Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineKaydren
Mystic Hunter
 User Gallery
My First Bulk Grow: Not Pinning- Done Incorrectly, or Mildly Impatient?
    #13073431 - 08/19/10 12:17 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Hello fellow Shroomerites!

It's been awhile since I posted here, I've spent most of my time lurking around and reading up on new techniques, etc.  I came to the conclusion that bulk growing was the way to go, after my PF Tek/ 50/50+ Casings didn't yield as much as I was looking for...  So here's some background and my question:

I used Cambodian as my strain of choice, colonized WBS, then spawned to a 60/40 h-poo coir/verm/coffee substrate, and let that colonize fully in two 66 quart Monotubs, a la Ohmatics Tek, and then decided since I was sort of trying to do the least amount of work possible for a bulk grow by neglecting them- i.e. No Fanning/Misting, just letting Polyfill provide FAE- I decided to fruit them uncased to lessen the possibility of contams...

They've now been in fruiting conditions for ~5 days, and I see no change in them, at all.  I'm not sure if my strain is slow to fruit, or if I need more FAE, or colder conditions to shock them.  So I'm just asking if I'm being impatient, or if I'm doing something incorrectly. Sorry for the quality of the pics :rolleyes:

This is the top tub in the stack.

And this is the bottom one.  Both of them look like they have the humidity I need, and they're fully colonized without any contams.

The two tubs stacked- as you can see, the top one has a pool of water under the black trashbag... I've heard that means the substrate was too wet to begin with? But my other one didn't do that, and they're both looking good IMO.

These two next pics are of extra substrate/experimental manual FAE minitub, with the same issue.

I feel my Polyfill might be too tight, so I removed some of its mass, and the temps in my grow room are hard to stabilize this time of year, so it fluctuates from 72-80 depending on the day, etc

Any ideas, guys?  Thanks for the input ahead of time!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: South
Re: My First Bulk Grow: Not Pinning- Done Incorrectly, or Mildly Impatient? [Re: Kaydren]
    #13073437 - 08/19/10 12:17 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

looks great. just more time and air.

--------------------
IF A CAT AND DOG CAN GET ALONG WHY CANT EVERYONE ELSE?
If the sky is falling, don't look up!  :abduction:

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: My First Bulk Grow: Not Pinning- Done Incorrectly, or Mildly Impatient? [Re: feelfunny]
    #13073470 - 08/19/10 12:25 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

They've now been in fruiting conditions for ~5 days

Wait moar. And/or fan moar.

Quote:

The two tubs stacked- as you can see, the top one has a pool of water under the black trashbag... I've heard that means the substrate was too wet to begin with? But my other one didn't do that, and they're both looking good IMO.

Sometimes the top tub gets hot because it's sitting on the bottom tub- tubs generate a lot of heat and unlike jars, they don't dissipate it very well.
So sometimes you get different condensation or whatever. I try to stagger tubs during colonization.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineKaydren
Mystic Hunter
 User Gallery
Re: My First Bulk Grow: Not Pinning- Done Incorrectly, or Mildly Impatient? [Re: feelfunny]
    #13073478 - 08/19/10 12:27 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I have a box fan running 24/7 in my room to provide air movement, but is that enough? Or does my Polyfill look too bulky?

Also, will that pool of water harbor too many contams? Should I dump it now, or just wait it out because the mycelium is strong enough at this point?

How many days should I let it do this before I should be expecting pin pr0n? :smile:

Whoops, I didn't see the update above before I posted.

--------------------
----I excel in not giving a shit...

Edited by Kaydren (08/19/10 12:27 PM)

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My First Bulk Grow: Not Pinning- Done Incorrectly, or Mildly Impatient? [Re: Kaydren]
    #13073487 - 08/19/10 12:28 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Box fan is good- can you loosen the poly just a tiny, tiny bit? Adjust it just a smidge, you're close to where you need to be.

--------------------

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13073488 - 08/19/10 12:28 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

averag time is 7-14 days. but thats not set in stone. and pools of water can become a problem if they stay around to long

--------------------

Feel Family Founder. :pm: me if you are tired of hearing, "Use the search function".

OfflineKaydren
Mystic Hunter
 User Gallery
    #13073542 - 08/19/10 12:43 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

So really, its just time that I am waiting for, eh? :P

I know its a noobie question, but is there any way to possible forcibly induce pinning, besides using a time machine? haha

On the topic of fanning, is it really necessary in this sort of setup? I was under the assumption with Monotubs (and correct hole placement) it did it's own climate control.  Should I open, fan, mist, and put on wax paper as a pseudo-casing layer in the tubs, thus creating a microclimate that pins might like??

And should I dump that water now, or just deal with it once the first flush is over?

Things are on the right track then it seems.  I thought so, I was just a bit confused. I was just getting nervous because I'm going to have to move them in about a weeks time to another location...  Any tips on that?  Will traveling be bad for them? Its almost unavoidable..

Thanks again for the fast responses!

--------------------

Invisiblefeelfunny
I am you
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13073561 - 08/19/10 12:49 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

trama or contam can induse pinning neather i would recomend lol. monos done right do not need faning. haveing said sometimes the most well built FC can still need a little help on stuborn projects. this one is one of mine sometime i need to fan sometimes not.fanned
didnt fan
and fanned that. all same tub just some werent coropertaing as well as others

--------------------

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Loc: A tree house
Trusted Cultivator
    #13073628 - 08/19/10 01:07 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

FF is back. Great pics as always :super:

--------------------

You have to die a few times before you can really live.

-Charles Bukowski-

OfflineKaydren
Mystic Hunter
 User Gallery
    #13073741 - 08/19/10 01:31 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Wow, thanks for the pics, helpful comparison.

Just a question though- once I start the manual fanning/misting though (if I decide to go that route), am I going to have to keep up with it as if it was just a standard FC as opposed to a Monotub, or can I fan/mist for a few days until I see pins, then spray it heavily and return it to neglect mode?

That will help me decide if I should bother to try and mist/fan, or just let it have some more time before I start trying to coerce the little pinheads out of my sub..  If it reverts to being a "manual FC", then doing that makes my simplistic style of FC rather moot, you know?

--------------------

InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #13073763 - 08/19/10 01:36 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Answer to that is "wait and see". More air = more pins.

--------------------

OfflineKaydren
Mystic Hunter
 User Gallery
    #13073772 - 08/19/10 01:37 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Haha, true that.  I'll stop worrying for now. Thanks, Doc.

--------------------

Offlinear1es
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

#13074712 - 08/19/10 04:33 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i thought a casing layer was needed in the mono tubs to keep the humidity where it needs to be to get pinning. am i wrong?

about to do a similar grow in a few days when my jars are 100%

--------------------
":mushroom2:here is nothing lost or wasted in this life.” - Bhagavad Gita

InvisibleLeopardMan
Constantly changing
Male

Loc: A tree house
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My First Bulk Grow: Not Pinning- Done Incorrectly, or Mildly Impatient? [Re: ar1es]
    #13076966 - 08/20/10 02:14 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ar1es said:
i thought a casing layer was needed in the mono tubs to keep the humidity where it needs to be to get pinning. am i wrong?

Yes, it's not needed. It could be useful though if your ambient humidity is very low.

--------------------

You have to die a few times before you can really live.

-Charles Bukowski-

OfflineMycopath666
Stranger
Male
    #17399382 - 12/15/12 11:32 PM (11 years, 3 months ago)

h

OfflineJcoonan
Stranger

Re: My First Bulk Grow: Not Pinning- Done Incorrectly, or Mildly Impatient? [Re: Mycopath666]
    #17400135 - 12/16/12 06:16 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

Fan and wait on that hoe, you're looking good bro. You'll have 3/4lb in no time :wink:

--------------------
:awecid::awecid:

Disclaimer: All posts by this user are fictious and outright forgeries of posts and pictures found elsewhere on the Internet. Do not heed any advice or suggestions as they are baseless and without merit. All posts are for entertainment and entertainment alone and should not be confused for fact or truth.

InvisibleSpitballJedi
Ancient Astronaut
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nibiru Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: My First Bulk Grow: Not Pinning- Done Incorrectly, or Mildly Impatient? [Re: Jcoonan]
    #17400152 - 12/16/12 06:27 AM (11 years, 3 months ago)

2 year old thread

--------------------
The Basics
A little civility goes a long way

The Noob Forum
The Hammock Hangers' Forum

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds