Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

To wait or not invitro pinning?
    #1302032 - 02/12/03 08:00 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I have a few jars that are mega colonized. The PF tek states to wait until invitro pinning occurs before birthing. Does this really make a difference? You experience appreciated :smile: 

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshroominbloom
i have arrived

Re: To wait or not invitro pinning? [Re: ]
    #1302069 - 02/12/03 08:15 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

In my experience, it makes no difference. Keep in mind that I have only completed one flush with cakes (I cased them after the first flush, they are about to form primordia now). This is my first grow, but casing is easy and I've had great results so far so I figured why use cakes when casings will be better. Anyway, once my jars were 100% colonized, I waited about 5 days to make sure the middle was colonized. I then birthed the jars into fruiting chambers with perlite for humidity. I waited about 5 days for primordia, then another 2 for pins, and then I had mature fruits about 4 days after that. So it was about 11 days.

If you wait for in-vitro pins, you will cut out the time that it takes for primordia to form, thus making the whole process "quicker." If you think about it, however, there really isn't too much of an advantage since either way, you're waiting. The one advantage I can think of for in-vitro pinning is regarding contamination. First, the jars are not in open (fruiting chamber) air, so there is less of a chance for contams; second, the chance of cross-contamination (cake to cake) is wildly decreased while they are still in their jars.

I like(d) to birth my jars 5 days after 100% visual colonization. (I say liked because I will no longer use the PF Tek. I started a grow about 6 days ago with WBS and I'm now seeing strong rhizomorphic growth . . . PF Tek is over and done with for me.)

--------------------
ha

OfflineAngry Mycologist
Spontaneouslycombusting

Loc: Galapagos
Re: To wait or not invitro pinning? [Re: ]
    #1302743 - 02/12/03 12:46 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

It has never made a difference for me. I could see why you may want to birth at the first sign of pins, but I haven't experienced any trouble with birthing early.

EDIT: Plural....singular......there's a difference?

--------------------
The proper penalty of ignorance, which is of course that those who don't know should learn from those who do... - Plato

Edited by Angry Mycologist (02/12/03 12:57 PM)

OfflineMycotopian
Mycotopian

Re: To wait or not invitro pinning? [Re: Angry Mycologist]
    #1302752 - 02/12/03 12:49 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I say wait for pins. I believe you get a better first flush by doing this, at least that has been my experience.

--------------------
"Hockey is a sport for white men. Basketball is a sport for black men. Golf is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder