Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDystopicDreams
Locutus of Bong
Male User Gallery

Crumbled/cased PF cakes doing surprisingly well? (updated w/ pics 7/24)
    #12914768 - 07/18/10 09:41 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

So I got my feet wet in a rather big way with this. After an abortive start with a "partner" who abandoned 20 jars in the woods, my first lesson was that if you want it done right do it yourself. :smile: Anyway, after confiscating everything from him, I got started with 60 PF jars of my own. 100% of them colonized with zero contaminants. I went pretty much textbook PFTek with these, shotgun FC etc. The first flush was pretty good, though learning to dry properly was a whole other lesson in itself. The second flush was modest, maybe half the size of the first. Now that you've got my backstory, I'll move on to why I'm actually posting.

After the second less impressive flush, the cakes looked a little bit wasted. I did a lot of searching here, and even though popular opinion seems to be mostly against it due to increased chance of contamination, I decided to go ahead and crumble and case anyway. None of the cakes were contaminated, just a little sorry looking. I dunked them for about 12 hours, crumbled them up, and cased them in 50/50 peat and verm in roasting pans. BTW man oh man did I PC a shitload of dirt that day. My apartment smelled like warm peat all day. Yeah I'm a real lady killer.

So honestly I didn't expect them to do much. I figured they'd probably expended a ton of energy just pushing out two flushes (some of the shrooms from the first and second flush were a good 9 or 10 inches tall) and thought if nothing else it'd be a good learning experience. So I covered the roasting pans with foil, put them on a shelf in the closet I do all my "incubating" in. (quotes because really they're just sitting on a shelf in a closet that stays around 75 - 78 degrees F all day, there's also another 20 something PF jars and 24 quarts of rye I noc'd in the past couple days. That's for another post though.) After about 4 days in the closet, I took them out, unfoiled them, and have them sitting under a CFL lamp and getting misted every couple hours. Another three or four days later, much to my surprise, there's a LOT of vegetative growth going on. Like, it's already poking through the casing. Exciting! But now I have questions, mostly because I was just expecting to have a couple pans of dirt doing nothing.

Should I patch? If so, with what? I still have plenty of peat and verm and could mix up a 50/50 batch pretty quickly.
Do I need to do something to trigger the mycelium back to a fruiting stage beyond misting, fresh air, and light?
There's a four day festival about 12 days away, think I'll have anything ready in time? :smile:

Thanks in advance, I tried to answer as many of my own questions via search before posting. In fact, I would like to thank everyone for the wealth of knowledge here - I've come this far without having to post for exactly that reason.

One of the three trays:

One morning's harvest from the first flush: (included mostly out of pride)

Edited by DystopicDreams (07/24/10 06:20 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDoc_T
Random Dude
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Colorado Flag
Re: Crumbled/cased PF cakes doing surprisingly well? [Re: DystopicDreams]
    #12914825 - 07/18/10 10:09 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I wouldn't patch. Let it colonize, then fruit it.

Hope it's not green inside.

--------------------
You make it all possible. Doesn't it feel good?

OfflineDystopicDreams
Locutus of Bong
Male User Gallery

Re: Crumbled/cased PF cakes doing surprisingly well? [Re: Doc_T]
    #12915307 - 07/18/10 12:48 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

How does the now-broken mycellium "know" to go back into a vegetative state like this?

As it breaks the surface of the casing, is it just the fresh air and light that will trigger it to fruit again? Should I attempt to drop the temperature 10-15 degrees on it, maybe put a bag over it and sit it in front of the AC overnight?

My understanding of why we typically don't do this is because it essentially lengthens the process with no real increase in yield? Crumble/case seems to at least provide greater uniformity in the fruit from the photos I've seen here, can anyone confirm/deny?

One of those roasting pans is sitting in a shotgun FC, the one photographed is not, and the third is actually too long for the FCs I have. If I'm misting them regularly, are they really going to benefit that much from sitting on a perlite bed? Would it reduce my workload?

OfflineDystopicDreams
Locutus of Bong
Male User Gallery

Re: Crumbled/cased PF cakes doing surprisingly well? [Re: DystopicDreams]
    #12946911 - 07/24/10 06:19 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Some pictures to update: (no, the center of that tray is not all green, it's my shitty camera phone, sorry for the blur) I ended up adapting an old sporting goods trunk I was planning to get rid of as an FC for the roasting pan that was super long, pretty much all three trays look like this one.

holy pinsets!

Like I said before, I was expecting pans of dirt or worse, but these look pretty good eh?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder