Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinecorallus88
That One Guy
Male

Loc: Illinois
lipstick mold problem. could use expert advice.
    #13051154 - 08/14/10 03:20 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

ok, so ive been having a problem with lipstick mold in my monotubs. i will list my procedures step by step in the hopes someone can say "no! dont do that"

my sub is coir/gypsum/verm. 8qts coir, 1qt gypsum, 1qt verm, 4qts water.

alright, i boil the water, add the gypsum and stir it in, wait til it boils a little, then pour over the coir and verm in a 5gal bucket. i usually end up letting it sit til the next day.

i prepare my tub, wash it out well, wipe down with alcohol, get my garbage bag in there, wipe it down as well.

ok, when i dig my spawn out of the jars, ive been using a spoon wiped with alcohol, ive been told i should flame it, i will in the future.
i try to wear a bandana around my face so i dont breath all over everything while im doing this, but i do it all on my kitchen table after its been wiped down and the room ousted. i started layering my spawn with the last tub, so in any case, it all gets put together.

i then put it in the closet of the spare room which stays around 80 degrees. i let sit for 2 weeks, it always looks done by this point. i use a decent ratio when spawning. now this is something ive been wondering too: i get A LOT of condensation, and even if i dont touch the tub, it drips onto the sub, creating puddles and such. what im wondering is, should i maybe not tape my trash bag to the sides, and let the water go to waste down sides and under the liner? i soak up a lot anyway, and it seems like after i take a paper towel to the myc, it starts to yellow real bad. which ive read is a sign of being too hot, but i fruit the tub in the ac.? its usually about a week later i start finding red dots here and there. so theres that. sorry its so long but im desperate to stop this from happening. i was reading an alternate way to pasteurize coir. basically it was heat water in pot, add coir and verm, put lid on pot, turn up to high for 5 minutes, then dump it all in a bucket and top it. but it doesnt seem like it would be a lot better than what im doing now. idk. i thank you for reading my post. and any suggestions will be considered. thanks.

--------------------
every post i make is a pathetic expression of my desires to be something im not. im nothing but a liar.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity; when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."
    - Robert Pirsig (1948-)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: lipstick mold problem. could use expert advice. [Re: corallus88]
    #13051230 - 08/14/10 03:47 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

First, that's not a valid method of pasteurization.  You want to hydrate the substrate and then heat it to 140F to 160F for an hour, being careful to stay below 160F.

Second, don't scoop spawn out with a spoon.  Bang the jar against a tire or phone book, etc., to break up the grains.  Then, you can pour them out like sand.  The spoon cuts some of the grains in half, exposing uncolonized parts to contaminants.

Third, 80F is too hot for bulk substrates.  The mycelium will heat up at least ten degrees, and 90F is WAY too hot.  This is also the reason for your condensation.  It's warmer on the inside of the tub than the 80F on the outside.

Generally, when a substrate contaminates prior to first flush, it's the spawn at fault.  I suspect the biggest culprit is using the spoon, sterilized or not.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleanonjon
Partially Right

Re: lipstick mold problem. could use expert advice. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13051258 - 08/14/10 03:56 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

One problem is that you're in a closet. Closets are great for growing mold. How are you delivering fresh air?

Lipstick mold is not a very common issue. Sounds like your air might be stagnant.

or are u just colonizing in the closet and fruiting in the spare room?

Also u r correct about letting the excess moisture run under the liner. That's the whole point of using a liner, regulating the moisture in the substrate.

--------------------
The above post is fictional, hypothetical, or downright nonsensical.

:moon:  :moon:  :moon:  :moon:    :moon:

Edited by anonjon (08/14/10 03:58 PM)

OfflineMaharishi_2_U
Opt Out Super Fag
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Streets Flag
Re: lipstick mold problem. could use expert advice. [Re: anonjon]
    #13051313 - 08/14/10 04:08 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

First, that's not a valid method of pasteurization.  You want to hydrate the substrate and then heat it to 140F to 160F for an hour, being careful to stay below 160F
this intrigues me RR.
I am considering using "the elementary coir tek".  I have seen decent results posted using this tek.  Would it be in my best interest to hydrate the CCV first, then hold in the oven @ 155?
Thanks for any response

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: lipstick mold problem. could use expert advice. [Re: corallus88]
    #13051360 - 08/14/10 04:22 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I suspect the biggest culprit is using the spoon, sterilized or not.
RR

This.  As well as coupled with the high heat you incubate your trays at you are going to get infection every time.  Trays act like broken up grain spawn.  They recover quickly and don't need higher temperatures to encourage the myce to run quickly.  The myce recovers so quickly it builds it's own body heat up to 10 degrees higher than ambient temperatures at the core of the substrate.  Do not to exceed 75 degrees ferinheight from inoculation all the way into fruiting as an incubation temperature, as well as, be sure to take proper provisions to sterility when preparing your substrate.

To add about lipstick mold.  I have battled with this faggot mold.  It is uncommon as stated previously and is a bitch to get rid of.  Cleaning out your entire grow chamber/area is essential in eliminating this mold.  Lipstick mold feeds of specific fatty acids of the composts.  Problems with lipstick mold are centered around sterility, also pointed out above.
LM

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Offlinecorallus88
That One Guy
Male

Loc: Illinois
Re: lipstick mold problem. could use expert advice. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #13051377 - 08/14/10 04:26 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

excellent responses, thank you. and to answer back, i only incubate in the closet, which i will not do anymore, im set up now where i can find another suitable place. and the explanation on the spoon: thank you. the jars i have right now are probably "over colonized" cant see the grains anymore, im hoping that i can still break them up w/o the spoon. would someone be willing to post a link to info on pasteurizing coir not using the bucket and boiling water method? i search and thats about all i get.
im confident that the spoon is the issue. i feel very confident in my grain prep and innoc procedures. thank you everyone, i feel much better now.

--------------------
every post i make is a pathetic expression of my desires to be something im not. im nothing but a liar.

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity; when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."
    - Robert Pirsig (1948-)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder