The mods claiming themselves as mycologists... brahs, for curiosity sake, are yall real mycologists?... as in completed at least an undergrad in myco or bio... if not gone to the tops of doctorate in mycology?

I don't know of anyone on this forum that gets paid to do mycology.

Most of us have chosen other professions because mycology does not pay well and there are few jobs in the field.  The jobs that do exist rarely involve hunting or identifying mushrooms.

I have heard that you can't really get a degree in mycology, you get a degree in biology and minor in mycology.

A couple colleges offer good classes in mushroom taxonomy but even there you will spend most of your time doing other stuff if you are going for a degree.

OfflineTransform
Myco-newb
Male

Re: Regarding mycologist mods... [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #13194473 - 09/14/10 01:46 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

It's typical that something which makes an excellent hobby either has few jobs involved, or doesn't involve the fun part of the hobby. I love fireworks, but pyrotechnicians aren't greatly paid and there aren't many jobs. It's much better for me to make a few in my shed as an enthusiast and go for something else as a professional.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

#13194481 - 09/14/10 01:48 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I'd be one unhappy chap if my mycologist activities were restricted to looking through the lense of a microscope most of the day. Walking through the forest  breathing the scent of fresh mycelium in the moist forest soil is what sets me off like a firecracker. I could do that all day long. I can't think of anything that makes me feel more alive.

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Regarding mycologist mods... [Re: Transform]
    #13194485 - 09/14/10 01:50 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I've done enough serious study and research to have earned a degree in mycology/microbiology.
But it wouldn't do me any good to have a piece of paper saying so. :shrug:

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Re: Regarding mycologist mods... [Re: Transform]
    #13194498 - 09/14/10 01:54 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

What we do have here in Germany is something that would translate as a "certified fungus expert". The German Mycological Society offers courses and exams. One of the things you'll do is write expertises on fungal damage and contamination in building structures, for example, but you will also be qualified to head forays and such.
That is a qualification that you can master no matter what profession you have and it can be quite a well paid second income for some if you are good.

--------------------

Offlineeastshores
Mycophagist
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Regarding mycologist mods... [Re: German Kahuna]
    #13194659 - 09/14/10 02:28 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

We have a program for plant pathology at one of the universities in Florida. I have a feeling they also do not go hunting for mushrooms, they probably spend their time trying to create pathogens to kill the fungi.

http://plantpath.ifas.ufl.edu/specialities/mycology/mycology.htm

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
    #13194725 - 09/14/10 02:41 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Alan said:
Quote:

I have heard that you can't really get a degree in mycology, you get a degree in biology and minor in mycology.

It would be a specialized program for sure. Maybe one of the big agricultural schools could offer such a thing.
Master's in Mycology and Mushroomonomy. :awesomenod:

Offlinecurenado
73rd Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: North Central Arkansas
Re: Regarding mycologist mods... [Re: Doc_T]
    #13194803 - 09/14/10 02:57 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Dr. Tom Volk has focused a lot on honey mushrooms - don't know what his primary is, but he is pretty well known mycologist in the US. Maybe google him and that may lead to the programs in his area? Perhaps a idea of how one structures studies to be in that position?
A fair question and tickled me how the bristles came up but one of the features here is definition - there are two guys in South AR studying slime molds and then there are guys like Alan R.
It's a bit like saying "Are you a Medicinologist?" - very broad field and specialty areas, and I think that is what usually defines the scientist.

--------------------
Yours in the Natural State Land of Enchantment!
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep; but I have patches to keep, and jars to sterilize before I sleep...."

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Loc: Tipping at windmills.
Re: Regarding mycologist mods... [Re: curenado]
    #13194950 - 09/14/10 03:33 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I just call myself an Amature Mycologist.  It stops the questions like "do you get paid" and "do you have a degree.".

They just think "Ah, he's a weirdo."  and then ask "will this get me high?"

--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract