Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineChaos_ultt
Stranger
 User Gallery
Becoming a vegetarian
    #12848320 - 07/04/10 04:37 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I've always wanted to become a vegetarian, despite my occasional desperate cravings for a hunk of bloody flesh.  A girl I'm very interested in has been a vegetarian for awhile, and this seems like the perfect motivation for me to finally make a change (it's always for a girl, isn't it? :smile:)

My questions are rather basic, but since people in the Shroomery community seem like the perfect people to ask, I thought I'd try here first.

- What's a typical lunch for you vegetarians out there?  I think salad is going to get old very fast unless I can come up with new ways to make salad exciting each time.

- Can you recommend a good vegetarian cookbook?

- Do you take protein supplements? 

- Any general tips to keep me interested/regimented

Thanks in advance guys! :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblechooken
Between the Earth and Sky
Male

Loc: Aus Flag
Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: Chaos_ultt]
    #12848427 - 07/04/10 05:01 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not vegetarian, but I do have meals without meat. Beans, mushrooms, things like tofu .etc are always good to keep you full. Salads never fill me up, so I have to have other things with carbs to go along with it. Pasta is also good :smile:

I think my favourite non meat meal would be spaghetti with kidney beans instead of meat and I think I threw some other things in as well. Haven't made it in a while haha. I'd say to just think of meals you like and think of ways to swap the meat with something else.

If you have room for a garden where you live, get a nice vege patch going and don't for get about this site - grow some edible mushrooms! You could get some nice hobbies out of this :wink:

--------------------
[

Invisibleatayia
nom nom
Female

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: chooken]
    #12848562 - 07/04/10 05:46 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I got some kitchsy cookbooks called The Garden of Vegan and How It All Vegan one year for a present and although the girls are hardcore vegans...the books have a lot of great recipes and you can substitute/change things as you feel free.  For example, I am not hardcore vegan and I like my cheeses so sometimes I put in real cheeses vs the tofu cheese.  Everything I have ever made from the books is tasty and most are quite simple.  Oh well there was one experiment with some kind of a lasagna/casserole thing...it didn't turn out so well I forget which book it was from and what it was specifically but I threw the pan out...heed caution if it's a casserole with red chili pepper flakes. :thumbup:

--------------------

Offlinesolstice
Hempowered
Male User Gallery

Loc: Silly Cunt Valley
Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: atayia]
    #12849888 - 07/04/10 11:31 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I have been vegetarian/vegan for about 4 years. I will never go back to eating meat unless I have to.

It's very easy and quite simple too since you don't necessarely have to cook if you don't want to or if you don't have time. Meat has to be cooked, not vegetables, nuts or fruits so it's not as complicated as some will have you believe. Of course, you can also really get into it and cook intricate vegetarian meals, which are great :grin:

So... lunches! I'll tell you what mine are made off nowadays: I kick off the day with good cereal ( granola and such ) soaked in vanilla soy milk... Yummy. Then I head off to work. ( After some good coffee too )

Morning break: A nice ripe grapefruit and some nut mix.

Lunch break: It varies a lot but I go from home made greek salad ( feta cheese, onions, tomatoes, olives ), bean salad ( red kidney beans and other kinds, chili sauce, vegetables ) to simple sliced vegetables and hummus with some sweet thing as a dessert ( I love sweets ).

And then, at the afternoon break I have some fruits or some more sweets.

Dinner time has come and that's when I usually have a pretty elaborate meal or some pizza. ( I love pizza... I just can't get enough ).

I sometimes sautée vegetables in a wok and cover them with a great Indonesian peanut sauce, cook a curry, or simply use the blender and make a smoothie from fresh fruits.

It's a great lifestyle man! :thumbup: And seriously, if you go forth with this, get yourself some good bread. Whole grain and everything k?

--------------------
Man woke up in a world he did not understand and that is why he tries to interpret it - Carl Jung

InvisibleDoctor_Dick
Forgiveness
Male User Gallery

Loc: top of the tower
    #12849995 - 07/05/10 12:08 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Chaos_ultt said:
I've always wanted to become a vegetarian, despite my occasional desperate cravings for a hunk of bloody flesh.  A girl I'm very interested in has been a vegetarian for awhile, and this seems like the perfect motivation for me to finally make a change (it's always for a girl, isn't it? :smile:)

My questions are rather basic, but since people in the Shroomery community seem like the perfect people to ask, I thought I'd try here first.

- What's a typical lunch for you vegetarians out there?  I think salad is going to get old very fast unless I can come up with new ways to make salad exciting each time.

hey man! good to see you wanna make the change! it's a positive thing...

for a vegetarian, i personally dont go all out and try to avoid all foods people would consider unhealthy. when i go out to eat, i don't mind eating french fries, as they are one of the few vegetarian things most resturaunts serve..

i like potato chips actually...i eat alot of pasta too, its one of the most consistent things i eat(part Italian that must be why)...with olive oil and some salt and pepper on the pasta...pretty bland but it keeps me living

no protien supplement...i don't think people need nearly as much protien as most people think

i eat alot of beans for protien...take a multivitamin and calcium supplement daily..

occasionally i will have candy...i still like chocolate, and every once in a while will buy a bar of chocolate or something...even a doughnut here and there! oh well aslong as i'm not eating an animal it's all good to me.

i eat a shit load of salad too...alot of times i eat a bag a day for like a week, then i just dont eat salad at all for a few days, then i will go crazy and eat a ton of salad again..

i like alot of variety in my diet...keeps it from getting boring

i am pretty extreme as far as being a vegetarian goes...i'm not vegan, but will never touch meat. eggs, milk, those are impossible to avoid, but i wont go out of my way to consume them. they are in about every piece of bread you could imagine

i refuse to eat cheese though, because it has enzymes in it that have been scraped from the lining of baby cow stomach's...

--------------------
:minifo:] "This promise constitutes the heart of my Christian beliefs and my call to natural-scientific research: we will attain to knowledge of the universe through the spirit of truth, and thereby to understanding of our being one with the deepest, most comprehensive reality, God."
-Albert Hofmann

Edited by Doctor_Dick (07/05/10 01:47 AM)

Offlinefazdazzle
Wanderer

Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: Doctor_Dick]
    #12850269 - 07/05/10 01:51 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Doctor_Dick said:
Quote:

Chaos_ultt said:

hey man! good to see you wanna make the change! it's a positive thing...

for a vegetarian, i personally dont go all out and try to avoid all foods people would consider unhealthy. when i go out to eat, i don't mind eating french fries, as they are one of the few vegetarian things most resturaunts serve..

i like potato chips actually...i eat alot of pasta too, its one of the most consistent things i eat(part Italian that must be why)...with olive oil and some salt and pepper on the pasta...pretty bland but it keeps me living

no protien supplement...i don't think people need nearly as much protien as most people think

i eat alot of beans for protien...take a multivitamin and calcium supplement daily..

occasionally i will have candy...i still like chocolate, and every once in a while will buy a bar of chocolate or something...even a doughnut here and there! oh well aslong as i'm not eating an animal it's all good to me.

i eat a shit load of salad too...alot of times i eat a bag a day for like a week, then i just dont eat salad at all for a few days, then i will go crazy and eat a ton of salad again..

i like alot of variety in my diet...keeps it from getting boring

This is pretty sound advice. It sounds a lot like how I do it...I just kind of go for what I'm in the mood for, which changes often. Sometimes I eat a lot of salad too, then none.

I keep bananas and apples on hand pretty much at all times. About 3 apples a week or so. I eat one banana a day with my breakfast of 1 cup homemade granola with 1 cup organic skim milk. Here's the recipe I use:

http://www.slashfood.com/2007/08/31/a-granola-recipe-from-my-moms-hippie-youth/

It's *really* easy. It's filling as hell. It's super healthy. And it's delicious. I've made it for friends and they all absolutely loved it.

What I found helps *a lot* is to have some staples that you always have around. Having this granola for breakfast almost every day is amazing. If I don't feel like granola or I'm out, I have blueberry bagels in the fridge (which last forever) with some organic cream cheese (I eat all organic animal products - usually local as well).

My other staple is fried potatoes with scrambled eggs. I take a chunk of butter (organic/local) add in sliced red potatoes (reds are amazing fried) with some pepper and dried thyme. Cook that on med-low heat with a lid on, stirring occasionally. While these cook I add my eggs (organic/local) to a bowl and mix with milk, salt, oregano and pepper. When the potatoes are done, I transfer them to a bowl and add the eggs to the pan. The eggs only take like 2 minutes to cook, then I add them to the bowl with potatoes. Wabam! that's good eats.

Look for small ways you can make things much better. For example, if I don't want to make tomato sauce for pasta, I buy jarred stuff and add some fresh parmesan that I keep a block of at all times. The parmesan makes bland jarred pasta actually pretty decent. Add some dried herbs and you're good to go.

As far as full blown meals I am obsessed with soup. Good thing, because there are tons of vegetarian soups. I highly recommend this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Moosewood-Restaurant-Daily-Special-Recipes/dp/0609802429/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278315134&sr=1-1

About half of it is soup, about another half is salad, and then there's a few pages for desserts, bread and other things.

I also really like this cook book:

http://www.amazon.com/Vegetarian-Cooking-Everyone-Deborah-Madison/dp/0767927478/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278315209&sr=1-1

It's really great if you're just learning how to cook because she really lays it out there. It's at times pretty fancy, so be ready for that. I go to her if I want something really detailed or something that's unique. For example, I decided over the weekend to make curry for my first time tomorrow and I will most probably take a curry recipe from her book.

A few more things...since I make granola so often I have nuts on hand at all times, so I snack on them. You'd be surprised how filling a handful of nuts and a banana is.

Another thing that I have as kind of a staple is the BP&J. Jam and peanut butter don't really go bad, so as long as I use up the bread I have a decent snack for a couple weeks. I don't know really how healthy whole grain bread is but I'm just a die-hard for wheat bread, so that's what I use.

Salad is important too...gotta get as many of those dark leafy greens in as possible. A good balsamic vinaigrette, some romaine lettuce, spinach, and one or two dark greens (collards, kale, chard (my favorite)).

I do have protein powder that I add to smoothies which I make in spurts...sometimes daily, sometimes once a week. To those I will add milk, one banana, scoop of protein, frozen fruit (strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, etc.) and blend.

I also take a multivitamin. This is what I take:

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Adam-Superior-Men-s-Multi-120-Tablets/380?at=0

It's two a day...totally worth it.

If you have anymore questions, ask away!

InvisibleDoctor_Dick
Forgiveness
Male User Gallery

Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: fazdazzle]
    #12850281 - 07/05/10 01:54 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

try annie's goddess salad dressing if you havent! the only dressing i use now...its high in fat, ...tastes amazing...just thought i'd throw that out there :laugh:

--------------------
:minifo:] "This promise constitutes the heart of my Christian beliefs and my call to natural-scientific research: we will attain to knowledge of the universe through the spirit of truth, and thereby to understanding of our being one with the deepest, most comprehensive reality, God."
-Albert Hofmann

Edited by Doctor_Dick (07/05/10 01:57 AM)

OfflineChaos_ultt
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #12850718 - 07/05/10 07:30 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you so much for the tips! :heart::heart::tongue2:

Offlineplustax
Stranger
    #12858656 - 07/06/10 08:06 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

look into farmers markets and community gardens. way awesome for the environment.

Offlinefish50
bernard
Male

Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: plustax]
    #12877970 - 07/10/10 02:19 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

It's easy. Think how many vegetables there are out there. Just pick two or three and make a meal out of them. Sweet potatoes, aubergines (egg plants) and mushrooms are are great for a base; combine them with things like spinach or peppers.

Use a lot of cheese and eggs, to fill you up and feel satisfied and to get your protein and calcium. Don't worry about the fat content; because they're combined with vegetables it's all healthy (within reasonable limits).

Get a bamboo steamer and start to make some eastern dishes. Brown rice is great to go with vegetables. Use fresh herbs for flavour! At the moments Im eating lots of chives and corriander. Add in things like nuts and seeds. Use good quality oils, and things like balsamic vinegar, mayonnaise, tabasco, soy sauce, to make dressings and sauces.

Tomatoes are fucking amazing

I eat mostly vegetarian food. It's so easy to make tasty and satisfying food, you don't miss meat at all if you do it properly.

--------------------
---------------------------------------------
return is the happiest key on a keyboard
delete and escape the most negative
caps lock is the hungriest
shift is a sly fucker

InvisibleFern
 User Gallery

Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: fish50]
    #12878393 - 07/10/10 03:54 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

great topic, i never had meat since mondays night chicken burger, since then i have trying to make meals with boiling veggies, oatmeal, cashews and other nuts, less milk drinking until i grab some soy milk, fruits fresh and dried, sunflower seeds, some soups.

do many vegertairans take supplements? B12, iron and calcium are supposed to be very important, which stresses me out because i dont know if im gettin enough b12 or not, im trying to avoid milk and eggs to.

im reading "living vegetarian for dummies" right now and its quite good.

http://www.amazon.com/Living-Vegetarian-Dummies-sup-ebook/dp/B002XGICB8

Offlinecryptic_pickle
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: Fern]
    #12881265 - 07/11/10 06:27 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

A great easy meal I eat quite often is guacamole.  Avocados have a bit of protein in them and I think they have the highest number of minerals of any
fruit.

U need;

1 avocado

2-3 garlic cloves

1 lemon

salt

and maybe some fresh herbs if you have any;  rosemary, thyme, oregano etc.

Crush or finely chop  the garlic, squeeze in some lemon juice pinch of salt and some herbs - mash it all together.  Eat it with some corn chips or some
nice bread.

:drooling::drooling::drooling:

Sorry that was pretty specific advise but I've been eating this a lot lately cos avocados are in season.

Eggs and fried mushrooms and spinach are also a great if your craving meat.  As these 3 ingredients have most of the stuff that is found in meat.

Eggs for the protein, Mushrooms for the B vitamins and Spinach for the iron.

Good luck going veg :thumbup:

--------------------
"What was the first thing your husband said to you when he woke that morning?"
"He said, 'Where am I, Cathy?'"
"And why did that upset you?"
"My name is Susan."

Offlinecryptic_pickle
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: cryptic_pickle]
    #12881280 - 07/11/10 06:35 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

If your a guy I'd stay away from soymilk cos it gives you tits.  :borat:

--------------------
"What was the first thing your husband said to you when he woke that morning?"
"He said, 'Where am I, Cathy?'"
"And why did that upset you?"
"My name is Susan."

InvisibleFern
 User Gallery

#12881410 - 07/11/10 07:29 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

InvisibleDoctor_Dick
Forgiveness
Male User Gallery

#12881940 - 07/11/10 11:05 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

soy milk is fine. i used soy protien and i didnt get tits

--------------------
-Albert Hofmann

OfflineChaos_ultt
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #12944481 - 07/24/10 08:07 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Just wanted to give an update and say that I'm still a vegetarian 3 weeks later!

I've noticed that people really take a special interest in you when you're a vegetarian.  You're instantly interesting.  I like it :smile:

I've been eating lots of Chick'n nuggets and Veggie Burgers (chipotle flavor), but I've also been experimenting with vegetarian meals you have to cook yourself. 

I made a vegetable strudel that everyone in my family loved.  It was huge, and was completely gone in an hour or so.  Basically it's a filo crust, filled with eggplant, zucchini, chilies, and cheese.  nom nom nom.

I tried making tofu curry, but I don't think I cut the tofu small enough, and it ended up having a weird texture.  I'll have to keep experimenting.

I made some vegetable stock that I put into icecube trays and stored in a large freezer bag.  It's really simple to make and you can do a lot of different things with it.

My favorite meal so far has been a vegetarian burrito/taco.  I make it pretty much every day.  It was inspired by shroomery member cactu from his "whana eat some?  Show it!" thread.  It's basically diced onions and sliced mushrooms, fried in a pan until soft and placed on a tortilla.  On top I add a basic salsa (chili, tomato, cilantro, lime), and top that with sour cream and cheese.  It's so good!  Try it!

If anyone has any other recipes that they'd like to add to this thread, I'd really appreciate it!

InvisibleDoctor_Dick
Forgiveness
Male User Gallery

#12944627 - 07/24/10 09:09 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

:thumbup: good job man! stick to it! after a certain point if you dont eat any meat for a while the thought of eating meat will sound gross! :smile: keep it up

--------------------
-Albert Hofmann

OfflineThe24HourMC
Master Of Ceremonies
Male User Gallery

Loc: Gone
    #12945343 - 07/24/10 12:36 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

fuck that shit , steaks and pork forever. I would never sacrifivce my meat to eat bland tasteless plants and have to add salad dressing out the ass to make up for it or other kinds of covers just so i can feel like im doing something positive. im doing something beneficial to the planet y wiping out all those damn cows , pigs and shit before  they overrun the earth and take over instead of humans. havent you ever read Animal Farm? :meatwad:

--------------------

My Baby In MCLA

Fuckin Shit

Fuck that stay high

Invisiblechooken
Between the Earth and Sky
Male

Loc: Aus Flag
Re: Becoming a vegetarian [Re: The24HourMC]
    #12946541 - 07/24/10 04:44 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I made the Granola from the recipe fazdazzle posted, was so good! Although the dried fruit I used was a bit dodgy, might try it next time without the fruit

--------------------
[

OfflineBothHands
Dog Coffee
Female User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #12946599 - 07/24/10 04:57 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Chaos_ultt said:
Just wanted to give an update and say that I'm still a vegetarian 3 weeks later!

I've noticed that people really take a special interest in you when you're a vegetarian.  You're instantly interesting.  I like it :smile:

I've been eating lots of Chick'n nuggets and Veggie Burgers (chipotle flavor), but I've also been experimenting with vegetarian meals you have to cook yourself. 

I made a vegetable strudel that everyone in my family loved.  It was huge, and was completely gone in an hour or so.  Basically it's a filo crust, filled with eggplant, zucchini, chilies, and cheese.  nom nom nom.

I tried making tofu curry, but I don't think I cut the tofu small enough, and it ended up having a weird texture.  I'll have to keep experimenting.

I made some vegetable stock that I put into icecube trays and stored in a large freezer bag.  It's really simple to make and you can do a lot of different things with it.

My favorite meal so far has been a vegetarian burrito/taco.  I make it pretty much every day.  It was inspired by shroomery member cactu from his "whana eat some?  Show it!" thread.  It's basically diced onions and sliced mushrooms, fried in a pan until soft and placed on a tortilla.  On top I add a basic salsa (chili, tomato, cilantro, lime), and top that with sour cream and cheese.  It's so good!  Try it!

If anyone has any other recipes that they'd like to add to this thread, I'd really appreciate it!

Yeah, when I started out I ate a lot of fake meat products.  I still use them every once in a while when I get that nostalgic craving.  Do you have any Gardein where you live?  It's by far the best meat substitute.  Specifically the crispy chicken strips.

I also went through my wrap phase.  Burritos, and veggie fajitas and whatnot.

My advice to you is to get a vegetarian Indian cookbook.  The Indians have been cooking vegetarian for thousands of years, so they've had a lot of practice. 

Eventually you'll probably go through a stir-fry phase too.  Personally, that's what followed my wrap phase.

It gets MUCH easier over time.  You'll have your days, but it definitely gets easier.

And yeah, mushrooms are a must, especially if you're a male.  Some soy in moderation is fine for men, but it's still better to try to get your protein from other sources too.  And mushrooms help fill that need.

Right now my absolute favorite food is here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aaron-mccargo-jr/grilled-portobello-burger-recipe/index.html

If you still eat cheese, this is probably the best thing you'll ever taste in your entire life.  Hell, I'm sure it would be awesome, even without the feta.

Good luck. :laugh:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder