Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineModusPwnd
Stranger
Help me increase my net skillz - FTP, VPN, DNS
    #12932090 - 07/21/10 07:31 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Hi all,

Recently changed some computer components around and think my system could be improved - but I need your help.

What I want to do:
Primarily I want to access my home server via the tubes.  I need to be able to DL/UL files and access a remote desktop.  I would like to do this with web addresses rather than numeric IP addresses.  I would also like to be able to access other computers on my home network.

What I do now:
Right now I use hfs and type in my server's ip address w/port to access my home files.  I do the same thing to access my server's desktop using windows 7 built in remote desktop feature.

What I have tried:
I have tried to use DynDns to get some alphabetic web addresses, but I couldnt get it to work.  I need to access the same computer on two different ports for my two services - file severing and remote desktop.  I want two different addresses to do this with.  Especially considering I would like to access more than one computer in the future.  However, I couldnt figure out how to register individual ports with separate web addresses.

Possible Solutions?:
Perhaps there is one free program that can give me remote desk top and file sharing at once, communicating though one port eliminating the need for multiple web addresses?  Or, is there a way I can register different ports to different addresses so I can continue to use my two separate programs?

Im sure some of you have some ideas, Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
Re: Help me increase my net skillz - FTP, VPN, DNS [Re: ModusPwnd]
    #12934983 - 07/22/10 11:23 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ModusPwnd said:
I have tried to use DynDns to get some alphabetic web addresses, but I couldnt get it to work.

there is usually an option in your routers configuration page. all you have to do is put in the host name you created, username and password. should take 5 sec.

Quote:

ModusPwnd said:
I need to access the same computer on two different ports for my two services - file severing and remote desktop.  I want two different addresses to do this with.

setting up dyndns account is the first step.
youll also need to set up port forwarding for the service you want to use. this is also in your routers config page.. usually under Gaming or Port forwarding.. something like that.

FTP uses 21 so you would put in 21 and the internal ip of the computer youll want to connect to (192.168.x.x) USE STATIC INTERNAL IP ADDRESSES!

now if you are using an FTP client, point it toward your dyndns created host name and it should assume you are using port 21. if not then specify the address like this:

http://your.domain.com:21

Quote:

ModusPwnd said:
I couldnt figure out how to register individual ports with separate web addresses.

you dont need a separate web address for each computer/service. if you want to connect to different machines just change the port number on the secondary machine. ie change the FTP port on the secondary machine to something like 13245 just so it doesnt conflict with another port number. dont forget to setup port forwarding for that machine also.

then you can just use the port numbers to specify which machine you want.

hopefully that made sense..

--------------------

OfflineModusPwnd
Stranger
Re: Help me increase my net skillz - FTP, VPN, DNS [Re: frith]
    #12935794 - 07/22/10 02:17 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

There must be some way to do it without the port numbers...

The whole point of getting alphabetic web address is so that you don't have to remember the numbers!

Invisiblemoeshroom
golden student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
    #12936164 - 07/22/10 03:38 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Like frith said, to set it up you must configure the router to forward the correct port corresponding to each service, and if you have a firewall, which you should, you need to open up the same ports in your firewall.  If you run your servers on the standard ports, the client should not require the port number but only the address.

--------------------

OfflineModusPwnd
Stranger
Re: Help me increase my net skillz - FTP, VPN, DNS [Re: moeshroom]
    #12936630 - 07/22/10 05:14 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, I know about port forwarding and have done all that.  My applications do seem to all need the port number however.  To access my remote desktop I have to include the port after the address, to access my FTP I have to include the port after the address.

I wish I could just register my ip address with the port included, what would be so hard about that? 

Thx for your thoughts.

Invisiblemoeshroom
golden student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #12936879 - 07/22/10 06:03 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Um that doesn't make sense.  Your remote desktop server and FTP server *must* be on different ports, or else you couldn't use both services at the same time.  If you have them on the standard ports, and they're forwarded and open, then it falls on the client to get them right.

--------------------

OfflineModusPwnd
Stranger
    #12936931 - 07/22/10 06:12 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, they probably are not on standard ports then.  I will check that when I get home.  THx

How about getting it to work with multiple computers, then I must change ports to be different than standard right?

Invisiblemoeshroom
golden student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #12937362 - 07/22/10 07:20 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

In that case you probably want subdomains, and then you can continue to use the standard ports on each subdomain.

--------------------

OfflineModusPwnd
Stranger
    #12938417 - 07/22/10 10:39 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Ok, I have found one obvious problem and fixed it.  Like most cases, the problem was user error... :facepalm:

I had recently installed a VOIP device in between my router and modem.  For some reason my external ip address my router was reporting was different than what hfs and whatismyip.com said.

Thx for the help!  I would like to make it more advanced with multiple computers soon, perhaps Ill read on subdomains?  I have no idea what that is.

Invisiblemoeshroom
golden student
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #12939672 - 07/23/10 08:06 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Subdomains are simply like pwnd.modus.net, tolenz.modus.net, etc..  You set 'em up on your side so they don't cost anything and you can have as many as you want.

--------------------

Invisiblefrith
God

Loc: Philadelphia, PA Flag
    #12941770 - 07/23/10 03:51 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

ModusPwnd said:
There must be some way to do it without the port numbers...

The whole point of getting alphabetic web address is so that you don't have to remember the numbers!

you could specify addresses in your hosts file. i know it exists in windows but not the location.

in linux its /etc/hosts

you would add it like this:

Quote:

dyndns.hostname.com:21    home.ftp

so now you just have to use home.ftp as your address.

--------------------

Offlinesupra
computerEnthusiast
Loc: TEXAS
Re: Help me increase my net skillz - FTP, VPN, DNS [Re: frith]
    #12941935 - 07/23/10 04:29 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

its actually in the some/long/ass/windows/path/etc/hosts file in windows too, one of the few remnants of unix in windows...i don't know the full path and don't have a windows computer to find it, but at work I have to mess with it all the time, to get to it, i just open the run prompt with windowKey + r, then type in 'drivers' without the single quotes, and it opens an windows explorer window with the etc file in it...double click and there is hosts...

InvisibleQiGong

#12966970 - 07/28/10 02:12 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I do this with no-ip.com. I set up a primary dynamic dns address then set up secondary dynamic dns addresses to redirect to it using the web redirect service.

address1.no-ip.com => 100.100.100.100
address2.no.ip.com => address1.no-ip.com:8080

Jump to top Pages: 1

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale