Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineeVenom
DRIFT on toBATTLE
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Shiitake Grain Smell
    #13154157 - 09/06/10 07:54 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I am doing a lot of shiitake G2G transfers and I notice that when I do them I get really relaxed, sleepy and smell them even the day after the G2G session

I get so sleepy that I HAVE to take a nap afterwards. It feels like when you are coming down form cubes

do any of you experience the same thing? This does not happen with any other specie that I have worked with.

--------------------
eVenom

"Some of us like a nice buzz, while others want to climb a screaming volcano naked to meet god."
RR

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefungus_tao
Hah Zah!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: Shiitake Grain Smell [Re: eVenom]
    #13154228 - 09/06/10 08:31 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, I've had similar experiences :lol:

Not with shiitake, but with oysters. I think it's just being high on life. I've wondered if breathing the clean air from the laminar flow hood has something to do with it.

--------------------
Follow the light
The Light is your guide.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Shiitake Grain Smell [Re: fungus_tao]
    #13154393 - 09/06/10 09:47 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I don't get sleepy or anything but shiitake definitely has the best fragrance of any grain spawn.

In fact, in my opinion, it's also the best tasting mushroom.  I now prefer them to the morels that I have unlimited access to around here in June and July.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineeVenom
DRIFT on toBATTLE
Male User Gallery

Re: Shiitake Grain Smell [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13154461 - 09/06/10 10:09 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I am still in the waiting period for my shiitakes so I have yet to taste the ones that I am growing but I have tasted them elsewhere and liked them a lot!

I already have 16 supplemented sawdust&woodchips bags in various stages of colonization as I do 4 bags every week! some of them have really big bumps, mountains and valleys but no brown yet.

I have access to free Oak sawdust but the chips are a little hard to find. I was thinking if I could use straw instead of wood chips?

I tried only sawdust but it gets too compacted.
I also tried Fla Cypress Mulch but the texture is not uniform to my liking. If I get good results from it I might still use it.

--------------------
eVenom

"Some of us like a nice buzz, while others want to climb a screaming volcano naked to meet god."
RR

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #13154470 - 09/06/10 10:12 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I add up to 50% shredded and soaked straw to my supplemented sawdust, and then sterilize them together in filter patch bags.  I don't use woodchips any more with shiitake.  There seems to be too much problem with green molds when chips are added.

If you're going to use straw, test it on a few strains before you go big.  Some strains won't fruit on straw.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblesolarity
mm... my favourite food
 User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Shiitake Grain Smell [Re: fungus_tao]
    #13156054 - 09/06/10 04:41 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

fungus_tao said:
Yes, I've had similar experiences :lol:

Not with shiitake, but with oysters. I think it's just being high on life. I've wondered if breathing the clean air from the laminar flow hood has something to do with it.

Me too, I love the smell of oyster myc and it repeats on me for days, even when there are none about. Great!

--------------------
Commercial exotics farmer for 8 years - now sold up!

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: Shiitake Grain Smell [Re: solarity]
    #13156337 - 09/06/10 05:40 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I just like the smell of mushroom spawn period.

I can't resist smelling it every time I have a chance.

-GRaham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

InvisibleFoxFire
Energized Matter
Male User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Shiitake Grain Smell [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #13157776 - 09/06/10 11:33 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I agree, except for Enoki...  They smell like a barn.
Not really offensive, just not that pleasant mushroomy smell the others have. :shrug:

--------------------
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better.  It's not.

InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Shroomshire Flag
Re: Shiitake Grain Smell [Re: FoxFire]
    #13160443 - 09/07/10 03:55 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Anyone know if Shitake 75 likes straw at all?

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Shiitake Grain Smell [Re: Base Icks]
    #13160472 - 09/07/10 04:00 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

They will fruit from rice hulls mixed with rice bran and oak sawdust!!  I shredded up a bale yesterday and am going to do some experimentation with the 75 and my own . I think I am going to start with straw, alder sawdust and soy waste.

Lipa

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #13160523 - 09/07/10 04:08 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I add up to 50% shredded and soaked straw to my supplemented sawdust, and then sterilize them together in filter patch bags.  I don't use woodchips any more with shiitake.  There seems to be too much problem with green molds when chips are added.

I'm a little confused with this. Is he stating that he makes up his sawdust mixture and then cuts it with 50% straw after the fact? If so what is the make up of the sawdust/supplement formulation? I have read through the mushroom growers handbook about this. I was under the impression that the supplemented straw meant that the straw was inoculated with a formulated and pre-colonized supplemented spawn mixture like say......sawdust with a heavy supplement like 40%bran or such.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Shiitake Grain Smell [Re: lipa]
    #13160663 - 09/07/10 04:28 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I add the rice bran and gypsum to the dry sawdust, and then turn on the mixer.  I prepare 200 pounds of shiitake substrate daily, using a cement mixer.  Once the gypsum, bran, and sawdust are mixed, I add the shredded, pre-moistened straw.  I always shred the straw the day before, and leave it to soak in a 55 gallon drum overnight.  When the dry sawdust mix and the wet straw have combined, I begin adding water to get to the correct moisture content, before loading into filter patch bags and sterilizing.

The jury is still out in my book on using straw with shiitake.  I have two dozen shiitake strains and I'm currently running tests with a variety of substrates on all of them.  Straw seems to have a slightly higher BE when used with the 75 strain than sawdust, but it also requires a larger substrate, therefore takes up more precious dry room and fruiting room real estate.  I've found a mix of sawdust and straw works better, but so far, I feel I'm getting more product in less time from the same space. . .when using only sawdust, and leaving the straw out.  I'll know for sure in a few months.

One thing these strain tests have done is show me how important strain selection is.  I have little control over my environmental conditions, since I built the below ground mushroom house to require little heat and no cooling.  I now need to find strains that like to fruit in the 60F range during the daytime, and 50F to 55F at night.  Shiitake 75 is the best so far, delivering a bit over 100% BE on first flush, provided I leave it in the dry room in spawn bags for three to four full months.  This lets the mycelium digest most of the substrate, and it then explodes into a massive flush.  Using this method, I do one flush and out, immediately replacing a spent block with a fresh one.  The spent blocks go to Mrs Rabbits garden area, where they fruit again later, but not nearly as prolific as the first flush.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
    #13160724 - 09/07/10 04:40 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you very much roger for the clarification. I gives me something to go by. If I succeed using other supplements with the straw and sawdust I will be sure to post them.

Lipa

InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shiitake Grain Smell [Re: lipa]
    #13160913 - 09/07/10 05:13 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Any sort of percentages to go off of? My S75 is just starting in rye jars atm. I have straw gypsum, and I'm getting hardwood sawdust soon.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #13161799 - 09/07/10 08:05 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

You don't want to heavily supplement 75 or it will produce mutants.  For every 10 five pound spawn bags, I use two cups of gypsum and three cups of the rice bran for horses pictured below.  It outperforms wheat or oat bran, possibly because it has mineral supplements added.  I also toss in the spent coffee grinds from our morning coffee, but there's so little of them it probably doesn't make much difference.

I inoculate each five pound bag with 3/4 quart of grain spawn, so they get a lot of supplementation from that.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

InvisibleBase Icks
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13161892 - 09/07/10 08:19 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I might be able to just fit a 5lb bag in my pc. It would have to be down in the water a bit, but still on the trivet so its off of the bottom.

Wheat bran is the only bran I could find by the sack. Rice bran is hard to come by here. Its not grown here, so its not "native" agricultural by-product.

So say I did your recipe(just scaled down)

If i used straw is it half straw and half sawdust? Then the two cups gypsum, 3 cups bran, is that about right?

Invisiblelipa

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Shiitake Grain Smell [Re: Base Icks] * 1
    #13162304 - 09/07/10 09:25 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Just use 1/3 cup of bran and 1/5 of a cup of gypsum. fill your bag half full of sawdust mix with your supplements and then wet it to capacity. After you have that add enough straw to get the bag to weight. That should get you close.

Lipa

OfflineeVenom
DRIFT on toBATTLE
Male User Gallery

#13162317 - 09/07/10 09:27 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I am way off in my recipe since I use that same rice bran but I use the recipe from your DVD

2 spawn bags:

16cups of sawdust
8cups of woodchips
2 cups of bran
1 cup of gypsum
around 6 cups of water just under field capasity

and inoculate with 3/4 cups of spawn

if I am reading your post correctly I am adding more than 3 times your recommended amount

so for 2 spawn bags should I be using

16cups Sawdust
8cups straw or woodchips
2/3cups rice bran
1/2cups gypsum

the first time I did the bags I only used sawdust but felt like the bags got too compacted. I might try it again tomorrow when I get my 2nd batch for the week

--------------------
eVenom

RR

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #13162376 - 09/07/10 09:37 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, cut down on the bran, especially if you're growing the 75 strain.  Use the recipe in Let's Grow Mushrooms for other wood lovers such as reishi, lion's mane, oyster, nameko, etc.  You want it quite a bit below field capacity for shiitake 75.  If you can squeeze even one drop out, it's too wet.

Shiitake strains are all completely different animals.  I have some that won't fruit indoors, but move them outside in similar temperatures and they fruit fine.  Others prefer Alder, while still others won't fruit on Alder, but love Douglas fir. :shrug:
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineeVenom
DRIFT on toBATTLE
Male User Gallery

#13162562 - 09/07/10 10:07 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

75 is the one I am using. Here is a pic of one that is 4 weeks old.

Hopefully it will fruit.

--------------------
eVenom

RR

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract