Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinesubiedude
SUBIE!!!
 User Gallery

Loc: Colorado
I'd like to buy a boat, advise?
    #12985373 - 08/01/10 02:15 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I don't have a lot of knowledge on boating yet, ill be doing a lot of research. Maybe some of you can guide me in the right direction. I'd like something that fits 4-5 people. I would like to take up skiing and tubing. Money is a factor, I'd like to stay under 10k. I live by the great lakes so time on the water will be restricted to a few months of the year. Anyway, like I said, i have to do some research but maybe some of you can push me in the right direction. Input on good brands, new or used, maintenance, etc...  that would be helpful, thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Down the rabbit hole...
Re: I'd like to buy a boat, advise? [Re: subiedude]
    #12985402 - 08/01/10 02:22 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

You should go to a place wheres there's someone who sells boats for a living and tell him just what you said... Sheese seriously man you just asked the druggies on shroomery for boat advice.
lmao

OfflineChubba
Vape hungry

Re: I'd like to buy a boat, advise? [Re: Cubie] * 1
    #12985538 - 08/01/10 02:49 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

You should go to a place wheres there's someone who sells boats for a living and tell him just what you said... Sheese seriously man you just asked the druggies on shroomery for boat advice.
lmao

No need to be a dick.

IMO, don't go to a boat yard. Provided you have someone with boat knowledge, you will get a significantly better deal in the private market.

Have a chat with them, get to know their situation.

The best deals can be found when a private seller is short on cash and is looking for a quick sale, which is VERY common, a boat is a luxury and is often the first thing to go.

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: I'd like to buy a boat, advise? [Re: Chubba]
    #12985545 - 08/01/10 02:51 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

in b4 "i'm on a boat"

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I'd like to buy a boat, advise? [Re: truekimbo2]
    #12985584 - 08/01/10 03:00 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Wasn't really meaning to be a dick, just though it was funny.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: I'd like to buy a boat, advise? [Re: Cubie]
    #12985592 - 08/01/10 03:03 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Why is it funny? People ask all kinds of weird questions here. This is just about buying a boat.
Why.. I bet there are at least 5 boat experts logged on right now!

--------------------

OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I'd like to buy a boat, advise? [Re: Shroomism]
    #12985612 - 08/01/10 03:07 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I dunno man at the moment in time it made me laugh. Sorry.

Offlineliterberry
 User Gallery

#12985673 - 08/01/10 03:24 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I have bought 3 boats in my time. They were in need of a little TLC, but I got good deals on them. Check area shoppers and such. Private sellers are the best way to go. Test drive is a MUST.

Boat brand is up to you but I prefer inboard/outboard setup. Anything Mercruiser or OMC are pretty reliable. Same with Cobra outdrives. Research is the key to finding that diamond in the rough, and not overpaying.

OfflineIslandShroomer
The Other One
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: I'd like to buy a boat, advise? [Re: literberry]
    #12985721 - 08/01/10 03:35 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

What's the saying?

Somewhere along the lines of...... The 2nd best day of your life is when you buy your boat; the best day of your life is when you sell the bitch (the boat, not your spouse lol) !

Offlinelateforthafuture
fanatic
 User Gallery

#12985809 - 08/01/10 03:59 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

You still looking for that boat maybe I can help a little. First off you should look at the many diffrent styles of boats bowriders, center consoles, cuddy cabins, etc. See which one you like but from what it sounds like a bowrider would be what your looking for it's open in the front and you can have people seated in the front or back. there are alot of factors involved so research is key. Two of the most important factors are do you have something to tow the thing and somewhere to store it? If you answered yes to both those then move forward if not you may want to re think your situiation. also I wouldnt go off the deep end and drop $10k on your first boat you can get a really nice used boat for around $3-5K if you know what your looking for and looking in the right place. Test drive and have it looked at by a certified marine technician not involved or recomended by the seller. If they have a used boat well maintained they should be proud to have someone look at it.  As for manufactures there are to many to list but you can find some older bayliner capri open bows for a good price, I personally like the older four winns late 80's early 90's for a well maintained one maybe a little more expensive than other used boats that year and relative size but they are nice boats. also sunbirds are nice and simple and if you can find a well maitained one for a good price it's a good buy. Too much to list and talk about if you more questoins I'd be happy to answer or help you find the answer. I'm not a boat owner but my family was growing up and I have many friends that are boat and jetski owners and am frequently on them  so I can probably answer some of your questoins good luck.

--------------------
"Not what could have been, or what should have been, but what will be" -Self
:superbanana::mjdance::dancer:

OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I'd like to buy a boat, advise? [Re: lateforthafuture]
    #12985866 - 08/01/10 04:15 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

holy shit.....

OfflineGr8fulJ420
strange but nota stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: 0 moco
    #12985872 - 08/01/10 04:16 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

the two happiest days in a man's life are:

1- the day he buys a boat
2- the day he sells the boat

Offlinesubiedude
SUBIE!!!
 User Gallery

Loc: Colorado
Re: I'd like to buy a boat, advise? [Re: lateforthafuture]
    #12986013 - 08/01/10 04:49 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

lateforthafuture said:
You still looking for that boat maybe I can help a little. First off you should look at the many diffrent styles of boats bowriders, center consoles, cuddy cabins, etc. See which one you like but from what it sounds like a bowrider would be what your looking for it's open in the front and you can have people seated in the front or back. there are alot of factors involved so research is key. Two of the most important factors are do you have something to tow the thing and somewhere to store it? If you answered yes to both those then move forward if not you may want to re think your situiation. also I wouldnt go off the deep end and drop $10k on your first boat you can get a really nice used boat for around $3-5K if you know what your looking for and looking in the right place. Test drive and have it looked at by a certified marine technician not involved or recomended by the seller. If they have a used boat well maintained they should be proud to have someone look at it.  As for manufactures there are to many to list but you can find some older bayliner capri open bows for a good price, I personally like the older four winns late 80's early 90's for a well maintained one maybe a little more expensive than other used boats that year and relative size but they are nice boats. also sunbirds are nice and simple and if you can find a well maitained one for a good price it's a good buy. Too much to list and talk about if you more questoins I'd be happy to answer or help you find the answer. I'm not a boat owner but my family was growing up and I have many friends that are boat and jetski owners and am frequently on them  so I can probably answer some of your questoins good luck.

thank you, you gave a lot of good information. I appreciate it:mushroom2: i've heard a lot of sayings like boats stand for
bust
out
another
thousand
sucker
but i would really like to have a summer hobby for my family next summer. I'll keep what you said in mind while im researching. 5 :mushroom2: for you

OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #12986084 - 08/01/10 05:07 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

You should build a boat.

OfflineAkira
CosmicConsciousness
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hay Un Mundo Mas Alla
Re: I'd like to buy a boat, advise? [Re: Gr8fulJ420]
    #12986094 - 08/01/10 05:11 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I work in the marine industry. Have been working with boats and Yachts the past few years, so im basically on a different boat everyday doing all type of work.

Since your going to to skiing and tubing id go for fiberglass of course, no metal.

If you wan to fit 4-5 people comfortably you are looking at a 24ft minimum at least. For under 10,000 your going to have to buy something from the 80's-90's.

Are you going to be fishing? Well regardless you seem like you want your boat to hang with friends so I suggest an open fishermen type boat for the space.

As far as cabins, that changes everything. You want to stay simple, so cabin is unecessary. You can get an open fisherman with a nice center console that also works as a mini cabin. Look into that, a small cabin comes in handy (rolling joints, changing, peeing, sex, lol.)

The engine is important. Dont even consider inboard engines. They can be a hastle. Outboards are the way to go to stay economical and simple in the long run with maintanecne.

Mercury and Yamaha are the leading competitors. For under 10,000 you will probably be looking at single engine powered boats. Twin engines is so much better and safer, but you say your going on a lake right? I live in Florida, when your out at open sea have an extra engine incase one fails is important.

Speed will be important for you I assume because you want to water skii and tube. on a 24ft (give or take a few feet) you want to run a 150-200 HP to really get some power out of that mofo. Anything below 115 will make you cry tears of boredom on a boat that size.

If you have 50,000 - 100,000 to tghrow you can just skip all this and get a Contender or an Interprid, Wouldnt that be nice,

Well I dunno what else to say write now. Let me know what you get or questions or whatever.

--------------------

Orissa India Bulk Grow (Tub Tek)
Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek

"Our intention is our eternal fingerprint in the universe."

We know that God is good, and so are hamburgers and hot dogs. We know that hamburgers and hot dogs definitely do exist, so then by deduction of logic God too must also exist. Hamburgers + Hot dogs = God.... Duh

OfflineCubie
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: I'd like to buy a boat, advise? [Re: Akira]
    #12986110 - 08/01/10 05:14 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

well goddamn who would have guessed, shroomerites = boat experts.

OfflineAkira
CosmicConsciousness
Male User Gallery

Loc: Hay Un Mundo Mas Alla
    #12986140 - 08/01/10 05:20 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Cubie said:
lmao

LOL..

We do have jobs outside of the Shroomery forum you know.  :shrug:

--------------------

Orissa India Bulk Grow (Tub Tek)
Bulk Steamer Pasteurizer Tek

"Our intention is our eternal fingerprint in the universe."

We know that God is good, and so are hamburgers and hot dogs. We know that hamburgers and hot dogs definitely do exist, so then by deduction of logic God too must also exist. Hamburgers + Hot dogs = God.... Duh

Offlinelateforthafuture
fanatic
 User Gallery

#12986207 - 08/01/10 05:34 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Anytime, boating and fishing are one of my passions. one option you should look into is try and find places that rent boats in your area, this way you can try diffrent sizes and styles before you purchase. I know someone  else said you need a 24ft minimum for 4-5 people but not in my experience 24ft is a good size boat. I've been on MANY MANY MANY 17-20ft bowrider,open bow,ski boats,pontoon boats,etc etc etc. that fit 4-6 people comftorably with coolers etc. if you want to go tubing/sking that stuff takes up space on the boat thats where cabins come in handy in that case you may want at least 20ft of larger. Just keep looking and make sure you got something to tow that sucker you dont want to get stuck at the boat launch cause your little truck cant pull that big boat out the water.

--------------------
"Not what could have been, or what should have been, but what will be" -Self
:superbanana::mjdance::dancer:

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #12986278 - 08/01/10 05:46 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

That's why I thought your original comment was hilarious.. you think it's just a bunch of drug addicts here.. we have physicists and shit goddamnit!

--------------------

InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Re: I'd like to buy a boat, advise? [Re: Akira]
    #12986280 - 08/01/10 05:47 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Akira said:
If you wan to fit 4-5 people comfortably you are looking at a 24ft minimum at least. For under 10,000 your going to have to buy something from the 80's-90's.

my 20 footer seats 4 comfortably, a bow rider will generally seat 8,
larger is sometimes better but then you have to consider the tow
vehicle, a 24' boat will require more truck to pull it especially if the
hull is laid thick

Quote:

As far as cabins, that changes everything. You want to stay simple, so cabin is unecessary. You can get an open fisherman with a nice center console that also works as a mini cabin. Look into that, a small cabin comes in handy (rolling joints, changing, peeing, sex, lol.)

no clue about a boat where you'll keep the bow open and still have a
cabin, min has a small cabin, you might be able to have sex, roll a
joint but for the most part it's nothing but stowage with low overhead

Quote:

The engine is important. Dont even consider inboard engines. They can be a hastle. Outboards are the way to go to stay economical and simple in the long run with maintanecne.

depends on the boat, there's plenty of great outboards out there but the
transom is the problem when it comes to something stout enough to have
fun, skiing and the like isnt going to be managed well for under 100hp
which is a lot of weight to hand from a piece of plywood and fiberglass,
I have an inboard with plenty of room to get to everything, it's a 350
magnum from mercury, it's draw back is the Alpha 1 stern drive, it's not
suitable for the power of the engine but because I'm not hanging 500lbs
off the back I dont have to worry much about the engine dropping into
the water

for the OP, dont limit yourself to a boat, look into wetbikes as well, they have plenty of power for skiing, half the length and weight, water craft require a lot of maintenance to start the season and regular maintenance through out the season,  it's a great way to cut your teeth

if you're insistant on a boat, shop around and do it in the cooler weather, as winter comes the prices tend to drop

Glastron Carlson CSS19, it's a purpose built ski boat that's fast and
fun and isnt a huge pain to work on, the great part is you can get them
for a couple grand that need a little work or spend $15000 on one in
good shape

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates