Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAmbient Forest
Beyond the infinite.
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Lighter for Vaporizer?
    #12949024 - 07/25/10 08:42 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I vaporize with a VG (Vapor Genie), and enjoy vaping quite regularly :bigweed: burning a constant flame to heat the VG up takes its toll & ensures regular new lighter purchases.

To try and prevent getting caught out with empty lighters & having to venture to the nearest servo for a new one I've decided its time to step up and get a decent refillable lighter (preferably having a flame burning from the side of the lighter not the top, making it easer to use with a VG)(Quality is a must, price is not a problem)

If you have any experience with a VG or you just have a recommendation for a good refillable lighter I would love to hear it :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleGr33nTree73
 User Gallery

Loc: Rochester, NY Flag
Re: Lighter for Vaporizer? [Re: Ambient Forest] * 1
    #12949039 - 07/25/10 08:49 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I've had a few VGs and I always like using a hemp wick, like beeline

InvisibleAtheist
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Lighter for Vaporizer? [Re: Gr33nTree73] * 1
    #12949213 - 07/25/10 10:31 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Gr33nTree73 said:

beeline is the BEST way to smoke weed

OfflineRocker232
Stranger

Re: Lighter for Vaporizer? [Re: Atheist]
    #12949643 - 07/25/10 12:42 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I hate the Vapor Genie. After months I still cannot 100% of the time not burn the weed. I like my Vapor Bros much better and hit a bag vape the other day that wowed me.

--------------------
With Allure I Look to the Sky With Awakened Eyes

InvisibleGr33nTree73
 User Gallery

Re: Lighter for Vaporizer? [Re: Rocker232]
    #12950577 - 07/25/10 04:13 PM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Rocker232 said:
I hate the Vapor Genie. After months I still cannot 100% of the time not burn the weed. I like my Vapor Bros much better and hit a bag vape the other day that wowed me.

Be patient while it heats up, keep the flame further away from the filter, that's the only reason it's burning.  And if you've burned it once or more then it's likely the filter is also beginning to clog and needs cleaning.

InvisibleAmbient Forest
Beyond the infinite.
 User Gallery

#12952954 - 07/26/10 12:05 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Gr33nTree73 said:

I've seen hemp wick online before, but to be honest, have never really given it much thought until now. I'm going to order one of the spools & give it a go. Is the thicker spool necessary for a VG, or is it really just a matter of personal preference?

Quote:

Rocker232 said:

I found there was a pretty steep learning curve when I first got my VG, its quite funny to look back on actually, me & my mate would just pull as much air through as fast as we could until it heated up, it would take a while & by that time we had usually dropped our guard a bit, then pow... we would roast the bud too much & be on the ground choking our lungs out. We eventually figured out that it was better to start with a slow airflow to heat up the VG & once you could taste that it was starting to vaporize correctly speed up the airflow & take a full breath before things started to get too hot & burn. Also using the VG correctly you shouldn't have to worry about cleaning it very often, but if you do let it go for a bit too long, a build up of resin will inhibit the proper airflow & give you a burnt spot in the middle leaving half vaped bud around the edges. One other thing, less is often more when it comes to packing a VG, if you thumb pack it full of bud your green wont vaporize evenly & result in a burnt patch wherever air can squeeze through with the least resistance.

I prefer using a VG for its portability & simplicity. Often I will be somewhere where I can't get easy access to power & I don't like relying on batteries & my mates often have a spare lighter on them if the one we are using to vape runs out. The VG suits me for what I need, but I wouldn't argue that a volcano or other mains powered vaporizer would be easier to use strait away & give great results every time, non dependent on the users experience.

I'm waiting on a new aluminum VG to come in the post at the moment, this ones even smaller than the classic VG I have & looks like it will be easer to clean (not having to worry as much about tainting the wood with mentholated spirits..... yes I've done that before & no it doesn't taste good, but when left only takes a day or so to evaporate & be back to normal again).

--------------------

OfflineRocker232
Stranger

Re: Lighter for Vaporizer? [Re: Ambient Forest]
    #12953834 - 07/26/10 03:33 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

I just think its made poorly. Even when I am getting the hang of it its impossible to let other people use. I am going to look into getting a Magic Flight Box soon.

--------------------

InvisibleAmbient Forest
Beyond the infinite.
 User Gallery

#12954187 - 07/26/10 07:21 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Rocker232 said:
I just think its made poorly. Even when I am getting the hang of it its impossible to let other people use. I am going to look into getting a Magic Flight Box soon.

I respect your opinion, but feel I must disagree with it. The classic style VG which I have vaped with for nearly two years is definitely not poorly made, it has taken a good beating from myself and many of my friends, only to keep on going as well as the day I bought it. As long as its cleaned every now and then & used properly there shouldn't be anything but good results & really high times :vaped: I do agree that its not the most new user friendly of vaporizers but some things are worth learning. Most of my mates got the hang of it pretty quickly once I explain to them the best way to use it.

I like the design of the Magic Flight Box :smile: Never been too keen on battery powered vaporizers, but this does look pretty simple & robust & only takes one very commonly available AA battery; I wonder how much use you would get before a recharge was needed. I also like the way it looks, how many people would realize that was a vaporizer if you didn't tell them? or a pipe of any sort for that matter? cheers for the link, I'm reading through all the info on it now, its sparked my interest :evil2:

Edited by Ambient Forest (07/26/10 07:28 AM)

InvisibleGr33nTree73
 User Gallery

#12954343 - 07/26/10 09:13 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Rocker232 said:

If you want a good portable that has no learning curve so that your friends can use it I would HIGHLY recommend an I-olite, they work great and not needing a charge or batteries is key.

And to the OP I would go with a spool of the thick beeline, the regular tends to bend sometimes from the heat of the flame which can make it a bit more difficult to hold.

InvisibleAmbient Forest
Beyond the infinite.
 User Gallery

Re: Lighter for Vaporizer? [Re: Gr33nTree73]
    #12958948 - 07/27/10 12:42 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

The iolite would be great, I cant speak from experience, but researched it heavily back when I was trying to decide on which portable vaporizer to get. The only reason I didn't go with the iolite was the price compared to a VG (A VG is about $60AUD vs $260AUD for an iolite, give or take a few dollars depending on the current exchange rate) otherwise they seem like a really top notch stealthy solution for ones day to day vaporizing needs.
:flyhigh:

Going to order a spool of thick line right now :smile: cheers for the advice Gr33nTree73.

--------------------

Offlineclaraclairvoyant
well oiled machine
 User Gallery

Re: Lighter for Vaporizer? [Re: Atheist]
    #12958993 - 07/27/10 12:48 AM (11 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Atheist said:
Quote:

Gr33nTree73 said:

beeline is the BEST way to smoke weed

agreed, my box ran out a few months ago and i've been using matches ever since to light my bowls since funds have been tight. happy to say i literally just ordered another box!

--------------------

InvisibleAmbient Forest
Beyond the infinite.
 User Gallery

Re: Lighter for Vaporizer? [Re: claraclairvoyant]
    #13067746 - 08/18/10 07:47 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

They arrived yesterday :smile: I ended up getting a case of 20 separate thick wicks, as postage was dramatically cheaper than the same length on a spool. I cant wait to try some :awesome: but I'm dry at the moment :facepalm: picking up an o this weekend :evil2:

--------------------

OfflineRocker232
Stranger

#13068015 - 08/18/10 10:41 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

I'm definitely looking into the Iolite. I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person but I just cannot grasp the VaporGenie. I think the main part is that I am DEATHLY afraid of getting a smoke hit because I know it'll make me anxious so I always hold back and never get a big enough rip. Just bought a bong attachment for the VaporBros so that'll keep me satisfied for awhile. Anyone know how well these things work?

--------------------

InvisibleAmbient Forest
Beyond the infinite.
 User Gallery

#13068123 - 08/18/10 11:30 AM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Rocker232 said:
I think the main part is that I am DEATHLY afraid of getting a smoke hit because I know it'll make me anxious so I always hold back and never get a big enough rip.

Fair call, I still get owned by the occasional choke out, even though I would consider myself an experienced VG user. I've been reading up on how to make my own magic flight box, after you mentioned them I did a bit of research & I'm pretty keen. I thought about buying one, but find it hard to justify the price for what it is. If my attempt at creating one is an epic fail I suppose I'll begin to appreciate their value more, man up & buy one. (hopefully it wont come to that though :evil2: how hard could it be...?).

Also the Aluminum VG works really well, just gets super hot after a few vapes, resulting in toasty fingers :grrr:. The physical size definitely makes it easier for pocket transport but other than that its not any more stealthy once you start to vape. I like the tough easy to clean design, as you don't have to worry about mentholated spirits tainting the flavor of any wood..... yes this has happened (it returns to normal after a few days of evaporation or vaporization if impatient).

--------------------

OfflineRocker232
Stranger

#13070173 - 08/18/10 07:41 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

NGX285 said:
Quote:

Rocker232 said:
I think the main part is that I am DEATHLY afraid of getting a smoke hit because I know it'll make me anxious so I always hold back and never get a big enough rip.

Fair call, I still get owned by the occasional choke out, even though I would consider myself an experienced VG user. I've been reading up on how to make my own magic flight box, after you mentioned them I did a bit of research & I'm pretty keen. I thought about buying one, but find it hard to justify the price for what it is. If my attempt at creating one is an epic fail I suppose I'll begin to appreciate their value more, man up & buy one. (hopefully it wont come to that though :evil2: how hard could it be...?).

Also the Aluminum VG works really well, just gets super hot after a few vapes, resulting in toasty fingers :grrr:. The physical size definitely makes it easier for pocket transport but other than that its not any more stealthy once you start to vape. I like the tough easy to clean design, as you don't have to worry about mentholated spirits tainting the flavor of any wood..... yes this has happened (it returns to normal after a few days of evaporation or vaporization if impatient).

How is the Iolite? It still uses a flame correct?

--------------------

OfflineChubba
Vape hungry

#13070248 - 08/18/10 08:02 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Only took me ~10 bowls before I perfected the technique.

I can get a perfect even brown, zero burn.

InvisibleAmbient Forest
Beyond the infinite.
 User Gallery

#13070448 - 08/18/10 08:48 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Rocker232 said:How is the Iolite? It still uses a flame correct?

no, the iOlite uses butane gas & does not create a flame, Inside the iOlite is a "flameless gas catalytic heater & thermostat". "Catalytic conversion is the process of breaking down complex molecules by accelerating chemical reactions. While catalysis has a variety of purposes, its typical mechanical use comes in the form of a catalytic converter, which is used in stoves, heaters and cars to minimize the output of toxic substances." Full article.

& sadly I don't have an iOlite, (I wasn't sure if you were asking if I did in your previous post? "How is the iOlite")

--------------------

Offlinelaserpig
Weedmaster_P

#13070466 - 08/18/10 08:53 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

beeline is great (although other brands are cheaper) but it's totally inappropriate for a vaporgenie

you want a butane flame, period
honestly from my few years of experience with a vaporgenie, your basic disposable bic is still the best flame around 
i haven't tried any fancy refillable lighters, but it seems to me that running out of gas with a refillable lighter would be even more frustrating than running out of gas with a bic
all like "ah fuck i'm out ... but there's butane at home ... but i'm not at home ... fuck"

--------------------
Weedmaster P knows the truth.

OfflineChubba
Vape hungry

Re: Lighter for Vaporizer? [Re: laserpig]
    #13070487 - 08/18/10 09:01 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

beeline is great (although other brands are cheaper) but it's totally inappropriate for a vaporgenie

you want a butane flame, period
honestly from my few years of experience with a vaporgenie, your basic disposable bic is still the best flame around
i haven't tried any fancy refillable lighters, but it seems to me that running out of gas with a refillable lighter would be even more frustrating than running out of gas with a bic
all like "ah fuck i'm out ... but there's butane at home ... but i'm not at home ... fuck"

Yep, IMO beeline sucks for the VG, the flame isn't always even.

I've found a tall candle works good and provides an even flame if you want to avoid the flint dust (which is apparently bad?).

OfflineAcaterpillar
A little mad...
Male User Gallery

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
Re: Lighter for Vaporizer? [Re: laserpig]
    #13070506 - 08/18/10 09:08 PM (11 years, 1 month ago)

Cheap butane's always break down quick.

Lotus Butane lighters have always worked great for me and not been too over priced.

http://www.lightersx.com/Lotus/c/Lotus-Lighters

--------------------
Aaa...E I O Uuu...A E I O Uuu..A E I O uh Uuu..
*Cough* *Cough*
Ooo...U E I O Aaa...U E I Aaa..A E I O Uuuuu...

At first sight, The Perfection of Wisdom is bewildering, full of paradox and apparent irrationality.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order