Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

D.A.R.E. Challenged on Marijuana Decriminalization Stance
    #12926277 - 07/20/10 06:15 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

D.A.R.E. Challenged on Marijuana Decriminalization Stance
July 20, 2010 - nbcbayarea.com

Drug education advocates say same nice thing about pot that they say about booze

An editorial in the Sunday, July 11th San Jose Mercury News by Louis R. "Skip" Miller, chairman of Drug Abuse Resistance Edutation, or "D.A.R.E." America, was provocatively titled "Backers of legal pot just want to get high."

That might come as news to a lot of non-cannabis users who approve of decriminalization on grounds of economy, crime, medicine and social justice.

Miller lists a litany of health issues that have been tied to marijuana, arguing that "one of the most pernicious effects of marijuana is that it lowers inhibitions."

Small problem? The D.A.R.E website says that alcohol also "relaxes you, curbs stress, and chases away inhibitions."

So in one case -- pernicious problem. In the other, perfectly harmless! To be fair, in both cases the organization suggests that there's a point at which alcohol can also become a problem.

But according to a counter-argument from former American College of Emergency Medicine, Doctor Larry A. Bedard, there were 200 times more hospitalizations due to alcohol than marijuana in 2006.

"From a physician's perspective, marijuana is a minor ailment. The supposed cure, criminalization, is like the IV administration of a toxic, expensive antibiotic to treat a cold."

Hence, the California Medical Association has endorsed Prop 19.

That's all lead the Safer Choice campaign, which advocates for allowing adults to freely choose marijuana as they might alcohol, to ask supporters to challenge Miller with his own words through an online petition ahead of the D.A.R.E. International Training Conference.

D.A.R.E. was started in 1983, and provides police liaisons to school districts who teach children about the dangers of common crimes like drug use. However, in 2001 former Surgeon General David Satcher classified D.A.R.E. as a program that "Does Not Work."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFreedom
Pigment of your imagination
Male User Gallery

Re: D.A.R.E. Challenged on Marijuana Decriminalization Stance [Re: veggie]
    #12926621 - 07/20/10 07:12 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

The supposed cure, criminalization, is like the IV administration of a toxic, expensive antibiotic to treat a cold.

Nice!

Offlineraincloud
Stranger
Re: D.A.R.E. Challenged on Marijuana Decriminalization Stance [Re: veggie]
    #12926778 - 07/20/10 07:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Miller lists a litany of health issues that have been tied to marijuana, arguing that "one of the most pernicious effects of marijuana is that it lowers inhibitions."

Small problem? The D.A.R.E website says that alcohol also "relaxes you, curbs stress, and chases away inhibitions."

Nice article but this part bugs me. If they agree, and they do I assume, then an additional goal would be to ban alcohol. It isn't that other chemicals are bad for you so why worry about marijuana, it IS that laws that protect you from you, are simply non-constitutional IMHO.

Edited by raincloud (07/20/10 07:49 PM)

OfflineCuriousOne
Be Curious

Loc: Land of Penguins
Re: D.A.R.E. Challenged on Marijuana Decriminalization Stance [Re: raincloud]
    #12926868 - 07/20/10 08:13 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

However, in 2001 former Surgeon General David Satcher classified D.A.R.E. as a program that "Does Not Work."

Dare dont work, its brokened

--------------------

~Explore the means of your subconscious~

Invisiblegolden1
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: north korea
Re: D.A.R.E. Challenged on Marijuana Decriminalization Stance [Re: CuriousOne]
    #12927145 - 07/20/10 09:11 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I've wanted to try psychedelics since 4th grade when I learned about them in dare. :rofl2:
Trying psychedelics became my main goal. Somehow they managed to make me think marijuana was bad till 9th grade though, mostly because I associated it with cigarettes.

Invisiblecaphillkid
Coquus Boleti

Loc: Jet City
Re: D.A.R.E. Challenged on Marijuana Decriminalization Stance [Re: golden1]
    #12927218 - 07/20/10 09:29 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Weed doesn't lower inhibitions.  If anything it makes you a bit paranoid, which is why many people try it and don't like it. 

DARE...what a joke.  I did it as a kid in grade school.  I did this massive paper in college about the drug war.  There are studies linking DARE participation to increased drug use.  I'm a perfect example.

Offlineweephar
The Consultant

Loc: USA
Re: D.A.R.E. Challenged on Marijuana Decriminalization Stance [Re: golden1]
    #12927342 - 07/20/10 09:57 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

golden1 said:
I've wanted to try psychedelics since 4th grade when I learned about them in dare. :rofl2:
Trying psychedelics became my main goal. Somehow they managed to make me think marijuana was bad till 9th grade though, mostly because I associated it with cigarettes.

Yea I wanted to try drugs in general (not just psychedelics) since about 4th grade too.  Then I did. :smile:

--------------------
Life is good! (and it is also a journey)

Free Rudd!

OfflineFreedom
Pigment of your imagination
Male User Gallery

Re: D.A.R.E. Challenged on Marijuana Decriminalization Stance [Re: weephar]
    #12927357 - 07/20/10 10:01 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

haha that's funny in fourth grade there was a poster on the wall with pictures of illegal drugs and descriptions of their effects. I was scared of all of them except LSD, which I've been intrigued by since fourth grade.

OfflineRogerRabbitV
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Re: D.A.R.E. Challenged on Marijuana Decriminalization Stance [Re: Freedom]
    #12927467 - 07/20/10 10:28 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

That is patently false.  Pot actually raises inhibitions.  Mrs rabbit won't even get out of the car to go into a store if she's had something to smoke.  She's afraid they're 'looking at her'.

It's typical disinformation from the DARE retards.  My kids grew up in the 80s and 90s and weren't the least bit interested in drugs until the DARE program came to their school.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinewhatever123
Whatever I did, I'm sorry
Male User Gallery

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: D.A.R.E. Challenged on Marijuana Decriminalization Stance [Re: Freedom]
    #12927977 - 07/21/10 12:20 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Freedom said:
haha that's funny in fourth grade there was a poster on the wall with pictures of illegal drugs and descriptions of their effects.

I want that poster.

--------------------
Koala Koolio said:
there should be a 3 month waiting period between registration and posting. :wink:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals