Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineJammer
Computers areMORE Addictive!

Loc: (God's Country) - USA
Ed Rosenthal (Pot Grow God) Convicted of Three Felonies!!
    #1283061 - 02/05/03 06:54 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I cant tell you how much this story pissed me off.... I have had letters published by this guy in High Times mag before... In fact his grow books are often considered the best that there are out there.....

READ AND WEEP: (Reuters)

Calif. Jurors Convict, Then Decry Marijuana Verdict
Wed Feb 5, 3:09 PM ET

By Adam Tanner

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - First the jury convicted one of America's most outspoken marijuana advocates on drug charges. Now, just days later, jurors are praising him, expressing unusual regret about their verdict and saying vital evidence was withheld from them

The San Francisco Federal Court jury found Ed Rosenthal, 58, a columnist who has written many books on marijuana, guilty on Friday on three counts of growing marijuana. The judge in the case refused to let jurors hear Rosenthal's defense: that he was growing the drug for medical use, something legal under state law while illegal under federal law.

"We obviously came up with the wrong verdict," jury member Marney Craig said in an interview on Wednesday. "Ed Rosenthal did not get a fair trial.

"Nothing we can do can make up for the fact that we are sending him to prison."

Craig, a property manager who is also 58 years old, is one of several jurors who complain that they were not told that Rosenthal was cultivating the weed as an "officer" for the city of Oakland's medical marijuana program.

Judge Charles Breyer did not allow defense lawyers to introduce testimony on that issue because growing marijuana for any reason is a federal offense.

He did not return calls on the case. One of the prosecutors in the case, Geoffrey Hansen, also declined to comment.

Experts say a change of heart by the jury does not have legal significance, although it could win public support for the defendant. "It is rare but not unheard of," said Peter Joy, director of trial and advocacy program at the Washington University in St Louis School of Law.

"It typically happens when there has been some information that has been withheld from them that they feel would have affected the decision that has been made," he said. "In and of itself, it does not have any legal significance."

ROSENTHAL THANKS THE JURY

Rosenthal, who is free on bail pending a sentencing hearing in June, praised the jury on Wednesday even though its original verdict could mean spending the rest of his life behind bars.

The judge denied a government motion on Tuesday to imprison Rosenthal immediately, saying there were important legal issues to consider in the appeal.

"I am really grateful to the jurors," Rosenthal told Reuters. "It was very brave of them to come out and express their views."

"It does show that I did not get a fair trial."

At the same time, he said their statements did not change the verdict. "Right now I am still convicted of three felonies," said Rosenthal, whose books include "Marijuana Grower's Handbook: The Indoor High Yield Guide" and "Marijuana Question? Ask Ed."

"What they did has no legal ramifications ... But by the end of the case I believe will be found innocent," he said, referring to his efforts to overturn the decision on appeal.

The Rosenthal case marks the latest battle over medical marijuana between the nation's most populous state and the federal government, which has recently been cracking down on California clubs providing the drug to ill patients.

Nine states, including California, allow medical use of marijuana under state law, but the federal government prohibits such use.

This story is here.

SEE THESE PICTURES RELATED TO THIS STORY.

If the brothers and sisters out there need a reason to get involved... THIS IS IT!

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Edited by Jammer (02/05/03 06:59 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Ed Rosenthal (Pot Grow God) Convicted of Three Felonies!! [Re: Jammer]
    #1283080 - 02/05/03 07:07 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineJammer

#1283084 - 02/05/03 07:09 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Would the mods of this forum mind moving this post to the political forum where it belongs?

hehe :smirk:- sorry guys. 

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Loc: TEXUS
    #1283211 - 02/05/03 08:35 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

what do you expect when you grow marijuana?

--------------------
Not necessarily stoned, but beautiful

OfflineJammer

Re: Ed Rosenthal (Pot Grow God) Convicted of Three Felonies!! [Re: A0999]
    #1283232 - 02/05/03 08:52 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

You sound like a lawer

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

OfflineJammer

Re: Ed Rosenthal (Pot Grow God) Convicted of Three Felonies!! [Re: World Spirit]
    #1283318 - 02/05/03 10:19 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The question now is:
What can we, those of us who are legal, law-abiding American citizens registered to vote, do to help?

Someone answer. I'm all ears.
I might not agree with Mr. Rosenthal's overall beliefs but how can any of us condemn a man who consumed a plant that God put on the earth?

Well, if your a "legal, law-abiding American citizen..", as you say then the only thing that you can do is to TRY TO CHANGE THE DAMM LAWS!

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
    #1283336 - 02/05/03 10:52 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

****what do you expect when you grow marijuana? *****

to be left alone.....is that too much to ask? Growing MJ is no different from growing any other plant, including tabbacco.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

InvisibleG a n j a
Pictish and proud
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1283436 - 02/06/03 01:05 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Dam poor old ed :frown: i got my first cultivation book"The Bible"15 years ago and its was writen by ed hes been a hero of mine for that amount of time and i still use the book for refference

Dam  

--------------------
er

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

Re: Ed Rosenthal (Pot Grow God) Convicted of Three Felonies!! [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1283831 - 02/06/03 04:45 AM (21 years, 1 month ago)

he is a cool guy and he writes good books, but im just saying if your growing marijuana in the u.s. , then there is a big chance that you may get caught after a while.

--------------------

OfflineJammer

#1286807 - 02/06/03 07:15 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

I just want to apoligise for being so grumpy last night...

I'm still battling the flu here... and when I re-read what I said in this thread.... well, what can i say....

I sure seem grumpy last night... hehe :smirk:

I dont usally act so defensive... damm I hate acting in such a way.

No ofense was atended to anyone... (in case anyone thinks that)- just had to say this.  :smile:

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Edited by Jammer (02/06/03 07:16 PM)

OfflineA0999
Disco ish
 User Gallery

#1286814 - 02/06/03 07:19 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

you didnt offend me , you made a point about changing the laws though, but we are governed by the gun.

--------------------

OfflineJammer

#1300386 - 02/11/03 02:52 PM (21 years, 1 month ago)

Well, if I didnt offend you back when I was sick with the flu, perhaps I can offend you now.. (lol) - You see, I'm currently on "sick leave" waiting for an operation. LMAO!

I hates it when body parts dont want to work  :smirk:

Please dont misunderstand- I really did have the flu a few days ago, and now i really am on sick leave untill I have an operation. (what luck, eh?)     

--------------------
>>Jammer>>

Edited by Jammer (02/11/03 05:37 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies